How often do you take them out of the house?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by greatexpectations, May 8, 2007.

1. greatexpectations

greatexpectations Well-Known Member

I do not have any family in the area, and my inlaws are in their late 70s ... I have been a member of the local MOMY group, but I dont' think it is working out, and I have a few friends with singles. But, for some reason, I find it so hard to make schedules work. I work at home as well.

My point is that I hardly leave the house. This has been the case since I quit my job in November. I love being home, but would like to do more with my girls. I want them to experience life.

I just don't know what I can do that is on a budget and easy for just me to care for them. And, please don't say the library because I feel like the few times we've been, they end up getting sick. I need another idea -- tips for meeting other moms, etc.

Am I alone in hardly leaving the house? Is too much time at home going to ruin my girls? There is so much pressure to get involved in things and I'm just not sure if what I'm doing -- and I do a lot, developmentally, etc. -- is enough. How much is too much, too? I do not want to be overbooked because that won't be fun, either.

Anyone else struggle with this because of having twins?

2. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

During the winter we rarely went out, other than to the pedi and to visit family sometimes. But now that the weather is nice we go out everyday. Most days we take a walk to the park, but other days we go to the mall, Kohls, Costco, etc. It's not an "activity" per se, but we just get out. My girls love to watch people and see normal, boring things, mainly because we were cooped up in the house all winter I think! It was making me a little crazy too.

3. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't leave the house much right now either, mostly due to their 2 nap schedule and having to have that coinside with my oldest DD's school schedule, there is just no room for flexibility.

But I do get out for a walk everyday, sometimes two. We are close enough that my oldest DD has to walk to school so if it is not too chilly we go for a short walk after dropping her off. Then we also may head out for a walk after lunch before their afternoon nap. Sometimes I have run to Target after lunch too, but they really have to be down by 1:30 since I have to wake them at 3:10. We do get out in the evenings on Mon. and Wed. for my oldest's soccer practice and Tues. for her dance class, but I have to chase them around there.

But this summer with my oldest DD home from school I'm sure we will be out more often.

It is very difficult to take 2 walkers, especially early walkers who just want to walk in 2 different directions, out by yourself. Don't beat yourself up about it. I'm not brave enough to take them out of their stroller if it's just me. I've tried it in our yard and it is still hard to keep track of them both.

4. LmSjt915

LmSjt915 Well-Known Member

We go out at least 3-4 times a week. Even if it's just for small errands I take them out. This is mostly in the spring/summer/fall though. In the winter it is too much to dress them in all the appropriate clothing just to run a tiny errand. In the spring/summer I also feel like I have more energy to just get up and go (when the sun is shining and it's warm out).

5. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

We get out 6 out of 7 days...the exception being if someone is sick. I'm a go- go person and we are involved in a lot of community things (playgroups, library storytime, etc) and then with constant Dr appointments for myself and them...well there is always an errand to run!!

I take them on all and every practical errand (Walgreens, shopping for clothes, small grocery trips, etc) becuase I treasure my evening with DH and do not want to spend it doing errands. Plus we do one big grocery trip a weekend and then if I have a lot of the other little things done, we have time to hang out as a family.

DH also works late a few nights a week and well...takign the girls is the only way to get things done! We try to spend one part of the day (am or pm) doing 'stuff' and the other playign inside/outside!

KC

6. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Mine are at daycare, but on weekends we get out of the house twice a day. I take them for a walk by myself on Saturday mornings, and DH does the same on Sundays. I walk to the park and let them out to run around (not to the playground, because that's way too scary at this age with just one adult, but to a big grassy park where they are far away from traffic).

I also do take them to, yes, the library. But mine are getting all the germs at daycare anyway. (If you want to meet other moms and have your kids meet other kids, sometimes they are going to get sick -- there's not much of a way around it.)

In the afternoons we usually go out as a family, to the playground or shopping. Costco has two-baby carts so it is actually possible to shop by yourself (DH did it last week). We consider that a "fun" thing because A&S really enjoy Costco, but if yours tend to get antsy in the cart, it may not be worth it.

I do find that it's harder at this age than it was when they were younger, and would either stay in the stroller or at least stay pretty close by me. Sometimes we get to the park and I have to give up and go home, because one of them (or both) is determined to make a break for the street and I spend my whole time chasing her. But at least we got out. I also feed them snacks at the park, which is fun and also means they stay a little closer to me.

7. Jaci

Jaci Well-Known Member

I guess I'm a lot like KC, I get out of the house at least once a day unless someone is sick. I'm just the type of person that feels antsy if I'm stuck in the house, I think it's personality. Plus, since the twins are #3 & #4 for me, I have things I have to get out & do (school parties, etc).

I usually try to do one main outing in the morning (walk to the playground, play dates, etc). Now that the weather is nice, just taking a walk is nice & a great way to meet other moms in the neighborhood.

I slobber antibacterial gel on their hands as soon as we leave any place with other kids, then wash hands with soap & water when we get home. In our case, it doesn't seem to make sense to not go places because of germs because my 2 older boys are in school so it's just as likely they might bring something home....I know I would feel differently if the twins were my only children.

Again, walks and trips to park are a great way to meet moms & keep things less 'germy' in the fresh air. Good luck!

8. greatexpectations

greatexpectations Well-Known Member

I should mention that I'm not afraid of them getting sick ... but the sickness that Liana got was a really bad virus that caused an lymph node to get infected -- this was more than a month ago now -- and she is still on antibiotics ... it was a mess. It meant so many uncertainties, doctors appointments every other day, constant worries, etc. I just don't want to have to deal with any of that considering she is just finally supposed to go off antibiotics later this week. Normally, I'm not such a germ phobe. This has just been a nightmare.

I like the parks idea ... I have one that is in walking distance but it's entirely up hill and I don't know how easy that will be with them. Not little hills either.

I'm impressed that people can get out every day. I have no desire, first of all. I love being at home. I hate going to stores anymore. We do go to BJs now and then ... when we are bored. And, our local grocery has 2-baby carts, I just learned. But, I don't want to have to shop for every outing either, ya know? I think life will be easier once they aren't napping in the mornings. Thanks for all of your responses. Glad I'm not alone ... and inspiration from others. Always good!

9. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

We do Gymboree once a week. My mom comes with me, but there is a Family class where the ratio can be two children to one adult. I also take them to the library at least once a week. I know you said no library, but anywhere kids are gathered, there will be germs. It was really the only place to go in the winter, and I know they picked up colds from it, but it's either that or stay in the house. There is also a new indoor play thingy that opened up, but I haven't checked it out yet. I finally found a park with small toddler equipment, so we do that too.

For getting in general, the key for me before they could both walk well, was the stroller. I still use it frequently, but not as much. Luckily our library is newer, so it's wide enough to push the stroller around. I use the stroller sometimes for shopping, sometimes I put them both in the basket area, but they have been acting up when I do that, so it's on hold for now.

I know what you mean about feeling like you have to be doing "something" with them. I haven't yet really made friends with other moms and done the playdate thing, although I would like to. I'm really shy, so it's hard for me to strike up conversations.

10. TwinMom205

TwinMom205 Well-Known Member

We try to go to the park at least 4-5 times a week, and I've met some nice moms and nannies there. Usually the boys have at least one playmate and I have an adult to talk to.

I've been blessed with a classmate my age with a son just 2 months older then the twins, who lives 15 min away. So we've been making plans for a lot of playdates this summer, and even a babysitting swap type thing too. I have a membership at the zoo and she has a membership at the aquarium, so we'll be each other's guest a lot this summer too. Honestly, if it wasn't for meeting her, I'd have no close friends with kids.

11. burgybabies

burgybabies Well-Known Member

Before the babies went down to one nap, it was too hard to go out much because there wasn't a lot of time between naps, eating, etc. With 3 under 3 I don't go to the library alone--too many things to get into. Because of their age, I feel that visiting with other children is more important for my oldest than with the twinkies.

Now that the weather is better and the babies are down to one nap in the early afternoon, I try to get out every day to do something. Most days it is a walk, babies in the stroller and oldest DD walking, with a quick stop at the park on the way home for some swinging. I've met a few people just by stopping at the park. Sometimes we head to the store--I try to make these outings short so that there is less stress trying to get everything done. One thing we do every week is go to church. We've met a lot of people there...though, we are the type who introduce ourselves to people--personality trait.

12. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

We go out 2-3 times a week(usually a weekday and saturday/sunday). This said I never do this by myself though we would still go out once a week if I had to do it by myself. Maybe a playdate type activity would be easier on you and get them out of the house once a week.

13. Padge

Padge Well-Known Member

my twins are 2 days older than yours. :) i enrolled them in a class every thursday that entails singing and hand motions for babies and toddlers. i also take them to the park every day.

14. twinsohmy

twinsohmy Well-Known Member

We get out about 5 days a week. Even if it's just shopping or a walk, it breaks up the day and the babies like to stroll.
    We go to the park at least twice a week.

15. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

My boys are almost 16 months old and my DD is 2. We get outside almost every day. We aren't involved in any organized activity such as playgroups or preschool though. We either play in our backyard, which is fairly kid safe, go for a walk, or go to the park. Now that all three are mobile, the park isn't as fun for me because all of them want to go different directions. I can't stand to stay home and my kids love to be out and about watching other people and seeing different things. I'm sure they are that way because we go out all the time though. I've been taking them out by myself since the boys were about a month old, so it's fairly normal for us.

16. ****mws****

****mws**** Banned

i have a 2.5 and 2 1.5 year olds.. i work 40 hours and im a single mom.. my mom moved in with me and she watches my kids until i get home around 3pm.. when they are waking from their naps.. at which point i walk in change diapers.. get juice and we go go go..

things that help.. if y ou live on a single level.. use a waggon to get them out of the house..
    then walk the wagon from the car back to the house.. after the kids are in their car seats..

keep a stroller in the trunk.. so when you get anywhere you can just pull it out and go..

when mine were younger it was more trips to walmart/ costco/ sams/ target..

now its the park / the mall... and most of all ac moore:) lol..

i have been getting them out daily since they were tiny..

this summer it will be the pool.. winter is chucky cheese..

my biggest tip is dont try to get anything accomplished.. just go for an hour or two.. for the sake of getting out..

and most of all when ds was 18 months i told him.. you MUST HOLD HANDS..

now when he goes out .. he waites for me and holds my hand everywhere we go.. i love getting the kids out..

i also do word association.. i say must they say hold hands..

i say be they say patient.. it really works..

now i have all three of my babies.. able to cross the street ( no traffic by my complex) by just holding hands..

yea;)

17. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Babies4Susan @ May 8 2007, 09:48 AM) [snapback]247270[/snapback]
    During the winter we rarely went out, other than to the pedi and to visit family sometimes. But now that the weather is nice we go out everyday. Most days we take a walk to the park, but other days we go to the mall, Kohls, Costco, etc. It's not an "activity" per se, but we just get out. My girls love to watch people and see normal, boring things, mainly because we were cooped up in the house all winter I think! It was making me a little crazy too.

DITTO! Except that I don't "think" it made me crazy, I know it did! :D

I try to just get out everyday when the weather is nice. A walk, a trip to the outlets, the mall, a park, or even our back yard. Ther is so much for them to learn and explore right in our back yard. I will take a blanket out and some of their toys and some books but I find they are more amused ripping out the grass and looking at sticks, rocks or whatever their little hands can grasp.

As Babies4Susan said, you don't have to go out and "have an acitivity" to keep your kids entertained. Just exposing them to the world around them (in all kinds of places) is a very big learning experience in itself.

You are doing a great job and doing what you can. Don't worry about the "pressure" of what you are suppose to be doing. There is no suppose to. But I would deffinately try to get them out in one way or another now and then even it is just a quick stop at your local grocery/produce market.

18. mom of one plus two

mom of one plus two Well-Known Member

For my sanity, we leave the house everyday. Where there is a will, there is a way. Yes it is hard because for us their schedules change all the time. I am a baby reader. Sometimes they get up and are tired enought to both go back down only an hour and a half later. The way I go places is that each day I know where the play groups are and when so if I can't make it to the morning one then I make it to the afternoon one. Or I go to a store and walk around. You get to know the malls that are kid friendly with free kid play areas or parks that are fenced in. If people offer to help - take it.

Now keep in mind, mine are only crawlers yet. They are only 10 months old but I refuse to be held back. We have gone places since they were 10 days old. I will continue to find places that work for me. I'm not afraid to try new things.

I could not have survived in the house all the time - alone. At least I see people and get to talk to adults.