I made it to 38 weeks! But...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by mrschenoweth, Apr 10, 2009.

1. mrschenoweth

mrschenoweth Well-Known Member

I can't believe I made it to 38 weeks with no problems! :yahoo: I remember in the very beginning being convinced (after reading twin prego books and this forum) that I would be put on bedrest and be lucky to make it to 36 weeks. Well, I had no bedrest or other problems luckily - except being sick all the time with colds etc. These babies are showing no signs of coming anytime soon (sorry if TMI but I haven't even lost my plug yet).

I have a c/s scheduled for Monday, the 13th. Like I mentioned above, I've been plagued with lots of colds and the flu (the hazards of working in a school). Last Friday my dr. put me on Amoxicillin for this really bad congestion I had for two weeks. It is working, but I have to take it for ten days which puts my last day as Monday. When I got home with the meds I read the paper that came with it. It said that it is excreted through breast milk and shouldn't be used if breastfeeding. Well, what am I supposed to do about bfing when they are born? Should I stop the meds a day early? My milk hasn't come in yet of course but I've been leaking colestrum for months now. Would that contain the meds I'm taking?

I plan on asking my dr. about this during my 38wk apt. this afternoon. I was just wondering if any on you have experienced something like this before or know something about it?

2. sfried93

sfried93 Well-Known Member

Wow!!! Congrats on making it to 38 weeks with no issues!!Great job mama!!!! I woudl ask your doctor at your next appt but I woudl agree that i woudl stop the amoxicillin a day or so early to make sure the babies don't get the meds themselves. i am sure all will be fine.

3. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

Even if you stop it early, it takes a while for it to get out of your system so it might still be there. I would talk with your doctor. When I had my c/s, I thought i had a UTI from the catheter and the doctor prescribed amox for me.

4. boog9902

boog9902 Well-Known Member

Congrats on making it this far!!!!!!!!!!

5. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say congratulations on 38 weeks :yahoo:!!!!!
    Def. talk to your OB about the meds ~ I am sure it will be OK :good:

6. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I searched this site http://www.rxlist.com/amoxicillin-drug.htm
    Sounds like it is in the blood system 8 hours after taken - didn't say how long it is found in breastmilk. Site also said to take for 48-72 hours after symptoms are alleviated - my pedi said 90% of people are fine after 7 days, they just do 10 days to be extra safe.
    Good luck

7. CHJH

CHJH Well-Known Member

Hi there. Mother Risk is an excellent, up-to-date, highly accurate resource for pregnant and breastfeeding mothers. It was set up by the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto. If you can't find what you need on their site, they'll talk to you on the phone and answer any questions about what drugs you should/shouldn't take FOR FREE, and they can often offer advice and alternatives. It's amazing!

http://www.motherisk.org/women/index.jsp OR (416) 813-6780 (well worth the long-distance call).

8. mrschenoweth

Thanks everyone! I talked to my OB today and he said it would be fine. In fact, he said he (and the other docs in the practice) prescribe Amox. for breast infections when women are bfing. I just might look into those web sites some you referred to me anyways.

Thanks again for all the support!!! :cool:

9. acjb2004

acjb2004 Well-Known Member

Wow congrats on making this far, great job! I agree with everyone talk to your OB/GYN as far as the meds go.

10. sreal02

sreal02 Well-Known Member

I read ahead & was glad to see that it was OK & nothing to worry about. ;)

It looks like we'll be having our babies on the same day!! I'm scheduled for a c/s on Monday 4/13---I'll be 37 weeks 6 days. We are so excited to meet our little guys. Best of luck to you & Congratulations!!

11. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

:yahoo: on making it to 38 weeks!!! Great job Mom! I'm glad your doctor said it was okay about the amox. :good:

12. mrschenoweth

QUOTE(Aimee_N @ Apr 11 2009, 11:22 AM) [snapback]1268876[/snapback]
    I read ahead & was glad to see that it was OK & nothing to worry about. ;)

It looks like we'll be having our babies on the same day!! I'm scheduled for a c/s on Monday 4/13---I'll be 37 weeks 6 days. We are so excited to meet our little guys. Best of luck to you & Congratulations!!

Congratulations to you too! :good: I can't wait to hold my little boy and girl although I have to admit, I'm a little nervous!

13. Angelsamb

Angelsamb Well-Known Member

CONGRATULATIONS! I hope you have a speedy recovery!