How do you guys handle birthdays as your twins get older?

Discussion in 'General' started by snicker1045, Feb 1, 2014.

1. snicker1045

snicker1045 Member

How do you guys handle birthdays as your twins get older? Mine will be 3 in April, and I really wanted to do a pirates and princesses themed party... But my littles want Spider-Man and Ariel! The only problem is how do you coordinate two totally different themes into one party? Thanks!

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would do two small cakes one with Spiderman and Ariel and I would get red and blue plates, napkins, streamers and balloons.  I don't know if you are having a friend party or a family party but if you are doing favors, you can have them with some Ariel items and some Spiderman items.  

I'm not very creative, I am sure someone has something much better in mind then I do.  We've been fortunate that we've been able to keep our party theme similar...up until this year.  My DD wanted a minion cake and my son wanted Cars...so we ordered a minion cake from the bakery and put some matchbox cars on it.  But my son was happy with minion cups, plates and balloons.

3. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have 2 girls.  But they are very different kids.   Usually we have the parties out of the house, so the place supplies the paper goods.  The only thing that we have had to do with the theme is the cake.  I have done 2 cakes.  When costco used to let you pick the filling and frosting, each girl would pick their favorites and how they wanted it to be decorated.

I would show them what you had in mind, and what picks what they want.  Go with what they want.  Very few people remember what the themes of a party are after the party end.

4. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

This year will probably be our first non coordinating party as well.  My girl wants angry birds, and my boy wants my little pony.  I always make them two cakes anyways.  I'll buy 1 pack of angry birds cups, plates and napkins, and one pack of my little pony cups, plates and napkins.  Then solid colors for the rest of the adult cups, for the silverware and the table cloth.  And a mixture of colors for the balloons.

I'm not too concerned about it being matchy matchy.  They are two kids with two very different personalities.  They just happen to share a birthday ;)

1 person likes this.
  5. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

We had our first non coordinated party this year.  It was just family so 10 of us.  We had lastic table covers for both themes (dinosaurs and pirates).  One on one half of the table and the other on the other half of the table.  The plates/napkins were themed so we just put out half and half on the corresponding sides of the table.  Each boy got to sit at his side of the table with a special cup and straw.  They each had their own cake.   They were happy.   

The themes don't have to match.. .kids don't care.  They just know they got what they wanted for their special day which they have to share. 

6. kim01

kim01 Well-Known Member

We have always done two different themes. I just decorate the kitchen table and bay window etc half of one and half of the other. I put 2 table clothes just half on half and the other half on the other side. I also buy the stuff -cups,napkins, goody bags etc in each childs theme. I then in the living room, do balloons colors of both themes. They each got pinatas in their theme. I did the streamer in the colors of both themes. The kids that come to both parties get a goody bag from each of my boys. We play the same games.  A couple of their parties had a game just for that theme, but most we do generic games. They each pick out the kind of cake they want, which has their theme on it. Everyone gets 2 pieces.
    I have always done this from their 2nt b-day until now.

7. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I agree with everyone else! It doesn't have to match at all. And if you do favors I love the idea of putting Spider-Man and Ariel stuff in each bag... I know my girls would want both, as they are more into spider man than they are into princess stuff.

8. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

We have always had separate themes.  Up until last year, I always had two cakes with their separate themes.  Last year, I got them each a large cupcake in their theme and then just one cake that was general birthday.  I am doing the cupcake thing again this year.