How early did you find out you were having twins?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by lareesab, Jan 13, 2009.

1. lareesab

lareesab Well-Known Member

I found out at 6 wks. I was so excited and in total shock!! Tell me your stories!!

2. becky5

becky5 Guest

21 weeks, 3rd u/s!

3. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

9 weeks, my lab work must have been wonky. First visit to the OB.

4. Jenn G

Jenn G Well-Known Member

I was 6 weeks 1 day and my ob saw 2 yolk sacs but only one heartbeat. I went back 5 days later to (hopefully) see the 2nd heartbeat which we did.. I was also in complete shock. We could also tell right away that they were identical because they were sharing the same "space". It was such an exciting time. I don't think I slept at all from the time we suspected twins until it was confirmed.

5. twinmuffin

twinmuffin Well-Known Member

I went in at 6 weeks due to major bleeding. I figured I was miscarrying.

DH was with me. She was doing a vaginal ultrasound, and I kept looking at the screen thinking I was seeing 2 babies, but not really sure, for all I knew it could be my kidneys? The Dr. said she was looking around, and then would tell us what she was finding. When the Dr. asked, "Did you have any assistance in getting pregnant?" I knew right then and there that it was 2 babies she had seen. She had to spell it out a little more clearly for DH.

No heartbeats at that time. I went in 8 days later, and there were 2 heartbeats.

6. I was 14 weeks when I found out. What a Shock!

7. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

6 weeks. I was terrified. The tech put the probe up there and we immediately saw two sacs -- DH said "That looks like two," but the tech wouldn't confirm it (even though it was obvious) until she could see two fetal poles and two hearts.

Even though we were obviously happy the IVF worked, it took me a loooong time (like, till they were about 6 months old :D) to be psyched about having twins.

8. caryanne07

caryanne07 Well-Known Member

8 weeks pregnant here...was having spotting so had an u/s...and there they were...2!

9. PurpleNurple

PurpleNurple Well-Known Member

8 weeks exactly! 1st US.
    I don't know WHY my dr booked me so early for an US - I lived in Saskatchewan at the time and I now live in Ontario - and even my twins sisters had to wait till 11 or 12 weeks for the 1st US! They couldn't even ask for an early one. Maybe the laws are different in Ontario.
    My story...
    I was 22.
    1st Pregnancy
    No Assistance
    I got pregnant the 1st time without protection (oops!)
    3rd month off BCPs
    I have a history of twins - I have younger twin sisters
    And I was as SICK AS A DOG....Hyperemisis - which was not "diagnosed" till I was about 13 weeks. I actually diagnosed myself because no one could tell me what was wrong. It started at 5weeks.
    The Hyperemisis was not a sign of twins...so really that was unrelated.

I had a vaginal US for my 1st US...and detected twins within seconds!

Before I found out I was pregnant (@ 3 weeks), my husband was praying and God told him that I was pregnant. My husband never told me till I showed him the test. Soon after, God told my husband that it was twins - I didn't believe that, I thought it was just one - and it was a boy. At the US, as soon as the picture showed up, we could plainly see TWO sacks, TWO babies and TWO heartbeats!
    My husband started "pacing" and I started laughing!! The tec had to ask me to stop laughing because it was shaking the monitor...lol. When we left (as high as a kite!), my dh was like, SEE - I TOLD YOU!!! I then started saying that it was 2 girls...not 1 boy...lol. And my husband said that he believed it was one of each...nope, I wanted 2 girls!
    And what did we have?

One of each!

I guess God talks to my husband more than He talks to me! LOL!

Later on in the pregnancy, we were able to detect only one gender - a boy. Baby A was our Mystery baby! When we found out that one was a boy, I immediately started hoping that the other was a girl...nothing against twin boys, I just REALLY wanted a girl!! As soon as they took our Mystery baby out and said "It's a girl!" all was well with the world...I just wanted that girl! And I guess after the H&* of a pregnancy that I had, I deserved to get one of each - no pressure to have more!
    However, I would like one more...my husband isn't sure if he'd like having just ONE more...all we know is twins, so in his mind, he would like to have twins again! I need to tell him to stop praying! Haha!

10. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

My DD was 8 months old when SURPRISE we got pregnant. The doctor had told us our chances of getting pregnant a second time were slim to none and when we were ready we should use medical assistance. I guess he was wrong.

I never got my cycle back and was exclusively bf'ing my DD when we found out. Honestly, women's intuition was what influenced me to try a home pregnancy test. What a shock!!! I had two early ultrasounds to date the pregnancy. The twins weren't picked up in either. I switched doctors at around 15 weeks and LOVED my new one. He gave us an ultrasound to show off his new 3D machine. That's when we found out we were having twins. I was in shock. My husband was speechless. He didn't talk for quite a while . . . The timing was horendous, but still, what an extreme blessing. I still feel like such a lucky mom that I was blessed with the kids I have!!!

11. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

We pretty much knew from the pg test. This was our 3rd ivf cycle. When they called with the results, my hcg level was 635; anything over 50 means you're pg. We found out for sure at our first ultrasound at 6 weeks.

I can picture it like it was yesterday, standing in the parking lot with my DH asking him over and over again "are you ok with this?". It took him about a day or so until the shock wore off.

12. lareesab

lareesab Well-Known Member

I had a vaginal u/s at 6 weeks and they knew my boys were identical, shared same "black space" with 2 yolk sacs. My husband actually saw the 2nd one before the tech did!! Found out they were boys at 14 wks! Thanks for all your great stories!!!

13. mandyfish3

mandyfish3 Well-Known Member

9 weeks. we had an ultrasound at my first appt because i was so worried because i had had a miscarriage 6 months earlier!

14. my2littlebubbas

my2littlebubbas Well-Known Member

12 weeks at first ultrasound. It was my favorite day ever. I loved calling people and telling them. My grandma cried, my dad cried, my bf said "shut-up" and wouldn't speak for a couple of seconds in complete shock. It was great!!! Ours are honeymoon babies, spent a month taking ovulation tests to try and not get pregnant when we got back from honeymoon to only realize that I was already prego. Twins were the ultimate shocker as DH was in grad school and I was a teacher commuting 45 minutes to work each way. Life is a little more under control now. Well, I think.

15. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

9 weeks...was my first OB appointment. Shock, shock, shock. I still laugh thinking about how we reacted to the news.

16. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

We found out at 7 weeks. I had been on Clomid and we set up this u/s to specifically determine "how many" were in there.

17. CHJH

CHJH Well-Known Member

7 weeks.

18. ashes200264

ashes200264 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(burbridgemom @ Jan 13 2009, 10:13 AM) [snapback]1144964[/snapback]
    I found out at 6 wks. I was so excited and in total shock!! Tell me your stories!!

I was 10 weeks when I found out I was having 2! I do ultrasounds for a living and one day while at work, I decieded to take a look and see what i thought was one baby! I seen two and thought there is no way there are 2!! I called another sonographer into the room and she comfirmed it!!! I was in complete shock!!! I called my OB and told her I was having twins and she wanted to know how I knew!! lol a few days later I went to her office and she confirmed 2 babies with independant movement!!!...Thats the last time I ever took a look....I was afraid to finding more than 2!!!

19. Sarah74

Sarah74 Well-Known Member

It was at my "big" 20 week ultrasound. I went in hoping to find out the gender of my baby. The ultrasound tech started doing her thing and a few minutes into she just completely stopped with a very strange look on her face and said "I need to ask you something." My first thought was something is wrong with the baby but then though no, she wouldn't tell me, the dr would and then I thought twins as she said "Did you know you were having twins?" It was the most shocking thing. The cool thing is I had asked my daughter's teacher (2nd grade) if I could pull her out of school to go see with us. Her teacher ok'd it and my DD got to be there. She almost hyperventilated she was so shocked and excited. I bet she will never forget that day!

20. Halseyse

Halseyse Well-Known Member

20 wk apt. FIRST ultrasound! Very surprised!

21. twinsmommy11007

twinsmommy11007 Well-Known Member

We had done IVF with ICSI....We had had one miscarriage after our first round. When we had our 2nd round we had 2 implanted and I thought both may stay since I did not have any bleeding and we had a positive test. The at the u/s at 6 weeks they confirmed 2 sacs. My husband and I were so thrilled I could not wait to call everyone!

22. erwelch

erwelch Well-Known Member

10wks due to bleeding, I had the 1st u/s of the day at 7am and was by myself (no DH). I think the tech was nervous to even tell me it was twins b/c I had just finished telling her this was a surprise pregnancy, my DS was only 9mths old and I was still EBF him. It was quite a shock, I didn't even tell DH I just handed him the u/s photo with Baby A and Baby B, he didn't believe me!!!

23. ckkillman

ckkillman Well-Known Member

6 weeks. I had bloodwork done since I had a m/c before. Nurse said my numbers were excellent and asked if I wanted to come in for an u/s. They suspected it was twins, but didn't let us in on it.

24. Jennifer P

Jennifer P Well-Known Member

20 weeks, first ultrasound.
    I called my dad and said "are you sitting"
    and he said "why, are you having twins?" in a "why do I have to sit down" way.
    I said yes....he didn't believe me at first.

25. Hathoo

Hathoo Member

My Dad is a triplet and I've always wanted triplets so I've told my husband since, forever, that I was going to have triplets someday! When I got preg with "#2" I was huge from the start, everyone kept saying, oh, you're always bigger faster the second time around, but I swore I had more than one baby in there. My OB never suspected, apparently my measurements were never higher than "normal". Once asked me about baby movement, I told her I thought I felt movement in 2 different places at the same time, she said, "oh, it's just your bowels!".

19 week US, as soon as the tech put the probe on my belly, she says "do twins run in your family?" I turned to my husband and said "I told you!!" He just shook his head, good thing I'd been preparing him all these years! twins was sigh of relief to him!! ;)

26. Lynner405

Lynner405 Well-Known Member

I found out at 7 weeks, I had a ton of pain and was afraid of a tubal pregnancy...so my ob scheduled an ultrasound. The pain turned out to be a cyst, but the minute the ultrasound started we saw two sacs with two babies. I cried out "There are two in there." My husband just sat there totally silent, poor guy :)

27. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

20 weeks, at my first (and what was supposed to be my only) ultrasound. I had multiple midwife visits before and I always measured a little big, but we had no cause to suspect twins. However... I had been dreaming about twins since the instant I found out I was pregnant. I thought they were just dreams until the U/S tech told us there were two in there! My husband just about fell off the chair he was sitting in and I laid there in shock.

28. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

This post is awesome! I love reading all the responses and it just brings back all the little details of that day! The most fun for me was surprising everyone with the news. One of the PP's reminded me of how my conversation went when I was telling my brother. I told him about going to the new doctor and getting a surprise ultrasound and said something inane like, "and guess what???". His response was, "It's twins!" When I told him he was right he about had a heart attack out in the middle of the corn field.

My step dad had stayed home to watch our DD during the doctor's visit and when we got home he asked how the visit went. I told him we had some news to which my DH chimed in, "Yeah, we need a bigger house!" Aside from his comment, "They don't even make a stroller for three babies!" half way home, the bigger house comment was the only other thing he said after we found out we were having twins. He gradually warmed up to the fact, but I think it was well after our boys were born before he totally embraced the blessings of having twins! :)

Thanks for such a great post!

29. Buttercup1

Buttercup1 Well-Known Member

7wks, 5days... The tech said "there's two" I said,"no, that can't be" Sure enough there were two little flashing dots representing heartbeats. It was a total shock. I had had an u/s at 5wks and saw one yolk sack and no heartbeat. The u/s was at the end of the day and I had been SO WORRIED all day that there would be no heartbeat since I had 2 m/c's before this. I will never, ever forget that day.

30. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

5 Weeks, 6 Days. If was our first round back with the endocrine doctors after our 3rd miscarriage and I was nervous as all get out. Usually DH did not go with me to the appointments, but it happened to fit well with his schedule, and my nervousness. The ultra sound was scheduled for 7 am.
    When we walked in we had my "normal" ultrasound tech, but she did not usually start until 9 am. She brought us back and did the exam and went to get the doctor, the whole time with a small smirk on her face. We saw the first sac during the exam. Even before going back Dh was saying that he just "knew" that everything was going to be ok this time, and just watch it would be twins.
    So the doctor comes in and says, see there, there is the first one, there is the second one! And without missing a beat, DH asks very seriously, "where is the 3rd one?"
    The ultrasound tech told us later as soon as she saw our appointment on the schedule beside the high HcG scores she absolutely HAD to be our tech so she swapped shifts with the other tech. I was her first OBGYN patient, and her doing our u/s for confirmation was her first twin one :).
    I had been preparing him for twins since before we got married because twins does run in the family, and my family planning talk with my mom was "Well, when you get pregnant , you had better be sure, because it WILL be twins." She says now that it was to scare me, but she was correct about her prediction ;) I will use the same line on my girls, I am sure :D

31. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

32. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

10w 6d

My DH, 3 year old DS, and myself went to the u/s. It was our first one for this pregnancy. We'd been telling our DS all morning that he was going to get to see the baby that was growing in Mama's belly. He was really excited! So, we get into the room. I lay down, the tech puts the wand on my belly - and says, "Oh". So, I say, "Oh? Do you see the baby?" And she says, "There are 2." I say, "No way. Are you serious? No way!" My DH stood there in shock and then said "I need to sit down." And our poor DS just kept saying "Where's the baby? I don't see a baby!" To which my DH finally says, "Lennon, shhhh, Daddy needs to hear this." Needless to say, we were totally shocked!! What an incredible blessing! And then when we called our parents - no one believed us. I honestly was getting mad at my mom and dad b/c they kept saying, come on, how was the u/s really?

I'll never, ever, ever forget that day!! :)

33. caba

caba Banned

5w2d. We did IVF, so we knew there was a chance, since we transferred 2 embryos. Our first beta was pretty high, so we thought it might be possible. At our first u/s at 5w2d, we saw two in there. Ecstatic isn't even the right word ... the following week we saw two heartbeats, and the rest is history!

34. ladybenz

ladybenz Well-Known Member

6 weeks. I had been teasing my husband for the previous two weeks--since we found out I was pregnant--that we would be having twins. I showed him pictures on the web the night before our ultrasound so "he'd know what he was looking at"

and then when he started laughing, I knew I was right. :)

35. ginagwen

ginagwen Well-Known Member

20 weeks.

It was my 3rd pregnancy and I kept putting off going to the OB bc I was busy w/ 2 OC, plus all the OB does at 1st visit is say "Congrats you're pregnant" which I already knew.

Finally went around 13 wks and scheduled U/S.

At next appointment U/S tech was running way behind and I had to leave and pick up my OC. So I didn't get first U/S until 20 weeks.

I had felt crazy movement all over my belly before knowing it was twins and thought "this is one gymnastic baby."

I went without DH bc, you know, "been there, done that". But it was fun telling him!!