Going from WARM formula to COLD milk?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Tracy5780, May 16, 2010.

1. Tracy5780

Tracy5780 Well-Known Member

MY pedi has our girls going onto whole milk in a month...my issue is that i warm my formula...Pedi says stop warming so when you get to whole milk you dont have to...issue now is my girls wont drink the formula at room temperature! Anyone else experience this? What did you end up doing?

2. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

You could keep warming the formula and then also warm the milk.

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with Aimee...also when my two went from formula to milk, we warmed the milk for a couple of weeks and then went to cold milk...we just did it cold turkey (mine were over a year old when we made the switch) and they did fine with it.

4. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I always warmed formula but I never warmed milk. When we switched to milk, I served it to them cold in sippy cups so it was a complete change & they never really had a problem.

5. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

I very slowly stopped warming the milk. We had already switched to formula in sippies and I still nuked it for about 30 seconds. When we were getting close to the milk transition, I started subtracting time. So for a whole day I did only 28 seconds, the next day 26, then 24, etc. I stopped at about 10 seconds to just take the chill off and I did the same to the milk for a few days. Then I went to 5 seconds then nothing. I had tried going to straight cold and they wouldn't drink it so I figured a few weeks of manipulating it wouldn't hurt anything.

6. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We quit warming the formula first. Room temp for a few days and then straight from the fridge.
    Why is the ped having you start milk at 10 months, anyway? Just curious.

7. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

We didnt have an issue either. I just started putting their bottles of formula in the refrigerator and giving it to them cold so that when we went to milk, it wouldnt be an issue. Only because my cousin had to warm her DD milk at the age of 4 and I didnt want to go through that. It really left an impression on me. :)

8. Tracy5780

Tracy5780 Well-Known Member

they have had eggs and yogurt for 1 month with no reaction--so he said to start whole milk

9. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

This was how I did it too.

10. skybluepink02

skybluepink02 Well-Known Member

I just warmed the milk for a couple weeks after the switch. I have figured out the right time on my micro so it's the same temp everytime. I started heating the bottles, both for 1 minute 15 seconds. Every day I dropped 15 seconds off the time. In a bit less than a week they were drinking cold milk and no whining about it either.