gestational diabetes

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by pandax3, Jan 21, 2010.

1. pandax3

pandax3 Well-Known Member

Hey all,

When I was pregnant with DS I had gestational diabetes and I controlled by diet and DD turn out to be fine with his birth weight at 7lbs 13oz, now he is 28-30lbs. Now I am11 weeks and going on 12 week with twins. I had insisted on having me test early. Got the results Monday and turned out my blood sugar level was in the high 200s. Anyone other experienced with Gestational Diabetes with twin pregnancy? Any insight will be great.[​IMG]

2. Had GD with my DS (2nd pregnancy - didn't have it with my first). Like you, easily controlled by diet and DS was born 7lb even. I'm 18 weeks today, and having my early screening when I go in next week. I've been monitoring my blood sugar at home a few times a day since about 12 weeks and haven't seen any issues yet, but have already been avoiding high carbs just in case, so that could be why.

So sorry you saw a 200 - everything I've read is that it's going to be more prevalent/harder to control with twins. I guess the bright side is that having done it once, you know the way your body reacts to things, so it should be easier? But having it so early will be really hard... I was ready to go insane by the time I delivered last time.

Best of luck!!!

3. mommyto3girls

mommyto3girls Well-Known Member

I had GD with both my singleton pregancy and my twin pregnancy. I was able to control it both times with diet. I actually had more issues with the singleton pregnancy though. One time they (the diabetic clinic) told me I would have to start taking insulin shots. I was practically hysterical about that. My OB was not as worried about that and every was fine. Didn't need the insulin. I also had keytones in my urine for that pregnancy. My DD was fine and was 7lbs 1oz at birth.

With the twin pregnancy, it seemed so much easier. Maybe because I had been through it before. The twins were fine and 6lbs. 3oz. and 5lbs. 13oz. at birth.

Good luck.

4. foppa2102

foppa2102 Well-Known Member

I had GD with my twin pregnancy, was also tested early at 24 weeks and soooo dreaded the diagnosis. but it turned out to be very easily controlled with diet, and I delivered at 36 weeks due to IUGR with my girls, weighing 4 lb 7 oz and 4 lb 9 oz. i gained about 6 lbs the entire pregnancy.

5. Sunny

Sunny Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Panda! I have no words of advice, I did not have it with my first pregnancy (a singleton). However, I failed my one-hour GTT last week and just did my three-hour follow-up test today. I am very much expecting to be in the same boat, we can commiserate together!

6. Sunny

Sunny Well-Known Member

Well that was fast -- already have my results back and it was a big fat FAIL! So I am in the gestational diabetes boat with you. Woooonderful. <_<

7. foppa2102

foppa2102 Well-Known Member

It's okay, Sunny. it's really not that bad, and i'm the biggest pessimist! i just knew i was going to be starving and miserable 24-7 but i actually had a hard time taking in all the food i was supposed to eat (and i'm a big girl... lol). you'll both be fine! =)

8. Sunny

Sunny Well-Known Member

I appreciate that encouragement, thank you so much. I have been on complete bedrest since 25 weeks, and it just seems like I can't catch a break in this pregnancy! I am desperate to keep them baking as long as possible, but MAN how I can't wait to actually walk around and eat normal food again. I won't be able to have cake on my 30th birthday! I know I am so lucky to be having these twin blessings, I guess I just need a moment to play the worlds smallest violin. Oh, poor me. :p

9. newpairofschus

newpairofschus Well-Known Member

Good for you for being proactive and asking to be tested!! It's so much better to know as early as possible so you can take every precaution for those growing peeps.

I was borderline w/ DS#1 and then, of course, flunked out again w/ the twins. Mine was diet controlled. My biggest recommendation would be to just do what they tell you to do. And don't be afraid to ask questions!!! It really is that much more important to keep this in check w/ twins...it's not just about higher birth weight. The even bigger concerns are added risk of early delivery and slowed development of respiratory organs...BOTH things that we twin momma's DON'T need while we're cooking those babies! And they can have blood sugar issues when born, too (which means more hosp. time). If you've already done the diet then you know it's very doable...boring and often frustrating (esp. when you're eating for THREE!!!)...but doable and SO worth it!!

Good luck!!! :hug:

Eve

10. lisagayle

lisagayle Well-Known Member

I've never had GD with my previous pregnancy and don't know about this one yet, I'm only 21 weeks so not quite there yet. So I have no idea how any of you ladies feel, but I do want to give you lots of :hug: and let you know that I KNOW you can do it because you are all strong women!

Out of curiosity...what is the GD diet like?

11. newpairofschus

newpairofschus Well-Known Member

Lots of protein. Minimal sugars (refined or otherwise) and flours. And it's all about the timing. The key is to maintain your body's "fuel" throughout the day and balancing your natural sugars (like fruits) with proteins. You can pretty much forget desserts. It's pretty much how a true diabetic would need to eat, but with mucho added calories for the peeps. My nutritionist had me on an INSANE amount of calories per day (like there was any room in there for food!!!). It was hard but doable. The trick is also to find foods that work for you, since not everyone has the same reaction to all foods in terms of blood sugar spikes. That was the worst part. The monotony of it. I found a limited menu of foods that really worked for me and so I stuck to it thru the rest of my pregnancy. But it kinda sucked. I wanted to eat ANYTHING and EVERYTHING!

Eve

12. pandax3

pandax3 Well-Known Member

Sunny,

Don't be discouraged. Your OBGYN will have you go and atttend a Gestational Diabetes education class(a few hours long). During that class they will give you a background on GD, also they will spend time talk about the Gestational Diet and they will give you sample meal plan for you to follow along. They will also go over the Glucose testing.

Good Luck to you.[​IMG]

13. Kaffeetee

Kaffeetee Well-Known Member

I am 27 weeks with mono/di girls. Received a phone call from my doctor office yesterday- I failed my 1 hour GTT test. This had never happened to me before. With my other 2 pregnancies, everything went so smoothly. This set of twins are really turning my days up side down :)
    I'm going back for the 3hrs test tomorrow. Have a feeling that I'll fail that test too. Read about it a little, found out that one of the symptoms is thirst. I've never been so thirsty before. I drink so much that I completely lost my appetize!

14. Sunny

Sunny Well-Known Member

Thanks Panda, good luck to you, too! My meeting with the nutritionist is today. I've been trying to follow the diet (based on info online and from friends) since I found out, but I don't think I'm doing a good job, because right now I am so hungry I am in tears! I don't think I'm getting enough calories for me and both babies. I hope the nutritionist can help. On top of complete bedrest for almost 4 weeks now, I'm afraid this is going to break me! :help:

Kaf - Good luck on your 3 hour test, I hope you do pass!

15. Haydie

Haydie Well-Known Member

I never had it with my 1st preg and surprised to have it with my 2nd preg. I was tested today and I totally failed. It was supposed to be under 140 and mine was 197. BUMMER!!! I was unable to get it controlled last time and ended up on glybuderide or something like that. I still can't believe I have it again. I was really hoping I would not.