I should be mean more often

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by rissakaye, Jun 20, 2013.

1. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The kids' behavior this summer has been okay, but it just seems like they've been real snippy and intolerant of each other more lately. They don't watch much tv, but they do play their ds's and we just got a kindle fire they've been playing some (daily time limits). I made a management decision yesterday and told them that they weren't having any screen time during the day today. If they were better today, I'd let Timothy play the kindle during Sarah's riding this evening and watch the NBA finals tonight while Sarah got a little kindle time.

They have been wonderful kids today. They were excited to go to the park and then to the library. They played together in the play room. It was a whole pretend game I didn't understand, but they loved. They helped me clean the storage room. They played a board game together. They've each gone off and read at times. It's probably been their best behaved day in months.

I think I sense an electronics restriction coming.

Marissa

1 person likes this.
  2. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Some time electronic restriction is a good thing. The girls dss have set in my room for almost a week but they have watched some tv but they don't normally just sit and only watch tv

3. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine are 3 but they lost TV privileges today (they don't have computer access right now) and their behavior/creative play was awesome, too. I think once a week I want to do a no screen time day.

4. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I'm going to try this. We've been doing way too much screen time on weekends lately because (a) we are doing a lot of painting, remodeling, reorganizing prepping for baby and need them distracted and not grabbing walls so we let them watch Netflix on the iPad and (b) DH and I are exhausted and putting a movie in is a good way to take a nap or relax. Since its only weekends, I will probably carry on until post-baby, but I do wonder how much it impacts behavior.

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We do one day of no screen time. I've noticed, especially since they like to look at DH's I-Phone that they will fight and argue over it. So now, they get 10 minutes each with the phone.
    I told DH, they need to know that phone is A) not theirs B) Most Important: NOT A TOY

6. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I notice a huge difference when I take the kindle away for a few days...its crazy!! It's like their brains just get irritable and need a break but they cant recognize it themselves. LOL!