If you had to vote today

Discussion in 'General' started by AWerner, Jul 5, 2007.

?

If you had to vote today for U.S. President, who would you pick?

1. Biden, Joe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Clinton, Hillary

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dodd, Chris

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Edwards, John

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Giuliani, Rudy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Huckabee, Mike

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. McCain, John

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Obama, Barack

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Paul, Ron

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Romney, Mitt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Thompson, Fred

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. avaoliviamom

avaoliviamom Well-Known Member

Giuliani or McCain.

I'll pass on another Clinton administration

2. monie rose

monie rose Well-Known Member

I'd vote for Hillary, we need a woman in office. I think it would be a very nice change for once, she can't do any worse then her predecessor has!

3. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

I don't think any of them could do as bad as dubya....

sorry to all the republicans but Bush stinks!

4. Tam1969

Tam1969 Well-Known Member

I really like Rudy because of how he handled himself during 911. He seems like the most presidental one so far. I do like Mike Huckabee since I live in Arkansas. He is a really good man and has done great things for Arkansas while in office. My DH has run with him in a Little Rock running group a few times. I would like to see him as a vice presidental running mate to someone.

5. a1cbrandy

a1cbrandy Well-Known Member

QUOTE(AmynTony @ Jul 6 2007, 04:01 PM) [snapback]320090[/snapback]
    I don't think any of them could do as bad as dubya....

sorry to all the republicans but Bush stinks!

Clinton wasnt much better. :) No person will be...because they are all human and make mistakes. Honestly we can vote for the person we "feel" is best for our views for this country. No one is going to be 100 %. I love the Presidental Elections...and cant wait to vote...for another Replublican!!!! LOL

Brandy

6. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

but whoever gets my vote will be a democrat.

Exactly what I wanted to say :)

It is DEFINITELY time for a change.

7. Jersey_Girls

Jersey_Girls Well-Known Member

QUOTE(a1cbrandy @ Jul 6 2007, 03:18 PM) [snapback]319909[/snapback]
    Not that this is the place for it...But I still like President Bush..and stand behind him. He is great for the military...:)
    Brandy

Just wondering...If by some chance you were able to have Bush as president for another 4 years.. would you vote for him?

Great for the military? Care to elaborate?

8. Trish_e

Trish_e Well-Known Member

QUOTE(missmomoftwins @ Jul 6 2007, 03:10 PM) [snapback]319888[/snapback]
    Probably Romney...not 100% sure of that yet. This has nothing to do with the fact that I am LDS (Mormon). I just like his political views. If not Romney, then definately a Republican!

I was surprised to see how many people said that if Thompson didn't run they would vote for Romney. So far most of what I have heard of Romney even from the Republicans is that they would NEVER vote for a "Mormon President." Heck I have even heard some LDS say they wouldn't vote for Romey.

I don't care that he is Mormon at all. I personal don't have the same religious beliefs as him, but he is conservative and has the same conservative beliefs as me. :) I really don't want to see a democrat in office especially Obama or Clinton, even Giuliani, in my opinion hes running on the wrong ticket. :)

QUOTE(a1cbrandy @ Jul 6 2007, 03:18 PM) [snapback]319909[/snapback]
    Not that this is the place for it...But I still like President Bush..and stand behind him. He is great for the military...:)
    Brandy

Amen sister!!!!!!!!!!

9. Trish_e

QUOTE(Tasha @ Jul 6 2007, 02:35 PM) [snapback]319827[/snapback]
    I am glad this was posted! It made me learn more about the ones I didn't know much about. And I didn't change my vote, but learned why I would be an even stronger voter for Mike Huckabee.

Check out: [topic="Mike Huckabee"]http://www.mikehuckabee.com[/topic]

I am surprised to see so many for Hillary.....I can't see that lady in command of our country....that would make me feel totally unsafe in this U.S. of A.

He is another really good candidate. :) The problem with Huckabee is that he isn't well known. He needs to campaign more and get his name out there. If he does than he may have a chance. :)

10. Orestia

Orestia Well-Known Member

I may not agree with a candidate, but I think it's awesome that you guys have good reasons to support them.

*VENT -- Ignore if you don't want to listen to me whine about my family*

My MIL is all for Clinton. Her problem is that she wants to vote for her because "she's a woman." My husband just had a conversation with her about 10 minutes ago that was funny as heck to listen too.

MIL: I like Hillary. She's a strong woman. It's about time to have a strong woman in the White House.
    Hubby: So you're voting for her because she's a woman?
    MIL: Yes!
    Hubby: Name your favorite policies of hers.
    MIL: I don't know. She's just a strong woman.
    Hubby: You grew up in Nazi occupied Austria. As a child, you were forced to donate blood to Nazi soldiers. You then lived in the hills after your town was bombed out and ate nothing but water and potatoes for God knows how long. You waited 13 years to get citizenship to be an American. You're voting for someone on the basis that she has udders and a noob chute?
    MIL: Oh. I hadn't thought of it that way.
    Hubby: No? Really?

My mom's not much better. She's voting for Thompson because she "really liked him in Law & Order." Seriously. Susan B. Anthony, why did you even bother :(.

11. Gordana

Gordana Well-Known Member

I love Barack Obama. He is incredible. I really hope he gets elected.

12. Jersey_Girls

QUOTE(Orestia @ Jul 6 2007, 07:32 PM) [snapback]320249[/snapback]
    I may not agree with a candidate, but I think it's awesome that you guys have good reasons to support them.

My MIL is all for Clinton. Her problem is that she wants to vote for her because "she's a woman." My husband just had a conversation with her about 10 minutes ago that was funny as heck to listen too.

MIL: I like Hillary. She's a strong woman. It's about time to have a strong woman in the White House.
    Hubby: You grew up in Nazi occupied Austria. As a child, you were forced to donate blood to Nazi soldiers. You then lived in the hills after your town was bombed out and ate nothing but water and potatoes for God knows how long. You waited 13 years to get citizenship to be an American. You're voting for someone on the basis that she has udders and a noob chute?
    Hubby: No? Really

My mom's not much better. She's voting for Thompson because she "really liked him in Law & Order." Seriously. Susan B. Anthony, why did you even bother :(.

Udders and a noob chute? Kind of offensive to equate women to cows but anyways.....

What's the difference between someone wanting to vote for someone because they are a "woman" and someone who is voting for someone simply because the are "Republican" or "Democratic". At least your MIL appreciates a "strong woman". Some people simply won't vote for her because she IS a woman. I find that more disheartening.

13. Orestia

QUOTE(Jersey_Girls @ Jul 6 2007, 06:49 PM) [snapback]320275[/snapback]
    Udders and a noob chute? Kind of offensive to equate women to cows but anyways.....

The offense was entirely intentional. Unless she's poked into action, my MIL doesn't necessarily listen to what you're saying to her and will happily agree with everything you say.

What's the difference between someone wanting to vote for someone because they are a "woman" and someone who is voting for someone simply because the are "Republican" or "Democratic".

I agree that people should be open to voting across party lines. However, both parties hold basic core values that most people can identify with and/or support after some fashion. Voting on the basis of gender is more like voting for whoever's dad had the snappiest sperm. It doesn't mean that you really have anything in common with them.

At least your MIL appreciates a "strong woman". Some people simply won't vote for her because she IS a woman. I find that more disheartening.

I completely agree with not excluding candidates based solely on race/gender. It's painfully silly. What I find both sad and funny is that, after actually learning about her policies and views, it turns out my MIL is completely opposed to most of what Clinton thinks. And, she was going to vote for her... just because she was a woman. *sigh*

*No, I'm not interested in bashing Clinton or any other candidate. Each of them represents a different slice of the American Dream. I have plenty of family who are planning on voting for her and other runners because they like their policies, I just get ticked when people vote blindly after we've fought so hard to actually have the RIGHT to vote.

14. Tasha

Tasha Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Orestia @ Jul 6 2007, 06:32 PM) [snapback]320249[/snapback]

Hubby: No? Really?

Unfortunately, that is the way a lot of people are going to vote. They don't read all the stances for someone, but vote because they are on this "I am woman, hear me roar" kick.

15. heathernd

heathernd Well-Known Member

UGH....I wish I were more politically savvy. It would make my choice a little easier to be fully informed of each candidate's history/campaign/etc. I am a liberal conservative (left-wing conservative; right-wing democrat), so if anyone knows a candidate like this, I am all ears.

16. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Just a thought for those of you who don't live in the Tri-State area. I was listening to a radio show yesterday morning and a man called in talking about Guiliani. One of his points was that while he handled 9/11 well--up until that point he was basically a tyrant. This man lived in NYC up until 9/11 and really had nothing good to say about Guiliani. So those of you who want to vote for him based on how he did with 9/11 may want to look back at his record before that day.

17. AWerner

AWerner Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Orestia @ Jul 6 2007, 04:45 PM) [snapback]319622[/snapback]
    I :wub: [SIZE=14pt]Ron Paul[/SIZE]!

http://www.ronpaul2008.com

try www.freeme.tv

you have to see the cartoon of the first debate :rotflmbo:

18. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

It would probably be easier for me to say out of the candidates listed on the poll who I would NOT vote for: Hillary, Joe Biden or John Edwards. I don't care really which party the candidate I vote for is affiliated with, and in fact, if Michael Bloomberg were to run as an Independent, he would have my vote as of right now.

19. Orestia

QUOTE(heathernd @ Jul 6 2007, 08:00 PM) [snapback]320341[/snapback]
    UGH....I wish I were more politically savvy. It would make my choice a little easier to be fully informed of each candidate's history/campaign/etc. I am a liberal conservative (left-wing conservative; right-wing democrat), so if anyone knows a candidate like this, I am all ears.

I know! There are a lot of contenders out there right now and it's hard to keep track. My husband put this together a while back, I think it's still basically current as far as candidates go. (If I've left anyone out, someone please correct me!!)

Democrats
    Hillary Clinton (D): http://www.hillaryclinton.com/issues/
    Barack Obama (D): http://origin.barackobama.com/issues/
    Joe Biden (D): http://www.joebiden.com/issues/
    Christopher Dodd (D): http://www.chrisdodd.com/ (issues tab on far right)
    John Edwards (D): http://johnedwards.com/about/issues/
    Mike Gravel (D): http://www.gravel2008.us/
    Dennis Kucinich (D): http://kucinich.us/issues
    Bill Richardson (D): http://www.richardsonforpresident.com/issues/

Republicans
    Tom Tancredo ®: http://www.teamtancredo.com/tancredo_issues_index.asp
    Ron Paul ®: http://www.ronpaul2008.com/html/Issues_fx.html
    Rudy Guilliani ®: http://www.joinrudy2008.com/index.php?section=2
    John McCain ®: http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/Issues/
    Mitt Romney ®: https://www.mittromney.com/Issue-Watch/index
    Sam Brownback ®: http://www.brownback.com/s/Issues/tabid/60/Default.aspx
    Jim Gilmore ®: http://www.gilmoreforpresident.com/issues.php
    Mike Huckabee ®: http://www.explorehuckabee.com/index.cfm?F...&Issue_ID=2
    Duncan Hunter ®: http://www.gohunter08.com/inner.asp?z=4
    Tommy Thompson ®: http://www.tommy2008.com/On_The_Issues.aspx

20. Jersey_Girls

QUOTE(Orestia @ Jul 6 2007, 08:26 PM) [snapback]320315[/snapback]
    The offense was entirely intentional. Unless she's poked into action, my MIL doesn't necessarily listen to what you're saying to her and will happily agree with everything you say.
    I agree that people should be open to voting across party lines. However, both parties hold basic core values that most people can identify with and/or support after some fashion. Voting on the basis of gender is more like voting for whoever's dad had the snappiest sperm. It doesn't mean that you really have anything in common with them.
    I completely agree with not excluding candidates based solely on race/gender. It's painfully silly. What I find both sad and funny is that, after actually learning about her policies and views, it turns out my MIL is completely opposed to most of what Clinton thinks. And, she was going to vote for her... just because she was a woman. *sigh*

*No, I'm not interested in bashing Clinton or any other candidate. Each of them represents a different slice of the American Dream. I have plenty of family who are planning on voting for her and other runners because they like their policies, I just get ticked when people vote blindly after we've fought so hard to actually have the RIGHT to vote.

Is it possible that your MIL is voting for her because she identifies with her values as a woman rather then simply because of her anatomy? Is it possible that some women in this country feel like the majority of the politcians in this country (white men) do not sufficiently represent them? I think some of us want a woman to represent us because we know a woman (and mother) may hold ours and our childrens best interests at heart. I want to vote for Hillary for a number of reasons- but I think the fact that she is a woman, and I identify with her is the reason that I trust her more then I do the other people running.

21. bhayl

bhayl New Member

QUOTE(Jersey_Girls @ Jul 6 2007, 09:03 PM) [snapback]320427[/snapback]
    I think some of us want a woman to represent us because we know a woman (and mother) may hold ours and our childrens best interests at heart.
    Are you implying that men either do not or cannot hold our childrens best interest at heart? As a father I find that assertion extremely offensive.

22. MichelleS

MichelleS Well-Known Member

I'd go with Obama on the Democratic ticket. And, this is someone that voted for Bush and Replublican in every other election since I could vote. I feel like the country is in need of a change. Of course when it comes down to it I'll look at the two final candidates to select who I think is the better of the two.

Just a thought for those of you who don't live in the Tri-State area. I was listening to a radio show yesterday morning and a man called in talking about Guiliani. One of his points was that while he handled 9/11 well--up until that point he was basically a tyrant. This man lived in NYC up until 9/11 and really had nothing good to say about Guiliani. So those of you who want to vote for him based on how he did with 9/11 may want to look back at his record before that day.

I agree with Sharon. He did handle himself well during 9/11 (well, with the exception of telling people that it was safe to be there afterwards). But, my FIL who died in January due to 9/11 related health issues did not like him well before 9/11. It took years for NYC police officers and firemen to get contracts renewed. He wasn't well liked by the police force of NYC. I can tell you that if my FIL was alive he would not be voting for Guiliani.

23. Monika

Monika Well-Known Member

QUOTE(sharongl @ Jul 6 2007, 08:03 PM) [snapback]320345[/snapback]

I fully agree!

24. Orestia

Of course I want my candidate to win, but I think regardless of the outcome of the primaries, this is definitely going to be an invigorating election year :)

25. ~rosie~

~rosie~ Well-Known Member

QUOTE(missmomoftwins @ Jul 6 2007, 02:10 PM) [snapback]319888[/snapback]
    So far most of what I have heard of Romney even from the Republicans is that they would NEVER vote for a "Mormon President." Heck I have even heard some LDS say they wouldn't vote for Romey.

Uh...why not? What would be wrong with having a Mormon president?

QUOTE(Orestia @ Jul 6 2007, 06:32 PM) [snapback]320249[/snapback]

:rotflmbo: :yahoo: :rotflmbo: :Clap: :rotflmbo:

I think I'm in love with your husband! That is HILARIOUS!

26. a1cbrandy

QUOTE(Jersey_Girls @ Jul 6 2007, 05:14 PM) [snapback]320156[/snapback]
    Just wondering...If by some chance you were able to have Bush as president for another 4 years.. would you vote for him?

Great for the military? Care to elaborate?

Yes I would vote for him again. I think he has done a great job. And he stuck to his guns even when the media and democrats attacked him. He didnt back away from the terroist..like Clinton did. He is still standing strong against them. He made some tough decisions..but not by himself..and he is the only one getting blamed. Just look at the democrats who supported the war on terroism also...

He has boosted moral for the military by giving us better raises. I am a military wife...and was active duty myself..so I know who is and isnt good for the military morale and pay.

:)

Bush boosting military morale with pay raises

FORT STEWART, Ga. (AP) — - President Bush reassured U.S. troops Monday that he intends to lift military morale, carrying to the field a promise of $5.7 billion in new spending to improve quality of life in the armed services. ''If our military is to attract the best of America, we owe you the best,'' Bush told hundreds of cheering soldiers. Low pay and poor housing are hurting all branches of the military, he said. ''The result is predictable: Frustration is up, morale in some places is difficult to sustain, recruitment is hurt.''

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/20...12-military.htm

Old article..but it happened. :)

Brandy

27. missmomoftwins02

missmomoftwins02 Well-Known Member

(missmomoftwins @ Jul 6 2007, 02:10 PM)
    So far most of what I have heard of Romney even from the Republicans is that they would NEVER vote for a "Mormon President." Heck I have even heard some LDS say they wouldn't vote for Romey.

Uh...why not? What would be wrong with having a Mormon president?

I would not have a problem with it. I am LDS, but I am not going to vote for the guy just because he is LDS. I agree with his religion, but I still have to do more research on him and the other candidates to decide if I agree with his politics.

But there are others (LDS and non-LDS) that would have a problem with it b/c they fear that his religious beliefs would too much affect his politics. There are people that also think that he would allow the LDS Church to tell him how to run things...they are wrong, of course--the Church does not take a stand in politics one way or the other--but this is waht ppl think. We are not even allowed to use the Church buildings as polling locations or for any kind of campaigning.

I guess b/c many ppl think we are Satan worshippers (which we are not) and do not agree with our religious views, they feel taht having a Mormon in the White House would be bad for the USA.

Heck, Kennedy was Catholic and he was elected President. And no one thought that would never happen...so who knows what the future brings...There is great potential for some MAJOR changes in DC...look who we have running for Pres:
    Hillary Clinton--a woman
    Barak Obama--an African American
    Mitt Romney--LDS (Mormon)

Although I do not agree with most of the views of the Democrats, I would not have a problem having a woman or black guy in the White House either...if they were Republican ;)

28. Trish_e

I heard some interesting stats yesterday on Fox News. According to there statistics and polls Fred Thompson and Hillary Clinton are tied with 45% of the voters. I find this very interesting since Fred Thompson hasn't even announced yet. Its nice to see that the Republican Party may a good candidate to vote for. :)

29. Jersey_Girls

QUOTE(bhayl @ Jul 6 2007, 10:16 PM) [snapback]320443[/snapback]
    Are you implying that men either do not or cannot hold our childrens best interest at heart? As a father I find that assertion extremely offensive.

I think women leaders are more intuitive and have more experience when it comes to issues of the the family. Sorry- don't mean to offend. JMO.

30. kma13

kma13 Well-Known Member

It is interesting to see all the opinions... I wouldn't vote for Romney just because of the 'Big Dig' in Boston...anyone who botched that badly in a State would screw up the whole country! IMHO.

As for Guiliani... I do love that NYC was safer while he was mayor but he did seem to be dictatorial.....

Bush... my main problem with him is that the military and the 'War' are not the only things going on...his domestic policy is a wreck, education is a mess, his energy policy SUCKS, and he is ignoring many economic issues. And FWIW all the military people I know personally are not fans of a man who got us into a quagmire of a war with no way out. I am not military but I have good friends in the Navy and Marines. While Clinton's policies weren't perfect he used 'behind the scenes' tactics to deal with terrorists, and didn't get 1000's of our service men and women killed. JMO.

So I pick Obama.... I like Hillary BUT I think she is too polarizing to win and I think change is in order.

31. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

Just look at the democrats who supported the war on terroism also...

This is where you get tripped up. I fully support the war on terror. I want to know what happened to bin Laden? That was our target.

I don't support the war in Iraq, which had/has nothing to do with terror. Saddam had nothing to do with 9/11 and had no WMDs. If Bush had listened to his career intelligence agents, he would have known that.

32. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

I'll put my votes out there again.
    Bill Richardson - I think he has the international clout to earn our respect back. It's hard to be an American overseas right now.
    Chuck Hagel - I think he can clean up the Iraq mess.

I heard some interesting stats yesterday on Fox News. According to there statistics and polls Fred Thompson and Hillary Clinton are tied with 45% of the voters. I find this very interesting since Fred Thompson hasn't even announced yet. Its nice to see that the Republican Party may a good candidate to vote for.

I read stats yesterday in Newsweek that Hillary or Obama would spank all the Republican candidates, including Thompson. Disclaimer: my mail takes a while to get here, so those stats are about 2 weeks old.

Thompson really isn't that conservative. I'm surprised that he's become the darling of the Republicans. His more middle of the road stance may attract me to him, but I'm waiting to see if he declares and how far right he moves in the primary.

33. Jersey_Girls

QUOTE(a1cbrandy @ Jul 6 2007, 11:50 PM) [snapback]320532[/snapback]
    Yes I would vote for him again. I think he has done a great job. And he stuck to his guns even when the media and democrats attacked him. He didnt back away from the terroist..like Clinton did. He is still standing strong against them. He made some tough decisions..but not by himself..and he is the only one getting blamed. Just look at the democrats who supported the war on terroism also...

He has boosted moral for the military by giving us better raises. I am a military wife...and was active duty myself..so I know who is and isnt good for the military morale and pay.

Bush boosting military morale with pay raises

FORT STEWART, Ga. (AP) — - President Bush reassured U.S. troops Monday that he intends to lift military morale, carrying to the field a promise of $5.7 billion in new spending to improve quality of life in the armed services. ''If our military is to attract the best of America, we owe you the best,'' Bush told hundreds of cheering soldiers. Low pay and poor housing are hurting all branches of the military, he said. ''The result is predictable: Frustration is up, morale in some places is difficult to sustain, recruitment is hurt.''
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/20...12-military.htm

Old article..but it happened. :)

Brandy

WHOA- VERY OLD article. 2001? Yikes. Has he done anything else great for the military in the past 6 1/2 years?

34. a1cbrandy

QUOTE(Jersey_Girls @ Jul 7 2007, 08:37 AM) [snapback]320701[/snapback]
    WHOA- VERY OLD article. 2001? Yikes. Has he done anything else great for the military in the past 6 1/2 years?

I posted that one..because he really did what he said. Not like some democratic presidents who do not think the military is the reason we have our freedoms.

Still lovin and supporting my President!!! And proud to say that too...

Brandy

35. Jberman

Jberman Well-Known Member

Heck I have even heard some LDS say they wouldn't vote for Romey.

Same here, I am not a LDS but I have heard that as well.