hate fruits, love veggies

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by blink_fitz, Aug 21, 2007.

1. blink_fitz

blink_fitz Member

My girls hate fruits! I've tried bananas, pears, applesauce and prunes so far. They spit it out and make a face like "Ewwww, this is SO gross". I know they're not choking, but sometimes they'll even make gagging noises. I've tried mixing cereal into it - no go. They eat their veggies, no problem (green beans are their favorite :huh: ). I always thought babies liked fruits and weren't thrilled about veggies. What should I do? I'm worried they're not getting the nutrition they need.

2. Chillers

Chillers Well-Known Member

At this time, they're not really getting that much of their nutrition from solids, it's more about practice, different flavors and texture, etc.

So I'd just keep trying! I think I read somewhere that it takes at least 10 if not more exposures of a new food before a baby really knows if they like it or not.

What I tend to do with my girls is just give them a few bites of the flavor they're not sure of and sneak in a few bites here and there with something they do like.

3. becky5

becky5 Guest

Maybe you could start mixing a little fruit into the veggies, and get them used to the sweetness of them slowly.

4. mandyfish3

mandyfish3 Well-Known Member

I could have written that post! Green beans are my girls favorite too and htey HATE fruits! I was so excited because I thought they'd love them. Nope! We are just goign to keep on trying.

5. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

What a predicament! ;)

I would also try to mix the fruit in to the veggies slowly and perhaps try some sweeter veggies like sweet potato.

6. shannonfilteau

shannonfilteau Well-Known Member

I thought it was the other way around; Hate veggies and love fruit...? The fruits are so sweet maybe mix it with the veggies and keep trying. They are not getting all their nutrition from the foods right now anyway so I wouldn't worry too much.

7. blink_fitz

blink_fitz Member

Thanks everyone. I know, I shouldn't be worried. My girls love veggies - oh, the horror :D I called my ped's office about this, and they said solids are only for practice right now, so don't stress.
    My DH is the type to order the weirdest thing on the menu (he's a big fan of liver and onions), so maybe my girls take after him in the taste bud department :lol:

8. jessapendry

jessapendry Well-Known Member

WOW! My girls are the same! THey LOVE Veggies! The only way I've gotten them to eat fruit is by mixing it in w/cereal. I thought this was so weird. I'm glad I was wrong!

9. Megos99

Megos99 Well-Known Member

My twins are just the complete opposite. They love all their fruits. They will eat all the orange veggies, but the green ones forget it!! I can sneak in some bites of green beans until they realize, then they start pushing it all back out.. I tried peas yesterday and both of them gagged and about puked them back out at me... I guess Ill stick with the orange veggies.. I can at least get them to eat the mixed veggies.