Honey listed as an ingredient in bread

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by marcymiller, Jul 21, 2009.

1. marcymiller

marcymiller Well-Known Member

I've been giving my girls toast cubes w/bfast lately. I just noticed that the bread has honey as an ingredient. Do I need to stop feeding it to them and buy different bread? Any input appreciated! tia!!

2. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I always thought honey was fine at 12 months anyway? But as far as I know, processed honey is fine either way.

3. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

That's my understanding too. I put a bit of honey on my girls toast sometimes. They love it.

4. marcymiller

marcymiller Well-Known Member

Thanks for your responses!! I've been so busy trying to get settled in after moving, figuring out a new area, and trying to keep up w/the girls on a daily basis... I haven't had much time to figure these things out yet... even though I'm sure I've read about honey a million times... Thanks again!!

5. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

After a year is fine. I remember calling my Pedi about the same question though before they were a year old. They told me that honey in anything cooked/baked was fine. It was the raw honey that they wanted us to stay away from before a year.

6. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yup, honey should be fine after 12 months. I always understood that raw honey was issue before 12 months as well.

7. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

If you look at the scientific research on honey, you will find that there is not a single verifiable study done since 1978 that shows any problem AT ALL with honey for even tiny babies. Back in the late 70s about 20 babies died from unknown causes (all over the US) and the only thing that they all potentially had in common was eating raw honey. But it was only 9 or 10 of the babies that actually had honey. Honey became the big scapegoat because one of the parents still had the honey jar and it contained botulism, a very serious toxin.

So, 30 years later we are all told by our pediatricians, child raising books, our parents, our friends, the Internet, etc. that honey isn't safe before 12 months old. But since 1978, no botulism has been found in honey.

Just thought I'd mention that...

8. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

I didn't give mine honey until close to 12months, at the advice of my ped! He said the same thing as PP, he has NEVER, EVER seen a case of a child getting sick from having honey. Now, I give it to my kids regularly, especially when they have a cough (works well for us to help with coughs if we give them a small teaspoon!).

9. Maymay

Maymay Well-Known Member

Wow! Thanks for posting! I had no idea where the honey thing came from. That definitely makes me feel better about giving it to them.

10. Rach28

Rach28 Well-Known Member

After 12 months is fine. However, I actually gave DD some honey mixed in with water when she was about 4-5 months old (she wouldn´t drink her formula & I was trying to find out why!) and she was fine.

11. JessyN

JessyN Well-Known Member

There can be different ingredients in such product like bread. Modern recipes become more and more difficult. Just check some bakery shop and try their goods!

12. SabrinaKeep1

SabrinaKeep1 Well-Known Member

Hello. Totally agree with you. There are a lot of different recipes with different ingredients, so nothing unusual. You just need to check this information in description on the label. I also like different bakery products and often buy such goods in my favorite bakery shop Edelweiss - https://www.edelweissbakeryfl.com/ it their website. You can check all products there.

13. Sarach

Sarach Active Member

Be sure to try Germanic bread! I tried it for the first time a month ago, I ordered it for review. And you know, I didn’t regret what I ordered. Because before that I used to eat banana bread, but this one stole my heart. If you become interested, visit this site edelweiss bakery where you can order without any problems. I think you should like it, my family also tried it and said - EXCELLENT!