How do they figure it out so quickly?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by jrg9171, Aug 2, 2011.

1. jrg9171

jrg9171 Well-Known Member

Last night DD was picking up the corner of the area rug and trying to pull the grippy pad out from under it. She would look right at DH while doing it and he told her "no". She put it right down for a second but then went right back to it again. I was watching to see at what point DH would get up and move her away from that spot and distract her with something else. So on the 3rd time of their little back and forth he got more stern with the "no". DD just smiled at him, dropped the rug and started saying "yay" (which actually sounds like "ay" but we know what she's doing) and starts clapping. I had to put my hand over my mouth so she would not see me laughing! DH smiled back at her and just told her that her cuteness wasn't going to work on him. YEAH RIGHT! He immediately went to Facebook to post about her cute little thing she did! After I got over laughing I just praised her and told her that was a good girl for finally listening to Daddy. But geez, how do you stay stern with them? How on earth do they know how to "work it" so well at such a young age? I always just remove them, tell them that "this" (whatever "this" may be) is ok for them to play with and that the other is not but there was no way I could not laugh at that last night. It was almost like she was telling DH she had him figured out!

2. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

Haha it sounds funny. I am impressed that you're saying she's able to clap at 9 months. My babies are 11 months today and they aren't clapping yet. They love it if we clap or if we take their hands and clap them for them, they smile and they enjoy it, but they aren't doing it by themselves... I am trying to teach them, I wonder if they are just lazy or if it's something to worry about.

3. jrg9171

I would not think it's anything to worry about. Each baby develops at their own pace and neither of my teenagers did any of this at this age. DD has actually been clapping for a couple months now, been waving bye bye and babbling ma ma, dada and nana since 6 months. DS JUST started doing those things. He showed no interest in even trying forever and then one day he just started clapping on his own and now when we cheer for them they both clap. Bye bye was was a lot of work for him but he finally got it. The babbling just finally came on its own. My older two are 13 and 16 and we constantly have a string of teens in our house all summer long. The babies are being interacted with almost all day long except when sleeping. My guess is that has been an influence. My 16 year old son has girls come by all the time just to see and play with the babies. He even tries to take them walking at the mall to pick up chick's. I won't let him do that but he still asks!

4. monica77

Nice, that explains it a bit, I am more relieved, we don't have that many people coming in and out other than close friends and family. Your baby girl sounds impressive. You are funny about your older son, you would LOL but my brother - who is 30 and single was using our babies for the same reason this summer when he visited us, and he's always posting their pictures on Facebook to impress everyone with them :). But it's true, there's something about twin babies that fascinates people :).

5. jrg9171

Haha I wouldn't object to my brother using them to pick up women but I'm just not ready for that with my DS. He's still my baby to me! We were at the mall and couple months ago and DH and older DD were out in the mall while I was in a store. Total stranger walks up and asks DD if the twins were her babies. She was so stunned and just responded with "I'm only 13! They are my brother and sister! " The person just apologized and said that she looked 17 and left. When she told me about it she was like 17? Even then heck no! If there's one thing that having older ones has been good for with new babies is that after helping with these two DD swears she's not having kids until she's at least 30! I just silently thank god. Lol. Maybe, just maybe, she will make some smart choices through high school.

6. monica77

I totally understand you, it's kind of sad that people would think it's normal for a 17 year old to have babies also. I hope your older son helps with the babies too, I think it is good for them to KNOW what having a baby really means.