How does your church say The Lord's Prayer?

Discussion in 'General' started by jxnsmama, Jan 11, 2009.

1. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

I'm curious about how your denomination says The Lord's Prayer (These are only based on things I've said/witnessed. If you have even more to add, please do!):

What's your denomination?
    When in the service do you say it?
    Do you use a more formal version (thy, thou) or updated (you, your)?
    Do you say trespasses, debtors, sinners, or something else?
    Do you say "forever" or "forever and ever" at the end?
    Or do you stop after "evil"?
    Do you sit, stand, or kneel to say it? Do you do anything else special at that time?

I'm a United Methodist. We say the Lord's Prayer after we've shared joys and concerns and the pastor has said a prayer based on those things the congregation has brought up. We use the more formal version and say "trespasses" and "forever." We stand to say the prayer, and we hold hands, including across the aisle, or we can touch the shoulder of the person next to us.

2. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

What's your denomination? Catholic
    When in the service do you say it? It is said as part of the communion rite, before we take communion. After the congregation says "deliver us from evil" the priest says "Deliver us, Lord, from every evil, and grant us peace in our day. In your mercy keep us free from sin and protect us from all anxiety as we wait in joyful hope for the coming of our Savior, Jesus Christ." and the congregation responds "For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours, now and forever." We then offer the sign of peace and the blessing of the communion wafer and then the congregation lines up for communion.
    Do you use a more formal version (thy, thou) or updated (you, your)? Formal version.
    Do you say trespasses, debtors, sinners, or something else? trespasses
    Do you say "forever" or "forever and ever" at the end? See above.
    Or do you stop after "evil"? Above
    Do you sit, stand, or kneel to say it? Do you do anything else special at that time? We stand.

3. Jen620

Jen620 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(moski @ Jan 11 2009, 04:34 PM) [snapback]1142299[/snapback]
    When in the service do you say it? It is said as part of the communion rite, before we take communion. After the congregation says "deliver us from evil" the priest says "Deliver us, Lord, from every evil, and grant us peace in our day. In your mercy keep us free from sin and protect us from all anxiety as we wait in joyful hope for the coming of our Savior, Jesus Christ." and the congregation responds "For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours, now and forever." We then offer the sign of peace and the blessing of the communion wafer and then the congregation lines up for communion.
    Do you use a more formal version (thy, thou) or updated (you, your)? Formal version.
    Do you sit, stand, or kneel to say it? Do you do anything else special at that time? We stand.

What Maureen said.

We do sing it, and when we stand people usually hold hands with those around them.

4. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

What's your denomination? United Church of Canada
    When in the service do you say it? As part of the prayer of forgiveness after a moment of silent prayer
    Do you use a more formal version (thy, thou) or updated (you, your)? formal
    Do you say trespasses, debtors, sinners, or something else? tresspasses
    Do you say "forever" or "forever and ever" at the end? forever and ever
    Or do you stop after "evil"? keep going, I remember my first funeral in a Catholic church where all us non-Catholic people continued on
    Do you sit, stand, or kneel to say it? Do you do anything else special at that time? stand

5. niftywriter

niftywriter Well-Known Member

QUOTE(moski @ Jan 11 2009, 03:34 PM) [snapback]1142299[/snapback]

What Maureen said, but we also hold hands during the Lord's Prayer and continue to hold hands during the priest's "Deliver us, Lord, from every evil..." and at the conclusion of the Lord's Prayer ("for the Kingdom, the Power and the Glory are Yours now and forever") we raise our clasped hands. Children love that part. :D

Immediately after this prayer and right before Communion, the priest continues on the theme of Peace:

(I'll cut and paste as it is easier)

Priest: Lord Jesus Christ, you said to your apostles: I leave you peace, my peace I give you. Look not on our sins, but on the faith of your Church, and grant us the peace and unity of your kingdom where you live for ever and ever.
    All: Amen.

Priest: The Peace of the Lord be with you always.
    All: And also with you.

Deacon or Priest: Let us offer each other a sign of peace.

...and everyone in the congregation, including the priest, shakes hands with his or her neighbors and wishes them peace. Children love this part of the Mass, too! :D

6. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

I'm LDS and we don't say the Lord's Prayer. We have very very few set prayers and that's not one of them. :) Interesting topic!

7. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

What's your denomination? Lutheran (Missouri Synod)
    When in the service do you say it? After the prayers
    Do you use a more formal version (thy, thou) or updated (you, your)? Formal
    Do you say trespasses, debtors, sinners, or something else? Trespasses when spoken, debtors when sung
    Do you say "forever" or "forever and ever" at the end? Forever and ever
    Or do you stop after "evil"? No and I always have to remind myself to stop when at Mass with the ILs
    Do you sit, stand, or kneel to say it? Stand
    Do you do anything else special at that time? No, but we do alternate between singing it (non-Communion weeks) and saying it (during Communion). But it is a very important part of the service and said every week along with one of the Creeds.

8. BounceTigger

BounceTigger Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Nifty @ Jan 11 2009, 05:40 PM) [snapback]1142337[/snapback]
    What Maureen said, but we also hold hands during the Lord's Prayer and continue to hold hands during the priest's "Deliver us, Lord, from every evil..." and at the conclusion of the Lord's Prayer ("for the Kingdom, the Power and the Glory are Yours now and forever") we raise our clasped hands. Children love that part. :D

Immediately after this prayer and right before Communion, the priest continues on the theme of Peace:

(I'll cut and paste as it is easier)

Priest: Lord Jesus Christ, you said to your apostles: I leave you peace, my peace I give you. Look not on our sins, but on the faith of your Church, and grant us the peace and unity of your kingdom where you live for ever and ever.
    All: Amen.

Priest: The Peace of the Lord be with you always.
    All: And also with you.

Deacon or Priest: Let us offer each other a sign of peace.

...and everyone in the congregation, including the priest, shakes hands with his or her neighbors and wishes them peace. Children love this part of the Mass, too! :D

Ditto all of this (I'm Roman Catholic) And I was an alter server (the PC term for alter boys, since I'm a girl :) ) and the other servers and I would be kneeling at the side of the alter prior to the prayer, and would usually join the priest at the alter and hold hands with him during it.

9. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

I'm Baptist and we don't say the Lord's Prayer as part of our services. We don't say any formal prayers, but rather just speak what is on our hearts at that time. We also don't have prayers that the entire congregation speaks together. Our congregational prayers are one person praying out loud for the entire group while we bow our heads. Although, many people will say "Amen" or "Yes, Lord" or something like that during the prayer to voice their agreement.

I do have the Lord's Prayer memorized, because it as a perfect example that Christ gave to us to show how we should pray and it is great to study. I have said it as a group before, just not at church (our band said it before every performance). I also believe you can pray wherever you are. I do kneel to pray sometimes, but not always. No different when I'm saying the Lord's Prayer.

Since I use the KJV, I say "thou," "debtors," and "forever."

10. jxnsmama

Interesting topic!

Thanks! I was getting ready for church this morning, listening to a Lutheran broadcast on the radio. (It was very interesting, by the way, talking about how much less we would value money if we didn't have others' wealth to compare our own to.) The host ended the broadcast with the Lord's Prayer, and he said "forever and ever" at the end. My mom's whole side of the family is Lutheran, so I've heard it said that way many times, and it just got me to thinking. :)

11. a1cbrandy

a1cbrandy Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Stacy A. @ Jan 11 2009, 06:40 PM) [snapback]1142427[/snapback]
    I'm Baptist and we don't say the Lord's Prayer as part of our services. We don't say any formal prayers, but rather just speak what is on our hearts at that time. We also don't have prayers that the entire congregation speaks together. Our congregational prayers are one person praying out loud for the entire group while we bow our heads. Although, many people will say "Amen" or "Yes, Lord" or something like that during the prayer to voice their agreement.

I do have the Lord's Prayer memorized, because it as a perfect example that Christ gave to us to show how we should pray and it is great to study. I have said it as a group before, just not at church (our band said it before every performance). I also believe you can pray wherever you are. I do kneel to pray sometimes, but not always. No different when I'm saying the Lord's Prayer.

I grew up Baptist and am Non-denominational now. Every church I have been a member of..does not say the Lord's Prayer during the service. SO I ditto everything that Stacy said. :)

Brandy

12. first_second_and_last

first_second_and_last Well-Known Member

I remember when I attended my first Catholic mass with DH. I'd been sitting in the pew whilst everyone else was kneeling. Obviously, I stuck out like a sore thumb. I got excited when the Lord's Prayer came up because it was familiar. Well, I am a confirmed Methodist, so I kept going ....and deliver us from evil....*hush* EXCEPT FOR ME.... for thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory forever....um....um....nobody else was speaking as I looked around. Then, I just stopped and asked DH about it later. Catholics stop after evil and the priest says some other stuff.

13. missmomoftwins02

missmomoftwins02 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Her Royal Jennyness @ Jan 11 2009, 04:02 PM) [snapback]1142352[/snapback]
    I'm LDS and we don't say the Lord's Prayer. We have very very few set prayers and that's not one of them. :) Interesting topic!

Same here! And I agree it is an interesting topic!!

I have said it as a group before, just not at church (our band said it before every performance). I also believe you can pray wherever you are. I do kneel to pray sometimes, but not always. No different when I'm saying the Lord's Prayer.

I too have said it in a group setting before. And I also use the KJV...so I use the more "formal" words while praying.

14. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Stacy A. @ Jan 11 2009, 07:40 PM) [snapback]1142427[/snapback]

I ditto Stacy (and Brandy) except for the church I attend and Bible I use. I attend an AG church and I use an NIV. :) But I like how the Lords Prayer sounds when said with the KJV and other versions. I really like it said in the

NASV 'Our Father who is in heaven,
    Hallowed be Your name.
    Your kingdom come
    Your will be done,
    On earth as it is in heaven.
    Give us this day our daily bread.
    And forgive us our debts,
    as we also have forgiven our debtors.
    And do not lead us into temptation,
    but deliver us from evil.
    For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.

15. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

What's your denomination? I currently attend a Southern Baptist Church

When in the service do you say it? Whenever prompted. We don't say it every service, but probably once a month

Do you use a more formal version (thy, thou) or updated (you, your)? Formal

Do you say trespasses, debtors, sinners, or something else? "And forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors"

Do you say "forever" or "forever and ever" at the end?
    Or do you stop after "evil"? Forever and ever (which is not what Christ said, it was added much later by the church)

Do you sit, stand, or kneel to say it? Do you do anything else special at that time? Whatever we were doing when the pastor started the prayer. :) Sometimes we are standing if it is after worship, sitting if it is after communion, etc..

I attend a very different Southern Baptist church. Our pastor is actually quite liturgical. We have catechism for the 5th graders, we say the Lord's Prayer, he ends every reading with, "and may the Lord bless us from the reading if His holy and inspired word." We sing a mixture of beautiful hymns and contemporary worship. It is quite lovely actually.

It is funny you started this thread, since Scott and I decided the kids really need to learn the Lord's Prayer. (Joel knows it from school, but the others don't) So we have started saying it before dinner every night so the kids will learn it. It is to me a very important prayer to learn.

16. Mama_Kim

Nothing cuter than kids saying The Lord's Prayer. Sean would recite it with me every night before bed when he was as little as 18 months. I so wish I had that on tape! :wub:

17. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

I'm LDS, so as Jenny said we don't recite it in church, though I've heard it used as a topic for talks and lessons and such. I went to a private, Episcopal school in 6th grade, where we went to chapel Mondays & Fridays. That's when I memorized it. There we said it with formal thou, thine, etc and with "trespasses" and "those who trespass against us." I'm not sure what Bible they used, since in my KJV it has the formal language, but "debts" and "debtors." It's cemented in my head from that year though, and it always takes me a little by surprise at first when I read or hear it with "debts" or "sins" instead of "trespasses."

18. jxnsmama

it always takes me a little by surprise at first when I read or hear it with "debts" or "sins" instead of "trespasses."

I know what you mean. I was raised saying "debtors" for about 20 years, then the church changed it to "sins" -- did that for about 20 more -- and then we switched churches and now we say "trespasses." I still kind of hesitate there to make sure I'm saying the right thing!

19. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

QUOTE(moski @ Jan 11 2009, 04:34 PM) [snapback]1142299[/snapback]

Same here. I have belonged to parishes where they sing it, but it's the same.

20. valentinetwins

valentinetwins Well-Known Member

QUOTE(a1cbrandy @ Jan 12 2009, 02:15 AM) [snapback]1142527[/snapback]
    I grew up Baptist and am Non-denominational now. Every church I have been a member of..does not say the Lord's Prayer during the service. SO I ditto everything that Stacy said. :)
    Brandy

I ditto Stacy and Brandy as well. :)

I grew up a Seventh Day Adventist and still go to that Church now with my family.

21. lalalauren86

lalalauren86 Well-Known Member

Ditto ditto

I was also RAISED southern baptist ( my father is a Pastor)I can not ever remember the Lord's Prayer being recited in a church service, and believe me I have been to a ton. It was taught in Sunday school and bible study as a prayer not necessarily to be prayed, but as an example of HOW to pray or to be recited to as a comfort in times of need.

22. Mama_Kim

QUOTE(lalalauren @ Jan 17 2009, 07:54 PM) [snapback]1151346[/snapback]
    I can not ever remember the Lord's Prayer being recited in a church service, and believe me I have been to a ton.
    Seriously? Wow. That is so completely foreign to me. I am learning so much. I would have thought all Christian churches would utilize The Lord's Prayer in their services. But I come from a church with a liturgical tradition which I guess is the difference.

It wouldn't be church to me if we didn't recite The Lord's Prayer (or sing it) at some point. The same with recitation of either the Apostles' Creed or the Nicene Creed. Those are two of the high points of the service for me!

23. lalalauren86

lalalauren86 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(MamaKim @ Jan 17 2009, 07:21 PM) [snapback]1151367[/snapback]
    Seriously? Wow. That is so completely foreign to me. I am learning so much. I would have thought all Christian churches would utilize The Lord's Prayer in their services. But I come from a church with a liturgical tradition which I guess is the difference.

It wouldn't be church to me if we didn't recite The Lord's Prayer (or sing it) at some point. The same with recitation of either the Apostles' Creed or the Nicene Creed. Those are two of the high points of the service for me!

I have found, and I am just saying this from my own experience, that Baptist and non-denominational churches tend to try to stay away from anything that might be considered a "tradition" vs. "true heart felt praying" I am quoting my father here and not intending to insult anyone. As far as the Apostles creed, or Nicene Creed I have never even heard those mentioned. I would have to argue 9with Dear old dad) that no matter what prayer is said, be it written and repeated or in our own words, it's the heart and intentions of those praying that holds the meaning. Like I could babel off the the Lords Prayer all day and not mean a word, just the same as I could lead a dismissal prayer in a church service and not heartfully mean a word I said.

24. Mama_Kim

I absolutely agree with you. Praying, whether it be The Lord's Prayer or an impromptu personal prayer, is more about the heart and soul of the person praying at that moment than it is the actual words because sometimes we all find ourselves just going through the motions. Other times we really think about what we are praying no matter if it's a rote prayer or a very personal one.

25. jxnsmama

We say the Apostle's Creed maybe once a year. In fact, now that I think of it, in my current church (where I've been for 2.5 years), I've never said it!

We do both recited prayers and freer, "heartfelt" prayers, although I do believe any prayer, whether made up on the spot or recited, can be equally heartfelt -- or not. Which leads me to:

sometimes we all find ourselves just going through the motions. Other times we really think about what we are praying no matter if it's a rote prayer or a very personal one.

I thought about expanding this topic to include that: when you say the Lord's Prayer, are you always thinking of and meaning every word? Is it totally authentic?

I admit there used to be times I'd be thinking about my grocery list or the dirty dishes in the sink instead of the meaning of the words I was saying. I now try really hard to be committed to the words I am saying and to make a connection to God in that moment.

26. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

QUOTE(lalalauren @ Jan 17 2009, 06:54 PM) [snapback]1151346[/snapback]
    Ditto ditto

I was also RAISED southern baptist ( my father is a Pastor)I can not ever remember the Lord's Prayer being recited in a church service, and believe me I have been to a ton. It was taught in Sunday school and bible study as a prayer not necessarily to be prayed, but as an example of HOW to pray or to be recited to as a comfort in times of need.

I was not raised SB, but am now attending one for the first time. We say the Lord's Prayer probably once a month and the Apostle's Creed a few times a year. We also do a lot of congregational written prayers. After reading some of these posts I am realizing more and more how unorthodox our pastor is! :)

27. Mum2TwinBoys

Mum2TwinBoys Well-Known Member

We attend a non-denominational church and do not recite The Lord's Prayer.

28. lleddinger

lleddinger Well-Known Member

QUOTE(first_second_and_last @ Jan 11 2009, 08:33 PM) [snapback]1142549[/snapback]
    I remember when I attended my first Catholic mass with DH. I'd been sitting in the pew whilst everyone else was kneeling. Obviously, I stuck out like a sore thumb. I got excited when the Lord's Prayer came up because it was familiar. Well, I am a confirmed Methodist, so I kept going ....and deliver us from evil....*hush* EXCEPT FOR ME.... for thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory forever....um....um....nobody else was speaking as I looked around. Then, I just stopped and asked DH about it later. Catholics stop after evil and the priest says some other stuff.

Wendy,
    I did the same thing! I'm Methodist and DH is Catholic... I was sooo embarrassed!

29. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

QUOTE(jxnsmama @ Jan 18 2009, 01:43 PM) [snapback]1151734[/snapback]
    I admit there used to be times I'd be thinking about my grocery list or the dirty dishes in the sink instead of the meaning of the words I was saying. I now try really hard to be committed to the words I am saying and to make a connection to God in that moment.

I think this is an easy thing to fall into. Even at home, kneeling by my bed. I try really hard to take a minute before praying, to think of what else is going on right now, and then stop thinking about it before I stop to pray. That way I don't kneel down and get 10 seconds into my prayer and think, "Oh, I wanted to put the crockpot on" or "I forgot to straighten the living room and so&so is coming in the morning" or whatever. On the other hand, if I were to have a thought like "Go check on Sabrina" I would stop my prayer and go make sure she was ok. When I was single, I spent time praying outloud which really seemed to help me commit to my prayers, making them more heartfelt. My mind didn't wander the same way when I was actually saying them outloud (but that wasn't a memorized prayer). Now that DH is usually there when I'm praying, for some reason it seems weird to say them outloud, though sometimes I sort of whisper them. Maybe I should make a SO thread, about what people do to help their prayers feel more meaningful.

30. Christel

Christel Well-Known Member

non denominational with a pentecostal slant. We don't use the Lord's prayer as written in our services either. We have always been taught that it is the guideline for our own prayers, so those follow the same format as the Lord's prayer, but are not exactly the same.

31. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't know if anyone's seen the commerical for the Prayer Cross. Its a cubic zirconia cross with the Lord's Prayer in the middle. Its supposed to be AMAZING! The Lord's Prayer that shows up is the version that ends at evil.

https://www.prayercross.com/ver4/index.asp?refcode=pc04