Headphones for toddlers

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Specky, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

Anyone know of any good headphones for toddlers? I am traveling to Ca in May and would like to bring a DVD player but don't want to disturb anyone...are headphones ok for 2yr olds? I was thinking of the over the ear ones rather than the ear buds. I'm not sure if my kids will tolerate them or not, but thought it was worth a try.

Anyone have any other ideas to keep them occupied for SIX hours? Other than the basic food, coloring, etc...electronics? I'm going solo, so I'm nervous and excited!
    THANKS!!
    rebecca

2. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

The only ones that mine "like" to wear are daddy's and they are too big and expensive but for some reason they LOVE them. They are the big ones and what's kind of nice is they don't have to wear them as much as just have them around their neck. Good luck! You guys are going to have SOOOO much fun!!!

3. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

I think the over the ear ones are a great idea...if they will use them. We use the ear buds and they are forever falling out of their ears. The DVD player is a life saver for us while traveling. Other ideas to keep them entertained: stickers, small magna doodle boards (easy to travel with), lollipops, etc.. Also, the last long road trip we did, I made up surprise bags that were handed out at certain points along the trip. BUT...just small things wrapped up that you can hand them to unwrap every few hours.

Have a fun trip and Happy Travels!!

4. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Over the ear ones definitely. But really you could use the DVD player without and just keep the volume low. I've done it before on planes and its never bothered anyone. In fact, DH or I (whoever is sitting across the aisle at the moment), can't even hear the movies.

5. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Sony makes some over-the-head ones for kids. They're still a bit too big for my kids (even at age 5) but maybe you could duct-tape a washcloth around them or something?

At that age, mine did best with things they could fiddle with. Sarah's favorite airplane toy at 23 months was a dog collar (I bought it at Target) -- she would clip it shut, I would open it, she would close it, repeat repeat repeat! Ditto for a little clamshell travel mirror. My mom also bought her a plush Sesame Street toy that was a little boat with 3 small figures in it (Bert, Ernie, and Big Bird), and a zipper to open & close it.

I also got a lot of mileage out of a small photo album with pictures of people we knew. We looked at it together and talked about who everyone was, what they were doing in the picture, etc.

6. pinkpoonani

pinkpoonani Active Member

A friend of mine gave me this advice but I haven't tried it for myself yet. To keep a child occupied on a long trip, give them a box of bandaids with a character they like on them. They will spend hours trying to open them all and sticking them all over themselves. Sounds reasonable to me.

7. Poohbear05

Poohbear05 Well-Known Member

Go to Amazon and look up 'kids headphones' you'll get an over the ear type that is child sized. Colors are like blue and yellow..

8. Buttercup1

Buttercup1 Well-Known Member

We got some pink Sony over the ear headphones for the girls. We're flying to Florida in 3 weeks and my husband wanted them to have them so they could watch videos and listen to music to keep them occupied. We haven't really tried them out yet.

9. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Some companies make headphones especially for kids; we got these and love them. They fit my kids and even fit me too. Our pedi said not to use the ear buds with kids because they direct the sound too far down the ear canal, which is why I bought these.

In addition to movies on the plane, bring some pipe cleaners and plastic beads. At age 2 my kids were thrilled to make bracelets for HOURS on the plane. It was new, and a big treat. Stickers were a hit too.

10. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

We have ones like THIS. We have a brown bear and panda bear I believe. The kids got a kick out of them and I bought them originally for a flight down to Florida. They work well.

11. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

Definately get the over the ear headphones. As PP's have mentioned, there are headphones that are made for children as well. I buy the child size headphones that have a reduced volume capacity. Not sure exactly what the wording is on the box though, but the headphones don't allow the volume to go too high, so if your little ones get a hold of the volume button, they can't blast their eardrums.

We took our kids on a 14 hour road trip when our twins were just over 2 and my DD was 3. The DVD player was a huge help - we only use it on loooooong trips, so it's really something special for them to watch a movie in the car. When our kids were young we had a problem with them destroying the foamy covers on the headphones though. One of our boys even stuck the foam up his nose. Imagine the nice first impression my out of state family had when I used tweezers to get what I thought was a small piece of foam out of his nose, and instead the foam kept coming and coming. The boys are 5 now and we still hear about that! :)