How did you react when you found out it was twins?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by lharrison1, Jun 17, 2013.

1. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Were you shocked, were you excited, were you scared?

I kind of had a feeling in hindsight...I was taking clomid and when I finally got a BFP I called my OB as instructed, they had me come in for blood testing and then called back the next day wanting me to come in for a sonogram. I thought well maybe since I had recently miscarried they were just being careful.
    My husband had just had sinus surgery so I went to the u/s by myself. When the tech said 'hmmmmm, how would you feel about twins?' I got dizzy and cold and clammy and said 'I dont really know how I feel about that right now, I kind of need a minute'. LOL...Anyway, I went out to my car with my little photo and cried-tears of joy, fear and confusion. I called my sister first and said 'how do I tell Seth?' (my dh) and she said 'wait until he gets the packing out of his nose before you tell him anything'. Then I called my mom and said 'how am I going to do this???' and she said 'we'll be here to help you'.
    When I got home my poor unsuspecting husband asked how the sono went and I clammed up!! I just said 'fine!...everything is fine!' Later that day I took him to his ENT appointment and on the way home I said 'do you want to see the picture?' and after a while of staring at it trying figure out what he was seeing I said 'yeah, there is two' LOL!! Then I started crying and we pulled over and hugged and he said everything was going to be great. Of course it wasnt ALL great but mostly it was and I cherish that memory.

Okay your turn!! Share how it all went down:)

2. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

My first doctor's appointment was at 9 weeks. My husband didn't bother coming because I knew there wouldn't be an ultrasound. I had a successful appointment and to my surprise, my doctor asked me if I wanted an ultrasound at the end. At that time, my sister had miscarried just one week earlier. I told the doctor that it would really ease my mind if I could SEE that everything was OK. She showed me one perfectly round sac with a perfect baby inside. Then she turned the screen away and said "Hmmmmm, yep, there are two! You are having twins!" I was pretty much in shock and I am sure I laughed and smiled a lot, but it was a nervous reaction! I was freaking out. Of course she gave me a picture to show my husband and typed "Hi Dad" by each baby. I did make it through the appointment, but cried when I got to the car. Happy, worried, nervous, scared, excited... all of it came out. But mostly HAPPY!

When I got home, my husband asked how the appointment went. I said fine and showed him the picture. He looked at it a minute trying to figure out what the heck he was looking at. He even said "Ha, Hi Dad, Hi dad... that's cute!" Then he said disappointedly... "so, no twins, huh?!?!?" I couldn't believe he even asked that! I said that there WERE twins and he was incredibly excited. He said he was wishing for twins!

Something interesting happened before my appointment. Like I said, my sister miscarried early on and I was really nervous about my pregnancy. Even though I had already taken a pregnancy test and KNEW I was pregnant, I decided to take another test... just to make sure (I'm not even sure if it works that way, but I digress). When I took the test (First Response), only the first "pregnant" line came up, not the second "control" line. Of course I was freaked out even more. I went to the store to buy more tests. SAME think happened. I took to the internet to find an answer and most of what I read said that it was a bad test. I just had a hard time believing that I had gotten two batches of bad tests, 5 in total. I did come up on a post buried somewhere that said it means you are pregnant with twins. Because your hormones are so elevated, all the dye in the test strip is used up on the "pregnant" line and there was none left for the "control" line. This sounded very fake to me and I dismissed it right away. And as it turned out, it was twins! I wonder if it is really true! I tried it with my subsequent single pregnancies, and two lines both times. Eh, who knows!

1 person likes this.
  3. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I started a new job in November of 2008- I remember the economy was so bad that month that I joked I was the only person hired in the country that month- people were getting laid off and fired left and right. I felt so fortunate to get a job as I'd been jobless for about 6 months and I was doing something really rewarding: helping process Medicaid payments for kids with disabilities. We must really have celebrated because within a month I was pregnant. I had jury duty early in January and had felt sick enough the week before to go home lay on couch and eat salt ended and peanut butter. I felt ok at the trial but at the end of the week I wanted a rare drink and took a pregnancy test. It was positive.

A few weeks later I needed maternity pants at 7 weeks pregnant which was weird. I started having unexplained bleeding and since I'd previously had a miscarriage my doc sent me to the hospital for an ultrasound. I was nervous but felt oddly serene- I remember on the way feeling like everything was going to be alright. I went in for a transvaginal u/s and asked after 10 minutes why is it so cold in here? The tech said she was pregnant and the cold helped her be less nauseous. After a minute she asks, "Did you know you are having twins?" Ben and I responded at the same time "No!!!" It was so relieving and the u/s lady was so happy b/c she was worried we were miscarrying.

Personally, I felt like a huge puzzle piece just fit into place. I had always been fascinated with twins. DH? He was shocked and dazed. His first remarks were pretty funny and profane.

4. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Interesting! When I took a test with the boys it was supposed to take 3 minutes. My line appeared before I was done flushing, I'm not kidding!

5. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

That's funny because that's how it was with Vivi but with Livie and Sophie it took several minutes and it wasn't the sharp contrast even though I'm pretty sure I tested later. *shrug*

6. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We knew our chance of twins was increased, we were using lupron and gonal-f shots, with trigger shot and IUI. I had had back to back miscarriages a couple months earlier, so when I got my bfp at 10 days past trigger I was ecstatic! DH said he immediately knew it was twins, he just knew. My bloodwork came back fairly high, but it had been fairly high with my daughter as well and she was a singleton. I was scheduled for an ultrasound shortly after 7 wks with my RE, but I had some spotting start at 6wks3days. I panicked, I was terrified i was miscarrying again, and called my RE and they got me in the next morning. We saw the first sac right off, and even got to hear the heartbeat, but the second sac looked empty. It took the tech a good 10 minutes and lots of uncomfortableness for me before she finally found the second baby, we could see a tiny fluttering heartbeat but it wasn't consistent and we couldn't hear it. So when we left the office, we were having "twins", but we had to contain our excitement. It was so early and that second baby was so hard to find, and the heartbeat was almost indistinguishable, we knew we might have a vanishing twin. So we didn't allow ourselves to get too excited until the next ultrasound, at 8wks. Two obviously growing babies, two beautiful heartbeats to hear! David kept insisting he knew, he just KNEW we were going to have twins!! All I could do was cry. After so much heartbreak, and 2 miscarriages, it just felt like God was blessing us with these two little bundles!

7. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

When I had my first appointment I wasn't even sure I was pregnant. We had only started TTC a few weeks earlier. I felt really hormonal but that was pretty much it. I remember I saw the doctor before the ultrasound and after she examined me I asked if she could tell from the exam if I was truly pregnant, and she said yes, she could tell.

My husband wasn't even with me because I didn't think there would be anything to see. It didn't occur to me that the fact my pants were already tight might indicate I was growing faster than normal.

So I had my exam, then blood work and I was so nervous I actually passed out when they drew my blood. I was shaking by the time the ultrasound started. I remember she turned on the machine and we sat there for a second and then I said "I don't see anything, is there anything in there?" And the ultrasound tech said "I see two. And both with good heartbeats" and then she played/measured both heartbeats for me. I was about 6 or 7 weeks. I think I said "oh my god" about a hundred times. I was shaking so bad and I didn't want to tell DH over the phone. I remember asking the tech if they were identical or fraternal at that first appointment and she gave me good info, that we wouldn't know until birth unless an u/s revealed they were b/g, but chances were higher they were frat.

Then when the u/s was over and I went to check out, the lady taking my payment made a comment about how did I feel about having twins and I think I was in shock, I don't remember what I said but then I remember she said something like "you're just not upset because you don't know what you're in for."

Honestly that was the first time that it occurred to me how majorly life changing this was going to be and how we had no idea what we were doing when we decided to stop using protection and see what happened. You assume you will get pregnant with a healthy singleton, or I did. I never thought there was another option in a million years.

8. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

I laughed.

I went to my first prenatal appointment alone because nothing spectacular happened for the first appointment with Vivi and Carl had just started a new job so we didn't feel it was necessary for him to take off work. Lo and behold, they took me right back to get an ultrasound. The tech put the wand up and there was this immediate pause. I was still adjusting myself to get more comfortable and hadn't looked at the screen yet. She looked at me and said "Please tell me you understand what this means." That's when I looked up. It took about 10 seconds for me to process it. That's when I said "Oh my God" and started laughing. When I was pregnant the first time, there had been some talk about how it could be twins due to family history. We hadn't even thought of the possibility the second time around.

When I got home, I couldn't keep the silly grin off my face and ended up telling our good friend who had been keeping Vivi while I was at the appointment. But by the time Carl got home I was a little more in control. I asked him to sit down, told him that I had gotten an u/s, and asked if he wanted to see a picture. When I got up to get the picture, I also grabbed our Flip. I handed him the picture and started recording. He had pretty much the same reaction as me. After a few seconds, I asked if he knew what he was looking at. When it dawned on him he said "Oh my God" and started laughing. So, yep, same exact reaction. ;)

Edited for typos

9. twinmom2dana

twinmom2dana Well-Known Member

The first time I found out it was twins I, like a lot of us, went to my first appointment with The Hubs as it was just my 8 wk and routine. The only "suspicion" I had was the fact that my clothing was already starting to be snug and I complained to my mom about it. It was then that my dad informed me that it was twins. He said it more than once and I would always say "whatever Daddy" So we get to the ultrasound and I'm telling my O/B how it only took a month after we stopped the pill to get pregnant and that DH must have some strong sperm, he turns the screen and says "You got that right!" they were frats so very clearly two. My first words were "My Dad said it was twins" then I said "Dana is at basketball" When he plays at the gym his phone is in his bag so I couldn't call him, just waited til he got home. When I told my Dad, he just cried. When I told DH he said..."I'm gonna take a shower" He needed to process it all.
    The second time, again I went alone to the 8 wk appt. we were a little in shock because we were on the pill when I conceived. As soon as the pic popped up, I flashed back and was more like O..M..G, AGAIN? When I got home and told The Hubs, he said "The doctor told us if you get pregnant, it would be two again" I was like "yeah but who really KNOWS that 100%!" Sadly as you all may know we lost Baby B-Jacob, but you best believe when I got pregnant again this time, with IUD, I made sure to have them check for twins!

10. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

It was definitely a shock for me. I was on birth control at the time so I wasn't planning on having one baby, let alone two.

I went in for my first appt around 10 weeks and they gave me a referral to have an ultrasound done at an imaging place. I went in for that at about 12 weeks. I was laying on the table, my husband at the time was sitting reading the paper. The woman put the thingie on my stomach, then said "Do twins run in your family?" I didn't know anything and just said yes, they do. A half second later she said "Were you taking any fertility drugs?" At that point my ex-husband dropped the paper and said "Uuuuhmm are we doing a head count here?" and the woman just said "There's two!" I just laughed, I was so shocked. My ex husband was thrilled, he told everyone in the front office of the place, everyone in the waiting room. I just wanted to go home and cry honestly.

The woman had printed out four pictures, two of each and labeled 'baby a, baby b'. So I went to show them to my mom I had it folded in half. She looked at the first two and started crying then said "why does this say baby a?" I told her to flip it over and she kept saying "twins? really? twins?" And she cried harder. When I told my Dad it was twins, he chugged a beer. :laughing:

11. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

I was on the pill after ten years of depo (my doctor had concerns about whether I was ovulating anymore and wanted me on regular BC for a year or so before we would ttc). I'd gone on my annual girls' weekend and come back with tender boobs. Paul kept saying, "because you're pregnant" and I kept laughing it off. I finally took a pregnancy test (with my best friend! Not even with Paul!) and got the instant positive. Like Michelle said, I'd barely even flushed when the word showed up!

I went in for my confirmation appointment a few weeks later and they said I was getting a dating u/s since we had no idea how far along I was. The tech (she was a doll, I loved her throughout my pregnancy) got everything up on the screen and said she needed a second opinion. Paul and I were watching the screen and couldn't see any reason for a second opinion, but it didn't occur to us to be nervous. The second tech came in and immediately said, "oh, your first set of twins!" Not only was it our first set (and only!) but it was our tech's first discovery, too. She was jumping up and down and Paul and I just laughed and repeated "oh, sh!t. Oh, sh!t."

We went out into the parking lot and called my mom at work. I said, "mom, I had something really interesting come up at this appointment so I need to ask you about family history. Please be honest with me." (I probably scared her to death) "Do we have a family history of twins?" She freaked OUT. It was amazing. :) When I called my grandparents and when we went to tell Paul's folks we said, "It was great! We got an ultrasound and got to hear the heartbeats." Then we just waited for the understanding to register.

I am so emotional just thinking about it all again! It was such a magical moment in our life.

1 person likes this.
  12. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

I went for my gender ultrasound at 21 weeks. The tech started the ultrasound and said Ummm how many we're you hoping for? I said one. He said, Well there's 2....both boys. My DH said Oh my god. I left the office crying. We went to my car and called everyone: my mom screamed, my dad said Huh? And my sister swore Shut the f up! Lol. We both then went to work.....needless to say it wasn't a very productive day!

13. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

We transferred 2 embryos when we did IVF so we were not shocked when the ultrasound came back as twins in 2004.

Fast forward to 2007. I had gotten pregnant without any help from the doctor at the end of July. At my 6 week appt. the doctor felt my stomach and guessed I was further along than I suspected. (I am regular so I doubted it.) She scheduled a dating ultrasound for the following week. We told the tech that we had twins at home. She did the outside ultrasound and then did the wand. With the wand she showed us baby A & baby B. I was so freaked out! How were we going to manage twins again! :shok: One was measuring a week behind and had a lower heartrate. We did end up losing one. We did go out to eat afterwards and my hands were shaking!

14. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

I went for my first pregnancy appintment alone around 8 weeks. I had been told this appointment would be pretty long and boring so DH did not take time off from work. But then my doctor decided to do a quick ultrasound and I lay there watching the screen and knew immediately what I was seeing when I saw those two tiny heartbeats each in its own sweet rhythm and I just could not stop crying and laughing at the same time. I am usually pretty unemotional in public but this was just one overwhelming rush of emotions - joyful, thankful and fearful emotions. But the fear was only for the babies and their health, I never imagined how hard it might be or feared that we might not manage two babies at once.

After the appointment I called my DH and told him everything was fine, but no more. I just could not do it over the phone. When I showed him the U/S pictures that evening he did not get it and I ended up telling him that the pictures showed two babies. The news did not sink in for many days, the number of babies seemed irrelevant to him.

15. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

We did IVF and knew we'd put in two embryos. I think we were both kind of hoping for twins (so different from this time around!). So it was still surprising and we were shell shocked at the reality. I remember we went window shopping for baby stuff right after because we couldn't go back to work yet.

16. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

we did Follistim with a trigger shot and IUI - when we went for the last u/s prior to the trigger, I had at LEAST 16 eggs (8 on each ovary - the Follistim made me pop like a friggin chicken!) so after the trigger shot I thought I was dying from cramps - we did the IUI and went on with our lives for the next 14 days - at about day 10 I felt a pulling and tugging so I was fairly certain it had worked...

fast forward to my first appointment with the RE at 6w3d and the RE did the trans vag u/s and pointed out the 2 sacs...Tony was with me, and I started to cry and said "twins?" and he started jumping up and down and yelling "twins!!!" - then he started to cry, I was still crying and the RE was even crying!

my mother screamed, my dad was like no sh!t! and my IL's - well they didn't even congratulate us...

17. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I do ultrasounds of the heart (NOT babies!) so when I got pregnant (with clomid) my coworker and I were searching for heartbeats before I told anyone. So she says "it doesn't look like mine did" and of course i immediately panic and she says "I'll tell you what I think it is but I don't know....I think there's 2". I felt like someone sat on my chest!!! We printed a pic and took it over to the u/s girls who the next day scanned me on the side and found 2 heartbeats!
    I told DH the day that we thought it was twins after he spent 16hrs in the field planting. I said "are you ready to see double" and he thought I said are you seeing double and he said yeah I'm so tired. So I said "no we're going to be seeing double". He just kissed me, laughed, and took his boots off. I still hadn't taken a full breath in LOL

I'm probably the first person to go to the OB office suspecting twins with an u/s pic as proof;)

18. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My mom is a twin and I was over 35 when I conceived - but we always thought we'd get twins when we tried for #2.

I had an appointment at 7 weeks 5 days (the peri wouldn't see me any earlier because she wanted to make sure there was a HB). She was a new dr (my primary care dr confirmed the pregnancy, but she isn't an OB|GYN, so I got a new dr) - so we sat down in her office for a "consult." I remember saying I was high risk because I was "old" and she looked at me like an idiot.

So we went into the exam room - Jason was laughing about the condoms they use for the vaginal u/s. She came back, stuck it in and I was pretty sure I saw two. I don't remember much. I think I put my head in my hands and said "I want my mommy." She said "well, now you are high risk, I'll see you in two weeks to discuss diet, etc. you seem overwhelmed." She said they were probably di/di and printed us a bunch of pictures. Jason was so stunned, he thought they were all different pictures, so he sent the same picture like three times.

I couldn't drive home, I called my mom and said "we heard the heartbeats."

It was actually 7 years ago last week. I still look at them sometimes and I can't believe it.

Jason and I walked around in a fog that night.

The next day we had a tour for a day care and I thought Jason was going to pass out multiplying the cost by 2!

19. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

This is why I went to my car and cried!! LOL!

20. Krystine

Krystine Well-Known Member

We weren't overly surprised since I was much sicker and more fatigued than I was with any singleton pregnancy. Also we had been hoping and praying for twins. So when we found out at 10 weeks (DH and DD were in the u/s room with me) I squeezed DH's hand. I was so happy and he wasn't really shocked. I spent the first week after we found out barely able to sleep because I couldn't get over that there were two babies inside of me! (I still think that in my 3rd tri). We did have a lot of family doubt us when we told them which I didn't understand. Why would we lie or joke that we were PG with twins? We had 3 miscarriages between DD and this pregnancy so it's all been stressful and scary but we are hopeful and excited to welcome two sweet babies into our home.

21. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

My then husband was military so he was not home when I went for my scan. I'd tried to tell my obgyn several times it was twins but he didn't believe me. We have lots and lots of twins in our family (girls are 17 out of 20 known sets in 4 generations). My grandma and mom went with me. When the tech who had twins herself said here's girl a and here's girl b we just laughed hysterically. I did end up going on bed rest right then because of issues with Jess but that's another story