How often do you get out of the house with the kids?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by jjzollman, Aug 20, 2008.

1. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

I'm just curious how often others get out of the house with their kids - to run errands, go to the library, etc. I seem to pack up my 4-year-old and 7.5 month olds about 2 (sometimes 3) times/week to get out of the house - we go to the library, run errands, visit grandparents (requires at least a 1 hour drive), go by my DH's work, pediatrician, etc. I'd like to join our local MOMs group, too.

It is SUCH an effort to get out of the house with all 3 kids - by the time I've changed diapers, made sure older DS has used the bathroom, made sure everyone has a full belly, and buckled them in the carseats - I'm ready to unpack them all and be home again! I feel so lazy - but it seems like every time we spend 2, 3, or more hours out and about - their naps get so messed up (and they have finally started taking regular naps!), my pumping schedule gets messed up, its close to bedtime, etc.

Don't get me wrong - I feel SO good when we spend the day running around - but sometimes when I get home I think to myself "Glad I'm not doing that again for a few days!". Do others feel this way? Taking 3 kids out is just tiring (fun, but tiring!). Am I lazy??? Will it get easier at some point? I know when I stop pumping that will at least eliminate one thing on my ever-growing "to do" list.

If you have any advice on how I can have a better attitude about going out and about - please share!! :)

2. wymomoftwins

wymomoftwins Well-Known Member

I feel the same way!!! Only I live 12 miles out of town so by the time I get my twins dressed/ready to go it is almost time to feed them again! Then the other day I was already running late and then I had to wait for a train before I could cross the tracks and be on my way! Arggh I guess just making myself do it is good practice and then the boys are easier to take but it is difficult and I feel like I pay for it because the next day or so after we go to town the boys are sooooo cranky because they didn't get a very good afternoon nap with all the running around. You are doing good if you get out 3-4 times a week! I am lucky if I make it into town 1 a week :) I don't have any good advice for you but just wanted you to know that you are not alone. HUGS :hug99:

3. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

At that age and mostly now I get out everyday. I had an older DD and the boys are currently 20 months. I dont have any advice on how to get more motivated, just that as they all get older it does get a bit easier to coordinate logistics for all 3 (especially when the boys can eat of a kids meal menu). I cant stand to stay at home all day. I would go stir crazy. My kids all do better and eat better if we get out during the morning hours and back either after lunch for lunch and a nap.

Others like to only go out a few times a week. Different strokes for different folks!

4. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

I get exhausted just thinking of taking both babies out, so I only have done it if DH is around. Lately I have resorted to just taking one out at a time (I have nanny who looks after the one I leave at home), I take them on errands between naps. I just alternate the baby I take each day.

5. cottoncandysky

cottoncandysky Well-Known Member

only on weekends when DH is with me! feeling so trapppped!

6. mrsmoon

mrsmoon Well-Known Member

I love to get out of the house. It is hard with my 4 kids. I dont mind just the twins though. I much rather go out with DH though. It is not as hard when he is here to keep everyone in line and get everyone in/out of car.

7. kj427

kj427 Well-Known Member

Generally there's only a couple of times a week that I don't get out of the house. I'm like one of the pp's, if I end up staying inside for even two days in a row I start to go crazy. But at the same time I'm still so sleep deprived that I'm almost too tired to go out. My DH only works Mon.-Thurs. so I can usually get out the house with his help and our 6 week olds as well as our two older children on the weekends. The rest of the time I either go it alone, get my mom to help if I really need it or wait until DH gets home from work around 5 pm and then we go out as a family or I will just take one of the older kids with me to run a few quick errands.

I've found that when I want to venture out alone it usually happens either in the mid-morning or sometime late afternoon or it ends up interfering with my 3 yr. olds nap and he's the one that has the biggest problem with that at this point. I decided to go to the library and Walmart on my own the other day. I put on my Moby wrap and stuck both girls inside of it and then let my 3 yr. old ride in the front of the shopping cart. It actually worked really well and I might try to do it again this week.

I've also found that if I will take a few minutes the night before to repack the diaper bag and lay out clothing for the babies I can generally get going a little easier the next day. Despite all my best efforts though, sometimes I just can't or don't feel up to it.

8. Saramcc

Saramcc Well-Known Member

If I have erran(s) plural, than I like to go alone. But if I only have one, then I'll take them with me sometimes just to get them out.

It's exhausting and makes me hot and sweaty if I'm constantly taking them in and out of the car, getting the big stroller out, putting it back in.

Yeah I know I sound lazy, but that's alot of work for one person :)

9. Dianna

Dianna Well-Known Member

Anywhere from 3 to 4 times a week. Last week was rough for some days so we didn't go. I have found joining a play group really helps with motivation to get out. Of course we still have days were I know from the moment we wake up th at we aren't going anywhere. Should have gone to play group today, wasn't up for it...so went for a long walk, then got the van and went saw their daddy at work for a few minutes and then swung by a friend's house. Still out, even if was only about three hours total. I try to make sure if we don't actually get in the van to go somewhere that we at least get one walk a day so the wall don't feel like they are closing in.

Dianna

10. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(bday111707 @ Aug 20 2008, 12:20 PM) [snapback]938991[/snapback]
    If I have erran(s) plural, than I like to go alone. But if I only have one, then I'll take them with me sometimes just to get them out.

It's exhausting and makes me hot and sweaty if I'm constantly taking them in and out of the car, getting the big stroller out, putting it back in.

Yeah I know I sound lazy, but that's alot of work for one person :)

Same here. If I have several errands I do it alone when dh is home, if it's one I go out with the babies during the day... And yep I always have to take a shower at home afterwards, lol. And I still use the snap'n go most of the time...

But I go out alone with them once a week in average, and with dh every other week (been trying for more, but getting dh ready on week ends is like pulling teeth sometimes). I don't want to go out and waste gas if I don't have something to do, and walks in our neighborhood get old fast.

11. lisaessman@verizon.net

[email protected] Well-Known Member

I am out and about all the time, but when my two older ones go to school I will most likely go out a bit less. It is sometimes tricky with just the twins and my two-year-old. With a two-year-old you must "expect the unexpected"! I have to say I love to go out with just the twins and sometimes get to do that when dh is home. It all just takes practice.

12. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

Are they taking two dependable naps a day now? I found that to be the hardest time to get out of the house, because there are such narrow windows of time without disturbing the naps. That is why I pushed my two to give up their morning nap probably before they were really ready :blush: Now we do go somewhere every morning. They have come to expect it, it wears them out and the house isn't the disaster it is on the rare days we don't leave! We try to leave the house ASAP after breakfast and are home by 12:00 at the latest (11:30 is the goal!) for lunch and naps. We are then home for the day other than a walk around the neighborhood.

13. Jody_527

Jody_527 Well-Known Member

We go out everyday, sometimes twice a day. My DH works a lot so I need to get out, sometimes its stressful but the change in scenery is good for the boys too! Its definitely a lot of work to get ready and to keep them happy but it kinda keeps you in touch with the world around you! I find if you stay in too much, its depressing and really lonely. People ask me that all the time if I dont find it hard and I always say no because it cant be any harder than having the boys in the house cranky!

14. HinSD

HinSD Well-Known Member

I',m pretty much the same though the only part I really hate is carrying them in their infant seats out of our condo, down steps and out to the parking lot. If I had a garage attached, I would love going out a lot more! Last week I went out almost every day, and this week I've HAD to go out every day after I get home from work. I am exhausted.

15. april mcdaniel

april mcdaniel Well-Known Member

I feel the same way. I just want to stay home. It takes too much out of me to fo anywhere

April

16. smiley_ca1

smiley_ca1 Well-Known Member

When they were 2 months old. I'd go out once per week, and I'd go out no more than 3 times. Sometimes, you just HAVE to get out. That was the only time, when in their car seats or stroller, that I'd have any "free" time and no baby in my arms. Getting out when they were young was hard, as I live in Ontario, Canada and my babies were born in the winter time... Bundling them up and trekking through the snow was too tiring at just the thought of it.

Now, we're out a lot too. My kids love to be out. I usually go out after their second nap. This week, I had 2 playdates and went out after their first nap... The kids played their butts off, then we went for a 1.5 hour walk while the babies took their afternoon nap. It was perfect! Even if I don't go "out on the town" I have to at least get out and go for a walk.

I'm the kind of person who goes stircrazy staying in the house. I need to get out and be with people, or at a park, or whatever.

17. mnellson

mnellson Well-Known Member

I think a good way to get motivated is to make plans with someone, or a commitment to be somewhere at a certain time. I know with my three, if I just have to go to the store to get a few things, it could take me all day to get out of the house. But, if I make plans to meet a friend at a certain time, I will make sure that I get there (usually on time, give or take a few minutes). For me, it's all about being organized and being ready to go as soon as the baby is fed, and the twins have used the potty. I try to make only 1-2 stops becasue I HATE getting everyone in and out of their carseats. For me, that's the worst part!

Bring your camera the next time you go somewhere- it will be fun to look at the pictures later that night and mayne will help you feel motivated to get out.

I also want to add that there is nothing wrong with staying home and hanging out with all of the kids. Plan a fun activity for your oldest and set the twins in their high chairs to watch. Don't feel bad about staying home- just enjoy it while you can! In a few years there will be dance lessons, school plays, soccer practice and dropping off at the movies- TOO MUCH RUNNING AROUND!!! :p

18. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

We were going out pretty often, but then we had some really hot weather and we stayed in for that. But now that the weather has cooled off a bit, I try to get out once a day. It may be for only 30 minutes, but it helps keep me sane.

19. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I get out of the house with the girls every day. Even if it's just for a walk or just to go to my mom's house. (She has a full nursery at her house and formula, baby food, highchairs, etc.) So some days I just pack them up and head to my mom's just for a change of scenery, but every day we go somewhere. For my sanity.

20. ca2pa2005

ca2pa2005 Well-Known Member

Wow, I am lucky if I get out once a week. It is a lot of effort although I would like to get out more. For me it just was a hassle because we seem to live so far away from anything that by the time I got everyone in the car and to the destination it would almost be time to eat again.

21. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

I think now that mine are older (past say 7 months) they have become better with going out, and they love playgroup with other babies. The more I got out the better they were with handling it and they outgrew their "stranger" fears. I feed them while I'm out and often I sit down for my much enjoyed coffee. A cold Starbucks coffee in the mall is just a nice way to feel less isolated even if you aren't talking to anyone but your babies.

I have looked into library baby stuff and a twin mom's group and I also go to a singleton's mother's group. I find putting those things on the calender give me something to do on say tuesday or thursday if it works out. Our twins group has a great play area where the older kids can play while you tend to the younger twins -- something that would be perfect for you having 3.

What about once or twice a week preschool for your oldest daughter ? Even part of a day to give you some time with the twins.

Heather

22. mmbadger

mmbadger Well-Known Member

I'm in the exact same situation as you (one 4 year old and 7 month old twins), and we get out of the house every single day. We have to, though...we live in a tiny house in Northern California, and if we didn't leave we'd go absolutely stir crazy. Sometimes we just go spend 2 hours at the neighborhood park, but it's worth it!

I don't really plan or pack...I make sure the diaper bag always has diapers and wipes, and otherwise we just wing it (I breastfeed, though, so I don't really have to plan for food for babies).

Our favorite activity lately is to head to the local kiddie pool. The babies LOVE to sit in the shallow end and splash, and my 4 year old happily plays for hours with the water features.

23. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

I'm super impressed by all of you that go out so much! I don't mind going out and about with my husband with me because he can help manage the babies. I do not go out much at all except to walk around the neighborhood by myself with the babies. I do get them to and from daycare alone but have only taken them into a store once or twice alone. We've been to the mall and places to eat a lot, just not by myself. For so long after they came home form the NICU we didn't want to get them around people so I never really got used to going places with them alone. I'm working on getting better at it because there are a few times coming up that my husband will be out of town and I will have to everything alone! I guess I sound lazy too but getting that big stroller out and making sure I've got bottles and having to feed them alone is all kind of intimidating. I think I've been spoiled with the help I've had... I think you all have now motivated me to get out more with my babies by myself!

24. AriaGirl77

AriaGirl77 Well-Known Member

OMG you are SO not lazy!!!

Sounds to me like you are doing awesome! I literally did not leave the house alone with the girls for the first YEAR, and here you are with an older child on top of twins taking them all out at 7 months!!! :bow2: You really are amazing!

I guess the main thing for me was messing up our schedule. I pretty much lived and breathed that schedule and was SO afraid to deviate from it in any way!

Now that they're only taking 1 nap a day and eating 3 solids meals and 2 snacks they are MUCH easier to take places!

My mom's best friend has twins also (although hers are my age!) and she said she practically became a hermit the first year they were born. So seriously, don't sweat it! And you certainly should give yourself permission to stay home if you want to! It won't last, so you might as well take advantage of it.

At this stage in the game my girls start throwing a fit and get cranky if I DON'T take them anywhere so it's easier to just throw them in the car and go rather than sit at home and listen to them scream. :lol: