Haven’t been on a plane for over 14 years, and in a few months we’re taking the twins on a plane, AN

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by desolation_anonymous, Apr 15, 2010.

1. desolation_anonymous

desolation_anonymous Well-Known Member

I have a personal fear of flying and haven’t been on a plane for over 14 years. But, my cousin is getting married in a few months and we are going to be taking a plane down to her wedding, AND take a rented car. Have several questions:

1) Do we need to/can we buy plane seats for the kids if they are under 2?

2) Do twin strollers need to go in baggage or do they allow them on the plane? What do you do if you don’t have a cover for your twin stroller? (Babyjogger Citi Mini)

3) Do they allow small umbrella strollers on a plane? (If so, and they don’t take twin stollers, maybe we can take 2 umbrella strollers instead?)

4) How do you handle ascent/decent for their ears?

5) Can ‘t bring fluid on the planes now, how did you handle drinks or bottles?

6) Do car rentals have their own car seats available? Will they install them for you? IF so, any suggestions on rental company?

7) How did you handle needing diapers, etc, on the plane?

8) Suggestions on the hotel room so it is child-safe?

9) Would you recommend bringing pack-and-plays or doing without (will be 19 months old)

2. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

I don't know if you can buy plane seats but you can bring your own car seats if they are FAA approved. That question is a good one to ask the airlines directly before you go.

2) Do twin strollers need to go in baggage or do they allow them on the plane? What do you do if you don’t have a cover for your twin stroller? (Babyjogger Citi Mini)
    You can bring them to the plane and they'll check it for you. You'll have the stroller for you when you get off the bplane. Umbrella strolelrs are much easier for them to pack. They may have some trouble with very alrge heavy strollers.

3) Do they allow small umbrella strollers on a plane? (If so, and they don’t take twin stollers, maybe we can take 2 umbrella strollers instead?)
    (See answer above), if you can store the umbrella stroller in the over head compartment, you might be able to, but then that would count as your carry-on and you may have other bags you'll need more than the strollers on the actual plane.

You can talk to their pedi about hat. Sucking on pacis or a bottle (if you still give them bottles) can be helpful. Drinking from a sippy might even help as well. The swollowing and sucking motion can help to regulate the pressure in their ears, but it does not always work for each individual. It can help though.

You should be able to bring your kids' drinks on there as long as it's under a certain amount. You'll have to ask the airline what they allow. Otherwise, liquids are not allowed. If your kids are on milk, the airline might serve milk on board so that might help you out there. Or they always serve water or juice.

6) Do car rentals have their own car seats available? Will they install them for you? IF so, any suggestions on rental company?
    Car rentals do have seats available, but they cannot guarantee they'll be there for you when you rent your car. Stupid if you ask me. If you want the car seats, you should be able to have a guarantee they'll be there for you.

Can't answer that. I have never traveled on a plane with my boys

You can rent cribs. Ask the hotel you wish to book if they have safety measures for kids. Some do and some don't supply that.

9) Would you recommend bringing pack-and-plays or doing without (will be 19 months old)
    If your kids can fit in them, They are great to have! Cumbersome to travel with. You could ship them first though. That can get expensive.

3. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

We travel a lot with the girls so I think I can answer all your questions, except the rental car one. We've rented minivans in the past, but never car seats.

You can buy them seats or hold them in your laps. How long is the flight?

2) Do twin strollers need to go in baggage or do they allow them on the plane? What do you do if you don't have a cover for your twin stroller? (Babyjogger Citi Mini)
    You can gate check the double stroller. You don't need a cover to gate check it, just roll it to the end of the jetway, fold it and leave it there. It will be on the jetway when you get off the plane.

I think they do fit in the overhead compartment, but with carryon baggage limits you might want to check with your airline to see if they'd make you gate check it anyway. In which case, bring the double because of the storage.

Sippy cups of water, but the last few trips we haven't had to do anything really.

You can't bring fluid thru security, but you can bring it on the plane. We fill up their sippies after we get thru security.

They probably do, but I don't know that I'd want to use them. If you are visit relatives for a wedding, can someone borrow some seats for you? Or if you are getting the boys their own seats on the plane, you could bring your own. Just make sure they say they are FAA approved (in the manual).

I packed enough diapers and wipes for 24 hours in my carry-on. I also pack extra clothes for the girls, and an extra shirt for me too.

I usually bring the plastic outlet covers, and then DH and I make a sweep of the room to make sure there is nothing super dangerous. We've unplugged floor lamps, moved furniture to block things, etc.

9) Would you recommend bringing pack-and-plays or doing without (will be 19 months old).
    See if you can reserve pnp's at the hotel. I've done that a bunch of times. Then I just bring my own sheets and blankets for them, and of course lovies.

Have fun!

4. I had to find hotels that had them and reserve them for my stay. Not an easy task. Most hotels dont have or only have one. Start calling hotel directly and ask and reserve.

5. twinsnowwhat

twinsnowwhat Well-Known Member

One thing to add - if you like your stroller I would get a bag or just bring cheap unbrella strollers. The people handling them litteraly throw them around and they get very dirty.

6. desolation_anonymous

desolation_anonymous Well-Known Member

Ok, I really don't know what to do about the car seat thing. If you take them on the plane, do you bring them to the gate or do you have to check them somehow? There is no-one we can borrow them from on that end.

7. bekkiz

bekkiz Well-Known Member

I'm in the middle of a cross country trip w/my 17 month olds right now. A few thoughts:

1) Get each of them their own seat. I know it's expensive, but I'm telling you it is worth every penny. They are used to their car seats and will sit in them at least somewhat willingly, as long as their entertained. If you hold them, they'll just want to wiggle around and get away. That being said, you are not required to buy a seat for anyone under two.

2) If you decide to have them as "lap babies" (i.e. you don't purchase a seat for the children), 95% of the time, you will not be allowed to have more than 1 per row, so you'll have to sit away from the other person traveling with you. What we did the first few times we've flown was to buy a seat for one child but have the other as a lab baby, and then we could all sit together. Car seats have to be installed in a window seat, so you would also sit apart if you have two car seats onboard.

3) If you do bring your car seats, and the babies have each have been purchased a ticket, the car seats get installed right on the plane, just like in the car. If you are bringing the kids on as lap babies, you can gate check the car seats (As well as the stroller). Although it's a pain to carry then through the airport, gate checking tends to be a bit "safer" and you're less likely to be without a car seat at the destination.

4) I'm pretty happy with what we've done the lat two flights. My husband gets on the plane with the carseats when they call for "family boarding." I push the boys around in the stroller, maybe do some last minute diaper changes etc.. and then try to be the last ones on the plane. I wheel them in the stroller to the end of the jetway, pull them out and hang on to their hands while I fold the stroller, then walk them to daddy who has the car seats already installed.

5) Some flights will have a fold out changing thing in one of the bathrooms on board---some won't (like my last flight!) Put an old towel in your diaper bag so you can lay it out across the toilet, and it's just big enough for a change. I try to avoid changing mid flight if I can, but as you know *&%* happens :ibiggrin:

6) For their ears we've tried the offering liquids thing, but they never drink. These last two flights, I found some all fruit (no added sugar) fruit snacks at Target that are good to suck/chew on. We just kept popping them into their mouths on the way up and down, and it seemed to help. We also give them Motrin about 30 minutes before flight time. You have to try and find a small bottle (less than 3 oz) to take through security.

7) Duct tape is the ultimate babyproofing travel helper. Stick it on outlets, use it to tape up curtains or close drawers. We always pack a roll to use. I don't know where you're going but there's a bunch of baby gear rental places that we've used across the country and have always been really happy. You can get gates, toys, high chairs--all sorts of things! Here's a good list http://www.thenewparentsguide.com/baby-equipment-rentals.htm

I'll see if I can think of anything else, or if you have any questions, let me know!

8. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Get them their own seats! It's more money, but worth every penny, especially if you hit turbulence. Not to be a downer, but lap children can be hurt if a plane hits bumpy air. If you buy a seat, your kids can either sit in their car seats, or in the CARES harness (if they're between 22 - 42 pounds).

Strollers are generally not allowed on planes, not even small ones. Actually, you can bring one in place of a purse, but you can't have it folded out so it's not worth bothering. You can easily gate check strollers. I've never used a cover and haven't had any problems.

Nope. Too wide for most plane aisles.

Bring sippy cups of water. Or have them eat something.

Buy milk or water once you're through security.

Yes, but they're usually gross. Why not just check your car seats at the counter with your luggage instead? Every airline we've flown on has given us bags for our seats and they came through just fine.

That's what the lovely tiny bathroom is for! But if you just have one flight, change the diapers immediately before boarding and you might be ok.

Don't allow your kids to crawl around unsupervised and you'll be fine! Actually, duct tape works wonders. You can tape over the outlets and tape low hanging wires up too.

Many hotels will rent cribs, probably worth checking out where you're staying. Or you could sleep one child with one parent in each bed.