Haircut ? for those who have boys w/ curly hair...

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Faith00, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Faith00

Faith00 Well-Known Member

I have one w/ really curly hair and the other w/ wavy to straight hair. My boys ar 13 mos today...wow! Anyway, Grayson needs a haircut, he's got the straighter hair and it really needs trimmed up. Ian, my curly head, has tons of hair but I personall don't want to cut it until Spring, just to see what happens w/ it. Well, everyone always thinks Ian is a girl because he has so much hair (but it's not on his shoulders it's just everywhere). Anyway, I was speaking to my DMIL today and I can tell by her comments that she thinks I need to cut Ian's hair. She said, "you know everyone will keep calling him a girl w/ his hair like that." UGGGH. They are coming to visit this weekend and I was hoping to take her w/ me to get Grayson's haircut, but now I'm thinking no.
    Any suggestions on haircuts on boys w/ curly hair?? How long before you first haircuts?
    Thanks for the input.

Faith

2. Faith00

Faith00 Well-Known Member

I have one w/ really curly hair and the other w/ wavy to straight hair. My boys ar 13 mos today...wow! Anyway, Grayson needs a haircut, he's got the straighter hair and it really needs trimmed up. Ian, my curly head, has tons of hair but I personall don't want to cut it until Spring, just to see what happens w/ it. Well, everyone always thinks Ian is a girl because he has so much hair (but it's not on his shoulders it's just everywhere). Anyway, I was speaking to my DMIL today and I can tell by her comments that she thinks I need to cut Ian's hair. She said, "you know everyone will keep calling him a girl w/ his hair like that." UGGGH. They are coming to visit this weekend and I was hoping to take her w/ me to get Grayson's haircut, but now I'm thinking no.
    Any suggestions on haircuts on boys w/ curly hair?? How long before you first haircuts?
    Thanks for the input.

Faith

3. mamabrooks

mamabrooks Well-Known Member

Justin's hair is very very curly and thick and i had to have it cut by thier 1st b-day. with that being said i chose to have it cut very short but in a very pleasing style for a 2 year old. it is shaved on the sides with a little longer on top. everyone says it looks good on him.

4. 1girltwinboyz

1girltwinboyz Well-Known Member

LMAO my MIL was the same way!! Both boys hair is curly but Z's is thick and J's is fine. It was getting really long but like you I did not want to cut the curls. But it was TIME. I let MIL cut it and she did and awesome job with two squirmy 20 month olds. They looked SO MUCH BETTER. And like little boys instead of girls [​IMG]

5. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

NO NO!! DON'T CUT IT, it sounds so cute.

Just get the other one cut before she arrives and not too short so there's not a major difference..

Just my opinion, sorry ladies above, I have two girls with very straight hair haha..

good luck keep us posted..

6. firemedic

firemedic Well-Known Member

Ethan's is the same way. I had to get it cut around 16 months and it will need it again soon. I think it is cute but dh doesn't. At least I have the say about Emma's hair.

7. SandyKay

SandyKay Well-Known Member

My Daniel had/still has really curly hair. He was 18 mo. old when I had it cut for the first time. I loved his curls and it was hard for me to have it done. It was just ringlets everywhere and I was getting the girl comments alot. His is the kind that you do not dare comb it after it is dry or it will puff up like an afro. [​IMG]
    Anyway, I had it cut basicly short all over and he was still adorable. I kept some of the curls in an envelope and put them in his baby book that I kept for him. His curls grew back into the ringlets until he was about 4 years old when it got thicker and didn't make the ringlets anymore. He still has really curly hair and keeps it reasonably short on his own. I might wait just a little longer if I were you, and then save some of the curls.

8. MommyofThreeBoys

MommyofThreeBoys Well-Known Member

My boys are 16 months and have really curly hair....I just trimmed it for the first time by myself the other day. I just cut around their ears and at their neck...otherwise I just left it how it was. I think it's so cute.

They get the curly hair from hubby and his mom didn't cut his hair until he was 3.

9. Angelasbabes

Angelasbabes Well-Known Member

My boys were around a year and 4 months when we went to the state fair. I had them dressed in the same shirt (boy colors if you asked me) and similar color pants. I can't believe how many times I was asked "twins? boy and girl, right?"

I loved Boyd's curls, they were soooo cute, and I didn't want to cut either of their hair. Brody's is so fine and was so thin, he just kind of needy the whispies cut.

I was sooo mad that we shaved the boys heads within that next week. I was sad to see those beautiful curls go (nobody in my family EVER had curls - dh's family is known for them) but I didn't want my boy called a girl anymore.

The curls are still there, and he actually prefers it cut (he keeps telling me that he needs a haircut) but I only shave the heads (won't pay the money to have it done) and it's too cold to have it done now, so it'll have to wait until spring.

With that said, you do what you want to do. That's the great thing about being the parent, you can chose what you want to do with your children (within reason, of course!)

10. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 Well-Known Member

My little Ian too has beautiful locks of blonde. I have had it trimmed several times just to keep it shapely. I hate to cut it though because it is SO pretty! Just wish Kelsey (his twin sister) had as pretty of hair, though I am sure as she gets older and it gets longer it will be more manageable. How fair is that for the boy to get the awesome hair!

11. nikki_0724

nikki_0724 Well-Known Member

I am wondering myself when I need to cut the boys hair. Dylan and Brandon both have curly hair on top but straight everywhere else. I get girl comments all the time when they have hats on covering up their hair and are wearing all blue. But we get it alot to when their hair is uncovered too. Im not basing my decision to cut hair on strangers opinions. I love their hair and will keep it as long as possible.

12. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

My boys all have curly hair. I gave them their first trims when they were a little under a year old.

I tend to stick with the style of short sides/back, longer on top so it curls nice. I find it's better if I just cut it myself. At the barber, for some reason they have no concept of how to keep it long enough to curl on top, and we go several weeks with no curls until it grows out. [​IMG]

Now that Jackson's older, he keeps his hair longer all around. We have it trimmed to keep it from getting too poofy, and it doesn't look girly at all, but there's enough length to have some curl showing out at the back of his baseball cap, which is his goal.