How often do you get out of the house?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by cm301263, Dec 31, 2015.

1. cm301263

cm301263 Well-Known Member

My boys, (altho they are 5), are In 4K. The 4K classes in our district are 3 days a week....full days....

the remaining 4 days are up to me to keep them occupied. I am a stay at home mom and I am a single parent 2 weeks at a time while my husband works out of the state. He rotates 2 & 2.

We do a lot of things when dad is home & when I am alone with them for 2 weeks I am very active with them. I play a great deal with them but do to some health reasons, don't actually LEAVE the house to do things every single day like some parents I know do.

So days that we are in the house for a couple of days at a time, I feel pretty guilty like they NEED to go DO something. I think I need to get over that. Is there anyone else out there that stays at home for a few days at a time? Maybe this all seems crazy I don't know. lol

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We're major home bodies here. We do plan outings but it's usually followed by a day or two of "recovery". Our favorite thing is PJ days where we lounge around at home all day in our PJs. Honestly, when we have too much on the go our whole family suffers. We all love open ended time to do whatever takes our fancy and all of my kids enjoy having time to pursue their own individual activities. I trust that whatever activities they're pursuing are enough, even if it doesn't look like much to me.

1 person likes this.
  3. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We don't leave every day. I get frazzled if I'm out too much and can't keep up with everything at home.

4. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think it depends on preference and energy levels. I like to get out and do stuff, but my kids sometimes need the down time so we hang out at home. I do like to at least get outside for a few minutes every day.. whether we just walk around the block or whatever. I find the fresh air helps unjangle everyone's nerves a little. My husband would never leave the house if he didn't have to, so I also have to find a balance there.

5. tarcoulis

tarcoulis Well-Known Member

Before they started school I used to schedule a couple of 'stay at home' days per week.  They liked to rediscover their toys, make up games, and explore outside while I managed to get a few chores done.

Don't worry about what other parents do.  Maybe they don't have much space to play or do projects in the home, maybe the kids are enrolled in a lot of classes.  You never know.  If staying home works for your family, then stick with it.

6. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We are the same way.  I find that overscheduling my kids does not do them well.  They are very much like me and my husband and do not like being on the go all the time.  If everyone seems happy with the way things are, there is nothing wrong with spending time at home.

7. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

^^^ This!  If it works for your family, then there should be no guilt.  

8. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

We love being at home and having plenty of unscheduled time but I find that we need to get out of doors every day, but that does not mean doing something or going somewhere, it is mostly just an hour or two or three (depending on the weather) in our garden or maybe walking or biking around the block. Sometimes that will spontaneously involve a playground visit or turn into a little hike just because we all like to be outside.

9. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I joined a gym with a kid area... I get a break for an hour, get to exercise, and the kids get to play with other kids. Totally worth it.