from bad to worse (warning: yucky picture)

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by lbrooks, Mar 25, 2008.

1. lbrooks

lbrooks Well-Known Member

Well Ladies,

I did not get good news at my appointment for a persistent clogged duct. I posted this a.m. about this nasty thing and at the prompting of all of you smart women I made an appointment. About an hour before my appointment I noticed that Greta was spitting up pink. I pumped and this is a picture of what I got http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u147/lieselb/IMG_1839.jpg what you can't see are the bright red blood clots that came out with it. My doctor is an amazing woman and while she was not happy with me for waiting so long to get in she didn't lecture me too much. Unfortunately, she is 95% sure that I need surgery and that this is now an absess. I have an appointment with a surgeon tomorrow for an ultrasound etc. She said she has never seen a clog like this. Both lymph nodes in my armpits are swollen even though the clog is only on my right side. As many of you know, I have bottle refusers. Needless to say I'm a bit concerned about all of this. I asked the doctor to please find a breastfeeding friendly surgeon. She was supportive, but did say that I should look at "all the options" and that this may be my bodies way of "giving up". I told her my body was not giving up, it's a clogged duct gone bad. Anyway, I have a bunch of different tests that I need to do, but it does look like surgery is inevitable. I will need to get the girls to take a bottle because I will have a full 24 hours of not being able to feed due to anesthesia, plus as of today - that breast is not producing. I can't get much out of it and what I do get is very bloody so I'm feeding them on the other side only. I think they'll be hungry in the next feeding or two and will want a bottle. I can't pump for them because I'm barely making enough to feed them. UGH! How did this happen so fast? I just want things to continue to be great! Happy breastfeeding mom- happy breastfeeding babies...we don't need or want this drama.

Lastly, my arm, back and breast on the right side are in a lot of pain. I am avoiding taking a vicodin but it really is painful. Plus, I look like I have the boobs of the elephant woman. My right breast is completely deformed.

Thanks for listening to my big negative vent. I'll be more positive tomorrow. Tonight I'm bummed and worried.

2. annelily2000

annelily2000 Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh, I am so sorry. I would be really bummed too and worried. I had no idea it could be so serious. I hop eyour babes take to the bottle pretty easy, while you heal. Most of all, I hope ya'll get back to bf soon.

3. excitedk

excitedk Well-Known Member

That really stinks, I am sure you are soooo full of emotion and pain right now :hug99: One thing I want to stress: do NOT quit pumping/bfing on that side!!!!!!!!! It will only make it worse. Even if you throw away all of what you get, make sure to pump. Continue with the hot compresses, etc. Take some vicodin.
    You need to focus on getting well, you can worry about your supply later (I know easier said than done!), but our bodies are amazing, you would be suprised at how fast you can bounce back (matter of 1-2 weeks).

And you can always cup feed, dropper feed, etc for the girls, while I know its not ideal, they will not starve.

Please keep us posted and I will try and research this and see what I find :hug99:

4. Zabeta

Zabeta Well-Known Member

Oh, Honey! I'm so glad you went in today, and so so sorry that it has gotten that bad. Please be ok with being bummed and worried, especially here. You have every right to be much more than that right now. Just a plugged duct puts me in a terrible mood - you're clearly a far better woman than I :)

That comment about "your body's way of giving up" would have put me through the roof (in a quiet, seething kind of way). Reading that made me want to punch your great Dr.

Wish there was another way to help from here, but for now, :hug99:

5. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

Oh no Liesel!! I'm sorry. Now I feel like a jerk for whining about my clog! I hope you are ok, physically and emotionally!

Have you tried sippy cups? I just bought some today and I was thinking about giving them a try next week. Maybe your girls wont hate them as much as bottles. Its not like you are trying to trick them with those awful plastic nipples ;)

Well take a vicodin and get some rest! I wish you luck tomorrow. :hug99:

6. lbrooks

That comment about "your body's way of giving up" would have put me through the roof (in a quiet, seething kind of way). Reading that made me want to punch your great Dr.
    :rolleyes: yeah, she means well...I just think it's funny that docs think a body will "give up".

One thing I want to stress: do NOT quit pumping/bfing on that side!!!!!!!!! It will only make it worse. Even if you throw away all of what you get, make sure to pump.
    This is a good reminder. I have been pumping all day...I will pump pump pump! I also went to get some Fenugreek today and Lechitin from whoever suggested that.

Oh no Liesel!! I'm sorry. Now I feel like a jerk for whining about my clog! I hope you are ok, physically and emotionally!
    Whine away! You're in good company. You take good care of yourself.

I think the interesting lesson here is that you don't have to have a fever and red streaks for it to be an infection...if it's a persistent clog antibiotics just may be necessary so all of you who are dealing with this keep an eye on it. If it goes to long (more than 2 days) get in to see your doc.

7. andiemc

andiemc Well-Known Member

I seriously have the willies! I can only imagine how uncomfortable you have to be! This is a good lesson though for those of us who have babies that won't take bottles...it is really valuable to have them trained b/c you just never know!
    Good luck and let us know how it all goes!

8. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

:hug99: I'm glad you went in. Have you tried sippies for your girls yet? That might help. Keep us updated!

9. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

OMG Liesel that's awful! I'm so sorry you have to go through this :hug99: I hope the girls will "understand" that mommy needs them to take a bottle and cooperate for you! I also hope that the surgery fixes it (and fast) and that you will be able to nurse again when it's all over! Please keep us posted.

10. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

Oh my. That sounds positively horrible. I am sending you good thoughts, and prayers that you can get this fixed as soon as possible....ugh, I know how much just a simple clog hurts, so I can't imagine what a nightmare you must be in. I am so sorry!

I know your babies are still very young, but maybe try straw cups -- since they don't resemble a nipple at all, they might take to them more easily if you can demonstrate how to suck from them....

11. JenClark74

JenClark74 Active Member

OMG, that is just awful!! I'm sending you lots of quick healing vibes!! First off, go take a vicodin (or 2)!!! It will not hurt the babies at all. I got my tubes tied a couple weeks ago and was on percocet after, and both OB and pedi said it was fine to continue BFing. You need some pain relief!! Being in pain can decrease your supply by itself!

Second, I don't remember what message board I read it on - here or at IV or at La Leche League - but I read the story of a woman who had the same thing as you - not once, but TWICE had to have surgery - and she still successfully BF for a long time!! I completely disagree with your doc about your body "giving up!!!" You might want to check out LLL's message boards for additional advice.

Good luck!!

12. bigeyes

bigeyes Well-Known Member

sending lots of healing vibes! I hope the lethicin works out for you. I took it faithfully whenever i got a cloggd duct and it seemed to help some. the lc reccomended it but i can't recalll the amount .. i think 3? maybe Kristi knows +D sooo sorry it so yucky! take some pills!!!

13. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

Oh no, I am so sorry, Liesel! :hug99: I'm sorry you're in pain, I'm sorry you're facing surgery, and I'm sorry that on top of it all you have to worry about the girls being able to eat.

About the eating problem - I second the idea of straw sippies. My babies love the Nuby ones, they're really easy to use. And you could also try an open cup. I know that's worked well for some anti-bottle babies. One way or another, they will eat!

Boy, your dr's comment made me mad. I mean, would you tell a pro athlete with a sprained ankle that this is just their body's way of giving up? :huh: The nerve of some people!

I have no doubt that you will get through this! Please keep us posted. I'm thinking of you. :hug99:

14. TwinsInOkinawa

TwinsInOkinawa Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm so sorry. I hope you feel better soon and the surgery goes quickly and easily.

Try a straw (maybe just in a regular cup) - my girls (as you know, who are also bottle refusers) like to drink out of a straw. At your girls age, I had to put the straw in the water, put my finger over the top, and then put the other end in their mouths and let it dribble into their mouths, but within a few days of doing that, they figured out how to suck out of the straw. We had to cut plastic straws down so they didn't have to suck as far, but again, within a few days of doing that, they figured out the whole straw thing.

Keep us updated. Prayers for you.

Erica.

15. lbrooks

Thanks ladies. We are going to go get some different cups. I do have the Nuby straw on Holly's recommendation and Lulu did sort of "get it"...also, I have no idea why (except that my girls are super intuitive geniuses) but Lulu took a bottle last night with NO problem. I just mixed up some formula and tried it and she sucked it down. Months we've been at this and she just decided it was time. I'm hoping she'll give the message to her sis.

I guess I just give them as much as they'll take? I'm not sure how the whole formula thing works.

16. Soon2Bmotherof3

Soon2Bmotherof3 Well-Known Member

:eek: Oh my gosh, coming from someone who gets frequent clogs and always feels like I am going to go nuts when I have them, I SOOO feel for you. Just wanted to say that I hope that the surgery goes well and that you are back to feeding your girls in no time. I can't imagine how painful that must be - take the vicodan - you deserve it!! Thank you for sharing this because it makes us all aware that sometimes a clog won't just go away. Did you doctor give you any indication when you should have come in? Mine have never lasted more than 24 hours, but how do we know when it's too long and we should get looked at?

:hug99:

17. surferspice

surferspice Active Member

you poor woman! i am so sorry that you are having to deal with this and just wanted to offer some positive wishes and prayers your way! i hope that the clog resolves and that you can continue to bf your girls. i'm dealing with major teething/biting issues right now and now how difficult and depressing it feels to think you may not be able to continue. it sounds like you are doing ok with 1 taking a bottle now, but if worse comes to worse you may just try a small open cup. my biter will not take a bottle (used to though) or even a sippy cup AT ALL but is now drinking from a small open cup. it's not the easiest thing because she wants to hold it, but it works well. big hugs to you!
    heather
    lily and sofi are 7 mos.

18. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

Wow-- I am so, so sorry to hear this. I've never heard of something so awful! Please take care of yourself and try not to worry (not that that is easy!). You poor thing!!

19. brianamurnion

brianamurnion Well-Known Member

Oh that is crazy! I am so sorry you are dealing with this. But you sound like such a dertermined mommy, others would have given up gladly in a heartbeat! You go momma!!

20. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I can not even imagine how much pain you must be in-I have had a cloged duct and it is not fun-but that seems like nothing compared to what you got going on! Ouch! Please do yourself a favor and take the pain meds! You deserve it! Take care of yourself and when you are better you can get back on track!
    I admire you for all your determination, like pp's said...most people would have thrown in the towel with such complications!
    I hope you feel better soon!

21. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

:Clap: Yay Lulu!!! I cant believe she took a bottle! Thats awesome! Its such a great feeling when they do! Hopefully she will continue and tell her sister they really arent THAT bad! :)

Good luck today!!

22. nepolm

nepolm Well-Known Member

:hug99: :hug99: :hug99:

Sending LOTS of positive thoughts and healing energy your way :D :D :D !!!

23. stacyann_1

stacyann_1 Well-Known Member

Oh my god, you are amazing for hanging in there so well. I hope you feel better soon, and your little ones are back to the breast. So glad at least lulu is taking to the bottle.

24. jenniej

jenniej Well-Known Member

:( I really hope things .... well I am not sure what to say actually. I really hope that you heal, that the babies figure out the bottles and that things get back to the way they are supposed to be. My prayers are with all of you! Most women would have quit - you are an amazing women and mom.

25. greymom

greymom Well-Known Member

Really good news that you've got one bottle-taker! I'm so sorry you are going through this. Sending prayers your way...

Michelle

PS - Your body is NOT "giving up"! Give me a break!

26. serranoboys

serranoboys Well-Known Member

Oh my WORD!!!!! You are a soldier! I would have gone completely bonkers if this happened to me. Please, please, please get better soon :hug99: :hug99: :hug99:

27. mrsfussypants

mrsfussypants Well-Known Member

I had an abscess the size of a baseball in my breast from persistent mastitis/clogged milk duct. I had an outpatient procedure done which involved them draining it and then leaving a catheter and bag to continue draining for a week. It was awful. I am so sorry you have to go through this too.

Reyna