Gestational Diabetes

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Idttwinboys22310, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Idttwinboys22310

Idttwinboys22310 Active Member

HI all! Just have a couple questions maybe someone can help. I was just tested and it came back i have GD. I've been doing some research and it seems like everything can raise your blood sugar! I'm on procardia which can raise your sugars and well I've been sick for about a week & an half which also seems to raise your sugars.....I know that twin pregnancy raises the chance as well but I'm just not believing these tests. I'm on bedrest as well (uhhh! for those of you who feel my pain). Could it be that maybe between bedrest, procardia & being sick it's just raised alot? The doctors have me testing my sugars 4x a day & the highest even with all that stacked against me has only been in the 180's. Not that I will disobey the docs orders but just wanted some others input if you all would be so kind. I eat really good but the doctors are talking of putting me on a 2100 cal diet. which to me is scary. I've only gained 40 lbs (I'm 30 weeks today) & on one really thinks I'll make it past 35 weeks......I dont know ANY advice would be nice here.

2. genagoodrow

genagoodrow Well-Known Member

:grouphug:

Oh momma. When I read about GD, it seemed like the best way to eat was as if you were on the Adkins diet. Lots of veggies - butter - and good protein. Yes, it's something else to worry about, but it could be tasty.

Keep it up, and don't do too much internet reading. Or at least balance the scary stuff with positive stories.

Day by day!

3. I'm so sorry you got the diagnosis. I haven't been tested yet in this twin pregnancy, but had GD in my 2nd singleton pregnancy. I was in denial for a while, because I have no risk factors (I'm a really healthy eater, I excercise a lot, and I'm thin), but you have to accept that it's really not you - it's the baby(ies) placenta that is causing this to happen to your body. Combined with what sounds like medication and bedrest, I would encourage you not to fight the diagnosis. 180 is high for blood sugar - by really watching my diet, I was able to keep mine in the 90's/100's after all meals, which is what you'd find in a non-GD person.

It's really just incredibly bad for a baby to be exposed to high maternal blood sugar. One of the most effective ways to help out with your blood sugar is to excercise, but since you can't, I think you're really going to have to put your mind to watching what you eat. The previous poster got it right - it's like the Atkins diet. I LIVED on eggs for about 3 months. It does get frustrating, and maddening, and there were times I would have killed a person for a piece of pineapple, but you'll be so proud when you can keep those sugars under control and have healthy babies to show for it. You can see a GD dietition to help you out with the eating plan - it's important that you find out the foods that do and don't work for you - everybody's different. Some people can handle complex carbs (which are supposed to be healthy, right?) but some of my highest numbers were after a bowl of lentil soup.

Anyway - I chimed in just to let you know that I understand how hard it is to get the diagnosis, and how you want to find any way to make it not be true... but please find a way to accept it and tough it out for the babies. You'll be back to normal after they're born :)

4. ljmcisaac

ljmcisaac Well-Known Member

Look up Glycemic Index...it will tell you which foods to avoid. Some fruit is okay if it has a lot of fibre -- avoid bananas. Vegetable soup is good to fill you up and low GI...if you can get someone to make it homemade or buy the low-salt type, it's better for you.

Hang in there You can do it!

5. Idttwinboys22310

Idttwinboys22310 Active Member