How far did you make it?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by MonicaBaker, May 26, 2008.

1. MonicaBaker

MonicaBaker Well-Known Member

Hi ladies,
    I am only 5'1" and my doctor has always told me he just hopes to get me to 35 weeks because I am so short. He says because I am shorter the babies just dont have as much room as a tall or average height woman and am more likely to go into pre-term labor because of this. My Dr's mom had twins and she was 5'2" and made it to 35 weeks. My questions is, if you have had your twins- how far did you make and how tall are you? If you havent had your twins yet and you are 32+ weeks along- how tall are you and how far does your Dr expect you to make it? Also, to all of you short ladies like me :) , has your Dr mentioned height being a factor at all?

Thanks and everyone have a Happy Memorial Day!

2. Mum2TwinBoys

Mum2TwinBoys Well-Known Member

I am 4'11" and I made it to 35 weeks. I wonder if my doc had kept me on bedrest and on the terb if i would have made it longer. Our bodies are amazing and can do wonderful things. You may be uncomfortable as sin but they will find the room.

3. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I am 5'3" and made it to 38weeks 4 days

CONGRATULATIONS!!

4. AshleyLD

AshleyLD Well-Known Member

i am "average" height and made it to 38+3 and my dr expected me to make it to 35 weeks.
    congrats on your pregnancy!!

5. melissak

melissak Well-Known Member

I'm 5'4" and made it to 36 weeks.

6. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I am 5'4" and made it to 37 weeks. Size restriction didn't seem to be an issue; the babies were about 6 lbs each at birth. My OB said that taller women may be more comfortable carrying twins, but unless you are super-short, it doesn't necessarily mean you will deliver early.

7. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

I'm 5'4" and made it to 39 weeks. :)

8. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

38+2 and I am 5'9".

9. PJ

PJ Well-Known Member

I am 5ft 4in and made it to 38 wks.

10. AliPaige717

AliPaige717 Well-Known Member

I am 5'1" and made it to 34+6 and both the girls were transverse the entire time. I had a very uneventful pregnancy and was never on any bedrest although I did have to stop commuting to NYC for work 2 months before my due date. My Dr fully expected me to make it to 38 weeks.

11. hot2trottt4u

hot2trottt4u Well-Known Member

I am 5' 9" and i was induced at 38 weeks and 4 days :)

12. lleddinger

lleddinger Well-Known Member

My dd is 5'1 and had a scheduled c/s at 36w 1d.. no signs of labor..

13. LBoogie

LBoogie Member

I'm 5'7" and being induced at 36 weeks due to low fluid for Baby A and IUGR. My OB never said anything about height and pg length.

14. Queen of Carrots

Queen of Carrots Well-Known Member

I'm 5'5" and have made it 34 weeks so far. My doctor expects me to go 38+ weeks. :p

15. Amanda

Amanda Well-Known Member

I'm only an inch taller than you and I'd have easily gone to 40 weeks if I wasn't in my 14th straight day of a very painful migraine.
    They 'took them' on the last day of my 37 th week.
    Also, I have a ridiculously short torso, my boobs are all but sitting at my hips! LOL! I still managed to successfully carry almost 14 pounds of babies all the way!

16. laura305

laura305 Well-Known Member

thank you for asking this i was seriously wondering...

i'm 5'3" and my sons pediatrician made a comment on me making it to term because of my height my dr hasnt mentioned anything but i'm terrified of running out of space for these two.. i know i can hold a pretty big baby, my son was 8lb7oz at 38w. So.. i know i can at least do about 9-10 pounds of baby.. My dr was amazed that i got him out they thought he was around 7 :D but i'm definatly feeling streched to my limits

17. Amanda

Amanda Well-Known Member

you can do it, trust me!

My 1st baby was 8.7 lbs and then the twins were nearly 7lbs each. It can be done, it feels like it can't, but it can! :D

18. ferfischer

ferfischer Well-Known Member

I'm 5'5" and I made it to sched c-section at 38w4d - no signs of labor.

19. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

5'5" and 35 wks!

20. idtwinstx

idtwinstx Well-Known Member

I am 5'2" and my doctor said that I would probably make it to 36 weeks, I made it to my 38 week scheduled c-section. My gyno does not let her twin patients go past 38 weeks. At the point that I had my c-section, I had absolutely no signs of impending labor. I don't know that height really has anything to do with it. Hope your pregnancy goes well :D

21. Mommyof3in05

Mommyof3in05 Well-Known Member

Im 5'2" and was induced at 38.5 weeks and the twins were both over 6lbs each.

22. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I am 5'2 and only made it to right before 29 weeks. My dr was concerned as well bc he said I have such a small frame and height. I only made it to 36 weeks with both my singletons. I was told I have a very small uterus...don't know if that makes a difference (although I thought all our organs were relative to size, so I am small...I should have a small uterus...)

23. CPERHAY

CPERHAY Active Member

I am 5 ft even and my first dd was born 9 lbs, 12 oz, 22 1/2 inches. No my husband isn't that tall either!!!! I managed to carry her to 40 weeks so I am sure I can carry these two also. My dr has never mentioned my height as an issue, although I do feel that being short plays a huge role in how uncomfortable we are. There just isn't any room for them so we can only grow out! I feel like I look as pregnant now as I did when I was 40 weeks with her!!! Kind of scared of what I will look like in another three months!
    Good luck to all you shorties!!!

CP

24. lclemens

lclemens Member

I'm 5'4 at 33 1/2 weeks. My dr mentioned my height being a challenge for twins also. I'm small boned and she said that my body wasn't really built for twins but I'm still hanging in there. My dr thinks I'll make it to 37 weeks and wants to schedule the c-section for then. I've been working from home the past three weeks and it has really helped me avoid PTL scare and keep them cooking!

Best of luck to you! My advice is to really listen to your body and take it easy.

25. lorig6

lorig6 Well-Known Member

I am 5'0. I made it to 35 weeks but I didn't go into PTL. My son's heart rate dropped during a rare contraction condition I developed but I wasn't even 1cm dil. I had no bed rest either and worked 5 days/week but did 1/2 days up until 1 week before I delivered. Hang in there! It's tough being short and carrying twins.

26. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

I'm 4'11 and made it to 38 weeks with no signs of labor and no bedrest...

Brigette

27. pamallhoney

pamallhoney Well-Known Member

I'm 5'2" and I carried them until 37w3d to a planned c-section. I had no signs of going into labor at that point. I'm sure I would have carried them full-term like almost all my others who were 11 days late. I noticed with the twins that my belly had to pop out really far to carry them.

28. VivGuest

VivGuest Well-Known Member

I've been wondering this as well. I'm 5'1, 22 wks my dr hasn't said anything but some of my friends have made some comments about it. I'm just hoping that it won't be a problem because I do have a longer torso for my height, just really short stubby legs.

29. stephie1996

stephie1996 Well-Known Member

I've never heard of that.. I am 5'5 and I made it to 31 weeks.

30. veggiehead

veggiehead Well-Known Member

I am 5'3 and made it to 37weeks6days. No bedrest - worked out until the day my water broke!

31. ladybenz

ladybenz Well-Known Member

I am 5'3" and was induced at 38 weeks--and my boys were born 2 days later by c-section.

32. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

5' 3" and change...made it to 31.6- and only due to PTL, I have a slight frame, but carried them well . I was big, but not 'twin' huge. The girls were 3.8 and 3.13, but would have been about 6lbs each if I had not had PTL (due to fetal distress, not my size).

Peri never mentioned height, rather frame- I have a light frame and she said 'sturdier' frames carry better.

KC

33. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I am 5'3 and made it to my scheduled c-section at 38 weeks. I have a long torso though.

34. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

Some doctors are concerned about height while others say it has nothing to do with it. I tend to lean towards the latter camp.

I'm 5 ft 2.5 in and I was nowhere near labor when we induced at 35 weeks 2 days. I measured 47 weeks at that point and could have easily carried those babies longer if Sierra hadn't had IUGR problems due to TTTS and a 2-vessel umbilical cord. I carried my 9.9 lb son to 42 weeks.

35. mom23sweetgirlies

mom23sweetgirlies Well-Known Member

I'm 4 ft 11 in and I delivered my girls at 35 wks + 3 days. I had a perfect pregnancy up until about 31 weeks when I started having some contractions and my blood pressure starting getting higher. They stopped my labor until I was 35 weeks and then because my blood pressure wasn't getting better and I was still contracting they let me go ahead and have them. My twin A had IUGR so she was tiny, but both of them were perfectly healthy and still are. My Dr. never mentioned anything about my height.
    Edited to add that I delivered my oldest DD full term and had not one problem during the pregnancy.