Healthy or Unhealthy

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by aimeemorgan1218, Apr 7, 2010.

1. aimeemorgan1218

aimeemorgan1218 Well-Known Member

I've always thought that my twins slept more than normal and its always worried me. I'm not exactly sure why it worries me, since sleep is a good thing. (for them and me...hehe!) I guess moreso, I just want them to be 'normal and average.'

Tell me what you think. They wake up about 7:30-8 am. Go down for first nap about 10 or 10:30. Wake up ususally about noon or shortly after. They take another nap at about 2:30 or 3 pm, waking up about 4:30 or 5 pm. This last nap that I'm about to mention, can be cut out if needed and just let them stay awake a little longer and then go to bed earlier. My hubby doesn't get home from work until 8 pm or so and he likes to see the girls, obviously, so they go down to sleep again about 6:30 pm and get up about 7:30 or 8 pm. Bedtime is usually 9 or 9:30 pm.

Is this excessive sleeping? Its not that I'm forcing these naps either... they WANT this much sleep. I will say that the last week or two, if we are out and about, they do okay with less naps.

What do you think? :FIFblush:

2. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

if they want to sleep that much and are sttn then go for it!!! Mine were sleeping about 12 hrs at night at 1 yr and 2 2-hr naps = about 16 hrs a day of sleep.

Even now mine sleep a good 12 hrs at night and a 3 hr nap. I think 14-15 hrs of sleep at 2 yo isn't the norm... but ours need it.

sleeping helps them be rested to learn and grow, so keep it up.

if/when they start waking at night... that's when I cut their daytime sleep and they started sttn again.

3. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

I don't think there is such a thing as sleeping too much. I think sleep is great :laughing: Even with my 9 year old if he sleeps in I won't wake him, I think sleep helps the body grow and heal.
    It will change so enjoy it while you can!

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with Maybell and Brigette, if they are happy with the sleep that they are getting, I would not change a thing right now.

5. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

I totally agree with PPs; if it's not affecting STTN, then they're probably getting the right amount of sleep. Believe me, they'll tell you when they're ready to cut down on naps! :lol: Some kids just need more sleep; I know that Jack requires 1-2 more hours of sleep per day than Nate. I sometimes feel bad that Nate isn't getting "enough", but I give him the same opportunities for napping and night-time sleep that I give Jack, and he just doesn't sleep as much. :pardon: