How long did/do you

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by 2plusbgtwins, Jul 9, 2009.

1. 2plusbgtwins

2plusbgtwins Well-Known Member

Currently we have bunkbeds, in which my 5 1/2 yr old sleeps on the bottom bunk. My other three children have toddler beds. They are 4 1/2, and almost 3yrs. We dont really have the money to buy new beds right now, so Im just wondering how long can/should a child stay in a toddler bed? Im sure the twins will be fine for at least another year, since my older DD is still in one now. Hopefully I can get her a new one within the next year. Worse comes to Worse I have no problem shopping at a thrift store. . but for now, what do you think?

2. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I don't think there's any reason to move them by any particular age, as long as they're not too tall to be comfortable in the bed. A&S both seemed to have a lot of room left in their cribs (which are the same size as toddler beds, right?) when we moved them to twin beds at age 3. We moved them because the cribs couldn't handle all that jumping (and it just seemed silly for kids that age to be in cribs much longer), but size-wise, they could have stayed in them a lot longer.

3. 2plusbgtwins

Yes, they are the same size. They actually use crib mattresses on the toddler beds. None of them are to tall, but I was wondering about weight or comfort, since toddler beds just have metal rails going across that the mattress sits on.

4. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

Naomi and Luke are still in their toddler beds (at almost 5 1/2), they want to get bunkbeds so I think they'll stay in the toddler beds until they're old enough for those (6-7). They are no danger of hitting the ends of them and seem perfectly comfortable (their beds are wooden, so they have wooden slats under the mattresses). They are at the lower end of average for height/weight.

If your children seem happy, sleep well, and are not complaining about their beds being uncomfortable or bumpy then I'd say they're fine staying in the toddler beds.

5. korie99

korie99 Well-Known Member

Sarah is still in a toddler bed, Alex just went into a twin bed last weekend. We picked up a captains bed for him for free that we just couldn't pass up. I love his new bed, but I definitely miss the teeny toddler bed! It took up almost no space at all! I say keep them in them as long as they are comfortable, and enjoy the tininess of them! :D

6. p31heather

p31heather Well-Known Member

My girls age 4 never were in toddler beds, and the bunk beds that they are in have the metal slats across the bottoms and they sleep in the twin sized beds. We don't have them bunked however -- for a couple of reasons. The biggest reason we don't have them bunked is that I don't want to mess with changing sheets and making up the top bunk. Seems too much of a pain. We have enough space in this house that we don't need to conserve floor space in their room -- all toys are in the family room on the main lvl or playroom in the basement. Sorry for the bunk bed tangent.

I don't think they will be uncomfortable in the toddler beds, especially since height/length isn't a concern.

7. nikki_0724

nikki_0724 Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly the weight limits on them were 50lbs. Aside from that I would think as long as theya re not over the weight limit and theur still fit in the bed they should be ok.

8. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I think they are fine!! I have one in a toddler bed and the other in a twin, simply because I want to be able to sit on the bed to read goodnight stories!

9. 2plusbgtwins

Thanks for all the replies. That makes me feel better. Space is an issue, because we only have three bedrooms and for now, they all share, so that they can have one room strictly dedicated to toys. So, the small toddler beds do help in that area. My older DD is only just about 40lbs, so she should be fine if the weight limit is 50lbs.

I wish my bunkbeds had the option to not bunk. I would do that in a heartbeat, but the way its made, you have to have them on top of eachother, or it wont be sturdy. (but they were free so Im not complaining)

Thanks again. I guess I still have some time to get bigger beds.