High Blood Pressure

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by ward, Jun 22, 2012.

1. ward

ward Well-Known Member

Only about 12 weeks along and I am having very high blood pressure. Now i had it before with both my pregnancies but never this early it always started around 27 weeks. Has anyone else delt with high bp this early? Was your doctor able to prescribe you anything to keep it low besides bed rest. There is no way i can do that right now. I am still working and wanted to work up until almost the very end. UGH im so frustrated i had to go home early yesterday and today from work because my bp got so high it started to make me sick.

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I went into my pregnancy on medications for hypertension and continued it throughout with a change in dosage only. I think it was Methyldopa? You really should call your doctor as soon as possible though.

3. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

Me too. That is what I took as well....but that said having high BP before pregnancy is a different ball of wax than only having it during pregnancy.

My BP was stable (high, but stable- normal for me) until right before I delivered. I took the meds before/during and after pregnancy. Mine only went up right before delivery and that was likely due to high stress of an emergency C/lots of PTL meds/lack of sleep from being in hospital. I was closely monitored as well so that was comforting.

Talk to your Dr. as soon as you can about preeclampsia and/or possibly needed closer monitoring or medication. Preeclamsia is nothing to mess around with and can be seen fairly early with pee tests/BP monitoring. I have heard it can progress with each pregnancy, so if you had it before it makes sense that it may start earlier each time. Also it is not that far off from your last pregnancy so that may accelerate/bring back any concerns you had last time faster than if it was years ago.

You may also need to cut your work hours and/or watch for dehydration (that can spike BP! easy to fix with drinking more).

If it is high enough to make you feel ill, you need to address it ASAP.

Keep us updated! :grouphug:

4. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

me too!

5. ward

ward Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for your reply's yes it has been high enough to make me feel sick i had to leave work twice last week and then for four days in a row had a bad head ache. I have a doctors appt. today for them to monitor my bp and also doing my normal doc appt for the baby as well. I will definately bring up this medication to the doctor. Again thank you so much everyone!!! I will keep you updated. =)

6. ward

ward Well-Known Member

well i went in and my bp was through the roof like it has been for the last week so they put me on Labetalol and then i get to have my glucose test early lucky me =( they are afraid i may have gestational diabetes and would like to get it taken care of early which is fine with me.