How long were you dilated before delivery/labor?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by cmccarthy, Jul 10, 2008.

1. cmccarthy

cmccarthy Well-Known Member

I was told yesterday that I am 50% effaced and 1cm dilated. I'm not overly concerned but I was just wondering how other mother's fared in this department. With my son, I was 1cm for 2 weeks before being induced (at 39 weeks) but I don't know if I should expect something different with twins. I am 33 weeks right now and just trying to get a feel of how things are progressing comparatively. My mother wants to come up for the birth and planning is in my nature. LOL
    I have not lost my plug (that I have noticed anyway) yet but do have tremendous pressure on my pubic bone. The doctor also said he could "feel the head right there" during this same exam. This actually made me very happy as A had previously been transverse. It is nice to know that she is now head down.

Thanks for listening and offering your experience.

2. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

I dont have any advice (never dilated! had a scheduled c/s) but wanted to say Good Luck!!!
    Only a few more weeks & you will have your sweet little babies! :)

3. nanhancan

nanhancan Well-Known Member

At 32W I was 80% & 2cm. I went to 36W5D. After 32W, I didn't let anyone check me again (every time they would stir up a million contractions). So, I could have been more. When I got to the hospital I was almost 6cm & 100%.
    Good luck!

4. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

I was a fingertip at 31 weeks, 2 cm at 32 and 33 weeks, 3 cm at 34 and 35 weeks, 4 cm at 36 and 37 weeks, 4 1/2 cm at 38 weeks and at my induction at 38w2d.

I had a very heavy child before (9lbs+) and a d&c ... so it's more common to dialate earlier. I had a very uneventful pregnancy, and looking at the birth weights of my babies, the fairly early dialation wasn't surprising and my doctor wasn't concerned. They were estimated around 9lbs in total at 30 weeks, and around 12-13lbs total at 34 weeks. They were born 15 1/2lbs in total at 38w2d, so very accurate u/s.

5. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I went 41 weeks with DS1, induced

With the twins I was 2-3 cm from 32 to 36w, then was 4 cm from 36w to 38w2d when I went into labor but still needed pit to contract beyond 6cm.

Good luck

6. melstofko

melstofko Well-Known Member

At 33 weeks with my singleton I was 1 cm. Between then and 36-37 weeks I dilated to 3-3/12 depending who checked me and I stayed that way through numerous contractions until I was induced 4 days before my due date (39 w 3d). It was my second baby and I was sure that I was gonna go at anytime after 36 weeks-I was wrong :)

7. Emily@Home

Emily@Home Well-Known Member

With my singletons, I was always dilated 5 cm + by 37 weeks. . . but always went fullterm to 39 weeks and beyond. Actually, I was dilated 2 cm, 50% effaced by 27 weeks with my second pregnancy. . . put on bedrest and did not go into labor until 39w1d.

Also, this time with twins, I was down to .9cm of cervical length - not much left there - by 27 weeks. Had a cerclage at 21 weeks, and we made it to 34w1d even with polyhydramnios. I tend to have painless contrax that dilate me early and slowly.

8. Ange2k25

Ange2k25 Well-Known Member

My girls were my first pregnancy. The OB commented about baby a's head being "right there" at my 30 week check-up. This caused a lot of pressure. She was at 0 station at that point on to the end of the pregnancy. I was hospitalized at 33 weeks with PTL and was 2 cm dilated and 80% effaced then. Stayed that way until 36 week appt. when I was 4 cm and 80-90% effaced. The OB was sure I'd be back within 24 hours but I ended up being induced at 38 weeks.