i just don't want to!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ddancerd1, Feb 22, 2010.

1. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

dh has been bugging me more and more to start potty training. i don't know that the girls are totally "there" yet. one will sit on the potty and then run off and lay on her diaper as soon as she has to pee. the other one will sit for a minute then get up and put the potty part on her head and run around the house bare butt like that. :blink: my mom said i should wait till spring time (or warmer weather) cuz it'll be easer...?

i'm just not quite ready. i don't know why.

anyone else feel/felt this way?

just needed to vent about it i guess.

ETA: it could be partly because i am terrified of the mess we'll have (i have OCD, and dirt and mess give me severe anxiety lol)

2. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

I felt like that too. :huh: And for us, my instincts were right. I wasn't ready but they weren't either. I tried a few times before it was actually time and when it was time :)wacko: Over usage of the word time :lol: ) it was easy and I knew they'd get it fast. I do agree with your mom on the warmer weather. Mine were in and out of the bathroom alot, or pantless for a bit and it was easier (especially for girls, dresses are so much easier) I mean, you can give it a try, it won't hurt... but do what makes you comfortable because PT'ing is quite frustrating (well, it was for me) and so you have to be mentally ready for that challenge. :good: I'm also quite obsessive about cleanliness and it made it easier on me to do one at a time instead of together. We did try together and being on top of the two of them all day was crazy for me. I had so much anxiety. :blush:

Good luck!!

3. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

If the kids are ready, it still can be a big headache for the parents. :hug: When my kids turned 2, my dh would come home from work sometimes and mention that our kids should be potty trained by now. :rolleyes: They weren't ready until they were just over 3 and then it was still a rough week!!! (or so) If they aren't really showing any signs, I'd hold off.

4. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

It sounds like if you did try to PT your twins, it would be pretty hard right now. (Especially given that one runs for a diaper to go pee!) Your DH probably has some very outdated ideas about how early kids are "supposed" to be PTed. There's nothing to gain from rushing it.

Ours showed some sporadic interest when they were your kids' age, but we didn't actually PT until just after the holidays this year - ie pretty close to their 3rd birthday. And when we did, it was a total breeze! Sure, they've had a few accidents here and there, but very few in the grand scheme of things. It didn't take very long until I could just leave them totally in charge of when to go to the potty chairs (instead of sitting them down periodically).

I don't have anything at my fingertips, but maybe someone here might have a good article about the timing of PTing to show your (clueless :rolleyes: ) DH?

5. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

Mine are 28 months and SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ready and I do NOT want to either!! I'm waiting til spring/summer. I do NOT want to. I'm too lazy! LOL. I'm waiting. No pressure!

6. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My twins were both over 3 years old when they were really ready. They showed signs earlier, but just weren't ready. I am trying to get there with Liam, who just turned 3, but he doesn't seem to know he's peeing until it's already in his underwear. So, I am still waiting.

7. *Sully*

*Sully* Well-Known Member

ITA. I think both of mine could easily train for #1, but not #2. I too am waiting until warmer weather and to be out of playschool for the summer. We do sit on the potty regularly here (when they ask, before baths and M-Th the sitter or teacher tries 1 time). They both go pee occassionally, DD more often than DS. We'll probably keep this up until I get ready to go full force.

8. foppa2102

foppa2102 Well-Known Member

my girls are only showing a few signs, but i'm also dreading this whole process and not looking forward to it. i wasn't aware that it was easier/better in the spring/summer.... guess that gives me another excuse to wait... lol.

9. lianyla

Easier/better in summer LOl cuz you can have them run around naked! Ha. And not have 200 pairs of clothes on to take off and pee thru and poop on. It's 10 degrees here in MN and I'm just not into the taking off 3 shirts and onesies 30 times a day thing. Plus, we're always out, ya know?

I am a lazy bum when it comes to changing peed on stuff and poop accidents. I'm all for waiting. Plus, it's all of those singleton parents telling me how they trained their kids early.. UM.. ya, but you had ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whole different ballgame my friend!

I'm waiting! And I'm cool w/ it!

10. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We barely "trained" ours. We showed them how to use the potty (they also learned at daycare) starting around age 2, and let them go whenever they wanted, but they stayed in diapers. Around age 2.5 we started actively encouraging them to use the potty, but they still stayed in diapers. We waited for them to tell us they wanted to give up the diapers, which was around age 3, and it went very smoothly. Pushing it is just more trouble for everyone! I would much rather change diapers for a few more months than spend all my time taking kids to the potty.

11. Buttercup1

Buttercup1 Well-Known Member

I felt the same way up until recently. My dd's have started to show readiness signs for months but I just wasn't ready to really push it. Until this past week, when one dd insisted on wearing panties. She's since regressed and now I'm a little bummed out. Plus I don't need see to train them together unless they both want to.

12. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We do the same here. I have them sit on the potty at regular times (when they ask, when they wake up, before & after naps, before bed)...they both have peed on the potty but not with regularity yet and they don't often tell me that they have to pee but they tell me after the fact.
    For your DD that runs to her diaper to pee, my DD said to me a couple of weeks ago, "Mommy, I want to pee in diaper." Then fast forward to this week and she is asking to use the potty some of the time. I'm just talking slow and when they are ready to go for the gusto, we'll go for it.

13. nurseandrea02

nurseandrea02 Well-Known Member

I was not ready when my DS Aiden showed signs. In fact, I frequently discouraged him because I was lazy. It wasn't until he stopped asking to go that I realized he was regressing & I might be missing my window! So, at 27 months, I decided to train him. Conner showed very little signs of being ready, so I focused on Aiden at first (plus, I figured it'd be nice to do one at a time). Conner had other plans & quickly trained himself! Actually, both essentially trained themselves, it was soooo easy for me! I'm so glad I did it when the BOYS chose they were ready. I never rushed them, just let them go when they asked, put them on before/after bath/bed/naptime, let them watch us go, etc. Aiden never had an accident after day 2 of training (still hasn't!) & Conner hasn't in months. Both boys nap trained at the same time as day trained. Conner is now SLEEPING overnight in big boy undies & has been dry for weeks (amazing since he was so far behind Aiden in readiness). Aiden still wears a Pull Up to bed & he's dry 2-3 days per week.

I was told to let your kids decide when they're ready & I did that. I often wonder how hard it would've been to train them had I continued to discourage them (I REALLY discouraged Conner at first b/c I was trying to focus on Aiden, but that stinker just trained himself instead!!!). One big thing that was nice for me was that I waited until they were able to pull up/down their pants without assistance. Made training a little less exhausting for me if they could go by themselves instead of me constantly having to go with them. We also kept potties in whatever room we were in, so training was essentially a breeze for us! By Day 3, we were out & about during the day (initially in Pull Ups, but they never had an accident), so it didn't even keep us home!

When your kids show signs...GO WITH IT! If they're not fully ready, just keep encouraging but don't discourage! Good luck...I dreaded potty training with every ounce of my being & it wasn't bad at all!!! We just packed up our potty chairs this past week, so at 2.5, they're independent on the big boy potty & we go through 2-3 Pull Ups per WEEK...much cheaper & much more convenient!!!

14. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Add me to the list of *I* don't want to! LOL! And I know our kids are only two days apart in age. I feel like there are many people around me(IRL and online) who are PT'ing their kids who are younger than my boys! I feel like a slacker! However-when I am with friends who have PT'd or in the process, I think I will *never* PT my kids! LOL! Such a freakin' hassle!

Anthony is showing signs. Nicholas could care less! Anthony will say, "Pee! Pee!" And he will sit on the toilet and go. More than once. He has said, "Poop!" And sure enough-he goes and poops. Every single time he sits on the toilet-he goes. Never fails. And there have been a few times where he was screeching for me to go on the potty, and I was busy with one of the other kids-but he kept yelling, "PEE! POOP! MAMA!" So-I felt horrible and ran in and got him undressed-and voila! He went! Stinker! LOL!

I'll ask Nicholas and he will just run the other way. If Anthony sees me going to the bathroom, he'll want to sit and go as well. FIL says the boys should be PT'd by now. I tell him to bite me-considering he did virtually nothing in raising his kids(MIL was a SAHM and she did e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g).

I'm waiting until it's warmer. And maybe for them to give me more signs. I have a goal of by their third birthday to be potty training-which is in October. Until then, no real rush. And we are going on a vacation in June, so DEFINITELY NOT before then! :laughing:

15. lianyla

Ya. By age 3, we'll be pt.. That's Sept 26 and I think for boys- that will be perfect and it's at the end of summer. Love it!

I'm seriously in no rush. NONE. ZERO. i don't get the rush? i really don't. And I don't mind buying and having them in diapers. Honestly. I don't! I do, however, mind taking them to every bathroom on the planet every 3 minutes. Dear God. Give me strength.

16. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

thanks, everyone, for you responses!

i've decided i'll offer the potty to them, and if they want to sit, great. if not, great. marina is still not keen on peeing anywhere else but in her diaper. and once she jumps off the potty, so does ivana. so training them one at a time may not be an option for me.

my other concern is that when i was being potty trained, i became very very constipated (and TMI.. still am to this day). i'm terrifed my girls will go thru the same things (especially marina), and i remember how miserable i was :(

i DO plan to have them pt-ed by their 3rd bday as well!

17. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

With the boys I put it off until they were 3 and it only took a week to PT them. Katie has been interested in going and has done #1 and #2 in the potty BUT she only wants to do it when she wants to. So I am not actively training her because some days she does and some days she doesn't.