I have 2 questions about severe diaper rash (help, please!)

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Whoa Mama, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Whoa Mama

Whoa Mama Well-Known Member

Whenever my son gets diaper rash, which is a LOT, it is always really bad. My DD has never had one.

My questions are:

1) Can it mean a food allergy? He usually is set off by fruits like grapes and blueberries or some tomato-based sauces.

2) Is there a prescription diaper rash cream that can help? Sometimes it gets so bad that he gets little sores that bleed [​IMG]

Thanks in advance for any input!

2. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Can it mean a food allergy? He usually is set off by fruits like grapes and blueberries or some tomato-based sauces.

Sounds like it maybe the acid in the food causing the rash. I'm allergic to tomatoes and they cause a blistery rash on my skin if I touch a cut tomato or ketchup.

2) Is there a prescription diaper rash cream that can help? My pedi just recomends Destin unless its yeast diaper rash.

3. 2for1

2for1 Well-Known Member

Yes, it CAN mean a food allrgy, and my pedi recommends Triple Paste, over the counter. Or, they tell me to mix equal parts of Original Desitin, Lotrimin AF, and 1% hydrocortisone cream and apply. The Triple Paste works wonders for us.

4. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

Mine get horrible diaper rashes (bleeding!) at times too. I find that acidic foods do make it worse - like tomatoes, tomato sauce, mandarin oranges, grapefruit, etc.

What seems to work the best for us is to put neosporin on the worst areas and then slather it in A&D ointment. Once it's healed make sure to use a good full strength diaper cream like regular desitin whenever they will be sleeping, etc. and could be wet for an extended period of time w/out getting their diaper changed. Triple paste is another good one to use, but it's pretty $$$.

Try to avoid using wipes as much as possible.

HTH [​IMG]

5. Babytimes2

Babytimes2 Well-Known Member

Slaton is prone to get them when he eats acidic foods as well. We do use a prescription cream that's called Happy Hiney. I don't know what's in it, but you might ask your pedi about it.

6. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My oldest would get a bad diaper rash if she had too much OJ or apple juice, we had to start doing 1/2 juice and 1/2 water in her cup.

I was also going to say Triple Paste, it is a bit more $, but does work great!! Well worth it, that is what my pedi. recommends.

7. Whoa Mama

Thanks so much to all who replied. Where can you buy triple paste? Target? Walmart? Walgreens? I don't think I've ever seen it but then I haven't been looking for it either. Is it sold near other diaper rash ointment?

Melissa, I have used Neosporin at times when it was bad too. I only use wipes when he isn't breaking out - otherwise I just rinse his bottom with water (thank goodness he's flexible! I sort of fold him in half and stick his butt under the faucet) [​IMG]

8. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

I've bought Triple Paste at Target and at Rite Aid in the past. The small tube is about $8 and the big tub is $20 or so I think...

9. mandmtwinmommy

mandmtwinmommy Well-Known Member

Triple Paste is what we use. It works wonders!

10. BettiePage

BettiePage Well-Known Member

Whenever we get a rash that isn't wiped out by the regular Desitin, we layer Lotrimin (for yeast) with Triple Paste onthe recommendation of our pedi, and this has always knocked it right out. I found Triple Paste at CVS with the other diaper rash stuff -- I hadn't ever been looking for it, so I had never noticed it before, but it was right there.

11. fourznuff

fourznuff Well-Known Member

Whenever Jet is on antibiotic he is very susceptible to yeast based diaper rash (he sometimes gets a rash on his face too). Now when he has antibiotic I crank up his yogurt intake and keep the Lotrimin cream on hand. If I notice a rash starting I use the Lotrimin and put Aquaphor on top of that. Until I figured it out we did a lot of tushie-rinsing in the sink too!

-Kimberly

12. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I've seen Triple Paste at Walmart and Target.

ETA: I have seen it in the aisle with the other diaper creams.

13. Cheesecake

Cheesecake Well-Known Member

You can get the Triple Paste at pharmacies BUT you may have to ask for it. When Burke was teeny tiny we asked the pharmacist out of desperation because Desitin which we love wasn't working. She said Oh yeah triple paste, we keep it behind the counter. Its expensive but worth it. I wish they kept it out becuase so many moms miss out. You layer it on thick and it stays. Good stuff.

And yes I'm going to say it sounds like allergies

14. Faith00

Faith00 Well-Known Member

Our ped. gave us a ton of samples of Vusion. It's an RX ointment for diaper rash. I, too, was using the triple paste and it was good but still just not cutting it all the time. They said something about using OTC meds can sometimes just not be strong enough. Anyway, you might call your ped and see what they say about Vusion or maybe something similar. Maybe they can give you some samples too!
    Good luck.
    Faith

15. Mistyled

Mistyled Active Member

It does sound like a food allergy. Mine son is pretty sensitive to acidic foods, but I have also noticed that carrots and sweet potatoes cause him to get diaper rash. I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but those foods always seem to set him off. We use Desitin on him every time we change his diaper, whether there is a rash or not.

16. denali_ice

denali_ice Well-Known Member

We have been battling these type rashes, too. In addition to some of the creams, try corn starch. It is amazing at helping to keep the area dry. We still have to work at keeping the rashes at bay, but the corn starch helps a LOT!

17. mbcrox

mbcrox Well-Known Member

Jenny - Sounds like you have a lot of great advice! One thing that really works well is to leave the diaper off and let the bottom get air! I promise that this really helps! If you can get out a fluffy towel (for just in case) and let your cutie sit on it and put in a video or play a game or something then the good old fashioned remedy of getting air on his tooshy will help! Good Luck!

18. 2for1

2for1 Well-Known Member

You used to have to ask for the triple paste, but now they have it on the shelves with the other baby stuff at any pharmacy. We get ours at Walgreens. It's 30 dollars for the big tub of it, and about 10 for the tube. The tube doesn't last long, so I'd break down and get the tub if you can. It really works for really, really bad bottoms.

19. RRTwins

RRTwins Well-Known Member

Just a thought... one of our boys had a very stubborn diaper rash that got really bad and would not respond to anything - we tried it all. It ended up being a yeast infection and we needed to use an antifungal cream. If the rash keeps coming back or gets worse, you might want to have it checked out by your pedi.

20. Stephe

Stephe Guest

I saw a tub of the Triple Paste at BRU this weekend. We just had a HORRIBLE diaper rash this past week that he SCREAMED from. It was a reaction to Augmentin. We ended up using Mylanta and Butt Paste. Dabbed the Mylanta on with a cotton ball and then Butt Paste over it. Then once or twice a day would use Aquaphor/Eucerin on it.

21. Laura56

Laura56 Well-Known Member

Danielle has always been very rashy. She gets them all the time. Her pedi said the only thing that will help is potty training. She is getting there now but she is still wearing a diaper for naps and nighttime and she wakes up very red and rashy. She gets a prescription diaper rash cream. It is florescent yellow and I think it has hydrocortisone, some type of skin protectant, and some sort of cream to clear it up. It is called CMP butt balm or something like that. We had to go to a special pharmacy to have it blended together. You can ask your pedi for it maybe. She would have open, bleeding cuts all over her diaper area and we would use that stuff on her overnight and she would wake up the next morning almost totally clear. It sucks when they have suck bad diaper rashes! We always had hydrocortisone, antifungal cream, A&D, aquaphor, and desitin on the changing table at all times. She had to have something on at every diaper change! It does get better though. She is almost 3 now and now that she is almost totally potty trained she doesn't get too bad.

22. Jennysnead

Jennysnead Well-Known Member

Budrueax's Butt Paste on the bottom every night before bed or if they are starting to look a little red. If it get's really bad it can be yeast so a layer of monistat(yes the stuff for vaginal yeast infections)first and then a layer of the Butt Paste. The stuff is expensive but it works. The pharmacist recommended it.

23. Whoa Mama

Thanks again for all the input and advice. I have been trying Triple Paste for several days, putting on after every diaper change, and so far so good! No rash! I just bought the big tub at Target. It was about $17.

24. crazybabies

crazybabies Well-Known Member

My boys both had bad diaper rash. "Airtime" was the best solution with my first.
    When I was pg with the twins my grandfather was in poor health & in a nursing home. His doc gave him a prescription cream called "Lantiseptic" (I think that spelling is correct??)
    Anyway, when Garrett started getting the same bad rash, My Mom sent me home with the leftovers. I swear by it!! It's really thick & you have to get their bottom dry before you can apply it, but it's AMAZING. His rashs never got as bad a Reece's. It's definitely worth asking your doc about. My pedi was impressed when I told him.

25. dmoden

dmoden Well-Known Member

quote:
    Originally posted by Stephe:
    I saw a tub of the Triple Paste at BRU this weekend. We just had a HORRIBLE diaper rash this past week that he SCREAMED from. It was a reaction to Augmentin. We ended up using Mylanta and Butt Paste. Dabbed the Mylanta on with a cotton ball and then Butt Paste over it. Then once or twice a day would use Aquaphor/Eucerin on it.

my friend (who has twins also!) was just telling me she took her son to the dr. about this yesterday, also a reaction to Augmentin...the dr. told her to put mylanta on him, wait for it to dry and then put triple paste over it...