If you had to vote today

Discussion in 'General' started by AWerner, Jul 5, 2007.

?

If you had to vote today for U.S. President, who would you pick?

1. Biden, Joe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Clinton, Hillary

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dodd, Chris

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Edwards, John

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Giuliani, Rudy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Huckabee, Mike

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. McCain, John

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Obama, Barack

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Paul, Ron

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Romney, Mitt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Thompson, Fred

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. a1cbrandy

a1cbrandy Well-Known Member

The reason why I vote Replublican first...abortion. If the candidate does not support pro-life stance then he or SHE doesnt get my vote.

The reason I would never ever vote for Hillary? She has some crazy ideas about immigration..and I cant stand the woman (or man clinton either).

The military is very important to me. If they dont support the military..they dont get my support.

It can be based on a lot of things.

Brandy

2. twinstuff-old

twinstuff-old Well-Known Member

I do think that everyone is going to learn a lot more about Fred Thompson if he ever officially decides to enter the race. Today's LA Times has a lengthy article that indicates he lobbied for a pro-abortion work while a Washington DC lawyer back in the early 1990s. He denies he did the lobbying work but former colleagues of his and the group that hired his law firm find his denial of that work "bizarre".

It's not a major story, but it shows that once folks do enter high political races these days that everything pretty much gets scrutinized and that there are probably a lot of things we just don't know about Fred Thompson that will come to light once he does make up his mind on whether he is going to run for President.

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na...=la-home-center

3. Trish_e

Trish_e Well-Known Member

I found these links that put Thompson in a nice position. I'm still looking for the link from Fox News that said they both have 45%. I know it was one of their morning shows. :)

The thing that I find the most interesting is that he hasn't even announced yet. I'm wondering what will happen when he does. It makes me think that he'll have a really good chance once he announces and people start to look closer at him.

Thompson ahead of GOP

Hillary vs Thompson

4. mar66rus2

mar66rus2 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(kma13 @ Jul 7 2007, 12:52 PM) [snapback]320662[/snapback]
    Bush... my main problem with him is that the military and the 'War' are not the only things going on...his domestic policy is a wreck, education is a mess, his energy policy SUCKS, and he is ignoring many economic issues. And FWIW all the military people I know personally are not fans of a man who got us into a quagmire of a war with no way out. I am not military but I have good friends in the Navy and Marines. While Clinton's policies weren't perfect he used 'behind the scenes' tactics to deal with terrorists, and didn't get 1000's of our service men and women killed. JMO.

Amen to that!! That is ALL he talks abouts and deals with. Our economy sucks bad....especially around here. Our health care is getting out of control. Our eduction system is not good....schools are constantly cutting teachers around here b/c of budgeting problems. The list goes on and on....Thank goodness his time is coming to an end!!

We are so worried about making other countries better, but our own. Open your eyes people....we are becoming a possible 3rd world country. The rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer....there won't be a middle class anymore!

I could go on for days with Bush bashing, but this topic is about our future president.....not the current one....he is gone in a 1.5 yrs no matter what!

April

5. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

QUOTE(a1cbrandy @ Jul 7 2007, 09:59 AM) [snapback]320720[/snapback]
    The reason why I vote Replublican first...abortion. If the candidate does not support pro-life stance then he or SHE doesnt get my vote.

Brandy

Then what will you do if Guiliani is the Republican candidate? He is pro-choice. I honestly hope he does run, because abortion shouldn't be an issue that decides a presidential election, and if he is the Rupublican candidate, it will take that issue off the boards. I am honestly more concerned about our children, education, jobs, and getting us out of Iraq than I am about an issue that was decided by the supreme court almost 40 years ago!

6. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

Then what will you do if Guiliani is the Republican candidate? He is pro-choice. I honestly hope he does run, because abortion shouldn't be an issue that decides a presidential election, and if he is the Rupublican candidate, it will take that issue off the boards. I am honestly more concerned about our children, education, jobs, and getting us out of Iraq than I am about an issue that was decided by the supreme court almost 40 years ago!

I was trying to type the same thing - however you did it much more eloquently than I could have...

7. Donita

Donita Well-Known Member

:clapping: Sharon and April

8. marieta

marieta Well-Known Member

QUOTE(mar66rus2 @ Jul 7 2007, 02:18 PM) [snapback]320732[/snapback]
    Amen to that!! That is ALL he talks abouts and deals with. Our economy sucks bad....especially around here. Our health care is getting out of control. Our eduction system is not good....schools are constantly cutting teachers around here b/c of budgeting problems. The list goes on and on....Thank goodness his time is coming to an end!!

We are so worried about making other countries better, but our own. Open your eyes people....we are becoming a possible 3rd world country. The rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer....there won't be a middle class anymore!

I could go on for days with Bush bashing, but this topic is about our future president.....not the current one....he is gone in a 1.5 yrs no matter what!

April

I don't like Bush but wanted to say that a lot of these issues are really handled by your state/local gov't. It would do more for our country if we were more involved in local politics.

And I didn't vote because I have no candidate I believe in, which I find really depressing.

9. a1cbrandy

Abortion issues are very important to me. I happen to believe the future is in dire straights because abortion is legal. I will vote for the person who believes abortion is wrong....so Guillan will not get my vote unless he makes his mind up to be a better candiate and fight for the lives of our unborn who do not have a voice.

Its good we can agree to disagree. I would hate to see what life would be like here if all the issues I cared about were your issues...and vice versa....:)

Brandy

10. missmomoftwins02

missmomoftwins02 Well-Known Member

(a1cbrandy @ Jul 7 2007, 09:59 AM)
    The reason why I vote Replublican first...abortion. If the candidate does not support pro-life stance then he or SHE doesnt get my vote.Brandy

Then what will you do if Guiliani is the Republican candidate? He is pro-choice.

Ron Paul doesn't state whether he is exactly PRO CHOICE or PRO LIFE, but it does say this on Wikipedia:
    Paul opposes any federal regulation of abortion, gun control, capital punishment, gay marriage, or education.

I personally feel the same way as Brandy on this issue. I am PRO LIFE and would not vote for anyone--Republican or not (Which Paul and Gulliani are Republicans)-- if they are going to be PRO CHOICE or at least continue to allow unneccesary abortions (I feel taht if the life of the mother is in jeopardy, or it is a case of rape or incest, then abortion is an option).

11. Trish_e

QUOTE(a1cbrandy @ Jul 7 2007, 11:31 AM) [snapback]320794[/snapback]
    Abortion issues are very important to me. I happen to believe the future is in dire straights because abortion is legal. I will vote for the person who believes abortion is wrong....so Guillan will not get my vote unless he makes his mind up to be a better candiate and fight for the lives of our unborn who do not have a voice.

Brandy, I agree completely. I also will not vote for someone that thinks its ok to murder our unborn children.

12. a1cbrandy

Actually Ron Paul is pro-life.

Here is what I found...

Life and Liberty
    The right of an innocent, unborn child to life is at the heart of the American ideals of liberty. My professional and legislative record demonstrates my strong commitment to this pro-life principle.

In 40 years of medical practice, I never once considered performing an abortion, nor did I ever find abortion necessary to save the life of a pregnant woman.

In Congress, I have authored legislation that seeks to define life as beginning at conception, HR 1094.

I am also the prime sponsor of HR 300, which would negate the effect of Roe v Wade by removing the ability of federal courts to interfere with state legislation to protect life. This is a practical, direct approach to ending federal court tyranny which threatens our constitutional republic and has caused the deaths of 45 million of the unborn.

I have also authored HR 1095, which prevents federal funds to be used for so-called “population control.”

Many talk about being pro-life. I have taken direct action to restore protection for the unborn.

As an OB/GYN doctor, I’ve delivered over 4,000 babies. That experience has made me an unshakable foe of abortion. Many of you may have read my book, Challenge To Liberty, which champions the idea that there cannot be liberty in a society unless the rights of all innocents are protected. Much can be understood about the civility of a society in observing its regard for the dignity of human life

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/issues/

Which is one reason I would def. vote for him!!!

Brandy

13. lleddinger

lleddinger Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Donita @ Jul 6 2007, 02:49 PM) [snapback]319966[/snapback]
    Me too me too!!!

Wouldn't that be great!!

14. Monika

Monika Well-Known Member

[SIZE=24pt] :a_smil09: :banana: GO RON PAUL!!!! :banana: :a_smil09: [/SIZE]

15. Tasha

Tasha Well-Known Member

QUOTE(sharongl @ Jul 7 2007, 09:23 AM) [snapback]320738[/snapback]

If you are concerned more about "our children" then wouldn't you be pro-life?????? I hate to burst a bubble, but that issue alone effects a lot more than what was just 40 years ago. Sometimes I find it hard to believe that people who are mothers could ever be pro-choice. ?????

16. Tasha

Tasha Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to those insights into Obama's past that he has a Muslim background? Is anyone concerned about him running our country?

And if Hillary is so "intuitive" and "motherly" does that really fit the bill for Commander and Chief of such things as the military? Foreign affairs? YIKES!

17. Trish_e

QUOTE(Tasha @ Jul 7 2007, 02:12 PM) [snapback]320941[/snapback]
    Whatever happened to those insights into Obama's past that he has a Muslim background? Is anyone concerned about him running our country?

This scares the crap out of me!!!!!! I can't believe people thinks he would be a good President after being raised by a extreme Muslim. I don't understand how people can just dismiss these things. If we want to keep America safe we need to keep people raise by extreme Muslims out of office. He is the worse thing for our country. JMO

18. Trish_e

QUOTE(Tasha @ Jul 7 2007, 02:12 PM) [snapback]320941[/snapback]
    And if Hillary is so "intuitive" and "motherly" does that really fit the bill for Commander and Chief of such things as the military? Foreign affairs? YIKES!

I'd hate to see what she would do to our military. I thought Bill Clinton was bad, I'm sure Hillary will be worse.

19. a1cbrandy

QUOTE(Tasha @ Jul 7 2007, 01:08 PM) [snapback]320940[/snapback]
    If you are concerned more about "our children" then wouldn't you be pro-life?????? I hate to burst a bubble, but that issue alone effects a lot more than what was just 40 years ago. Sometimes I find it hard to believe that people who are mothers could ever be pro-choice. ?????

Couldnt AGREE more. I am very suprised by this also...

Brandy

20. a1cbrandy

QUOTE(Trish_e @ Jul 7 2007, 01:19 PM) [snapback]320947[/snapback]
    I'd hate to see what she would do to our military. I thought Bill Clinton was bad, I'm sure Hillary will be worse.

We wont have a military if she gets in office. She will get rid of it all...and think we can be a strong country without men and women serving to protect our freedoms. Its really a scary thought...

Brandy

21. Monika

Monika Well-Known Member

We need to be careful and make it NOT a abortion debate. This never goes well! :huh:

22. a1cbrandy

QUOTE(Trish_e @ Jul 7 2007, 01:17 PM) [snapback]320946[/snapback]
    This scares the crap out of me!!!!!! I can't believe people thinks he would be a good President after being raised by a extreme Muslim. I don't understand how people can just dismiss these things. If we want to keep America safe we need to keep people raise by extreme Muslims out of office. He is the worse thing for our country. JMO

I wont vote for anyone who thinks Americans are infidels. :unsure: Isnt that what exterme Muslims believe? I will have to do more research on him and his family. But if his religion hates America..what kind of President would he really be??

Brandy

23. Trish_e

QUOTE(a1cbrandy @ Jul 7 2007, 02:41 PM) [snapback]320968[/snapback]
    I wont vote for anyone who thinks Americans are infidels. :unsure: Isnt that what exterme Muslims believe? I will have to do more research on him and his family. But if his religion hates America..what kind of President would he really be??

Definitely research it. His father and step father were extreme Muslim. :( He was sent to a Catholic school when he was older, but the fact that his family hates America doesn't sit well with me.

ETA: Here is a link that I found, I think its really interesting.
    Obama

24. twinstuff-old

If anyone wants to learn more about Obama a good place would be to read either of the two books he's written, "The Audactiy of Hope" or "Dreams from My Father". The latter is more autobiographical. I read the former and don't recall anything in there that describes being raised by an "extreme Muslim". Regardless of how he was raised, it's a little ignorant to express fear that Muslims hate America or think we're infidels. If you can find something in the Koran that specifically states Muslims should hate Americans, I'd be happy to stand corrected. To me, that's the same as someone in another country stating that Christians are taught in the Bible to hate Islam which I'm pretty sure would hurt most Christians if they heard those opinions.

As for foreign affairs, probably the candidate out there with the most experience abroad is Bill Richardson. Almost every other candidate thus far in 2008 has very little foreign affairs experience. But then again, so did President Bush before he took office. I'm not sure I understand the earlier reference to motherly and foreign affairs. Perhaps that can be elaborated somewhat. I just believe that experience in foreign affairs is experience in foreign affairs regardless of whether it's been done by a man or woman.

I guess as long as i'm covering some different subjects I might as well offer the final view that I personally would like to see someone elected who will tighten our military and defense contractor spending (which I believe is excessive and not scrutinized closely enough to search for waste and fraud) and divert some of that funding into more needed social and educational programs. I believe that will make us a safer and more well-rounded nation and not hurt us one bit.

ETA - I see a post was made right before mine with a link to a blog expressing opinions on Barack Obama's faith. I hope that anyone who follows that link and reads it realizes it's not a legitimate news source - it's just a blog written by someone with a message they want to express. There are far better places to research subjects than personal blogs. Students wouldn't be able to quote blogs in research reports in school and there's a reason for that.

25. a1cbrandy

Very Interesing article. Thanks for sharing.

Brandy

26. Monika

Monika Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Trish_e @ Jul 7 2007, 01:47 PM) [snapback]320976[/snapback]
    He was sent to a Catholic school when he was older, but the fact that his family hates America doesn't sit well with me.

This is a big deal to me too. I just CAN'T imagine him as the US President. :(

27. Trish_e

QUOTE(twinstuff @ Jul 7 2007, 03:01 PM) [snapback]320993[/snapback]
    Regardless of how he was raised, it's a little ignorant to express fear that Muslims hate America or think we're infidels. If you can find something in the Koran that specifically states Muslims should hate Americans, I'd be happy to stand corrected.

I never said Muslims hate America, I said extreme Muslim. Extreme Muslim have twisted the Koran to fit their views. And yes, extreme Muslims hate America and think we are the infidels. What do you think Bin Ladin is?

28. twinstuff-old

QUOTE(Trish_e @ Jul 7 2007, 02:09 PM) [snapback]320998[/snapback]
    I never said Muslims hate America, I said extreme Muslim. Extreme Muslim have twisted the Koran to fit their views. And yes, extreme Muslims hate America and think we are the infidels. What do you think Bin Ladin is?

What is your source for stating that "his family hates America" (referring to Obama's family)? And it was someone else who quoted your comment who added the thought that " (if) his religion hates America", but I believe that all of those comments that imply that someone who grew up as a Muslim is not suited to be U.S. President are unfair and untrue. It's those kind of thoughts that have been prevalent against other faiths, genders and races in American history and we need to get past that dangerous thought process. I know we have a long way to go still as a society and perhaps this 2008 campaign can do some good in that regard.

29. mar66rus2

QUOTE(marieta @ Jul 7 2007, 03:05 PM) [snapback]320776[/snapback]
    I don't like Bush but wanted to say that a lot of these issues are really handled by your state/local gov't. It would do more for our country if we were more involved in local politics.

And I didn't vote because I have no candidate I believe in, which I find really depressing.

No Child Left Behind - Bush. What a dump that is.....b/c standardize testing defines a child...yeah right. Also has to do with the amount of state funding a school gets....the worse your school does, the less you get.

Gas prices which then has raised our grocery prices....he plays a part in it. Health care on the rise and benefits being decreased....pretty much nation wide. Jobs going overseas and to other countries....nationwide.

April

30. HeyThere

HeyThere Well-Known Member

QUOTE(AWerner @ Jul 5 2007, 08:12 PM) [snapback]318997[/snapback]
    I know the election is still pretty far away but we are getting excited already in our house for a change. So I was curious who TS moms and dads are liking so far.

Sen. Brownback (KS) wasnt on your list! I dont follow too closely... has he backed out? Well he is my first choice. Mitt Romney is my second. If neither of them, then I dont know!

31. admomom

admomom Well-Known Member

If anyone has PROOF that Obama is/was/would like to be a Muslim radical then TELLL THE FBI AND HOMELAND SECURITY! Oh, and don't forget about the Secret Service that is watching him 24-7. Please do not be naive enough to fall for this. The internet "news" about his "secret" of being an extremist Muslim started when he ran for the senate in 2004. Don't you think someone in the Pentagon would have at least checked before they let him go to Washington?

Set an example for your children and THINK before you propagate ignorant, intolerant and racist views.

And you can PM me if you want to debate this further - but I'm sure we all have more important things to do.

QUOTE(Trish_e @ Jul 7 2007, 02:47 PM) [snapback]320976[/snapback]
    Definitely research it. His father and step father were extreme Muslim. :( He was sent to a Catholic school when he was older, but the fact that his family hates America doesn't sit well with me.

32. mar66rus2

I am definetly not a fan of abortion...especially after going through IF. However, I wouldn't vote for someone based on it. There are way more problems in this country that need to be looked at first.

The war in Iraq is pretty much Vietnam....pointless. Like someone else mentioned....what happened to war on terror which involved al-Quida and bin laden....not Iraq. We have lost over 3000 of our military for what? It is sickening. If we are going to lose our military, it is this way and from the war. A very good friend of ours went into the NAVY a few months ago. Was told a bunch of bs before boot camp....got to boot camp and found out that he was going to Marine camp after boot camp then to Iraq as a Marine. Luckily, he missed it by 4 people and is going to Japan. The majority of the crew in his boot camp though are going to Iraq. Sad.

Also, our there is more to this country than the military. Do we need it....definetly. Not only for the war on terror (not Iraq), but also for when disasters happen here in our own country. We need them here too. We have families to raise and educate. We need our jobs to stay here (though Clinton is part to blame for that...NAFTA). We need to get control over our health care costs (can't believe some of the costs from this pregnancy compared to DD's). It is scary for our children and for us for when we get older and want to retire. We talk about being concerned about our children....look at this stuff.

April

33. Monika

Monika Well-Known Member

QUOTE(DCMom @ Jul 7 2007, 02:36 PM) [snapback]321029[/snapback]
    If anyone has PROOF that Obama is/was/would like to be a Muslim radical then TELLL THE FBI AND HOMELAND SECURITY! Oh, and don't forget about the Secret Service that is watching him 24-7. Please do not be naive enough to fall for this. The internet "news" about his "secret" of being an extremist Muslim started when he ran for the senate in 2004. Don't you think someone in the Pentagon would have at least checked before they let him go to Washington?

Set an example for your children and THINK before you propagate ignorant, intolerant and racist views.

And you can PM me if you want to debate this further - but I'm sure we all have more important things to do.

Why so angry?

I thought we were talking about his family, who said HE was a radical muslim?

You too, set an example for your children and calm down. :)

34. Trish_e

Excuse me but I AM NOT RACIST!!!!!!!!!!

BTW: Obama spent 2 years at a Muslim school in Indonesia and there is some reports that Wahhabism was the curriculum there, which is a problem because they start with "We hate America" and work their way back from there.

For the record I never said he was a extreme Muslim. I do not trust the guy and everything makes me a little uneasy when it comes to him.

35. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

Ditto! I really hope she does not win! She scares the heck out of me! and that voice...yuck!