Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Twins

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by [email protected], Jan 18, 2010.

1. katiereinert@yahoo.com

[email protected] Active Member

Hi there,

I've been reading HSHHT in preparation for using it (my b/g twins are about 10 weeks). It seems like many of you have used this book to sleep train, and I was wondering how you used it.
    My questions:
    How old were your twins when you started using the methods, and which methods did you use at those ages?
    Did you wait until your babies were sleeping a certain number of hours at a time or stretching out their feeds at night before starting? (the reason I ask is that Weissbluth doesn't mention this.)
    Did you use the methods so that your babies would sleep through the night, or so that they would go down easier?

I welcome any information you can give. Thanks so much! Your responses are always so helpful!

2. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

My questions:
    How old were your twins when you started using the methods, and which methods did you use at those ages?
    I didn't even read the book till mine were 4 months. I chose to start working on naps at that point because I didn't feel comfortable doing cio at that age. So I worked on the naps and the timings, it helped tremendously!!!! At 6 months I did cio with the twins and because naps were already going great that it went pretty easy and only took a night or two.

Did you wait until your babies were sleeping a certain number of hours at a time or stretching out their feeds at night before starting? (the reason I ask is that Weissbluth doesn't mention this.)
    uhm I waited until mine seemed to be able to hold a schedule together. I was just so tired of chaos and having a baby up all the time that that's when I knew it was time.

Did you use the methods so that your babies would sleep through the night, or so that they would go down easier?
    I used it to help me schedule their day and get naps in order. I then used it to help them sleep through the night. Mine went down with a bottle (I know this is horrible) so going to sleep wasn't a problem but they would wake up in the middle of the night and we just let them cio.

At 10 weeks I wouldn't be doing anything, but that's just me. I fed on demand and didn't start a schedule at all until they were 4 months old. I do think it's great that you're doing your homework though.

3. dowlinal

dowlinal Well-Known Member

I read the book when the boys were newborns, but I didn't plan to CIO so at first all I took from it was to put them down sleepy, but not totally awake. Then I started to realize that my boys were overtired and one of them would cry, but then fall asleep before I could get his brother settled and get him. Suddenly CIO didn't seem so bad, so right after New Years, when the boys were 7 months odl I put them on the schedule recommended in the book. The boys get up at 6 am, nap at 9 am, nap again at 1 pm, and then go down for the night btw 6-7 pm. After 2-3 days of crying at naptime, it all just clicked and my boys are now getting a lot more sleep and it's made things a lot easier.

Did you wait until your babies were sleeping a certain number of hours at a time or stretching out their feeds at night before starting?
    When we started, one boy was generally sleeping through the night and the other one was only waking once. For me, the trigger was that their sleep was suddenly getting worse. One twin was barely napping and both wanted to nap on me while nursing.

I used it in order to get the boys to go down easier and to get them sleeping more during the day. At this point, I accept that my boys will get up during the night. As much as I would like them to sleep through, I think that Alex clearly needs to nurse in the middle of the night and Nick only wakes when he is sick.

4. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I didnt use his book as a sleep training book. I used it as a guideline for what my boys should be doing in terms of sleep and working toward that goal. I always fed mine at night if they woke. Weisbluth says that they may need to eat up until they are nine months old. I thought for sure he was joking. There was no way I was going to do that. Well, my boys finally dropped the last night feed at 8 and 9 months old. :rolleyes:

I did follow his nap rule about leaving them be for an hour (I did 45 minutes on occasion) and then would resort to letting them either take a nap or finish a nap in the swing.

I know that you are desperate for sleep and it will come. Good for you for doing some reading. :good:

5. Kateryna

Kateryna Well-Known Member

First, make sure if you do this, only do it once they are at least 4 months adjusted (4 months from their due date) otherwise we tried before and it does not work because they mentally not ready. It had been proven scientifically that babies brain is simply not capable to understand sleep training or any training at that age because the brain cells responsible for that type of comprehension are not fully formed yet. It would just be cruel.

I should mention that your baby should also be at least 13 pounds before doing this. Mine were 18lb & 17lb when we started. They really had no physical need to eat and just relied on a bottle to soothe themselves to sleep at night. Just a note, we did not do this because we simply did not feel like getting up at night. Night feeding was NOT the reason we started this. It was waking up every hour and not wanting to be inside the crib during the day at naps and not being able to fall asleep on their own without rocking. I believe that any sleep training should be used just for that - sleep. Not to phase out any feedings that your child still needs and everyone should make sure to check in with

Young babies need our cuddles, they need to feed at night, and their sleep-wake patterns are still immature. For these reasons, even researchers who advocate Ferber sleep training warn that sleep training is inappropriate for babies under 4-5 months old.

I did it juts at the end of November when they were almost 5 months ADJUSTED. I did swaddle because it helped them sleep.

DO NOT do this until your baby is 4 months adjusted because it will not work and will only traumatize your relationship.

So, here is what we did. Sometime between 4 and 6 months of age we would do a soothing bedtime routine + cuddles ;-) and then we would put babies in their crib somewhat drowsy and mellow from all the hugs and kisses and leave the room (even if they cried). We timed their crying and went in gradual intervals to soothe without picking up. Meaning, let's say your baby cries, you time 5 min and after 5 min of crying, you go in an soothe him/her without picking up, then leave. Once he/she starts to cry again, you now wait 10 min of him crying and go back in again, soothe, leave. Once he cries again, you time 5 min of crying and go in, soothe, leave. And repeat until he no longer cries.

It took us three days. Going in and out of the room for the whole 2 hours straight and soothing.

Hope this helps.

Also note: Sticking to a routine is fundamental to in this method — and to most sleep methods, but there are times — for example, if your child is sick, or you're traveling, or you have a babysitter — when you'll have to be flexible. If your baby's sleep schedule has been disrupted and he's waking up again at night, you may have to start the process all over again.

Good Luck!