How many weeks is too late for my husband to travel?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by OahuLove2, Oct 8, 2013.

1. OahuLove2

OahuLove2 Active Member

So, my husband has been asked to go on a work trip across the country next month. I will be 31+1 through 31+5 weeks with mono-di the week of the trip. It's a little bit of a tricky situation because it's a pretty new job and the trip is to handle something that he oversees. We can't play it by ear because they need to find a replacement if he can't go, so he has to tell them this week. So far everything has looked great, long cervix, etc. but I mean I'm only 26 weeks, it's sort of early to know what will happen a month from now. What would you guys do? Thank you!

2. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I would say go with your gut.   Would he be able to get home right away if needed?

My husband went on a work thing when I was 36-39 weeks pregnant with my last baby, but he was a singleton and I was confident I wouldn't go early.  Although that last week he was gone was a little scary for me!  He's in the military so he had little choice in the matter anyway.

3. OahuLove2

OahuLove2 Active Member

Thanks for responding! We're in California, and he would be in New York. So...he'd be able to find a flight quickly, there are tons every day. But it's a 6 hour flight...

4. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I also say go with your gut.  I would probably be okay with it, if you don't have any other children at home especially, it's only for a few days.  Especially if he could come home fairly quick if something did happen.

5. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

I think you should be ok. Especially if things have looked good up until now.

6. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

Oh I know all about it!  My husband was on an aircraft carrier in the Atlantic.  The only way I could notify him of anything quickly was through the Red Cross and a helicopter would be sent out to get him.  I think he was kinda disappointed he didn't get a helicopter ride out of the deal!  :laughing:

7. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

I would go with your gut feelings. If you had no issues so far and you have no other children to take care of - or some other emergency care option for them - I think I would be fine with him travelling.

For what it's worth: I was on bedrest due to PTL from 20 weeks onwards and my DH traveled right up to the end of the 37th week if I remember correctly. He never felt really good about leaving me (the twins are our first kids) but we both agreed that it was more important that he would be able to cut down on trips in the first months with the newborns than during my pregnancy.

8. OahuLove2

OahuLove2 Active Member

Thanks everyone for responding. This thread makes me feel better. Luckily he talked to his work and they're pretty understanding. If he plans to go on the trip and something happens the week before, they'll be understanding if he has to cancel. But in the meantime he will plan to go and probably everything will be okay.

Do you all think my doctor can tell me at my 30 week appointment if there are signs something might happen the following week?

Happy June, Totally. I'm in the same boat--we want my husband to save any time off or reduced travelling for after the babies, not before.