How many weeks did you have your babies, how much time in NICU is any?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Chrissy2010, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Chrissy2010

Chrissy2010 Well-Known Member

I think I heard the average is around 37 weeks when twins are born. Does that sound right? And at that point does that mean there are usually no problems and the babies will not have to stay in NICU? How many weeks did you give birth at and how much time in the hospital?

2. tracilynn

tracilynn Well-Known Member

there is a whole big chart in a sticky post just above the posts on this board that has all that info in it from past twinstuff members. its very interesting

3. WaterGuzzler

WaterGuzzler Well-Known Member

I'm not on the chart but here's my info:

*29w6d
    *Lia spent 51 days in NICU
    *Eve spent 54 days.
    *I would have been between 37 and 38 wks when they came home, and their stay was uneventful (well, not really, but despite the circumstances they did extraordinarily well).

4. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

My girls were born at 28 weeks 1 day.
    Kaylyn spent 62 days in the NICU
    Kylee spent 70 days in the NICU

The longer you can keep those beautiful babies in, the better the chances are all around. Good Luck!

5. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

DD was born at 25w3d and was in the NICU for 66 days
    DS was born at 26w6d and was in the NICU for 56 days.

Emilie was in the NICU 10 days longer due to being born 10 days before him, but they both came home on the same day, 5 weeks before their due date.

6. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine were 28w6d

Mitchell 87 day nicu stay
    Kenna 63 day nicu stay

Typically babies born at 37 weeks will go home with you. Not a given of course but it is considered full term. My singleton 36 weekers came home with no nicu time but I am very thankful for that considering I have heard of 36 weekers needing nicu time!

7. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

34 weeks, both spent 2 weeks in the NICU mostly as grower/feeders. My scheduled c-section date was supposed to be at 37 weeks.

8. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

I don't think my info is in the chart either. Mine were born at 38 + 1. We went home 2 days later (no NICU).

edited or spelling

9. ssb2e

ssb2e Well-Known Member

Mine were born at 31w6d. Camdyn stayed 24 days and Ansen 46 days.

10. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine were born at 33w6d but at night so I say 34weeks:) both spent 17 days in the NICU mostly as feeders/growers:)

11. mommyto3girls

mommyto3girls Well-Known Member

Mine were born at 35 weeks 5 days. They both went home with me.

12. lovelylily

lovelylily Well-Known Member

Born at 31wks5days, both spent 30 days in the NICU. It seems more common for even full-term babies to spend some time in the NICU, particularly with C-sections for the breathing issues.

13. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

me too!

ETA: and hello to a fellow Albertan! :wavey:

14. genagoodrow

genagoodrow Well-Known Member

Not on the chart either:

39 weeks on the day, no NICU.

Good luck!

15. JoellePotter

JoellePotter Well-Known Member

29 weeks exactly and 55 days in the NICU

16. bbyboo1323

bbyboo1323 Well-Known Member

I am not on the chart either

Born 34w1d vaginally and I had the steriod shots (I think a combo of those 2 prevented any respiratory problems)

No problems whatsoever with the 2.

Both stayed 18 days in NICU as feeders/growers (though both of mine were 5.2 & 5.0 I dont really consider the growing part ha!) They just needed to learn to suck correctly

17. amymc72

amymc72 Well-Known Member

Mine were born at 38+5. Baby A spent three nights in the NICU - he was skinny and couldn't maintain his body temp.

18. teamturner

teamturner Well-Known Member

Scheduled c-section at 38 weeks, no NICU.

19. Robynsegg

Robynsegg Well-Known Member

I had Gavin and Olivia at 38 weeks 5 days and we went home a week later (because of my recovery) the twins spent no time in NICU.

20. kcprochazka

kcprochazka Well-Known Member

Our girls were born at 29.5 weeks and spent 46 and 48 days in the NICU. No problems at all and a very uneventful NICU stay. These boys seem like they are more patient and we're at 31 weeks now with no signs of labor other than the usual BH contractions.

21. Bee Ell

Bee Ell Active Member

Mine were born at 35w2d. They spent about 4 hours in the special care nursery for blood sugar stuff then roomed and went home with me.

22. emp59

emp59 Well-Known Member

My girls were born at 36 weeks 5 days and had no NICU time and went home with me after 3 days. They slept in my room the entire time. My SIL's twins were born at 34 weeks 6 days and spent 3 weeks in the NICU.

23. roadtocalvary

roadtocalvary Well-Known Member

We were 29 weeks and 2 days....we had TTTS level III...when we had fetal laser surgery at 20 weeks 1 day. I was then on bed rest from that point on till my water broke at 28w 6days..Olivia spent 42 days in the NICU and Beatrice was 50 days. I don't think any twin pregnancy is the same. I know there are statistics but I think it is whatever the Lord wants for your babies. May you be blessed with a long drawn out pregnancy!!! :Clap:

24. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

My boys were born at 37 weeks. William had 3 days in the NICU, but he was sick due to TTTS. We were in the hospital 4 days. William was readmitted at 8 days for 2 weeks, but again due to being sick from TTTS.

25. sghaley

sghaley Well-Known Member

Mine were born at 24 weeks 3 days and spent 122 days in the NICU. Obviously not even near the norm! But now very healthy almost 6 year olds!

26. ali k

ali k Well-Known Member

My girls were born at 37weeks 5 days and had no NICU time.

27. marleigh

marleigh Well-Known Member

Mine were delivered via planned c-section at 38 1/2 weeks (I thought I was gonna pop!). No NICU time. Very healthy. Gavin was 7 lbs 6 oz and Jocelyn was 6 lbs 1 oz.

28. luvmytwins08

luvmytwins08 Well-Known Member

wow ladies! its amazing the difference and similarities in sizes and how long we all "cooked" them! I think it has a lot to do with the babies themselves. My two were 35 weeks 4 days and were 5 lbs 9 oz and 5 lbs 7 oz (they are still only 1 oz apart lol)and I had them vaginally (even the footling breech :)) William (the breech) never went to NICU just had jaundice and Austin (baby A) went to the nicu for a couple hours for monitoring of his breathing (kinda scary but totally glad they were ok) and then joined us in recovery room. They both went home on Xmas eve with me after 3 days stay (it depends on their birth weight) and had to go back to the doctor two days later for jaundice issues. They ended up sending them home with billy rubin lights that attached on them for a couple days (a pain in the you know what..but so much better than being in the hospital) and were A OK from there on out :)

29. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

Mine were born at 31w0d. Baby A spent 34 days in the NICU and baby B spent 41 days.

30. NaturallyBaby

NaturallyBaby Well-Known Member

Our twins were born at 35w2d and spent 5 days in the hospital, mainly for phototherapy for jaundice. DS spent 1.5 days in the NICU because he was below 2500 grams, and DD didn't go to the NICU at all.

31. SuzyHolland

SuzyHolland Well-Known Member

I deliverd vag. at 39+1weeks (water broke)
    We left hospital the next day.
    In Holland we get help for about 6 days at home.