How did you?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by ECUBitzy, Oct 16, 2013.

1. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

How did you announce that you are having twins to your friends and family?

2. southernmommy

southernmommy Well-Known Member

I posted an ultra sound pic on FB.  Most people got that Baby A and Baby B meant twins right away.

3. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

When I didn't know it was twins and was telling DH, I told him I was going to have some pickles and ice cream (he was reading the mail) and he just said "thats gross"  I said "Yeah but I hear its what pregnant women like".....he kept reading the mail.....I was wondering if I was going to have to repeat myself or explain when he finally looked up with a huge grin and said "REALLY??"
    To announce it was twins for my hubby, I just said are you ready to be doubly exhausted? He didn't get it because he had been in the tractor for 16hrs and said yes! So then I said no, we are going to be doubly exhausted...there's 2!!
    We did it different for everyone but for immediate family we did 2 father's day cards, the first signed baby and the second signed baby #2:)   For the aunts and great grandmas we just showed the u/s picture and it didn't register to any of them until we pointed out 2 babies:)
    My sister was pregnant so we got her a worlds greatest cousin onsie and then when she asked me when I found out (she knew we were trying) I told her "well, I found out May 9 I was pregnant but we just found out thursday it's twins"...her face was the best!!:) 

4. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I showed my mom the ultrasound pics that were labeled "Baby A" and "Baby B."  She just looked at me and said "Twins??  Really?  Twins?!" and started crying. 

They day I went to tell my Dad was kinda funny.  I was sitting there with him and my step-mom (trying to figure out how to tell my Dad that his baby girl is pregnant.. ugh!) and she was going on about when I was going to have kids and even said "Oh it would be so fun if you had a set of TWINS!"  My Dad commented "well with my family history it's entirely possible she will have twins."   (Every female my Dad can remember on his side of the family has had a set of twins.)  I said "Funny you should mention it becasue I am pregnant and it's twins."    My step-mom was in tears and my Dad chugged a beer.  Classy.  :laughing:

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I called my Mom told her because we found out after our 9 week ultrasound and she cried.  Then I called my Dad, who was really happy (but did not cry, thankfully).  We had a family party the next day, so we told DH's family then.  His sister's knew before the party.  
    My friends, I either called or e-mailed.

6. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Hubby was with me for our u/s, so were our 2 other kids, so we all found out together.  I txted my sisters and my best friend as soon as we got out to the parking lot about it.  I called my parents later that day, and dh called his parents.  Then I posted the pics on FB labelled "Baby", and "Baby B"  It took a bit for my friends to understand until they saw the double sac pic ;)

7. ECUBitzy

I called my mom from the clinic parking lot (she was at work). I said "Mom, I'm leaving my appointment now and they made me get an ultrasound. Is there anything I need to know about our family history? This is really important." She thought for a minute and said "Nope, not on my side. You'll have to contact your bio father about his. Why?? Are they worried??"

"No, mom, I am! There are TWO in there!" She screamed. It was awesome. 

Then we called my grandmas and told them that we got to hear the heartbeatS and just let it hang. They both had a delayed reaction and lots of screaming. We did the same thing to my ILs and my FIL replied "why do you two always do things the bigger and harder way??" He he.

Everybody else found out via the facebook u/s image. 

8. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

We knew it was a strong possibility after transferring two excellent grade embryos, so after leaving the u/s appt, I called my mom and just said, "Twins!" She cried and was shouting at everyone she worked with. Daddy just said, "Well, that's great!" Man of few words, lol.

9. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My parents were actually in the ultrasound room with us; the ultrasound tech invited them in (can anyone say boundary issues?) and then my mom proceeded to call all of my relatives so I never got the chance to break the news to anyone. Kris called his family from the ultra room too, and his mom told everyone on his side, so we didn't get any of that fun either.

The night before my ultrasound I was at my best friend's house getting baby stuff, and she gave me a single chariot, but she looked at me and said "I think I am going to give you the double, you look too pregnant." I totally scoffed at her, and then called her the next day and said "Can I have that double chariot after all?" and she totally started freaking out, which was hilarious because she never freaks out about anything. That was my best reaction.

10. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

I called my DD, my mom, dad and sister from the parking lot. We called his sister, father and mom later in the day. I went into work after the US and just went around to everyone's desks and says There's 2! I got mostly blank faces and the Really?!? Since I was 21 weeks, it shocked most (esp us!!!)

11. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

For Carl, I made him sit down and handed him the ultrasound, asking if he knew what he was looking at.  I was able to record his reaction.  :)

For my parents, I called my mom and was told her that I found out an old friend of mine from high school was pregnant when she posted her ultrasound on facebook.  And I added that mine looked just like it except there were two little seahorses in mine.

Carl called his parents and told his dad in just a pretty straight forward way.  His mom must have overheard though because I immediately heard her scream with excitement through the phone.  His siblings were harder.  He has 6 of them and they don't always return calls so he left several clipped messages that he had to talk to them and it was about the pregnancy.  They all called back.  ;)

For the rest of the world, I posted an ultrasound photo.  No caption, nothing.  A lot of people didn't get it at first but a couple women who have twins pointed it out.

12. MyBrokenOven

MyBrokenOven New Member

I just found out I'm having twins TODAY(!) so this is super fresh in my mind! We did IVF so we knew there was a strong possibility of twins, and I was certain from the beginning that it was at least 2. We saw the sacs and the heartbeats almost as soon as the Dr. put in the wand. 

My parents knew my ultrasound was today and were waiting impatiently for me to call. It's my dad's birthday so I called his phone (my mom was with him - she and my best friends mom are his office assistants ever since they retired from their regular jobs) and sang him this song "Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday Grandpa Dean, the number of babies is ........ 2!"  My ears are still ringing from all of their hooting and hollering! And as it turns out my dad was with a patient (he's an eye doctor) and when I called my mom and Erin's mom rushed into the office to hear the news so they were all there - with the patient, who turned out to be my third grade teacher! 

13. ECUBitzy

You might have the most awesome and witty TS name yet. Oven is working fine now, huh??! Congrats and welcome to Twinstuff!!

14. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

Welcome and congrats!!!

15. mommymauro

mommymauro Well-Known Member

i was in shock for a REALLY long time (unplanned pregnancy)  ... so i just told my mom in the Dr office parking lot and let the wild fire spread... DH just called his family... the only one i told, that was worth a small post, was my sister... her daughter was having a last minute quiet family birthday party dinner... but the evening was when my "morning" sickness  was really bad... so i called and said... "you KNOW i wouldn't miss her birthday party for anything... but at that time my morning sickness gets really bad" (she didn't even know i was pregnant)... and it took a bit and once it clicked she screamed and i said... "ya, its really bad this time because there is two in there" ... and she was speechless... i think for the first time ever in her life... she was speechless ^_^

16. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

first a little back ground.  We adopted our children.  We waited 3 years, had 3 matches (met with expectant mom who choose us to raise her baby) that ended in un-match when she changed her mind and decided to parent.  We had one reclaim.  A little boy who's mom signed relinquishment. We brought him home for 23 hours. before she changed her mind.  Our family knew about all of those situations.

After the reclaim, we decided and told our family that we would not share any more adoption news with them until it was final.  (Most states have a period of time that must pass before relinquishment is final.)  We just could not put our families through more pain, especially our moms.

We found out the expectant mom we had matched with was expecting twins when she did.  4 weeks before they were born!  (she had not had any prenatal care).  They were born in GA, 6 weeks early.  They spent one week in the NICU.  We brought them home on Jan 27th (my parents wedding anniversary which i completely forgot about).  Their relinquishmente were final on Jan 30th at 5:00pm. 

We had told one of my brothers and DH's sister because we just couldn't not tell.

At 6:00 on the 30th my brother and family went to my parents house for a visit.  We secretly made skype connection with brother and then i called my parents phone.  I said guess, who i am holding.., 'our daughter'.  It was priceless.. i got to see their faces over skype as i told them.  then my brother showed them the computer so they could see Hannah.  Then i said, 'and this is Nicholas' and DH handed me Nicholas.  We were all crying, including my brother and my dad just kept jumping up and pacing the floor.. my quiet laid back dad, couldn't sit still.  
    It was amazing, and joyous. 

We then called my other brother (10 years younger), who was just getting ready to call us to tell us they were finally going to induce his wife.  She was 2 weeks past due with their first child.  After his excitement died down he said, 'way to one up me Aim'.. LOL

DH's parents live in Holland so we did it just like that again with them, 9am their time.  It was 3am our time but we were up feeding babies anyway!  
    My MIL's comment when we called on skype were, 'are you okay you look terrible.'  LOL
    SIL got the entire thing on video.. so much fun to see it back again.

Our intent in waiting to tell was to protect them from heart ache.. but it sure turned out to be a great surprise!
    I can not imagine a warmer, more joyful welcome than what our LOs received.

17. Krystine

Krystine Well-Known Member

We let DD tell people mommy had 2 babies in her tummy but for my parents, I don't really remember anything clever just that our ultrasound went well (I have hx of recurrent miscarriages) and that we were having twins. We didn't do a public announcement till after their birth, though.

18. Kattak

Kattak New Member

for us, we phoned close family and friends after our 12 week check in - my parents knew ahead of time and so did some close friends.

For everyone else I posted on facebook 2 bottles of Prego sauce as my profile pic :D most people got that it meant I was pregnant but only a handful understood what the 2 bottles meant :D

19. riftara

riftara Member

lol Kattak, that is perfect!

DH was in the hospital parking lot bc he hates hospitals, we didn't know I was having an ultrasound, after I got back to my ER room I called him and said "both babies are doing fine" I had to repeat it for him, but he understood what I ment. 
    I called his mom and my mom with the same line "both" and then my best friend I just said, "it's twins" Her reaction was the same as mine : "Oh my god" and crying.

We will world announce with the US pic in a few weeks.

20. Thatmomwith6kids

Thatmomwith6kids New Member

We didn't find out until our 20 week ultrasound, so everyone knew we were going in to find out the gender...we even took a poll on FB to see what people thought we were having. After the u/s, whole still in shock, we called each family member, asking: "what did you think we were having?" Whatever they answered, we told them, "well, you're right!" (Our twins are b/g) After they finished cheering/congratulating us, we said, "and if you'd have said (the other gender), you'd be right too!" More cheers!

For our FB announcement, we placed our u/s profile pics for each baby side by side, and put a blue bow-tie on Baby A (boy), and a pink hair-bow on Baby B (girl)!

21. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

we weren't very creative...we found out at the 6w u/s there were 2 sacs.  I called my mom (who was in her restaurant at the time) and told her, and she told me to call my dad - called him at work and all he could say over and over was "twins...no $hit".  My IL's - I don't even remember - they weren't really thrilled we were pregnant anyway (even after years of trying).