How many kids per class?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by FirstTimeMom814, Aug 12, 2010.

1. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

I was wondering how many kids your elementary school has per class. I'm not sure if ours changes by grade, but our kinder classes have about 15 kids per class. I think I read someone here on TS say they had 28 kids per class.

2. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Wow, 15 kids for K is awesome. Even the 10 years I taught, our K classes always had more than 15. When my oldest was in K she had about 24 kids in her class. I know my DD's school just took a teacher from 4th grade down to K last week, so there are five K teachers now and I "heard" that bring the numbers to about 20 per class as of right now for K.

Last year in 3rd grade my DD had 26 kids in her class.

3. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm not sure about the class size for K. I guess I'll find out in a couple of weeks.

4. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls school the K max's out at either 23 or 24. I know that in May they were 10 students away from the max out number so I'm hoping they get the 10 students so there is a 5th class.

5. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Last year Sophie had 20 kids in her kindergarten class-and for 1st grade she has 22...its getting a little high for my liking.
    Wow 28?!

And 15 is awesome!! That seems perfect!

6. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

My boys had about 23-24 kids in each class. I have to admit, on the several occasions that I was in the classroom, it was for hectic and nerve wracking for me ! I don't know how they (the teachers) do it. Plus what I saw was a lot of trying to get everyone settled down, this took like 5-6 minutes each time.

7. cricket1

cricket1 Well-Known Member

We had 28 in the boys kinder class last year and the pm class was about the same, And there were only about 8/9 girls in each class! Boy, boys, boys. Yes it was hectic. From what I understand they have even more this year. They are hoping it will be enough to get another teacher but they were not sure. So, I imagine we are looking at about the same size for first grade.

8. FirstTimeMom814

I'm not sure what the limit is, but that is about how many they had at the end of the year when we toured the classrooms. I'm hoping that this year is the same.

9. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Last year for kinder they had 19 in the all day and 18 in the 1/2 day class. They were hoping enrollment would go up. They need 51 kids in a grade to get a third teacher, but at last check, they were at 46. So, currently it looks like we'll have 2 sections of 23 kids each for first. That might be enough to qualify for having an aide, but I'm not sure on that.

Marissa

10. sv2001302

sv2001302 Well-Known Member

23 kids in Alyssa's class

11. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

My DD's KG class had 24 in it and her 1st grade started out with 24, but went down to 23. I think with budget cuts, they are allowing up to 30 in grades 1-4 this year. The twins are starting Young 5's KG this year and from what I hear, there is usually 15-20 in those classes.

12. 2 Munchkins

2 Munchkins Well-Known Member

K - 4th is usually 20 - 22 per class. Starting in 5th they can go up to a higher student/teacher ratio, so the size is about 25 - 30.

13. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

The area we moved from had 26-28 kids in a K class.

In our current area it is capped at 24.

14. Becky02

Becky02 Well-Known Member

The class (or group of kids) that my girls are in is around 80 students. In kindergarten (which is all day) they had 5 teachers and had anywhere from 15-19 kids in a class (with kids leaving or being added). For 1st grade they went down to 4 teachers and there were 18-22 kids in a class. My one daughter started out with 19 but ended with 21. I don't know what the max for student/teacher ratio is but having the 20 doesn't seem to bad, unless you have a child (or more) that like to cause problems like the one teacher had this year (thankfully it wasn't either one of my girls that had that student/s in the class).

15. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

The norm for elem here is 20 to 25 with K having a teacher's aide. Aaron's class last year had 23. Not sure about the twin's class this year yet. 15 is awesome!

16. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Prek takes 80 total 40 morning 40 afternoon 2 classes. I just want to know how they get each class to have exactly ten girls and ten boys!!!

17. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

15 is great! We have 23 in our class, which is the max for their school. The "overflow" class has 33, so they will have two teachers in that class. If they get any more kids they will have to open another class, but they don't have anywhere to put it! I think at that point they will have to offer spots at other elem. schools with fewer kids.

18. mommyto3girls

mommyto3girls Well-Known Member

When my first DD was in k, there were 21 in her class. After that my girls have had anywhere from 14 - 18 in their classes.

19. debid

debid Well-Known Member

20 this year.

20. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

Kindergarten has 28 to 34 depending upon enrollment.

First through third will have 24 next year, but that number may go up by the time mine are in first.

Fourth through six has up to 36.

21. Dani Boyle

Dani Boyle Well-Known Member

Last year each of the classes had around 20- I think Maddie's ended up with 18 and Connor's had 19. This year I have no idea because we changed schools (same district) and there are 2 classrooms for 2nd grade. I've heard that in the past few years there haven't been 15 students in a class.

22. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

My boys have had 21-23 in their class every year since K, their grade is 125-130 kids, so they are at 6 classes, and will probably remain that way through middle school. The class behind them has 85 kids, so they had around 15 per class for K, but are around 20 since. The current K is around 20-21 due to budget cuts and only having 4 classes.

23. blessedby2

blessedby2 Well-Known Member

We will have 22, 4 classes total for a grand total of 88 students - last we heard.

Interesting post. :)

24. Sandsam

Sandsam Well-Known Member

Kindergarten this year was 25 kids, with one full time assistant. 1st grade is 32.

My oldest dd had 38 (no typo) kids in her 6th grade class. No TA.

I hate our schools. They were decent 6 yrs ago when we moved here but now they are out of control. We pay $10,000 per year in taxes for this.

Sorry to get started. We live in MN.

25. kimr

kimr Well-Known Member

We just found out yesterday that there will be 3 kindergartens with 22 kids in each class. Each of the classrooms has aide.

26. hudsonfour

hudsonfour Well-Known Member

Right now my K girls have 15 kids in each class. I teach 4th with 17 students currently in my classroom.
    In Florida a few years ago we voted on class size caps. This year class size caps are required, but the amendment is being fought on the ballot this Nov.

--
    K thru Grade 3 does not exceed 18K
    ••
    Grades 4 thru 8 does not exceed 22
    ••
    Grades 9 thru 12 does not exceed 25

As a teacher I really hope that the class size amendment doesn't change, I feel that smaller classes benefit both students and teachers.

1 person likes this.
  27. Username

Username Well-Known Member

17 for my son and 16 for my daughter. They are in 2 and 4th this year and will have 21 and 26. The 26 exceeds state limits for us. Our town did not pass (another) override this year, so some teachers were lost. PreK (ages 3 and 4) have between 10 and 14 with two teachers.

(We live in a town ranked in the top five for education overall within the state of Massachusetts. I can't even imagine what it would be like to be in a town with a "bad" school system!)

28. K*D*B

K*D*B Well-Known Member

Last year was 32-33 for Kinder
    I hear this year for first grade it is going to be 30
    It seems that the past couple years each class has gone up by a few students because of budget problems.

29. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Our prek has 1 teacher and 1 aide also. Kindergarten and 1st have 7 teachers each with no aides. I'm hoping that classes will be between 15 and 20.

30. cantwait2bmom

cantwait2bmom Well-Known Member

My daughter has 23 kids in her class and my son has 20 kids.

31. FirstTimeMom814

We currently have 23 (22 is the state max) so as of next week there will be a new kinder class and our class size should go down.

32. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

for Kinder it is 25
    1st grade 30

it is hard to find kids who can test into our school since they have to be bilingual so new kids are not common. They start 1st grade with 30 due to expecting attrition. My dd's 6th grade class has 21 kids. My DS's 4th grade class has 26 kids.

Our school is a lottery system to get in so it's easy for them to control the number of kids entering.
    2 grades have 2 classes but all other grades only has 1 class per grade.

33. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

We have 27 with a full-time student teacher and a floating aide!

34. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We have 20 in our class and one aide in the classroom.

35. LouCee

LouCee Well-Known Member

One of my boys is in a special ed class that's supposed to have 12 students, 1 teacher, 1 aide. Instead it ended up being 7 students (for now), 1 teacher, 2 aides.

The other is in a general ed class and there are about 25 students, 1 teacher and, I think, 2 aides.