How long does your pedi take to get back to you?

Discussion in 'General' started by Jersey_Girls, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Jersey_Girls

Jersey_Girls Well-Known Member

Hi Folks,

I don't call my pedi that often so I am not sure what is a normal wait time-

I called the pedi this morning at 9:00 to see if I could bring in my girls who appear to have croup (barking cough, struggle with breathing at night). I was told someone would call me back. When no one called back by 10:30 I called again just make sure they had my number, etc. I was told yes, they had my message and someone would call back. It's now been 3 hours since my initial call- is this normal in your experiences? It seems like a long time- but, I know this time of year they are busy...not sure if I should call again....My girls are fine now but I think they definitely need steroids to keep them from those awful stridors that happen at night- should I go to emergency if the doc doesn't call back?

Thanks for your input or any advice!

Lisa

2. Jersey_Girls

Jersey_Girls Well-Known Member

Hi Folks,

I don't call my pedi that often so I am not sure what is a normal wait time-

I called the pedi this morning at 9:00 to see if I could bring in my girls who appear to have croup (barking cough, struggle with breathing at night). I was told someone would call me back. When no one called back by 10:30 I called again just make sure they had my number, etc. I was told yes, they had my message and someone would call back. It's now been 3 hours since my initial call- is this normal in your experiences? It seems like a long time- but, I know this time of year they are busy...not sure if I should call again....My girls are fine now but I think they definitely need steroids to keep them from those awful stridors that happen at night- should I go to emergency if the doc doesn't call back?

Thanks for your input or any advice!

Lisa

3. becky5

becky5 Guest

When I call for a sick appointment, I get it right away. I would call back, because you know they will be worse tonight. Hope they feel better soon, croup is terrible. [​IMG]

4. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

If I'm waiting on a nurses call, it can sometimes take 2-3 hours. Sometimes less. It really tends to depend on the day or time of day, I think. Sometimes I get a call back in 10 minutes. But if I'm making an appt for a sick baby, I get through to a receptionist right away, and they've always gotten us in that day!

I would say that if it's not an emergency, don't take them to the ER. If you think waiting on the Dr's not an option, is there a walk-in clinic in your town? If you don't get a call back by the end of the day and a walk-in clinic's not an option, and you think they need to get in for the steroids before bed, I'd take them to the ER then. But I would think the Dr's office should be back to you by then!!

5. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Our pedi. office has different numbers to push depending on why you are calling. If I am calling to make an appt. I push a number and it takes me to the receptionist who handles the appt., I make one then and there and don't have to worry about someone calling me back.

If I am calling the nurse line, then I push a different number, and it says they will call you back by the end of the day. They usually call back within a few hours.

Do you have to leave a message to try and make an appt.?

6. mmtva

mmtva Well-Known Member

Our ped calls back within 2 hours usually sooner though...

They may be short handed because of the holiday and it being a high volume sick time. I would give them a little more time and see what happens.

Hope the girls feel better soon!

7. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

I have only had to call once, when I thought K had pink eye. The doc called me back within 10 minutes and called in a prescription that was ready in one hour.

8. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

After hours, it can be up to an hour, although usually, I hear back within a half hour. During office hours, I usually get an answer right away.

9. BettiePage

BettiePage Well-Known Member

During office hours, I am always put right through to a nurse when I've called for a sick baby, and if needed, get a same-day appointment set up right away during that first call. Having called a couple times recently for a toddler having breathing issues, I can tell you that I've called between 8-9 am and had appointments for no later than 9:45-10:15.

Now, for less urgent issues and when the nurse might have to have some back and forth with the doctor (like when Rita was having some reflux issues around 2 months old), it's taken up to about 2 hours to get a call back.

But 3 hours for breathing issues for a 3.5 yo is, IMHO, unacceptable. I wouldn't go the ER if it was during business hours, but I would call the pedi back and insist they get you in today, or I would try going to an urgent care facility or even calling a new pedi.

10. Tara F

Tara F Well-Known Member

I think the response should be quicker then hours, my doctor is quick but it is a small practice, Tara

11. micheleinohio

micheleinohio Well-Known Member

The longest I remember was 1 hour and it is usually more like 10 mins.

12. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

How is she feeling today?

13. Laura56

Laura56 Well-Known Member

Mekhi's pedi actually answers the phone after hours. She puts a number on the message to call and she answers it. She even answered at 9:30 pm on Thanksgiving and talked to me and told us to bring him right into the ER and answered at 10:30 pm when the ER doc called her. During office hours if she isn't in seeing a patient she answers the phone. Otherwise she calls back when she gets out of the room seeing the patient. And she has a huge practice... she's one of the big pedi's around here.

I hope the girls feel better soon! I hate croup!