help! bottle feeding taking TOO LONG

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by ddancerd1, Feb 22, 2008.

1. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

i am currently feeding my girls in their bouncers (either side of me). lately they've been playing around wiht their bottles. they'll grab it, put it in their mouths, take it out of their mouths, etc etc... then they'll spit it out and smile at me and giggle... so i stop feeding for a while and they are eating their hands... i know they're hungry, so why are they playing around? these feedings are starting to take forever! i try singing to them to keep them focused on me, but then all tey do is smile while i sing (and not eat). any suggestions? thanks...

2. Erica92

Erica92 Well-Known Member

don't have any suggestions, but HUGS I have been thru and go thru stages of having a similar issue! Can you try waiting till theyre REALLY REALLY hungry so that they're maybe not so playful and are more focused on eating???

good luck

3. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Might just be a stage because they are more aware of their surroundings. When my girlies got like this, I removed them from all distractions to feed them. Or it might be time to change the nipple to a faster flow?

4. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

You might want to try switching to a faster flow nipple. Right around four months we had to go up to the Level Two nipples because our girls lost interest in eating. Once we switched to the faster nipple, they settled right back down and started to eat quickly again.

5. xavier2001

xavier2001 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Leighann @ Feb 22 2008, 01:36 PM) [snapback]635858[/snapback]
    Might just be a stage because they are more aware of their surroundings. When my girlies got like this, I removed them from all distractions to feed them. Or it might be time to change the nipple to a faster flow?

We went through this stage, especially with DD. The faster flow nipple helped b/c she was able to eat quicker and get alot in before she gets distracted. As I recall it lasted about a week and now she is back to normal.

6. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

I have one boycotting the boob during the day for this reason!! She's so distraceted and cant look around with her face in my boob!! It is so frustrating I hope its just a phase.

7. EricaG

EricaG Well-Known Member

My boys do this too and I now end up swaddling them and taking them into my room on the bed in the dark and feeding them. There is just too much going on for them to just settle down and eat even though they are soo hungry

erica

8. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

Funny cuz mine are the same age as yours and doing the SAME thing! It drives me crazy!! Smiling and laughing their guts out while eating and I look at them and try to be serious but I start laughing! It's annoying!! It takes forever!

I think we'll get thru it but it certainly takes a LONG time to feed now and WhO HAS TIME???

9. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine do that too. It's really annoying sometimes! Mine will look for any distraction to escape eating. If the tv is on they will try to watch tv, if I talk to them they will start smiling and stop eating, if they have to "toot" they can't eat, if they have to use the bathroom they have to stop eating to pay attention to pooping. If one of the dogs is in the room they want to look at the dog, they want to flail their arms around, etc. I have switched to the level 2 nipples and it makes feedings go a lot faster, but sometimes they are STILL too distracted and I have to wait until they get more hungry in order for them to pay attention. It's the worst in the morning when they are so playful.

It usually works if I put the distracted baby on the ground on an activity mat and just wait until she gets hungry, it doesn't usually take very long!

10. Jhstobe@earthlink.net

[email protected] Well-Known Member

It must be the age because mine have been doing this for the past 2 weeks. DS had gotten a little better but I make sure to turn the TV off and keep the distractions to a minimum. DD will get mad and after pushing the nipple out with her tounge and smiling she gets mad. I give her a minute and then try again. When she realizes I am not giving up she starts to eat. I know how frustrating it is. I used to be able to feed them both at once and now it is much more difficult to do that. I am hoping it will pass.

11. bigeyes

bigeyes Well-Known Member

my boys take forever too. if they go past 1/2 hour i take the bottle away. makes the next feeding sometimes faster cause they are more hungry.
    GL

12. cgplanner

cgplanner Active Member

This happend with mine too around the same time, changed to the fast flow nipple and all was solved.