How many of you made it past 38 weeks?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by kaylies mama, Feb 8, 2009.

1. kaylies mama

kaylies mama Well-Known Member

Im going to be 38 weeks on Tuesday. Both girls are head down. No induction scheduled. My Dr. wants me to go all natural on my own. He says I can hold these girls all the way up to my due date. WHOA!!! I can't do it anymore!!!

So I was just curious to know how many of you ladies carried past 38 weeks???

I've heared that after 38 weeks the placenta starts deteriorate??? Is this true. I haven't brought this across my Dr. I will though on Tuesday at my appt.

I'm just ready to go!!!! I wanna have my babies NOW!!!!

2. mollyjm

mollyjm Well-Known Member

Sorry, I had mine at 37 wk 2 days. We opted for a c-section so SO could be there but my doc was going to let me go too. Not much help, but just wanted to let you know I feel for you. I know then I just couldn't take it any more. Everyday now must seem like a year to you. Good luck and try and get some rest if you can.

3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

i didn't even make it close - but i have an aquaintance who went to 40 weeks. and delivered both her babies breech - vaginally. i'm still a little bit in awe of that. unfortuanately, i'm not sure about the placenta deteriorating. if you're concerned though i would ask your doc about it - and maybe ask about getting some more monitoring if that would help with the worry factor. GL! i'm sure your babies are really looking forward to meeting you too & will make their appearance any day now. :D

4. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

38w2d, scheduled induction. My doctor believes there are no real benefits going way past 38 weeks, while there are risks included because of deteriorating placentas, etc.

This study kind of supports that, no real difference between 38 weeks and going 39-40 weeks. But there is a difference between 36-37 weeks and 38 weeks.

http://www.ispub.com/ostia/index.php?xmlFi...vol5n2/twin.xml

I was perfectly fine with the 38 weeks, mine were estimated large, and were born close to 8lbs a piece, very uneventful, no problems.

5. alex&andysmom

alex&andysmom Well-Known Member

My perinatologist said he doesn't let twins go past 38 weeks, I never asked why because at 37.5 weeks I was so ready!!!!
    I had a scheduled c/s because baby a was breech...wow my hats off to the mama who went 40 wks with both breech and vaginal!

6. Lydia

Lydia Well-Known Member

I did and it was torturous BUT I was blessed with two full-term healthy babies who were large enough not to require any extra care and were excellent eaters. I know it's very hard but just think that every day now will help them out tremendously. Keep up the good work mom. I made it exactly 38.5 weeks so maybe you don't have much longer to go!

7. SC_Amy

SC_Amy Well-Known Member

I could have but wasn't comfortable going past 38 weeks with twins because of the studies mentioned--placentas deteriorating and risk of stillbirth increasing, so we did a scheduled induction at 37w6d and did a vaginal delivery of my vertex-breech twins. My OB would've let me go to 39 if I wanted to (my previous OBs wouldn't have let me go past 37 or 38, depending on which OB in the practice I saw that week ;)) but I had been on bedrest since 34w--not his orders; I just couldn't really walk anymore. So I was glad to be done. My twins were 6lbs7oz and 6lbs10oz and very healthy. I'd talk to your OB about the studies on twins.

8. lucky123

lucky123 Well-Known Member

I'd wait. My doctors were very comfortable letting a di/di (two placenta) twin PG go to 40 wks. I believe the study cited supports that.

I went to 38 wks 5 days and had a scheduled c/s for previa.

IMO the bigger the baby, the easier they are to care for (better nursers/eaters, etc.).

As an alternative, why not ask your doc if you're favorable for induction. Ask what your BIshop's Score is (a way to evaluate how successful an induction will be). When you are favorable maybe then you think about induction at a time you're both comfortable with. But, if you body isn't ready, I wouldn't risk a c/s. Twins are hard enough -- I'd have given anything to feel as good as I did after my vaginal DD's birth after the twins.

9. sharerc

sharerc Well-Known Member

My doctor doesn't let twin pregnancies go past 37 weeks. I had a planned c-section at 36w6d but I think I could have held them in forever. They were very healthy when born, good sized, and went home with me 3 days after delivery.

10. becky5

becky5 Guest

Way to go girl! I made it to 37 weeks. Best of luck, I hope they are here soon!

11. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

I went to 38w 1d. I was induced at 38w after an ultrasound that showed DS had dropped off of his growth curve. Otherwise, my dr. would have let me go until 40w :eek:. She said she would not have let me go past that date though. FWIW, my dr. said she just knew I wouldn't go until 40 weeks. She probably hasn't seen that happen very many times. Let us know what the dr. says.

12. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

I went to 39 weeks. :good: Good luck to you!!! :hug:

13. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

I made it to 38w1d when I had my scheduled c-section. My OB didn't let twin pregnancies go past 38 weeks. Good luck!

14. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Way to go girl!
    I made it to 38 weeks and 1 day. I had a scheduled c-section, my OB would not let our pregnancy go past 38 weeks.

15. debid

debid Well-Known Member

I went to 39 exactly. My boys were di/di and the doctor told me that the placentas do NOT deteriorate more quickly because there are two of them. If they were sharing, different story altogether. She was fine with letting me go to 40 but only if there were no issues and I was monitored more closely toward the end. My blood pressure was the reason for my induction (not lowering enough with rest); the boys were never in distress and endured 26 hours of labor without issue.

FWIW, I was in early labor already when I went in for my induction and probably would have progressed on my own by then if my A had stopped to ask for directions (he was keen on an ear-first delivery rather than chin-to-chest and it just wasn't happening).

16. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I had a scheduled c-section at 37.5 because of A being breech. It would have been 38 weeks on the dot if they hadn't double booked the doctor. :)

17. twinsmum28

twinsmum28 New Member

i carried mine till 39 weeks they broke my waters in end im in the uk tho

18. babymOmmax2

babymOmmax2 Well-Known Member

I went 38 weeks to the day.. GOODLUCK!!! It'll come sooner than you know it!

19. kittenkills

kittenkills Well-Known Member

my doctor told me that under no circumstances would she allow me to go past 38 weeks, originally we were planning to induce at 38 weeks exactly, however due to uncooperative baby flipping, the just cut me open and yanked em out at exactly 38 weeks. the iv hurt so much i wanted to call it all off as i was afraid of the spinal... really the iv was the worst part. go figure.

20. LisaLonnie

LisaLonnie Well-Known Member

I carried to 38 weeks 1 day when they scheduled me for an emergency C-section due to Pre-E. Otherwise, my scheduled C-section was at 39 weeks since one of my DD's was breech.

You're on the home stretch!! Keep up the great work :)

21. aandja79

aandja79 Well-Known Member

I went to 38 weeks exactly. No induction or anything, my water broke at 11pm the night before, we rushed to the hospital, and both babies were born around 3pm the next day. My daughter weight 6lbs 11oz and my son weighed 6lbs 14oz.

I'm honestly glad I had them when I did, as I thought they'd never come out. I developed PUPPs the day before I delivered and also had significant swelling and could hardly walk.

Good luck - it'll probably happen when you least expect it :)

22. Halseyse

Halseyse Well-Known Member

I was induced at 38 wks and 2 days. [I always wonder if I would have made it ALL THE WAY - crazy to think]. I had my apts on Wednesdays [cause I needed something to do during the middle of the week cause I was sitting at home all day, lol] and that was the [.5] week period [the new week started on Sunday]. I was Really un comfortable by the 36th week and wanted them OUT!

The hospital would only induce after 37 wks so at my 37.5 wk check up, we went ahead and scheduled it for the Monday [7/7] and I was 38 wks and 2 days.

Everything happened so fast and I'm very happy with the outcome. There were no complications, the babies were healthy, they latched on right away and total labor time was 6.5 hrs]

Good luck, mama! You're doing an AWESOME job!!