I have some confessions - now that I'm in the 2nd year

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by lbrooks, Mar 25, 2009.

1. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I am totally loving this thread!

A few things I have LEARNED since reading this thread...and a few others...

1.) I am glad I am not the only one who doesn't wash their hands. I only mentioned it because I THOUGHT I was the ONLY one who didn't do it!

2.) I am glad I am not the only processed food, quick meals, no organic food type of mother. It seems like so many people are that I tend to feel really guilty I give my boys processed foods, eat at restaurants, etc.

3.) Sex? Huh? I could care less if that happens. I'm too tired. And I'm weird about it. I have to psych myself up for it(is that really bad??).

4.) To those of you WANTING another baby, but not now...Don't worry-I'll let you know how it is. 10.5 weeks and counting. As for the pregnancy though-I'm one of those rare breeds that has no symptoms and if it wasn't for a protruding belly and movement, I would never know I was pregnant. Seriously. Please don't throw tomatoes! ;)

5.) I don't bathe them everyday. I try to every other. And if it's a long day and I am tired...I will put them in the bath to kill time.

6.) I am a clock watcher. If dh is not home by 5:05, I am fuming wondering where the heck he is.

7.) About working...I actually SHUDDER at the thought of going back to work. That's because I was a preschool teacher. I loved my job. But I've gone back to visit...and I thank my lucky stars I can stay home! The screaming, the whining, the snotty noses, the parents, the attitudes..all multiplied by 20. I will take TWO any day!

8.) My closets, under the beds, laundry baskets...yeah...don't look in/at any of them! It's the way I clean-and it works! :p Every night I have high hopes of accomplishing things...never happens...

9.) People think I am organized/neat. HARDLY. The only thing neat about me is my handwriting. Seriously.

10.) My boys ALWAYS have to match when we are in public. Not sure why. I mean, I will have one in a red shirt/blue shirt-but it's same style, etc. I guess so people know they are twins. :rolleyes:

11.) I worry about dying, illness wayyyyyyy to much. And now I am afraid of them becoming ill. I won't be able to handle it. Period. Ever. I can cry just thinking about it.

12.) I feel extremely guilty that we are having #3 in 10.5 weeks. I feel like I am doing a disservice to my boys. Like I am going to miss out on so much and they are going to hate that it's not just them and mommy has to devote time to the baby. I'm teary eyed already. I love my boys more than words. But with infertility, you never know how long the process is going to take to get pregnant. So we decided to try once they were one, thinking it would take a few times. We were wrong. Just me going into the hospital to give birth has me upset. Gosh-I can't even write about it! I think I need therapy already!

13.) I don't take them outside as much either. It's a lot of work-our backyard isn't level and we have no fence. And I'm pregnant. Lugging two boys, pregnant belly...it's tiring. I try to do it when dh comes home, he rarely wants to. Apparently too much effort....

I can't say how much I am enjoying this thread. It makes me feel normal. I feel like other moms do such a great job and I do not. From food, to pacifiers, to TV, etc. I feel like a failure sometimes. My boys don't even speak yet and they are going to be 18 months next month. Was it me? I don't know. I just know I am glad to know I am not alone-and I am "normal" like the rest of all of you!

2. Dianna

Dianna Well-Known Member

QUOTE(babymOmmax2 @ Mar 27 2009, 05:10 PM) [snapback]1247503[/snapback]
    Oh & I got some more!
    16.) Everyone thinks my house is EXTREMELY immaculate.. thank god they haven't opened the closest yet :laughing:

Love it!!! My closets are horrible. I will hang up the boys clothes and my husbands. Mine, I open my closet door and throw everything on the floor there.

Dianna

3. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

1. I put my kids in their car seats and then go and get ready really to leave FAST while they are contained and eating a snack. :blush:

2. If we dont have anything to do in the morning I put my kids in the car (see #1) then I got to Starbucks and get a coffee drink and drive them around the airport to look for planes, trains, and elevators. I am sure that Airport Security knows the mom in the Sienna drinking Starbucks by now. :lol:

4. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

QUOTE(megkc03 @ Mar 27 2009, 07:12 PM) [snapback]1247693[/snapback]
    12.) I feel extremely guilty that we are having #3 in 10.5 weeks. I feel like I am doing a disservice to my boys. Like I am going to miss out on so much and they are going to hate that it's not just them and mommy has to devote time to the baby. I'm teary eyed already. I love my boys more than words. But with infertility, you never know how long the process is going to take to get pregnant. So we decided to try once they were one, thinking it would take a few times. We were wrong. Just me going into the hospital to give birth has me upset. Gosh-I can't even write about it! I think I need therapy already!

13.) I don't take them outside as much either. It's a lot of work-our backyard isn't level and we have no fence. And I'm pregnant. Lugging two boys, pregnant belly...it's tiring. I try to do it when dh comes home, he rarely wants to. Apparently too much effort....

I so feel your pain!! I just had my little one and felt the same guilt that you are feeling. Those 2 weeks after the birth (I had a c-section) were extremely hard because all I wanted to do was go back to normal taking care of the twins but I couldn't I had to take care of this new baby while my dh and bf took care of the twins. It was really tough!! BIG HUGS!!

As for the lugging them around... While I was pregnant I didn't even take the kids to the kitchen to feed them a meal! Every meal that I fed them was eaten in the playroom. We sat on the floor in a triangle and I fed them that way for at least 4 months! :eek:

5. plattsandra103

plattsandra103 Well-Known Member

7.) About working...I actually SHUDDER at the thought of going back to work. That's because I was a preschool teacher. I loved my job. But I've gone back to visit...and I thank my lucky stars I can stay home! The screaming, the whining, the snotty noses, the parents, the attitudes..all multiplied by 20. I will take TWO any day!

you and me both!

also don't wash hands pre-meal, eat off the floor, watch about 2 hours of tv per day, still use pacifiers. i yell too. often very harshly.

my kids alternate 2 breakfast and about 3 dinner options. lunch is pretty much our only wild card.

ever since i came back from our trip in january, i have stayed in the room with them until they fall asleep. i haven't been able to let them cio this time around!!

i think 7:00 is too early for them (and me) to get up and get very frustrated with them if they wake up before then. i find 7:30 acceptable and 8:00 am would be ideal (which they did over the winter when it was still dark out at 7:00). all this when i used to get up at 5:45 for work before and didn't complain!

i am a very picky eater and honestly don't care if they grow up the same. i feed only a few vegetables, only what i'll eat (with the exception of peas, which i won't eat).

i'm paranoid they will have a serious food allergy when there are none in either of our families. i have been very slow to introduce several fruits and they still have not had chocolate or fish. i'm currently having a cow about what appears to be a sensitivity to blueberries on bear's behalf.

though i love all that they are able to do now, i think my favorite age was when they were 5 months old and they were so happy and cooing and smiling and sleeping the days away. i could leave them on the floor on a blanket and come back 20 min. later and they would be in relatively the same spot. regular , benign poops. no solids or worrying about mealtimes since they always ate well. they had never had even a cold at that time. no running across the room screaming "nooooooooooooooo!!!!" like it's the end of the world because they are a)getting into something or b) about to be seriously maimed. i know i used to work nonstop back then with breastfeeding and pumping but those are the days i miss--i often wish they were still little and i feel guilty for it.

thanks for this thread!

6. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

1. I WISH my kids would eat cheesedogs for every meal. LOLOLOL! They won't eat meat!
    2. I DREAD mealtimes.
    3. I could win an award for "Quietest person in the world" because I'm soooooo terrified they'll wake up when they're asleep.
    4. I am strict. I try my best to teach my kids manners. I was raised to obey my parents and my children will do the same. They are already minding me like no other kids I've met.
    5. I am not afraid to reprimand them in public. If they are acting up, they are corrected.
    6. I LOVE the attention my twins get.
    7. I think I'm cool for having twins.
    8. I KNOW my twins are cool for being identical twin ADORABLE boys!
    9. I dress my kids really cool.
    10. I dress like a slob.
    11. I give a bath EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. If I miss one, they stink.
    12. I dress them EXACTLY the same every single day. They even wear the same socks and onesies.
    13. They wear the same pajamas to bed.
    14. I have two of EVERYTHING.
    15. I hated having newborns.
    16. I don't give in---- EVER.
    17. I'm proud of myself as a parent.
    18. I'm proud of my husband as a father.
    19. I am proud of my kids.
    20. I have ADHD so I am usually not home.
    21. I've never missed/skipped/moved a nap----- ever---- in 18 months.
    22. I never made them eat babyfood from a jar. GROSS!
    23. I'm soooooooo glad I have boys. I was soo worried I'd have a girl, and get ME!
    24. I'm worried about the summer cuz I'm afraid of public pools and I KNOW I have to take them. EEKS.
    25. I feel wiser than singleton moms.
    26. If I ever found out I was having twins again, I'd cry for 9 months STRAIGHT.
    27. I do not want more kids. I feel zero need for more. I am content with what I've got!
    28. I hated hated hated working outside of the home. SOOOO happy to get to stay home w/ my kids. I NEVER WANT TO GO BACK! I don't think I ever will.
    29. I try very hard to make sure my house is clean. I feel EXTRA crazy and out of control when it isn't.
    30. My laundry is always done, if it isn't.. I feel uneasy.
    31. OF COURSE my kids eat off of the floor. I almost didn't list that cuz I just assumed we all did that. (no brainer)
    32. TV is always on but I'm never watching it. I can't pay attention. I hate the tv.
    33. The computer is ALWAYS logged on and I'm always on it. I tell the boys I'm "working". lOL.
    34. I have dogs so that I do not have to clean up under the high chairs. It's a miracle what they can do. I used to make them "clean up" after my reflux baby. EEEEEEWWWW!

****************** I could go on and on**************************

I love reading all of your confessions girls. Good job on getting through the first year. It wasn't easy... AT ALL!

7. pigsocks

pigsocks Well-Known Member

I love this thread!

Mine eat off the floor
    Have eaten the same thing for dinner each night this week ham, peas, macaroni
    Tired of the attention and the constant questions when out
    Annoyed at singleton mom who has one the same age that think I am lucky cause I only have to do this once we both wanted two children.... and my girls are easy... to extent they are good natured, but there is still two of them to deal with!
    I dress them in cute outfits usually coordinating
    I can't remember the last time I bought myself clothes
    I dread summer when they will get dirty faster and there will be even more laundry
    I don't bath them everyday
    Have never washed their hands before dinner just after

Ruth

8. lianyla

Just read more and "clean their toys?"

I have NEVER and I do mean EVER, cleaned their toys. I've never thought about it. OMG. That would be way too much work. When they used to puke all over their jumperoos, I do admit, I would lug them outside and hose them off. That's the extent of that.

I also drive 85 miles an hour ALL OF THE TIME even tho I'm in no hurry, I yell soo much at other drivers that I can hear them yelling "Go idiot" from the back seat. LOLOL.

9. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

I'm back with a few more:

3. As I teacher, I know we don't read to our girls nearly enough. It's so hard because they keep trying to close the book or eat it.
    4. I have a lot of guilt that we don't get our girls to church. I know I can't go by myself with the two of them, but I haven't figured out how to convince DH to go with me to help.
    5. The only time it ever crossed my mind to wash their hands before they eat was the one time we took them to eat at a restaurant.
    6. My kids are covered in dog hair because they are petrified every time I vacuum.

10. lareesab

lareesab Well-Known Member

6. I LOVE the attention my twins get.
    7. I think I'm cool for having twins.
    8. I KNOW my twins are cool for being identical twin ADORABLE boys!
    17. I'm proud of myself as a parent.
    18. I'm proud of my husband as a father.
    19. I am proud of my kids.
    25. I feel wiser than singleton moms.
    26. If I ever found out I was having twins again, I'd cry for 9 months STRAIGHT.
    27. I do not want more kids. I feel zero need for more. I am content with what I've got!

I love reading all of your confessions girls. Good job on getting through the first year. It wasn't easy... AT ALL!

There are so many things on this post that I agree with!! TWIN MOMS ROCK! :yahoo:

11. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

Confession #57674254968-

My hair has been in a ponytail either all day or most of the day every day in the last almost 16 months. It's so bad that it's braking in places. I finally got my hair trimmed last month (after a year of not having it trimmed at all) and the hairdresser commented even before I said anything, "You wear a lot of ponytails don't you?"

Guilty.

12. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

QUOTE(benderboys @ Mar 26 2009, 09:31 PM) [snapback]1246323[/snapback]
    9. Sometimes I just lay in the floor while they are playing around me...and throw out a random "great job" or "way to go".

:rotflmbo: LOVE.IT!!!

QUOTE(DATJMom @ Mar 27 2009, 11:28 PM) [snapback]1247861[/snapback]
    1. I put my kids in their car seats and then go and get ready really to leave FAST while they are contained and eating a snack. :blush:

2. If we dont have anything to do in the morning I put my kids in the car (see #1) then I got to Starbucks and get a coffee drink and drive them around the airport to look for planes, trains, and elevators. I am sure that Airport Security knows the mom in the Sienna drinking Starbucks by now. :lol:

:rotflmbo: Its kind of educational right? :laughing:

Most of mine have already been said, but I'll add them anyway:

1. Yes they find and eat food off the floor- and are very excited about their finds.

2. Sometimes I pretend I don't see what they are doing because I'm sick of giving them time-outs.

3. I give myself time outs when I get sick of hearing myself yell.

4. I let them play in their cribs in the morning while I sleep a little longer or have time to have a cup of coffee and check in on TS.

5. I'm strict with their schedule because I NEED THEM TO GO TO SLEEP BY 8:30!!!!!

6. Sometimes I like rainy days because then I don't feel guilty about not taking them outside to play. Its a lot of work.

Thanks Liesel for starting this thread.

13. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

I get a full body massage every day - I lay on the floor, on my stomach, close my eyes (and pretend I'm asleep) - and my 3 boys crawl all over my back, legs, shoulders, arms. ;)

It keeps them entertained for 30+ minutes and I don't have to do ANYTHING! :lol:

14. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

I am lurking from the first year but I have to say this is probably the funniest and most true thread I have ever read. I love it so much I'm considering printing it out just to keep. Hysterical ladies!!!!

15. lareesab

lareesab Well-Known Member

QUOTE(TandC @ Mar 28 2009, 11:36 AM) [snapback]1248218[/snapback]
    I am lurking from the first year but I have to say this is probably the funniest and most true thread I have ever read. I love it so much I'm considering printing it out just to keep. Hysterical ladies!!!!

ITA!! I was thinking of doing the same thing!! By far, the best thread yet!! I feel normal again.... :blush:

16. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

QUOTE(DATJMom @ Mar 27 2009, 10:28 PM) [snapback]1247861[/snapback]

I do this, too!! :)

17. Lynner405

Lynner405 Well-Known Member

This is by far the best thread I have read on here. I lurk alot and some of the confessions actually made me laugh out loud. You all make me feel so normal....thanks :)

Most of my confessions are repeats but here are a few of mine:

1. When one of my kid falls/bumps their head/ect I usually don't make eye contact unless I hear a cry.
    2. I don't always rush to change a poopy diaper if they are playing nicely.
    3. I let my kids empty the contents of my desk drawers onto the floor b/c it keeps them busy and allows me to go on the computer.
    4. Most of our clean laundry sits in baskets until a few things are left, then I put it away.
    5. I shower every morning just to turn around and put on pajama pants and throw my hair into a pony tail.
    6. I keep my refrigerator door open while I am cooking so the babies can play with the condiment bottles.
    7. My children all watch WAY to much tv...it is on all day long.
    8. I still cry at least once a week from the stress of having kids (especially twins).
    9. I hate being a stay at home mom somedays.
    10. I loved reading to my older DS as a baby but I rarely read to the twins because all they do is fight over the books.
    11. Sometimes when the twins are screaming and fighting over a toy I laugh and don't break it up.
    12. I didn't enjoy having newborn twins.
    13. Somedays I know all I really did was yell all day long.
    14. I secretly am amused sometimes when my kids are bad when my DH watches them...I want him to know I am not lying when I say that the kids have been bad ALL DAY.
    15. I would NEVER trade my kids for anything, even though they drive me nuts most of the time :)

18. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

QUOTE(DATJMom @ Mar 27 2009, 10:28 PM) [snapback]1247861[/snapback]

Why haven't I thought to do this?!?!?!

More from me:

- I talk to myself. A lot. I guess since I haven't started answering myself it's okay for now.

- Sometimes I do forget though and do it in public, but I try to brush it off as talking to the kids. (I wasn't.)

- Add me to the list of those that just keep laundry in the basket.

- I've used the same socks for the kids for up to a week at a time because I really hate digging through the laundry basket (see above) to find those stupid tiny socks.

19. alechiac

alechiac Well-Known Member

OK, I haven't posted much lately (or ever) but I have to say that when my twins were ~6 months I was on TS and thought "someone should post a 'confessions of a bad mommy' thread". I was too lazy to do it myself but now I logged in and here one is--and it's hilarous!!!!

Here are a few of mine though I'm a little late to the party (as everyone else, some of them might be repeats--how comforting!)

-I have yelled "f$&# off" to my twins and had to leave the room for a while more than once (mostly DD, who has always been difficult to feed).

-I HATE HATE HATE feeding them. I dread it. Did you know that they're supposed to get 1000 calories a day?!?! Yeah right. I've become obsessed with calorie counting for my twins (esp DD), just to argue with the pediatrition.

-I really want to follow the advice "just present healthy food and it's up to your kids to eat it", but feeding them still stresses me out.

-I work 3 days a week and have a nanny during those days... I have explicit instructions for her to 1-not have TV on, 2-read to them twice a day, 3-freshly cook meals for them.... these things I NEVER do when I'm home with them the other 2 days.

-I really don't like talking about them with other people (good friends included). Even though I work part time, I get enough of them and it seems like they're all my DH and I talk about ourselves, so when I'm with a group of friends I really dread the kid-talk (which is bad because most of my local friends have kids themselves within a few months of mine)--it seems like all we talk about is babies, delivery stories, nursing, poop, feeding, and milestones. Ugh.

-My kids were late with most of their milestones (they were two months early but late even for adjusting)... I REALLY never cared and was actually grateful. Way to go me as a mom... thinking, "Yeah... delayed babies!!!"

-I'm not nearly careful enough with them... when they were babies I let them tummy-sleep, I propped bottles, etc. Now I let them play with window-shade cords, eat dirt and mulch, carry them both up the stairs at the same time, and let them pull each others hair without intervening!

-I live in fear of having twins again. I don't have any sense of nostalgia about their first year and count the days until they can really truly self-feed (see above).

-Speaking of counting the days, when they turned one I said, "one down, 17 more to go" and meant it :)

-Every single day I have thought about what it would've been like to have only one (at a time). I, of course, wouldn't have it any other way but wonder what it would be like.

-oh, and my kids are VERY scheduled. I say that it's because they do better on a schedule and need their sleep and crap, but really it's for me. me.me.me.

-I STILL feel guilty for having them early. And I'm worried that guilt will affect them in a negative way. I get really jealous of those of you who had full term twins!

-Oh, and SEX? Ha... I barely remembered how to spell it. Maybe if I had more of it, I'd have something to talk about with my girlfriends other than poop!

Thanks for the catharsis!!!!

20. benderboys

benderboys Well-Known Member

Don't worry Alechia...I am obsessed with food too...for some reason, I am convinced that if they don't finish every meal they are going to fall off their growth curve, I will be labeled a "failed mother" and the world will end as I know it.

Apparently, the toddler appetite hasn't caught on with me yet...especially when it only consists of soft foods. Ever seen an almost 2 year old lick a Cheez-It until you could read a book through it? Welcome to my world.

21. mmbadger

mmbadger Well-Known Member

- I'm so sick of cleaning the #%*& floor that I don't clean under the kids' chairs until 3 meals have officially passed. It's really disgusting, and food is tracked all over my house, and the kids snack from the remains, but I just can't deal.

- What's wrong with pacifiers? Or bottles? My pediatrician told me to get rid of bottles by 12 months and I told him without the least bit of embarrassment that there was not even a remote possibility that we were giving them up before 18 months. If I'm being honest with myself, it will likely be closer to 2. I deserve an award for breastfeeding them for 12 months, and that is BOTTLES and stress-free nap and bedtimes for the next 12. And I totally put them down in their cribs with their bottles, which is so bad for their ears and their teeth...but it gives me 5 more minutes of kid-free time so I do it anyway.

- I don't change diapers unless the kids have 1) just woken up in the morning 2) pooped or 3) are going down for the night. I view it as a cost-saving measure for extremely difficult financial times.

- I've never brushed the babies' teeth. Ever, not once, and don't plan to until...well. Let's just say I'll jump that hurdle when I have the strength to face it.

- My kids regularly wake up in the morning and go down again that night in the same set of pajamas. If they don't reek of pee, I figure they're good for another sleep.

- I bathe the babies once or twice a week. At most. And they LOVE baths.

- I open the front door, let the kids out (we have a walled in courtyard), and let the kids play outside for as long as they're happy. I use the time to surf the net or catch up on cleaning, and only check on them if I hear screaming or fighting.

- My 4 year old is seriously ignored. I feel bad, but I just can't summon the energy to be the mom he needs right now. Thank heaven that he goes to preschool every afternoon, or he would be completely uncivilized, I swear.

- I've fed the kids chocolate chip cookies and counted it as a meal. It has eggs, flour and butter, so it counts, right?

- I really don't like my husband. Like at ALL. He barely helps with the kids or the house, is condescending about how little I manage to get done and what a poor mom I am, and I often fantasize about what life would be like if he weren't in the picture. I'm terribly jealous of anyone who seems to have a husband who is actually helpful and engaged, and hope I'm not scarring my kids for life by feeling this way about their dad :(

22. lianyla

QUOTE(Alechia @ Mar 28 2009, 09:01 PM) [snapback]1248687[/snapback]
    OK, I haven't posted much lately (or ever) but I have to say that when my twins were ~6 months I was on TS and thought "someone should post a 'confessions of a bad mommy' thread". I was too lazy to do it myself but now I logged in and here one is--and it's hilarous!!!!

Here are a few of mine though I'm a little late to the party (as everyone else, some of them might be repeats--how comforting!)

-I have yelled "f$&# off" to my twins and had to leave the room for a while more than once (mostly DD, who has always been difficult to feed).

-I HATE HATE HATE feeding them. I dread it. Did you know that they're supposed to get 1000 calories a day?!?! Yeah right. I've become obsessed with calorie counting for my twins (esp DD), just to argue with the pediatrition.

-I really want to follow the advice "just present healthy food and it's up to your kids to eat it", but feeding them still stresses me out.

-I work 3 days a week and have a nanny during those days... I have explicit instructions for her to 1-not have TV on, 2-read to them twice a day, 3-freshly cook meals for them.... these things I NEVER do when I'm home with them the other 2 days.

-I really don't like talking about them with other people (good friends included). Even though I work part time, I get enough of them and it seems like they're all my DH and I talk about ourselves, so when I'm with a group of friends I really dread the kid-talk (which is bad because most of my local friends have kids themselves within a few months of mine)--it seems like all we talk about is babies, delivery stories, nursing, poop, feeding, and milestones. Ugh.

-My kids were late with most of their milestones (they were two months early but late even for adjusting)... I REALLY never cared and was actually grateful. Way to go me as a mom... thinking, "Yeah... delayed babies!!!"

-I'm not nearly careful enough with them... when they were babies I let them tummy-sleep, I propped bottles, etc. Now I let them play with window-shade cords, eat dirt and mulch, carry them both up the stairs at the same time, and let them pull each others hair without intervening!

-I live in fear of having twins again. I don't have any sense of nostalgia about their first year and count the days until they can really truly self-feed (see above).

-Speaking of counting the days, when they turned one I said, "one down, 17 more to go" and meant it :)

-Every single day I have thought about what it would've been like to have only one (at a time). I, of course, wouldn't have it any other way but wonder what it would be like.

-oh, and my kids are VERY scheduled. I say that it's because they do better on a schedule and need their sleep and crap, but really it's for me. me.me.me.

-I STILL feel guilty for having them early. And I'm worried that guilt will affect them in a negative way. I get really jealous of those of you who had full term twins!

-Oh, and SEX? Ha... I barely remembered how to spell it. Maybe if I had more of it, I'd have something to talk about with my girlfriends other than poop!

Thanks for the catharsis!!!!

You and me sound like a match made in heaven. I could've written most of these myself. I had to re read them just to make sure I didn't write it!

LOL. STick around. I like you!

I let mine play with ANYTHING. I let them count change. I've never covered an outlet and Gabe electrocuted himself once. Good news is, it only took ONE TIME! LMAO.

23. dtomecko

dtomecko Well-Known Member

While shopping at my favorite (second hand) baby story, my daughter always reaches out and rips the tags of the clothes (the aisles are really narrow). She is smart enough to know you have to pull really hard, and she does. Since she is so antsy and hates being confined in her stroller, I let her and pretend not to notice. If someone else walks down our aisle and witnesses this I pretend to scold her "Oh Allie, no. We don't take tags of the clothes."

I let them look at magazines if I need a few minute break to eat lunch without them climbing all over me and whining. They love ripping the pages up in little pieces, and I have to constantly watch them and tell them "not in your mouth". Sometimes I miss and end up fishing little pieces of paper out of their mouth. It makes my husband so mad, but I still do it.

24. Dianna

Dianna Well-Known Member

QUOTE(DeniseT @ Mar 29 2009, 11:45 AM) [snapback]1249163[/snapback]
    I let them look at magazines if I need a few minute break to eat lunch without them climbing all over me and whining. They love ripping the pages up in little pieces, and I have to constantly watch them and tell them "not in your mouth". Sometimes I miss and end up fishing little pieces of paper out of their mouth. It makes my husband so mad, but I still do it.

I let the boys tear through magazines in the bathroom and unroll the t.p and get it everywhere in order to get 10 minutes to straighten my hair. By the time they are done it is a disaster and it drives my husband crazy b/c so much t.p. is wasted...but I can't go outside looking like I stuck my finger in the electric socket. I need that 10 minutes!And they have a blast!!!

Dianna

25. ahmerl

ahmerl Well-Known Member

-I let them have a "snack" before breakfast so that I do not have to get the diapers and pjs changed and breakfast made the minute we all wake up
    -Jack wakes around 7am every morning and even though he is quiet in his crib (I can see he is awake on the video monitor) I will still go in and get him and bring him into my bed. Once there we cuddle and he falls back asleep and even though I often hear Lily wake up and start complaining I will still let her whine for a bit while I enjoy my cuddle with Jack.
    -Sometimes I feel more connected with Jack because he is a cuddler and is a lot more emotional than his independant sister. I wonder if she notices that I hold him more :(.
    -I let them run around the family room with their snacks rather than making them sit at the table.
    -I also let them run around naked on those days where they decided to strip all day.
    -I let them play at pretty much whatever they want as long as they are happy...i.e. they often play ice and water which requires me to repeatedly fill their cups with ice and water as they dump them into other cups and all over the floor.
    -Many times when it is probably to chilly out I let them outside to water the flowers (one of their fav activities) even though they end up soaking wet and shivering.
    -They are constantly running around outside in our neighborhood barefoot.
    -I usually really patient with them but last week we were driving a 4 hour drive back from visiting my parents and I almost lost it. Poor Lily was trying to sleep and Jack would not stop talking, whining, etc.. and I actually asked him to "shut up". OMG can you imagine???????? I did say "please" but still, that was pretty bad.
    - I take them out to jump in the puddles after it rains even though the mosquitos are at their worst then.
    -I live and die by their schedule and it freaks me out to alter it even a bit!
    I am sure that I will think of more later.

26. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

ok I'm surprised nobody's mentioned it before... maybe it's just me... but 90% of the time when I go out for an errand I don't bring a diaper bag. I change them before leaving and I figure if they have a poop they can wait 10 minutes until I pay and we come back home...

27. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Fran27 @ Mar 29 2009, 07:53 PM) [snapback]1249731[/snapback]
    ok I'm surprised nobody's mentioned it before... maybe it's just me... but 90% of the time when I go out for an errand I don't bring a diaper bag. I change them before leaving and I figure if they have a poop they can wait 10 minutes until I pay and we come back home...

Guilty... although most of the time I have the bag in the car, just diapers and wipes just in case. But no, I don't lug in into every place I go if I'm not going to be there long. Just one more thing to worry about.

28. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Fran27 @ Mar 29 2009, 08:53 PM) [snapback]1249731[/snapback]

I never bring a diaper bag! I am so bad! I do remember their water cups though.

29. ca2pa2005

ca2pa2005 Well-Known Member

This is such therapy! You all just made me a feel a whole lot better and that I am in good company. I could totally relate with the majority of the confessions listed but top ones and some new include:

1. Wash their hands before meals? How could I miss something so obvious? I guess I need to work on that.

2. My girls often rotate thru the same boring clothes day after day if I know we are staying around the house. I like to save their nicer, cuter clothes for when we have some where to go. Then I feel guilty when they grow out of their clothes so fast and didn't get to wear the nicer clothes that often. I feel like it is like having expensive china sitting in the cabinet only to be used for company.

3. The TV is always on at our house. Both my husband and I are big tv people. I like to have it on for background noise.

4. Now that the girls are off baby food for the most part I always wonder if I am feeding then proper nutrition.

5. My patience is not very good. I have on occasion yelled out of frustration and then feel guilty about it and it usually ends with me in tears feeling like a bad mom.

30. megkc03

QUOTE(Fran27 @ Mar 29 2009, 08:53 PM) [snapback]1249731[/snapback]

It depends on where I am going...I have started doing this-provided I have sippy cups, snacks, and books in my purse! I am *trying* to take the diaper bag less and less...

-I too let them eat snacks wherever. DH even lets them eat breakfast-cheerios in a cup/cereal bar, in the living room. Bad habit, but...it's just easier then in the high chair, out of the high chair, clean the high chair...over...and over...and over again...

-I actually gave Nicholas Cheerios/milk for dinner tonight. He wasn't feeling well and I didn't feel like making something he would not eat. He did eat the cereal though!

-My boys rarely drink plain water. It's usually milk. It's what they LOVE.

-I secretly wish for dh to spend a WEEK at home-doing what I do every.single.day and have at least one ounce of empathy(is that the right word?). Oh-and he has to be pregnant...and BOTH boys have to be sick...Oh-and laundry washed, folded, put away. Dishwasher empty, sink empty. And dinner on the table. No-I do not accomplish this on a daily basis. However-some genuis sometimes thinks it should be...Oh-one more thing...his mother can't come over and bail him out...

31. belinda07

belinda07 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Alechia @ Mar 29 2009, 01:01 PM) [snapback]1248687[/snapback]

-I HATE HATE HATE feeding them. I dread it.

I could have written this. I nearly wet myself reading the first one because I have done it and felt SOOOOO BAAAADD for it.

I also do the 'put the kids in the car and then get everything ready to leave'.
    I also still give them bottles and binkies(blankets) and I'm not worried about it.
    I dont read to them often coz they try to rip, take, break the book.
    I also put them in their cot/crib for a few minutes to calm down if they are going nuts, screaming and carrying on.
    I yell at them when I open their nappy and they put their hand straight in the pooh. YUCK.
    I think they are the most adorable children that ever walked. Very Biased. LOL
    I am totally not the mother I thought I would be. BUT I never thought I would have twins.
    I am totally not surprised when my friends come around and get cuddles from my son and say they want a baby 'just like him' when they already have a boy of their own.LOL
    Yes, I have a favourite. And as bad as it sounds I think it's more I am his favourite, than he is mine. DD is just soooo independant. And a bit of a Daddy's girl. And DS just cant seem to live without me!!!
    I love this thread, I feel normal!!!

oh yeah, and I have made up the most ridiculous songs that all have their names in them. they laugh and dance when I sing them and that makes up for not letting them watch TV.

32. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(megkc03 @ Mar 29 2009, 09:41 PM) [snapback]1249923[/snapback]
    Oh-one more thing...his mother can't come over and bail him out...

GOOD LUCK WITH THIS ONE!!!! :p

33. megkc03

QUOTE(ddancerd1 @ Mar 30 2009, 09:41 AM) [snapback]1250201[/snapback]
    GOOD LUCK WITH THIS ONE!!!! :p

I know, right??!?!?!?

Although...she is going to Italy for 12 days right after Easter... :spiteful:

34. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(megkc03 @ Mar 30 2009, 10:47 AM) [snapback]1250370[/snapback]
    I know, right??!?!?!?

Although...she is going to Italy for 12 days right after Easter... :spiteful:

my IL's moved to florida last september, but now i am told they are coming back next month :headbang:

35. twinmuffin

twinmuffin Well-Known Member

This is funny!

-When I pick the girls up from day care they used to cry. I tried to tell myself this was good, and that they actually enjoyed going to day care, but it would break my heart. I started bribing them with cookies once we got out to the car. Now they love to see me (probably only because they know they are going to get cookies soon).

-My kids still get nap and night time bottles.

-We only get baths about 3 times per week.

-We don't wash our hands before we eat and we eat food off the floor.

-I'm glad when my parents come visit with their dog. Doggy cleans up all the food i've missed.

-I hate changing crib sheets. I did it this past weekend and they were nasty. I had waited way too long.

-I let one of my girls get up on the coffee table and dance. She loves it.

-I love having a break from them and going to work.

-I hate doing laundry. DS knows to check the laundry room for clean clothes, because they are usually never put up in his room. The 3 of us, DH, DS and myself usually get dressed in the laundry room, cause that's where all the clothes are.

- By the time DS was 2 he could use the F word in context. I'm just waiting for the girls.

- My house is a complete pit. I am unorganized and messy.