How did you tell your DH you were pregnant?!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by spiveyplustwins, Dec 3, 2008.

1. spiveyplustwins

spiveyplustwins Well-Known Member

I LOVE hearing stories of how people tell their DH's that they were pregnant (and other family members). So I thought we could start a thread sharing the stories.

I'll go first!

I always wanted our pregnancies to be a "Surprise" - I wanted to be able to tell my husband and him to be shocked! Well we had battled for about year on whether or not we should get off of birth control. After many months of praying about we felt that in July it was time. So July 4th I took my last BC pill - because of my weird uterus issues (I have two of them! :) ) we were concerned that it might take us a while to conceive. So, neither of us were expecting to be pregnant soon. I went through one cycle and on the second month I was 1 day late and I knew that I was pregnant (I am super regular). So on September 2nd (a Sunday) I woke up early and took a test and it was positive. I knelt on the bathroom floor in tears, composed my self and climbed back in bed - FULLY AWARE THAT I WAS WITH CHILD! My husband woke up to get ready for church and I told him that I was sick and didn't want to go. (Shame on me, I know). While he was at church I made him a video of our life together and at the end was a picture of the test. When he came home I showed him the video and he had NO CLUE!!! When the picture of the test came up he lost it and wept like a baby!!! It was priceless! I am so glad he was shocked! and know we have this video to remember.

You can watch the video here

What's your story?

2. Brizzy_Twins

Brizzy_Twins Well-Known Member

i loved ur video.. it was amazing :)
    im not a mum (mother) but I am an identical twin.. we only just found out we were officially identical yesterday.. we didnt find out till now because we were 16 weeks premmie.. its great to know now for sure..

i loved the video.. congrats on ur beautiful boys! :)

3. brookbranplus2

brookbranplus2 Well-Known Member

I happened to have found out on Dh's birthday. So I wrapped up the pregnancy test as one of his presents. It was great...I'm so glad it happened the way it did! Oh and I took the test 4 days before my period was due because I was having so many symptoms and it turned bright positive right away!!! That was my first clue that I was having twins ;)

4. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

i was a day late, so i also got up early (around 5:00am) to take the test - i read that they're most accurate if you do them first thing in the morning so that's why i did it so early. anyway, it turned positive so i crawled back into bed, poked DH & whispered "we're gonna have a baby!". he grunted & replied "why'd you have to take the test so early?" and rolled over & went back to sleep. :rolleyes: then when we found out we were having twins, he was convinced for weeks that it was probably actually triplets & that they had just missed one on the ultrasound. :lol: he was terrified!

5. MonicaBaker

MonicaBaker Well-Known Member

it was actually this week last year when we found out! I cant believe how fast the past year has gone! So anyways- DH and I had been trying to over 2 years and we had done fertility treatments, so he knew when I would be testing. So I bought a clear blue easy test and after I took it we sat together and watched for the result together. When it popped up and said pregnant we both started crying! It was special to find out at the exact same time together, especially after all the negatives for two years! I will always remember that moment!

6. megan smith

megan smith Well-Known Member

We had been trying for 5 years to have a baby and I had taken up Karate and I had an afternoon lesson and on the way home I bought a test as I was feeling pretty sick all day I got home and did the test and my DH got in shortly after. I said to him we have to go to the chemist he asked me why I showed him the test and he was so excited I told him I wanted a box of tests before I was ready to celebrate I did 5 tests that all came back positive! He started teasing me that night about having twins a week later we found out we really were.

7. travellingmum

travellingmum Well-Known Member

My husband took me to Disneyland Paris to propose in 2002. He got down on one knee infront of a fountain. We decided to go there again for our son's 1st birthday in May this year. Six days before we went, I found out I was pregnant. I kept it a secret for six very long days. When we got there, I said "Let's go show Edward where mummy and daddy got engaged" (because a 12-month old would be so inteested). We sat on the edge of the fountain and told him. Edward slept, but he already knew since he was with me when I took the test. :)

8. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

nothing romantic here - we'd done IUI so I was scheduled for a beta draw anyway but I peed on the stick just to find out a day early...he was in the shower - I took the test, brushed my teeth and looked at it and lo and behold it had 2 lines!!!

I just stuck the stick through the shower curtain and screamed "WE DID IT"!!!!

9. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

LOL here. I was so discouraged talking with our fertility clinic and on my last leg with the whole process, that I had DH take all of the calls. The nurse called him and told him I was pg the day of my blood draw. He was out of town, so he turned around and called me right away!

10. Neumsy

Neumsy Well-Known Member

Whats funny is that my hubby told *me* I was pregnant. We got married in May of this year (after being together for ages) and always knew we wanted to try for *a* (*aaaaaaa*, as in SINGLE...lol) baby together. I was afraid it was going to take ages, as I have PCOS and have miscarried loads, so I was cruising along thinking it'd be at least a year after the wedding. (We'd stopped using BC about two weeks before the wedding.)
    We woke up the day after our wedding (at home, before we'd even left for our honeymoon), and he was *SO* serious faced..he said "Becky, we got pregnant last night." I kept laughing and going, "Oh, we did not..." but he was insistent.

And....he was right.

When I did the test about 8 weeks later, he was not surprised to say the least, and he told me that he'd had a dream two weeks before that it was going to be twin girls. I assumed he was teasing me, and I kept telling him "Steffen, stop teasing me about twins, it's not something to joke about!" and he finally gave me his "I mean business" face and said "Honey I'm not joking." We got our scan at 16 weeks, and whattya know. He was right again-twins. I nearly died, you guys. At 20 weeks we found out it was girls and he was right on the third count. So, I officially believe everything he tells me now! :D

11. Twinnylou

Twinnylou Well-Known Member

I think we both kinda knew that i was pregnant but it was still a surprise for both of us as i had only been off the pill for 1 week when i fell pregnant(though i didnt find out i was pregnant till around 10 weeks)! I did 3 pregnancy test the first one was negative, the second one was inconclusive (wtf) and the 3rd was positive. I remember phoning him at work after i found out and saying right i had the test results back and i am pregnant to which he replied oh right ok and hung up the phone! Think he was in a little bit of shock! He was even more in shock when we found out it was twins. I have never seen him go so many shades of white! xx

12. christie76

christie76 Well-Known Member

My husband was away for work. I took a test the day he came home and left it on the sink in the bathroom. I told him on the phone that I didn't take the test. I told him that I didn't think I was pregnant. He believed me. He came home and took forever to go into the bathroom. I finally asked him to get me a band-aid for a cut I had. I swear he was home for 2 hours before he went in there. It was killing me. He was totally surprised and excited. I can't believe that was over a year ago already.

13. twinnerbee

twinnerbee Well-Known Member

Wanna talk romance...I sent my DH a text message! We were both at work when I got the call from the nurse (we did IUI so I went for a beta test that morning). She left me a message saying the test was VERY positive so I tried like crazy to get in touch with DH, but he gets terrible reception in his building. I couldn't wait to tell him so I just sent him a text message...it's positive! I know I should have waited to tell him in person, but we both had waited so long (TTC for a year after a miscarriage) that I just couldn't hold it in!

Can I just add...text messages were key in this pregnancy. I was doing injectables when DH found out he had to go away for a weekend for his job...and it ended up being the day I would ovulate. We almost decided to skip that cycle, but since I had already given myself the shots, the doctor said we could do IUI (we had been trying the old fashioned way since the problems were all my PCOS). So my DH left a little piece of himself behind when he left for his business trip...and we text messaged each other the whole time I was in the office, even right after the IUI. Do you believe that's the one that stuck? We are always so amazed that we actually talked about skipping the cycle that brought us our little miracles.

14. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

With the twins, I gave him a congratulations card but my official blood draw (due to IVF) was the next day. So, then when the nurse called I called him up and told him the news. I had always dreamt of some fancy way of telling but since we did IVF, he'd be asking anyway. dh actually got mad at me because I didn't test with him present. :(

WIth Evan, it was a shock! Even for me! He didn't know I tested. I kept trying to think of how to tell him and finally wrapped the test up in a paper towel and gave it to my dd to give to him. He opened it up and then looked at me and said "You're pregnant?"

Nothing romantic or funny about either one..

15. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I left dh a voicemail and said I have some great news! He called back and said You are preganant! That was pretty much it!
    Now telling him it was twins was a little funnier-I went in for a sonogram that the OB ordered and I thought it was because I had mc previously but it was because my levels were super high-I went to that sono by myself and just about fell off the table-went to my car and cried and was actually kind of scared to tell dh. He had just had sinus surgery the day before and was misreble to say the least. I went home and he said how did it go? and I just said fine.
    Later that day we were driving home from his doctor appt. and he was feeling a little better so I asked him if he wanted to see the U/S picture-he just stared at it...and I said Yup-there are two! He smiled and said that is great! I started crying because again I was scared-he hugged me at the stop light and said it is going to be great! And it is!

Your video is so sweet-how very thoughtful of you and what a great thing to have for memories!

16. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

we got pregnant on the very first ovulation, which was something of a surprise to both of us. we figured we'd have to try for a few months before having any success because everyone else we know went through that scenario and we figured that was what was normal.

i took a test because i was planning on cooking something that used unpasteurized cheese and i just wanted to be sure it was still safe. i totally expected a negative result but it came up positive. i took another one and it came up positive, too. so i walked into the office in complete shock, held out the stick and said, "um......."

and that's how i told him! :lol:

as far as finding out we were having twins, we found out at the same time. we went to the first doctor's appointment at 8 1/2 weeks and they did an ultrasound. the tech brought up the image and said, "there you go." DH was holding my hand and i could feel him go rigid. he saw the two sacs and had an, "oh my god" moment. i was slower to understand so i said, "well i see the baby, but what's that other thing?" the tech said, "that's your other baby." DH and i stared at each other, then at the monitor, then at each other again, and then we both started laughing hysterically. we couldn't stop laughing for the rest of the appointment, and only calmed down once we got into the car. we drove for a few minutes in quiet, and then DH spoke up and said, "okay but two babies is enough."

17. Carefulove

Carefulove Well-Known Member

We got married in May-02, stopped taking the pill on July-4-02 and tried for 6 long months with no results. I made an appt to a fertility Dr and on my first appt he did an u/s since my period was missing for 2 months already. They didn't tell me anything (but printed a few pics of the u/s), had me pee on a stick and did a blood test. After a few mins the nurse came and told me that I was pregnant, and I kept saying to her that it was not truth LOL
    When I was finally convinced, I left the office, sat in the car and called DH. I told him to start thinking of a baby name, he was in la la land and was asking me Why? :rolleyes: So I told him he was going to be a Daddy!
    Three wks after, I went for a second U/S (my mom was with me and saw that was twins even before the tech told me), again, once I left the office, I called him and asked him if he had already thoguht of a baby name, he asked me Why (again LOL) and I told him that he needed to think of two names this time. It took him a few mins to get it, but then he dropped the phone and started screaming (at work) It's twins, I'm having twins! there I was like an idiot waiting for him to pick up the phone!

18. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Add us to the IVF list, so the element of surprise was somewhat gone. However, I took an HPT on Feb 19th(President's Day, a Monday) and dh was working late because it was tax season. I had an appt with the endocrinologist in the afternoon. I felt off that day. I was shaky, hungry, and burping! my beta was in two days. DH did NOT want me to test, as I had in the cycles prior and they were all bfn. Anyways...

I ran into Stop and Shop the grocery store because I HAD to get something to eat, as well as a pregnancy test. I got devil dogs(???) and ate one on my way home. Well, I hated it. It did nothing for me! Took the test at 5:30pm. I went back and was SHOCKED to see it was positive! I ran out to the stores-I got a mug for dh as well as a "Baby's First Halloween" bib. I put the stick in the mug, and wrapped up the bib/outfit. He came home around 8pm and I handed it to him. He was shocked-and confused! He looks at me and goes, "You're pregnant?" I shook my head furiously YES! And he then goes, "HOW DO YOU KNOW?!?!?!" LMAO! Men! We then went out to dinner after. We found out it was twins at our first u/s on March 12.

This pregnancy, I took a test with him home. I was so excited I saw lines, I ran to him crying. In the end, it was the faintest of FAINT lines. But, it was a line. I spent three days peeing on sticks until my beta proved it was positive(well, plus the digital test!). We did an FET with this pregnancy.

As for telling the family...we made a video for our parents and had them over for dinner(this current pregnancy). We told them it was the boys first year(they turned one the week later, but we already had their bday party). At the end we had the boys in Big Brother shirts and said Baby C was coming June 2009! They screamed and cried!

As for the REST of the family... This is how we are telling them...
    http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t256/me...asCardMeg72.jpg

19. spiveyplustwins

spiveyplustwins Well-Known Member

20. cmccarthy

cmccarthy Well-Known Member

We did Clomid so my DH figured the test was coming but since we had lost the 3 previous pregnancies and had a whole lot of BFNs over the years, we didn't expect anything of it. Especially since it was supposed to be our last shot before giving up! Kind of just our way of saying we tried everything we possibly could to get pregnant. It was supposed to be our "Letting Go and Moving On" cycle! LMAO

I got up at around 5am having to pee really bad. I decided to test even though it was a few days early. I watched the test and thought I saw a faint line come up. It got a little darker. I popped my head out of the bathroom and looked at DH (who had gotten up to start his day) with a huge grin and popped my head back in and shut the door. DH knowing something was weird, since I don't normally behave this way in the morning, came and knocked on the door. He asked, "Is everything ok?" I said, "I don't know." He said, "Well, what's going on?" I said, "Are you ready for an emotional rollercoaster as our final cycle?" His reply was, "I like the rollercoaster ride, maybe this time we will make it all the way to the end of the ride."

He finally opened the door and gave me a huge smile and a really big, warm hug and we laughed (I cried a bit). He made a comment about fertility drugs causing twins and I laughed and said, "We will be lucky to actually get ONE baby out of this, never mind TWO!"

I was an emotional wreck for the next 2 weeks thinking I would lose the baby at any moment. We went in for an ultrasound at 6 weeks and when they said, "TWINS!" my DH jumped up and screamed, "I KNEW IT! I TOLD YOU SO! You were too 'crazy' for it to just be one! I have a really great feeling about this!" He then sent a picture text to our parents. I was still on the table! I was afraid to tell anyone we were pregnant, much less that it was twins. I was just so scared of losing both of them now...

I can honestly say that my DH thought it was just the coolest thing to be having twins. I thought he would be scared but he wasn't. He was so overjoyed! He told everyone we saw. In the grocery store, in WalMart, in the OB's office too! LMAO

21. eechy

eechy Well-Known Member

This was my second IVF after 4 yrs of trying and my RE had pretty much told me I had no chance, so I wasn't expecting good news. (We'd already paid for it, but were pretty much assuming we'd have to move on to donor eggs.) A cycle buddy of mine had taken a positive pee stick a few days before our scheduled beta, and hers was positive. She convinced me to take one. Since it was before my DH was home from work I figured I could pee on it, cry a little and he could live in ignorant bliss for a few more days. Of course he got home mid-pee, so I shoved it behind the toilet and went out to pretend like nothing was going on. While he was changing I went in to throw it away and as I looked at it, I realized that there was a 2nd line! I went in blubbering to him and since I was shaking the stick so much he couldn't see the line, so of course he thought I was crying because it was negative. It took a few minutes before we pulled it together and got to jump around doing some happy crying.

22. twinmuffin

twinmuffin Well-Known Member

OK, this might be TMI so read with care...

I had just suffered a loss... and had waited for one cycle before we started trying again. I figured that was all it would take, so when I was a day late for my next cycle I peed on the stick and it came back negative :(. Hmm, oh well, figured we'd try again the next month, so we went out to party. I figured I had 2 weeks before I ovulated again, and what better time to drink!!!! So we went out drinking til very late in the evening, woke up the next morning... and DTD, but the weird thing is my breasts started leaking. DH looked at me and said, "I think you are pregnant" Went and peed on the stick again and sure enough I was. Called my ob freaked out about the drinks I had had, and she said not to worry, you didn't know any better "the baby" would be fine. 2 weeks later figured out it was twins.

23. ca2pa2005

ca2pa2005 Well-Known Member

My DH knew before me! I was on my last of three IVF cycles (only the last one resulted in anything to transfer but that is a whole different store). I waited to test until DH was home, I had a feeling it was going to be negative so I wanted to have emotional support on hand. It was Thursday morning three days before my official blood test. I pee'd on the stick and left in on the counter, left the room and started the timer. When it was ready to check I made him look. Being the joker he is he went into the bathroom and shut the door so I couldn't follow him in. Thru the door he asked me what he was looking for. I told him two lines. Thru the door he said sorry there isn't two lines very seriously so I believed him until he opened the door and showed me the test with a big smile on his face.

24. Emily@Home

Emily@Home Well-Known Member

I came home from some classes I was taking and took a test because 6 weeks earlier, a friend of mine had asked, "Are you pregnant?" And I thought she was nuts because we weren't even trying to have a baby. I was working on a Masters degree, and I would be finished a year and half later. I had been under some stress from final exams that semester, and I figured the stress had caused me to miss a period. . . which was totally normal for me. But I was starting to feel *weird*, *weirder* and then *weirdest*. I didn't mention to DH that I might be pregnant. I just kept putting off taking a test waiting for my period to start.

So I took the test, and it came out positive. I sat on the floor in the bathroom in disbelief and a little scared. . . prayed immediately that God would give us what we needed to be the kind of parents He wanted us to be. I was excited too but also a little scared to tell my DH because he was still in a very selfish mode. About that time, the phone rang and it was my DH calling to tell me he had locked himself out of his vehicle (which was running) at a park 30 minutes across town where he had been running with a co-worker. Could I come pick him up?

Such irony here. Just two weeks earlier, I'd locked myself out of my car at the Target and had to call him to come help. He chewed me out and made me cry. Haha, plus looking back, I realized I was particularly sensitive that day because of my pregnancy hormones! So here I was driving across town to bail him out of his trouble and trying to figure out how I was going to share the good news with him.

When I got there, he was expecting me to chew him out, but instead, I was very calm. I unlocked the door for him and all, and then I told him I wanted to go for a walk in the park. We walked and he thought I was acting weird, I'm sure. I spotted a nice place next to the lake and told him I wanted to go sit by the lake. Once we sat down, I said, "There's something I need to tell you. . ."

He said, "Oh yeah?"
    And then I got all choked up and couldn't talk! I started to cry!
    He said, "Are you okay?"
    I nodded yes, and then he looked me in the eye and said, "Are we going to have a baby?"
    And I cried harder and nodded yes again.
    He looked stunned but happy at the same time, hugged me and said it was great news!
    Then he said, "That's why you didn't treat me as bad as I treated you when you locked yourself out of your car. . ."

So that's how I told him the first time. Nothing fancy.
    The second time, we were out in the front yard and he started talking about getting a family dog. I told him that it wasn't a good idea since I was expecting another baby. He was mad at me for the way I told him, haha!

The third time, he had just been to the urologist because we thought his crazy mountain biking might be causing him some problems, haha. . . when he came in from his day, I was in the kitchen working, and he said, "Well, the urologist wants me to come in next week and leave a sample. I've never done anything like that, and quite frankly I'm uncomfortable with it."
    I laughed outloud and handed him a little gift I'd wrapped that was sitting in the kitchen cabinet (where he never goes). He unwrapped it and it was one of those Willow Creek (?) figures with a Daddy holding a baby in his lap. He looked at me like I was stupid. I said, "Don't you get it? You don't have to go back to the urologist. You're working just fine!"

With the twins, I just pretty much stated the outcome of a pregnancy test I'd taken right before bed. I climbed into bed and told him, and we were thrilled. I remember more the moment last year right at Christmas time when we had the Ultrasound that showed two little babies in there. That was something else.

25. sharerc

sharerc Well-Known Member

Mine were IVF as well so there wasn't much for element of surprise. Plus I refused to POAS before my beta and I went to my beta a day late because I just knew I wasn't pregnant. I had even refused to do the PIO shot the night before because I was so certain I wasn't pregnant. Anyway, my mom spent the day with me. We went in at 8 for the beta and then shopped, had pedicures and lunch. I got the call when we were having lunch and everyone around me was thinking WTH is wrong with this lady. I was sobbing. So much that my mom thought it didn't work and was crying too. Then I told her I was pregnant and she started yelling. The waitress again was like WTF so we told all the people around us. LOL. Then I just called DH and told him. Boring I know but he was expecting the call. We were both at the first U/S when we found out we were having twins. Aside from the birth of DD, that was one of the best days of my life. The day of the beta was BY FAR the hardest day of my life. It was torture and I'd never want to relive it again even though it ended so well.

26. lisaessman@verizon.net

[email protected] Well-Known Member

Molly, thanks for starting this. Your video was beautiful. (BTW, how long is church? How did you do it so quickly?)

I got goose bumps again and again reading everyone's stories.

The twins were a total surprise for us, as we had been finished with our three girls. We were getting ready to go camping and I was commenting to my dh that I was late and would probably get it right as we pulled into our campsite. He convinced me to take a test since I was a week late. No symptoms though. The next morning he was already at work and I took a dollar store test that was under the sink for at least a year. It was positive and I was positively terrified. I called him crying. Ugh... this is the worst story on this thread... I also called him crying when I found out it was twins. He kept telling me to shut up cuz he was so shocked and scared. Yep, real romantics here! :unknw:

27. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

We finally decided we'd like to have another baby (older DS was 2 months away from turning 3) - we had the hardest time making up our minds - we felt so blessed to have such a happy, healthy little boy - we were scared to have more! So mid-May we decided to "go for it". I totally did not expect to get pg right away, though we did with our older DS, so I should have expected it. About 4 days before AF was due I started having the same symptoms I'd had when pg with older DS (dizzy, very sore boobs, etc.) and I told my DH that I thought I was pg. He said there is No Way you are pg the first month, heck the first time, we tried. There is no way. And I kept saying I know that would be crazy - but I really think I am. We couldn't take the suspense much longer - took the HPT 3 days before AF was due and sure enough it was +!! I was upstairs watching the line - and as soon as it appeared, I ran downstairs and just blurted it out - "It's POSITIVE!!". He smiled really big and said, "You're kidding?" ! I think we were both in a happy state of shock! :) Little did we know that the REAL shock was yet to come! ;)

28. cottoncandysky

cottoncandysky Well-Known Member

i had a funny feeling i was cuz my boobs hurt, so the day before my period i took the test and it was positive. i told dh as soon as he came into the room. i was really upset cuz we were only engaged at the time (my parents dont believe in pre-marital sex so i was scared to disappoint them) but he was very calm about it. he never gets overly excited, angry, etc..just very even toned all the time. we found out the day before thanksgiving it was twins and THAT was awesome and the way it will probably feel the next time we get pregnant cuz there wont be any stress of doing something we shouldnt have. we had gone to the hospital at 8 weeks expecting to be told i had a miscarriage (alot of spotting), and when the tech did the u/s she turned the screen and says, whats that look like to you? lol i was a million emotions all at once.
    all your stories are so sweet! gave me goosebumps too!

29. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I thought I had the flu. I had not been feeling well for a few days. It was a Monday in May, I was at work and I could barely keep my head up (usually a sure sign of the flu for me). Finally, I asked my boss if I could go home because I felt terrible. Drove home, told DH that I was feeling crappy and took a two hour nap. I woke up and I felt like a new person and definitely knew it was not the flu. I realized, since we were trying to get pregnant that perhaps I should try to take a pregnancy test. I always have been a little slow on the uptake :)
    I was not expecting a positive, I took one and it was positive. I ran down the stairs and told DH to close his eyes (he was doing dishes in the kitchen). I put the test in his hand and told him to open them. He looked at it and teared up and just said softly, "Oh my God." About a month later, we found it we were having twins.

30. Rach28

Rach28 Well-Known Member

We did IVF so the element of surprise wasn´t so big. However, it was our first IVF cycle and we had transferred 2 embryos.

I suspected I might be pg due to being ravenous all day and really thirsty but didn´t say much to DH. I wasn´t going to test but I had an HPT in my drawer, from the early days of TTC, that was calling my name every day. 2 days before my beta I gave in and POAS but it came out negative. Surpsingly, I was upbeat about the result - I just knew it was wrong - but DH was sad. I told him not to worry.

The night before my beta he asked me if I thought I was pg and I said I thought I was but wanted him to be prepared just incase it was a BFN.

DH and I took the morning off work to wait for the phone call. The clinic had told us the results would take 2 hours or so. We had our mobiles and landline phone all lined up on the table in the lounge. DH was watching a rugby match on the TV (unusual for him!) and I was eating toast reading a magazine. We had agreed that DH would take the call as I was just too nervous. Suddenly, after less than an hour after my beta, my mobile rang and we both froze. It was the clinic. He picked it up after what seemed like an eternity and we got the good news. I burst into tears and wasn´t able to talk to the doctor for a few moments. DH couldnt speak for 10 minutes - I will never forget his face!!! :)

We immediately called family and close friends that had known about our fertility struggle and everyone was soooo happy. One friend, in Britain, let out such a loud scream of delight that her boss went running! :rotflmbo:

31. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

We had been going through fertility treatments for a year and ttc on our own for a year before that so DH was fully aware of when I was ovulating and when my cycle would start. After our first IVF attempt we decided to POAS on 10/6/2007 because that was the anniversary of my dad's death even though I wasn't scheduled for a beta for 5 more days. We figured maybe we could make October 6th a positive day again.

I crawled out of bed, POAS, and then crawled back into bed. DH woke up an hour later, came in the bedroom and said "Isn't two lines good". I never shot out of bed so quick. It was our first BFP ever. He ran up to the drug store bought three different pregnancy tests and they were all blaring positives. We say that my Dad sent some good vibes down from heaven that day.

We told our family the IVF was unsuccessful and then after the 1st US three weeks later we told them we were pregnant with twins after we saw the two sacs and two flickering heartbeats.

DH still laughs to this day about that morning. He says he has never seen me get up so quickly in the morning.

32. I suspected we might be pregnant and took a test at home, it was positive but I didn't say anything. Drove directly to the lab since I had an old requisition for a pregnancy test that I hadn't used (long story), got the call at work that it was positive. I went home, took out my coloured markers and when my husband came home and went upstairs to change out of his suit there was a sign on the mirror that said: "Welcome Home Daddy, Love Junior, ETA: Summer 2008". He came downstairs, still in his suit and asked what does this mean? I confirmed the obvious and we hugged! He was happy and shocked.

A few weeks later I had an ultrasound to date the pregnancy and he was allowed to be in the room. He could see the screen and I couldn't. He was very quiet through the whole thing, and at the end of it the tech turned to him and asked "So, do you know what's going on?", he said "Yes, I think so", and then she turned the screen to me to show two little heartbeats. So he knew before me!

thanks to all for sharing their stories!

33. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

Well, we found out together. I kind of suspected it but didn't want to get my hopes up as we had been trying for about a year. I bought a test and did it one morning before work. We sat on the bed together until it was time to look at it and it was positive! We thought about waiting until my first appointment to tell family but couldn't hold it in so we waited until the next weekend and had both of our parents go out to dinner with us. It just happened to be the same weekend as grandparent's day so we bought them "happy grandparent's day" cards and wrote "yes, it's what you think!" on the inside. We found out it was twins at my first appointment and DH was with me so we found that out together as well.