Home School thru the School District

Discussion in 'General' started by rheamay, Aug 26, 2008.

1. rheamay

rheamay Well-Known Member

I live in a town that has a new program that supports home school. It's called Mt. Valley Academy and it's k-12. It gives you the option of having classroom time twice a week or not at all. It seems like it would be very supported...especially for someone new to the HS arena.

I was just wondering if anyone used a similar program and how it was working for you. My oldest will start Kindergarten next year and I'm still trying to decide if I want to go the HS route or not.

THanks!

2. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

I would seriously consider researching this type of schooling more. In reality it is more like PS but you are the teacher. They typically provide the curriculum you are required to use and set dates in which you must submit work. If it takes your son longer to "get" a concept you may have problems meeting deadlines. I would see if you can find any parents using this program and ask them how they like it, but wait until Feb/Mar since you say it is new. What seems great at the beginning of the year might be a terror by the end. Don't completely write them off yet, but definitely explore the option throughoughly before committing to anything.

3. rheamay

rheamay Well-Known Member

QUOTE(jenn- @ Aug 26 2008, 06:11 PM) [snapback]949015[/snapback]
    I would see if you can find any parents using this program and ask them how they like it, but wait until Feb/Mar since you say it is new.

It's new...but it may have been operating last year...I'll see what I can find out. :)

4. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

I've mainly read about this being available out in CA and FL. I think the main advantages are the free-curriculum supplies. But the main disadvantages are the same thing... the curriculum supplies. Part of the beauty of homeschooling is having the freedom and flexibility to choose what works best for your child and for your own beliefs/philosophy. So if the public school system curriculum gels with your beliefs (not only spiritual but also educational) and your kids' needs then it could be a fine fit for you. I'd try to investigate it first and evaluate for yourself whether or not you think it'll work for your kids. (and you too!)

5. Aurie

Aurie Well-Known Member

From the message boards I have been on, people either really love these programs or hate them. Our first year HSing we used www.k12.com We didn't have it available through the state here, so I wasn't held to a strict time schedule. However, we still found it very stressful to get "everything" done. It was great curriculum, but just a TON of stuff. Being that I had to pay for it and it wasn't a perfect fit, we didn't do it again the next year. Would I do it again? YES, if it were free.

With anything HSing, it is a life time of trial and error. What works for you, may not work for your child. What works for one child, may not work for the next. Would I try it? If it will make your first year more comfortable for you in your confidence to do it, then go for it. If it doesn't work for your family, choose a different route next year. Good luck!

6. mel_michigan

mel_michigan Well-Known Member

Many will tell you this isn't homeschooling because you register with your school district and they tell you what to teach, sounds a lot like public school at home to me. :) These programs and the virtual academies that are popping up with K12 in many states are a big topic on many national boards because your child is registered in the school district, they have control over what is taught, and they recieve goverment money for that student. One parents was speechless when she got a letter requesting shot records on her child, she's required to produce records for her child ike every other public school student. They say it's the public school of the future, that if rates continue, there will be more students in public school through a virtual school than in a physical building. I would also ask to review the materials prior because many complaints are that the materials are often lacking. Best wishes.

7. Laura in Alaska

Laura in Alaska Well-Known Member

My DS is enrolled through the district. Ours is a charter school set up for homeschooling families and it is extremely flexible. You can pretty much do whatever you want, as long as the kid reaches all of the district graduation requirements. I could choose to use a boxed curriculum, an online class or make up my own from books I've found and internet resources and the real world. If I don't want to use the standard curriculum (which I never do) then I fill out an Independent Learning Profile form for each class he's going to take, how many credits it will be worth (or how many hours), what resources we plan to use, what he'll need to do for a grade and how I plan to grade him. I can give him a letter grade, pass/fail, whatever i want. Then I fill out a requisition form for the materials and they order them for me. If I want to, I can pay for them and be reimbursed. They'll also reimburse for music lessons, swimming lessons, admission to the museum, etc. They keep all of the necessary records of his classes, grades, transcript etc. He'll graduate with a diploma just like every other kid and he can choose to do the walk with the cap and gown or not. I've been super happy with it...and the $2500 annual budget for supplies is really nice too!

8. lola5

lola5 Well-Known Member

Home schooling through the school district offers unique opportunities for tailored education, similar to the personalized approach taken by Kindermusik customer service in their programs. This method of schooling allows for flexibility and adaptation to each child's learning style, much like how Kindermusik addresses individual musical and developmental needs. It's a great way to ensure that education is not one-size-fits-all but rather customized to benefit each student. Such approaches in education and customer service alike show the value of understanding and meeting specific needs.