How long should their cough/cold last?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by newtothis, Feb 22, 2010.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

last friday my LO started coughing. i brought him to the doc and they said he had RSV and it turned into bronchiolitis.
    his brother finally started coughing but it isn't as bad as the original baby that got it.

my question is - they still have runny noses and coughs. is this normal? should i call the doc?

2. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Yes, I think that is normal. I think a typical cold last about 10-14 days in this house with a lingering cough and/or runny nose. Bronchiolitis seemed to stick around in our house for a month. :faint: I would call your Ped if they are off--fever, lethargic, etc.

3. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

they are definitely a bit more lethargic. they are napping and generally stay up from about 11 to 2. hmm...maybe their naps are just changing? they were out all day yesterday so maybe thats why they are tired?

4. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

Sounds normal to me. My LO's colds seem to last about 2 weeks. I think I would avoid the Pedi. unless you are concerned there is something really serious going on.

5. ssb2e

ssb2e Well-Known Member

Sounds normal to me too. My two have had the same thing for about a month. They passed it back and forth, so had a lingering cough, runny nose, etc for several weeks. I did take them back to the Dr several times during this, but it was obvious when I needed to call the Dr. It wasn't just a cough or runny nose, it was a high fever, or very rapid, shallow breathing, etc. Good luck with them. Hope it goes away quickly!

6. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with Rachel, the runny nose & cough can linger for a long time with kids. Unless they have a fever & seem to be feeling really bad, I wouldn't worry too much.

7. Callen

Callen Well-Known Member

My MIL always says a cold is 3 days coming, 3 days staying, 3 days going.

Seems to be a good average :)

8. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I also agree with Rachel :)

9. perfekticon

perfekticon Member

If your child or children have bronchiolitis then they will probably be sick for a few weeks. This is very normal for babies with bronchioltis. Trust me I know my medical knowledge.