I have some confessions - now that I'm in the 2nd year

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by lbrooks, Mar 25, 2009.

1. lbrooks

lbrooks Well-Known Member

Hi Ladies,

Now that I'm 1/2 way through the 2nd year, I was just thinking of some things that I need to admit, get off my chest, laugh at - whatever. So, I thought I'd make a little list of confessions. I'd love to hear yours if you're so inclined.

1. We waste more food than we eat (for the babies) because even though they've been eating in their high-chair and self feeding for a year, I still can't manage to figure out their portions so most of it is on the floor or goes untouched. I feel terribly guilty over this waste.
    2. My hair-stylist actually had a "talk" with me about how little I wash my hair. I've become a little too low-maintenance by default. I had my hair colored back to my natural color so I don't have to have it done anymore and at that appointment my stylist asked how often I wash my hair...I said two to three times a week if I'm lucky, but I get it wet everyday. I may even wash it less than that and I find all sorts of creative ways to hide the grease, just apparently not from the stylist.
    3. I have devoted the past 18 months to building healthy sleep habits and good nappers...I mean devoted...my life has revolved around it. To the point where friends and family get irritated at my insistence on everything revolving around their sleep. I followed every last letter of HSHHC - My two are the worst, most inconsistent sleepers of anyone I know. I feel like a total failure.
    4. They still have their binkies for sleep. I swore I'd be done at a year...then 15 months...tried again last week and it's a definite no-go...can't mess with the sleep they do get.
    4. I make up songs for everything and sing to the girls all day long and if anyone heard me they would think I'd lost my mind (or at least need to be mentally checked-out). We have songs about poop even. (I even sent a song to Ellen's Bathroom Concert Series contest....I don't get out much...clearly)
    5. Raising twins is really really hard. When I was pregnant with them people would tell me this and I would secretly think they were exaggerating. I mean, I have two kids already and I'm having two kids...how hard can it be? Holy Duke was I wrong. This is so hard that sometimes I can't believe it's really my life or possible and have NO idea how triplet + moms do it.
    6. My twins sometimes take up to 3 baths a day because it's the only place I can keep them contained so I can catch-up on stuff that can be done within a stones throw of the bathtub.
    7. I said I'd never be one of the people who was bugged by all of the questions that twin moms get in public, but I am bugged....it bugs me more often than not these days.
    8. One of my daughters has caused a herniated disc and torn ligament in my back and caused me to stub my toe (by getting away while I was changing her poopy diaper and running around the house with poop all over her butt)...this toe-stubbing scraped a good portion of the skin off of my pinky toe and should have had stitches, but I just didn't have time. I can't wear shoes. Both of these injuries happened in the past two weeks. I feel like I'm raising Mike Tyson.
    9. I have no clue how to "discipline" or even direct an 18 month-old. Everything I try fails. I suck at it. I'm terrified of one of them...she is the sweetest thing on the planet, but has a temper and a mean-streak that could scare the daylights out of anyone. No clue what I'm going to do.
    10. I secretly feel like I'm "chosen" and have an odd sense of confidence over being able to manage taking care of twins. When people say "Oh how do you do it" I always answer something humble out-loud like "My husband is so helpful and these girls are so fun" (all true), but in my head I think "I don't know how, but I am some kind of super woman because this is not normal to be able to do this everyday and still survive." I know that's really cocky to say, but I do feel that way at times. Of course, they're balanced by the times when I think I am a complete louse and failure of a mother.
    11. Some weeks my girls get the exact same thing for lunch and snack every single day because my imagination and energy are shot.

I know there's more...those are the ones that are on the top of my mind...I'd love to hear some of your discoveries.

1 person likes this.
  2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Hmm, this is a good topic Liesel...
    1. I feel like somedays all I do is yell because they are constantly into stuff they shouldn't be in.
    2. I feel like my twins are lagging behind developmentally because I am too tired or my brain is fried to do anything else with them (they are fine developmentally, that's me being hard on myself).
    3. I don't take them out very often because I'd rather they get a nap, mine are too nosy to sleep in a place other then their bed.
    4. I have a bedtime and naptime countdown
    5. I don't usually put the TV on unless it's Sesame Street or Yo Gabba Gabba time, not because I don't believe in TV, but because I'm tired of trying to keep them away from the TV.
    6. Most days I can barely think, so they have the same meals several times a week, too.
    7. Some days we do waste a lot of food too.

3. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

1. My girls eat cheese dogs more than any other food, and just about every day. It is one of a small number of foods that is guaranteed they will always eat and can be ready in 30 seconds and I figure at least it's not sweets. (I am cracking up and beet red that I am admitting this!) :laughing: :blush: Sometimes I've had to catch myself (or DH) from giving them cheese dogs for more than 1 meal in a day. One time DH even gave them cheese dogs for breakfast.
    2. At the end of the day, a lot of times I Just let their toys sit all over the house. Sure, I can make the effort to pick all of them up but I know they are just going to be all over the house again the next morning so some days I'm just like "what's the point?" I'm tired.
    3. The girls regularly eat food from the floor. They are always dropping a piece of food on the floor and pick it back up and put it in their mouths. Sometimes I stop them from doing it and other times I'm just like "what's the point" b/c I know they do it when I'm not looking anyway.
    4. I think I dress vicariously through the twins. I used to always shop for myself but that has totally stopped. I love dressing my girls! I think it's my favorite part of having twin girls. I have gotten several compliments on the girls clothes from other moms in the playroom and one time when one commented "you must spend a lot of time planning their outfits" I said "not really" - total lie!

That's all I can think of off-hand!

4. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

Aimee, I can relate to 1-3, except subsitute cheese dogs for chicken nuggets, fish sticks or pizza rolls at dinner time. Mine have a balanced diet, but eat a lot of the same foods during the week :blush: .

5. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

Those lists are awesome ladies!! :good:

6. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

What a fun thread!

Sometimes I've had to catch myself (or DH) from giving them cheese dogs for more than 1 meal in a day.

This made me lol!

I will come back later to this thread!

7. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(aimeethomp @ Mar 25 2009, 08:34 PM) [snapback]1244542[/snapback]
    1. My girls eat cheese dogs more than any other food, and just about every day. It is one of a small number of foods that is guaranteed they will always eat and can be ready in 30 seconds and I figure at least it's not sweets. (I am cracking up and beat red that I am admitting this!) :laughing: :blush: Sometimes I've had to catch myself (or DH) from giving them cheese dogs for more than 1 meal in a day. One time DH even gave them cheese dogs for breakfast.
    2. At the end of the day, a lot of times I Just let their toys sit all over the house. Sure, I can make the effort to pick all of them up but I know they are just going to be all over the house again the next morning so some days I'm just like "what's the point?" I'm tired.
    3. The girls regularly eat food from the floor. They are always dropping a piece of food on the floor and pick it back up and put it in their mouths. Sometimes I stop them from doing it and other times I'm just like "what's the point" b/c I know they do it when I'm not looking anyway.
    4. I think I dress vicariously through the twins. I used to always shop for myself but that has totally stopped. I love dressing my girls! I think it's my favorite part of having twin girls. I have gotten several compliments on the girls clothes from other moms in the playroom and one time when one commented "you must spend a lot of time planning their outfits" I said "not really" - total lie!

That's all I can think of off-hand!

OK. I am clueless! What are cheese dogs???? Am I really that stupid? I've never heard of them-just corn dogs! :lol:

I will have to come back too...

8. alliandre

alliandre Well-Known Member

1. People always say, "I don't know how you do it all!" but I don't do it all. I only do what needs to be done to make it look that way. We keep a lot of doors closed in our house because I can't 'do it all'.
    2. Most of the time I feel like a boat lost at sea, like I'm just floating along with no direction and my life has no meaning and I'm worthless because all I do is: nothing. (Having a little bit of a hard time right now, I'll get over myself in a minute.)
    3. My favorite time of the day is the moment all the girls are in bed and I can finally sit down and breathe.
    4. My other favorite time of the day is when they all get up because they are all so funny and cute and lovable.
    5. I could probably make a meal for my entire family just with the stuff off the floor.
    6. I thought having twins would be no big deal (just like Liesel) and it was like a slap in the face when I realized just how hard it is.
    7. I love all the attention that comes from having twins and having all girls. I feel like it makes me interesting.
    8. Even though I complain all the time, I think I'm happy and I wouldn't change anything for the world.

Wow, that was really cathartic! I feel like it's not really all that bad now! Thanks, Liesel!

9. AimeeThomp

QUOTE(megkc03 @ Mar 25 2009, 07:48 PM) [snapback]1244561[/snapback]
    OK. I am clueless! What are cheese dogs???? Am I really that stupid? I've never heard of them-just corn dogs! :lol:

:laughing: :blush:

Cheese dogs are hot dogs with cheese in the middle. They sell them with the hot dogs - I'd never had one until DH bought some for himself and we discovered the girls love for them.

10. megkc03

QUOTE(aimeethomp @ Mar 25 2009, 08:54 PM) [snapback]1244573[/snapback]
    :laughing: :blush:

Cheese dogs are hot dogs with cheese in the middle. They sell them with the hot dogs - I'd never had one until DH bought some for himself and we discovered the girls love for them.

LOL! I was thinking cheese wrapped around a hot dog! :lol: Guess I will be looking for them at the next grocery trip... :D

11. Dianna

Dianna Well-Known Member

Food on the floor...snacks always end up everywhere...so yes they eat the O's and goldfish off the floor.
    We waste a lot of food b/c I never know how much they are going to eat or what they are going to eat.

I hate the attention having twins brings when we are out. It makes me very uncomfortable. I have left a store crying b/c it was too much.

I have not taken the boys out by myself since Nov. When they moved to regular car seats it all just seemed overwhelming.

This past year I have cried more than the boys ever could have.

I get overwhelmed, stressed and pushed to my limit just about daily. But I wouldn't change it for anything.
    If it wasn't for my husband, I wouldn't be able to do this.

The tv is on from the moment we wake up till we go to bed. If they are up it is on Sprout or Noggin. They only really stop and pay attention to specific things but would rather them stop and look at Bert and Ernie than anything else that is on during the day and not like I would be able to pay attention to anything I want to watch LOL

Ugh I shouldn't have written this list LOL I already doubt my mothering abilities every day, this does not help LOL

Dianna

12. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

Great idea Liesel!

1. At least once a week I accidentally leave the house and forget to brush my teeth! :bad: Who does that?!

2. Speaking of teeth, I am awful with remembering to have the girls brush their teeth, I give them their toothbrushes when they are in the tub, every other night.

3. Waste food, check; eat off the floor, check; rotate the same foods over and over, check.

4. As Liesel mentioned, I have one girl (Satanetta) who is so sweet when she wants to be, but has a wicked temper and mean streak, and yes she scares me. I see a lot of myself in her.

5. I let my girls watch a lot of tv, like a couple hours a day.

6. My life revolves around my girls' schedule. Who am I kidding, I dont have a life!

7. I also do not like conversing with strangers about them, we are not a circus sideshow, please do not stop me in the grocery store to ask me if they are identical, if you looked at them before you asked you would CLEARLY see they look nothing alike! And yes I know that you cousin's nephew's brother's friend's sister has twins, I dont care.

8. Both of my girls can say Sh*t, clear as day, and in the right context. :blush:

I am sure there are more, I will be back!

13. Dianna

Dianna Well-Known Member

QUOTE(cohlee @ Mar 25 2009, 09:14 PM) [snapback]1244593[/snapback]
    8. Both of my girls can say Sh*t, clear as day, and in the right context. :blush:

Chad is so worried the boys will be say f**k before long b/c I am saying it all day. I have the mouth of a sailor!

Dianna

14. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

I can agree with pretty much everything that was written above. Ok Here Goes...

1) There are many days if we have nothing to do that my girls stay in their pajamas all day until I give them a bath at night and put new pajamas on them. If it's warm they are usually in their diapers. I hate doing more Laundry than I need to!

2) I have very little patience (I am working on it!) and I feel like sometimes I am too hard on them and expect too much

3) I get incredibly bored of the monotony of being a SAHM. Hoping that putting the girls in Dance classes will alleviate some of that.

4) My MIL thinks I am heartless when the girls fall down because I tell them to "Get up and Shake it Off" (unless of course they fall really hard or are seriously hurt)

5) I have no chairs around my kitchen table because I was tired of peeling them off of the table.

6) I buy way too many toys for the girls hoping it will keep them busy, and it typically just clutters up the play area and only gets a few minutes of use. You would think I would learn.

That's all I can think of right now, but I am sure there is more!

15. megkc03

QUOTE(Kyrstyn @ Mar 25 2009, 09:17 PM) [snapback]1244599[/snapback]
    I can agree with pretty much everything that was written above. Ok Here Goes...

1) There are many days if we have nothing to do that my girls stay in their pajamas all day until I give them a bath at night and put new pajamas on them. If it's warm they are usually in their diapers. I hate doing more Laundry than I need to!

2) I have very little patience (I am working on it!) and I feel like sometimes I am too hard on them and expect too much

3) I get incredibly bored of the monotony of being a SAHM. Hoping that putting the girls in Dance classes will alleviate some of that.

4) My MIL thinks I am heartless when the girls fall down because I tell them to "Get up and Shake it Off" (unless of course they fall really hard or are seriously hurt)

5) I have no chairs around my kitchen table because I was tired of peeling them off of the table.

6) I buy way too many toys for the girls hoping it will keep them busy, and it typically just clutters up the play area and only gets a few minutes of use. You would think I would learn.

That's all I can think of right now, but I am sure there is more!

LOVE this thread! I am chuckling as I read this! Let's give it a whirl....

1.) Food off the floor? Gosh-I don't even blink!

2.) Clean off pacifiers? HUH?

3.) My boys used pacifiers for sleep. Only. Oh-and the car/stroller at the mall. Until...one day...they became OBSESSED with them. One is ALWAYS in their hand...and ALWAYS in their mouth. It started around 14 months. I am in serious trouble. And-it's throughout the day-unless I can hide them-and they don't see me hide them.... I'm so screwed...

4.) This is bad-but I RARELY remember to wash their hands before they eat. Some days are better than others!

5.) I too buy toys hoping it will keep them entertained for HOURS. But that always backfires. Not to mention I have to hide them from DH...

6.) I am also bored of being a SAHM. I just don't know what to do with them. I wouldn't change it for the world-ever-but I just don't know what to do!

7.) I shower every 3rd day. Sometimes the 2nd. But if I showered Monday...I definitely won't on Tuesday. MAYBE Wednesday if I have to leave the house...

8.) I live in black yoga/sweatpant type things. I rarely get dressed in jeans-not to mention they don't fit-and I am not about to go and buy some to wear for another 11 weeks!

9.) We have plenty of days where the PJ's stay on...all....day...long...

10.) I feel like I should be doing more with them to help them learn. As a former teacher-I feel like I don't do nearly enough as I should.

11.) I avoid ALL eye contact when I am out. Solves the biggest problem of having twins-no one can talk to you if you don't look at 'em! My dh gets stopped all the time! LOL!

12.) Jack's Big Music show is the ONLY show my boys watch. If I hear the tiniest fuss and I need a two minute break-I mention Jack, they chuckle, and come running.

13.) The TV is on a majority of the day-but Jack is the ONLY thing they watch...

14.) I don't cook healthy. I'm horrible. Really really bad. Mac-n-cheese, grilled cheese, hot dogs, pasta, pbj, soup....that's a steady rotation. I feel like a horrible mother for not cooking well balanced meals for them.

15.) I waste a TON of milk/juice/water. They have sippy cups throughout the house..and then I find the milk ones long after I should have...oops!

16.) I use the unloading of a dishwasher as an activity. It works. For five minutes.

17.) I give in to the whining....and they usually get a snack-especially if I need to get something done. It works everytime though.

18.) I am horrible with discipline. I hate to see them cry. I want well behaved children and I am unsure of how to go about it...

19.) People often wonder why my house is so clean. It's not. As long as I know you are coming over-it certainly is! Otherwise...time bomb....ticking...

20.) I've given my boys sugar. Again-feel like a horrible mother. A cookie. Ice cream. Cake. Granted-it's not everyday...or every week. But-I still do it.

21.) I love my boys and wouldn't change it for the world. I hate how people sometimes think of me as supermom, etc. No-I don't complain about them. Seriously. That's just me though. I might mention something to dh that aggravated me, etc... but I mention it to no one else. They are my pride and joy. Don't ask me how I do it-I just do it-just like anyone else does.

22.) And do not ask me how I am going to handle 3 under the age of 2, when the first two are still so needy. If you haven't heard me complain yet-you will not when #3 comes along. Sure-it won't be easy. But the ride will definitely be worth it-more than words will ever say...

16. AimeeThomp

oh I thought of another one and it's pretty bad!

I also watch TV a lot when I am home, so I rent tv shows on DVD. The girls don't pay attention most of the time anyway...except that I've watched so many episodes of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" that when that theme song comes on the girls stop what they are doing and come running and clap and dance. They LOVE "Curb Your Enthusiasm" and that is NOT a show for kids. I have video'd them dancing to the song.

17. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

I agree with so many others... but here we go...

1. My girls do not get a bath every night. Sometimes I'm just too tired after work, dinner, etc. I have actually made sure to feed them something "clean" in order to be able to skip a bath...
    2. They eat a lot of chicken nuggets
    3. I clean the floor after they eat. And still one day, I caught Hailey chewing on a pea. It had been 2 days since they ate peas.
    4. I'm also horrible at remembering to brush their teeth.
    5. I often think "I have no idea what I'm doing" and have an irrational fear of being a failure of a mother.
    6. On weekends, I do not get out of bed when I first hear the girls wake up. If they're happy, I let them stay in the cribs and try to catch a little more rest.
    7. I try to not show it, but I do like some of the attention I get when I take the girls out.
    8. Last week, I went shopping for shoes for the girls. In the 15 minutes I was there, I lost my purse (found it, I forgot to pick it up after looking at some shoes), Hannah had an absolute melt down (everybody was staring), I left the store with no shoes pushing the double stroller with one hand carrying Hannah, and then turned around and went back in because the clerk stuck her head out to say "Oh I found another size 3!" I should have gone home but had been looking for Easter shoes for too long to pass up what appeared to be the only size 3 white sandles in my town.
    9. I never read any of the sleep training books or anything like that. I own one book on twins and have read most of it.
    10. Sometimes, before I can get the highchairs cleaned, Hailey will eat whatever food fell into the seat during meal time.

Sorry, number 8 was a little long...

18. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

1. Our clean laundry lives in laundry baskets scattered around the house. My 4-year-old looks in the laundry baskets for his underwear before he checks his underwear drawer in his room.

2. I am constantly doubting my parenting skills, despite my DH, parents, and in-laws constant compliments and reassurances.

3. I have never followed a routine so strictly as I do now that I am a twin mom. When I had my older DS, we went everywhere, did everything and I never gave a second thought to nap times and bedtime - that is NOT the case now.

4. I tutor 5 nights/week from 4:00-5:15, I leave as soon as my DH gets home. And as stressed as I was when I first began tutoring b/c I felt like it would be so chaotic, I've found that I really enjoy getting out of the house for those few hours. And I miss it on the days that I don't go.

5. I frequently open our sliding doors out to our sunporch early in the day so the babies can crawl around and play out there (they love it, it is an instant good-mood maker!) - even when it is probably a little too cool for them to be out there that early. Isn't that what socks and sweatshirts are for?

6. I find myself talking to my older DS like he is another adult at home with me during the day. Hey, Lennon, did you just see what Sullivan did? I have to talk to someone!

7. Despite the fact that Finley has already called 911 once and my parents at 5:30 a.m. causing them to panic and think something was wrong, I continue to give him our phone to play with because it makes him SO happy!

8. Both of my babies (and my older DS, for that matter) are such cuddly boys - and I hope and pray that they will forever be that way. Even if they wives complain, I hope I always have Mama's Boys!

9. When I was pregnant with the babies and my mom, MIL, friends, etc. would tell me how much work it was going to be, how difficult it was going to be, how exhausted I was going to be, etc. - I would tell my DH, seriously, why is everyone so negative?? And then - the babies arrived. Turns out, they were right! :lol:

19. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

4.) This is bad-but I RARELY remember to wash their hands before they eat. Some days are better than others!

OMG! I NEVER wash their hands before eating! :eek: :bad: I wash my own hands 100x a day, to the point that NO amount of lotion will ever make them soft again but it never occurred to me to wash their hands. DUH! Bad Bad Mommy!

20. megkc03

QUOTE(cohlee @ Mar 25 2009, 09:55 PM) [snapback]1244635[/snapback]
    OMG! I NEVER wash their hands before eating! :eek: :bad: I wash my own hands 100x a day, to the point that NO amount of lotion will ever make them soft again but it never occurred to me to wash their hands. DUH! Bad Bad Mommy!

Don't feel bad-I put RARELY to make MYSELF feel better! I was better at it when they were crawling! Now-maybe once a week...MAYBE....

I remember my SIL holding my nephew up to the sink and washing his hands...before every single meal. He was just a baby too. Where have I gone wrong?!? LOL!

21. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

QUOTE(megkc03 @ Mar 25 2009, 10:07 PM) [snapback]1244653[/snapback]
    Don't feel bad-I put RARELY to make MYSELF feel better! I was better at it when they were crawling! Now-maybe once a week...MAYBE....

I remember my SIL holding my nephew up to the sink and washing his hands...before every single meal. He was just a baby too. Where have I gone wrong?!? LOL!

Starting tomorrow I am going to try to remember to make an effort to wash their hands before they use them to pick up old food from the floor and eat it!! ;)

22. lbrooks

lbrooks Well-Known Member

QUOTE(cohlee @ Mar 25 2009, 07:15 PM) [snapback]1244667[/snapback]
    Starting tomorrow I am going to try to remember to make an effort to wash their hands before they use them to pick up old food from the floor and eat it!! ;)

I attempt to use the sanitizing stuff, because it's easier.

Okay, is it bad that I am feeling wonderful reading all of these? It's like I finally feel normal. Some of this stuff on these lists (actually almost all but one or two) I also do!

I should also add that DH and I have odd communication about the twins poop. We text throughout the day about who pooped and who didn't and what time etc. sometimes even what it looks like.... so weird! Oh the days when we used to text love notes.

Thanks so much for opening up all of you. I feel so much better because I think you're all great moms and I love that you can relate to me and I to you!

23. CROSSTWINS

CROSSTWINS Well-Known Member

Ok this post is awesome. I love it. Cohlee I died laughing when you said your girls can use **** in context. I totally don't feel so bad now. I have never even thought about needing to wash their hands before they eat. Why??? I have no idea why I didn't think of that.

24. xavier2001

xavier2001 Well-Known Member

I love love love this thread, I can echo many of these sentiments and it makes me feel SO much better to know that I'm not alone.

And fwiw I think we are ALL awesome mommies who know how to let the little stuff go!! I'm on another site where everyone has pps (perfect parenting syndrome) and I always feel like crud when I read about all the perfect naps and discipline and organic food, etc. etc. etc.

25. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

What a great thread, we are already in the 3rd year, but last year was full of peaks and valleys...here are some confessions from that year (some of which still apply)

1) We let them have sippies of milk in their crib, it took a long time to break that habit, but it helped them go to sleep
    2) I dreaded nighttime routine (we finally turned a corner on that at 2 years and a few months)
    3) Prepping solid foods stressed me out no end, and the waste. There was a time we were going through 2 packages of hotdogs a week - thank god for the nanny feeding them "good" healthier foods
    4) We gave them (still do) snacks all the time, whenever we went out to avoid meltdowns. I got the car detailed on new years eve so they aren't allowed to eat in the car anymore, but otherwise they eat in the stroller, at the park, food keeps them happy because we failed at "meals" they snack all day. (This too is getting better)
    5) We give in way to much to their screaming because i can't take it
    6) Their nighttime sleeping is hit or miss (daytime naps are pretty good). I can't do cry it out...I can't bear it.
    7) We went through a period of them falling asleep w/out their diapers on (thankfully this has passed)
    8) I hate reading to them - because they interrupt and I feel like I have to read the whole book.
    9) I can't keep up with them developmentally in terms of toys. I don't mean to keep them with baby toys, but I'm not actively buying them toys so somehow I feel like we aren't giving them the right toys.
    10) Our baby proofing strategy was containment in their bedroom. It worked until they broke the gate
    11) I love to dress them because they look cute IN EVERYTHING....
    12) I can't stand to do Becca's hair. I think I've done it 5 times in the last 2 years
    13) I enjoy traveling for work...
    14) I took a vacation in October and I barely missed them..

Coming from the other side, it's gotten much better in the last few months, although I could confess a few new things like after 2 years, we suddenly have a family bed, we let them eat too many cookies and we are still short order cooks who occasionally specialize in boiled hotdogs.

26. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

what a great thread. I'll have to come back when i have time. Bedtime for me now! Ahhhhhhhh.

27. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

Yup, I LOVE this thread! Ok, here goes:

1) I purposely leave the food that they threw on the floor after they have eaten just in case they need a snack 20minutes later! So, uhmm...yes mine eat food off the floor.

2) I went away with a girlfriend for 2 nights about 2 months ago, and honestly I barely missed the kids (everyone said I would miss them incredibly...uhm...no!).

3) I too, wondered why everyone was saying twins was so hard when I was pregnant. Now I know - its been beyond difficult.

4) I still sometimes wish I only had one baby...although which one changes on a daily (sometimes hourly) basis.

5) I am completely paranoid about starting bad habits....to the point where I won't pick one of them up if we are in a store (and they are in the stroller) and they start to cry. I figure they have to learn to be in the stroller and stay in there - because mommy needs to get out of the house with them once and awhile!

6) I secretly think whiny moms of singletons should fall off the face of the earth (sorry, but this is confessions...hopefully I don't get burnt at the stake for this one).

7) I buy new toys for the kids so that it gives me something new to do!

8) I was trying to be one of those moms that didn't let their children watch tv - and from 8months to 13months they didn't watch any tv...but my rule is sliding now and I allow them a bit of tv (varies daily from none to 60min!).

9) I always wish my kids were older, and I always find myself saying "when they are older things will be better", then I talk to someone that has older twins and they say something like "enjoy these days as they are the easy ones" like WTF!! sorry for the bad language..

ok, I think I am done for now...

28. Dianna

Dianna Well-Known Member

Oh we are suppose to wash their hands?? Does wiping them down after they eat count?? LOL

Most nights, we usually end up with a baby in bed with us, or I am on the sofa with one. We are both too tired in the middle of the night to fight getting who ever it is for the night to go back to sleep in his crib. Last night it was me and Lucas on the sofa.

I swore the boys would only have their pacifiers in bed and the car. They are sitting here(watching Yo Gabba Gabba, b/c they love tv) with 5 of them...each has one in their mouth, each has one in a hand and one on the floor by them. So much for the cribs and cars.

I am so loving this thread. Sometimes I feel everyone other than me has it all together, is living a perfect life with total order and perfect happy kids who do everything their parents want.

Dianna

29. Dianna

Dianna Well-Known Member

QUOTE(SMiLeD @ Mar 26 2009, 12:16 AM) [snapback]1244816[/snapback]
    I love love love this thread, I can echo many of these sentiments and it makes me feel SO much better to know that I'm not alone.

And fwiw I think we are ALL awesome mommies who know how to let the little stuff go!! I'm on another site where everyone has pps (perfect parenting syndrome) and I always feel like crud when I read about all the perfect naps and discipline and organic food, etc. etc. etc.

The boys had organic cookies the other day...by mistake LOL I didn't know that is what they were LOL

Dianna

30. belinda07

belinda07 Well-Known Member

ok here goes

1. Mine eat stuff off the floor too.
    2. I leave the back door open and let them play out there on their own. Checking periodically or when someone cries.
    3. often feel nothing but annoyed when someone starts crying for the 56,000th time that day.
    4. give them the same things to eat.
    5. Want to tell whiny singleton Mums to shut the heck up.
    6. I was devestated that I was having twins because I had an idea it would be SO MUCH WORK. And to my horror, I had underestimated how hard it really would be.
    7. I yell. It's horrible and I shouldn't do it and I feel like crap afterwards, but sometimes I cant stop myself and I really YELL.
    8. I get soooooooooooo bored being a SAHM that sometimes I think I'm gonna go nuts.
    9. I get jealous of people sitting there cooing at their baby, then need to go to the loo or something and hand baby to DH. LUCKY DUCKS. My Dh already has his hands full.(when he's around)
    i'm sure there's much more but i cant think of anything else right now. oh, and I dont wash my kids hands before they eat because generally I still feed them.

I seriously can agree with almost everything everyone else said, apart from the shower thing. I get my shower and that's all there is to it. lol.

oh and p.s. I love this thread.

31. 4lilmonkeys

4lilmonkeys Well-Known Member

1. Our boys eat frozen waffles for breakfast. Like, every day. I buy them in bulk because it is the ONLY thing that they are happy with long enough for me to actually accomplish things in the morning.

2. If they're happy, I sometimes leave them in their cribs for a little longer just so I can enjoy a few extra minutes of quiet. Or a shower. I *have* to get my shower in.

3. I'm a yeller. I keep waiting for my neighbors to call CPS from all of the screaming (them) and yelling (me) that goes on here.

4. The twins are in diapers that are a size too big, because A) it's the size their older brother wears and I'm tired of getting sizes mixed up and B) they hold more. I know that it's bad. Judge away... :blush:

5. I let them climb on the furniture and jump on the couch because it's easier than yelling and pulling them down 5,867,439 times a day.

6. I don't wash their hands before meals either, unless they've gotten into something really gross.

7. I am easily annoyed by women who complain about their one or two children, who are two to five years apart in age.

8. Last night, even though it was wet and muddy from the rain, I let them play out back because I couldn't take the fighting and screaming anymore.

9. By the end of the day, I am so tired and stressed that it has become normal for me to have a drink (or three) before bed. I honestly worry that my children are going to remember this one thing about their crazy mother and end up in therapy, crying "mommy drank" into the therapists couch.

32. Dianna

Dianna Well-Known Member

QUOTE(4lilmonkeys @ Mar 26 2009, 08:57 AM) [snapback]1245023[/snapback]
    1. Our boys eat frozen waffles for breakfast. Like, every day. I buy them in bulk because it is the ONLY thing that they are happy with long enough for me to actually accomplish things in the morning.

Frozen waffles and frozen french toast sticks are a breakfast staple here!!! Gotta love being able to buy in bulk! Something I know for breakfast they will always eat.

Dianna

33. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

1. Wash their hands? Bathe them every day? We're in a drought in Florida, I'm conserving water! :)

2. I don't feed my dogs every day because they eat so much food off of the floor, and they've *still* gained weight since their last checkup.

3. I still hate staying at home at night and I feel a little resentful that my kidlets won't cooperate enough for me to go do something wtih them every day after work.

4. I hate that my husband tells me that they're angels all day long, but when I get home all they do is scream and cry and throw tantrums.

5. I miss the crazy amounts of people asking if they're twins now that they're older.

6. I am constantly pulling dog hairs out of the kidlets' mouths.

7. We're part of the binky at night and naps crew.

8. I don't brush their teeth every day either because of the tantrum that ensues when I try to take the toothbrush away.

9. I find myself resentful of people that have good times with their babies because it seems that every day (except for weekends) I have nothing but screaming and tantrums. On the weekends, it's totally different, they're wonderful. Must be the time of day.

10. I don't like to vaccuum because it wakes up the kids and it terrifies them.

ETA: quote 4lilmonkeys "9. By the end of the day, I am so tired and stressed that it has become normal for me to have a drink (or three) before bed. I honestly worry that my children are going to remember this one thing about their crazy mother and end up in therapy, crying "mommy drank" into the therapists couch."

Me too.

34. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

here i go...

1. i put my shirt over my nose every single time i change a poopy diaper. my mother thinks it's shameful :rolleyes:

2. i used to be a person with so much patience. i've worked with since i was 14. i worked in special education classrooms. i worked with autistic kids. and somehow i have zero patience with my own kids. :(

3. i really feel sometimes that singleton moms give me dirty looks when we're out, like i'm taking attention away from their beautiful baby.

4. i still wonder where i'd be if i wasn't married or had kids.

5. if my girls don't say the word f*ck soon, i'll be surprised.

6. because i was the black sheep in my [entire] family, and the youngest of 10 cousins, i feel like i need to prove myself as a parent constantly around my parents, aunts and uncles, and cousins.

7. i also feel like i need to prove myself as a parent to strangers, because i KNOW people are watching, because i've got two identical girls in the shopping cart testing my patience.

8. i yell way too much and feel so bad about it.

9. i love going to my parents' house on saturdays, cuz i can leave the house for a few hours sans babies, AND my mom makes A TON of healthy home cookin' that i can pack up and take home to feed the kids, meaning i don't have to cook anything.

10. i showever every other day. if i'm very lucky.

11. i'm so sick and tired of people givng me a hard time because i'm so extremely strict with the girls' schedule. my BIL's wedding is coming up in june, and all i can think about it the fact that, if the girls stand up in the wedding, the ceremony will be in the middle of their nap. and we'd have to leave at 7:30, right in the middle of dinner cuz they will be very tired. i'm sick of no one understanding and sometimes i just wanna scream at everyone to just mind their own business and dont' tell me how to raise my kids.

12. i love my mom and everything she does for me, but sometimes i'm annoyed cuz she likes to show off how great of a help she is with the twins (and she is, don't get me wrong) when we're out somewhere, but it's kind of annoying when i'm better off doing certain things on my own.

13. i'm very strict with the girls. i don't give in, when sometimes i just should. and if one is whining to be picked up, i'll sit down next to her and give her the option of climbing into my lap. it usually pisses her off, but i need for them to understand that mommy can't always be holding a child.

14. my tv is on all the live long day. they could care less (unless it's jack or blues clues or elmo, or the Cash For Gold commercial lmao). i try to sit and watch my shows , but as soon as i sit down in the living room, they start whining and are all over me.

15. sometimes if they fall (and they are NOT hurt) i laugh :blush: one time i had my yoga mat out and the end was flipped up and marina kept running from the living room to the bedroom and everytime she kept tripping on that flipped up end. i finally just started cracking up and she gave me this look like, "how dare you laugh at me!" which made me laugh even more

16. i bribe my girls with chocolate chip mini muffins when we're out, cuz they LOVE them and it keeps them quiet. till we're done with the package. then i'm screwed all over again.

17. at the end of the day, after all the whining and clinginess and noise and complaining, i just want to be left alone wiht my own thoughts, in silence. the last thing i wanna do is "entertain" dh.

18. at this point in time, if i never had sex again, i'd be okay with that :pardon:

19. i feel like it's my fault that my girls are not saying very many words, cuz i speak in two languages to them, instead of just picking one language and sticking with it

20. i know they're just "babies" and they just testing me, but it still hurts my feelings when tehy hit me and aren't sory about it. they immediately show remorse with dh, but not with me :(

21. i put them down in their cribs in the morning for a half hour for "quiet time". i feel if i don't they are crabbier. and more, i really just need a little break.

22. i still genuinely think other babies/kids are beautiful, etc. and i'm annoyed when my mom or dh say, "they're not as cute as ours... " or "eh, they're ok, not THAT cute..."

there are more, but "quiet time" is over and i need to get the rascals out of their cages lol

p.s. i wear t-shirts and sweats/yogapants/dancepants every day. if we go out somewhere i throw on jeans and a sweatshirt. i'm hot stuff lol

35. Mommy2ATeam

Mommy2ATeam Well-Known Member

I just have to say...my twins are well out of the second year (thank God!) and reading all of these posts has made me feel so normal! When I think of TS moms, I usually have this image of perfection and clean houses and clean babies and healthy organic meals that are all just impossibilities for me. Thank you all SO much for making me feel like you all can relate to the many things I feel guilty about on a regular basis!

Oh, and frozen waffles? The girls ate them every day for about 18 months. Avery is only 13 months and already he gets one almost every morning before daycare. I thought I was done with finding old pieces of waffle in the car until I opened the door yesterday afternoon and saw enough pieces to make a whole old hard Eggo on the floor next to his seat.