Gassy Twins

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by rinaownsu, Jul 2, 2014.

1. rinaownsu

rinaownsu Active Member

The girls are 8 werks now and still on Similac Neosure using the Tommee Tippee bottles. Suddenly the past 3 days they have been supper gassy and uncomfortable. During feedings they are in so much pain from the gases and I can even hear their tummy's.

My pediatrician happens to be closed until Monday for the holiday and did not leave any type of emergency contact.

I went to Babies R Us and got the Dr. Browns natural flow bottle for gasy and colic babies to see if maybe its the bottles. The pediatrician also mentioned he eventually wanted to switch them to Enfamil for newborns in August so I bought the Enfamil Gentlease which is for gassy babies.

Anyone have any ideas, suggestions or recommendations? Has anyone tried the Enfamil Gentlease or the Dr. Brown bottles?

My idea is to try the bottles first. If it helps then we know it was the bottles. If it does not work then try the new formula.

Any feedback helps!

2. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

I already answered this question on the other thread - I would suggest you try Good Start - it worked much better for my babies. We also went from Similac to Enfamil and Enfamil was worse - and then Good Start was much better. I remember other ladies were recommending Good Start on twinstuff also.

I hope this helps.

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I used to put the anti gas drops in every bottle, especially for my daughter, she struggled with gas as a little one.  At the time, we switched from regular Similac to Similac Sensitive and that helped along with the anti gas drops.

4. rinaownsu

rinaownsu Active Member

UPDATE : My husband and I decided to take them to the children's hospital just to be safe and check the girls because they were still very gassy and irritable during feedings. The physician assured us it was cohlic and advised we feed them less (instead of 4 oz every 3 hours, change to 3 oz every 2 hours). She also mentioned we were over feeding them and stated they were gaining too much weight too quickly. They are 2 months and 8.5 oz.

Today I decided to take them to the pediatrician for a follow up and let him know what was going on. He said not to listen to that physician that they are perfect weight and size and during these first few months a baby should be fed on demand.

However he said the girls do not have cohlic they have a stomach virus. He says cohlic babies will fuss and cry even when they are not feeding. The twins only act this way during feedings. His theory of a stomach virus is because they are gasy, this started from one day to the next, and get stomach pains during feedings. Not even the anti-gas drops work. They are on Similac Alimentum for now until their tummies feel better.

Any ideas or comments???

5. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Alimentum seems like an odd switch. My daughter is on Nutramigen, which is the Enfamil version because she has a milk protein allergy. She was having blood in her stool. It's not subtle.

IDK, you should trust your doctor, but I think both the ER doctor and your pedi sound off.

6. rinaownsu

rinaownsu Active Member

Second UPDATE: I really don't think its a stomach virus or bug as the pediatrician had suggested. He said it would go away in a couple of days and it has been about 3 weeks that they are having the same gas issues. They are in distress and pain during bottle feedings and I can't take it anymore. I am getting a third opinion today and switching to a different pediatrician. In addition Kayla has also developed a rash on her face.