freeze dried veggies and/or fruits

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by hsuter, Jul 22, 2009.

1. hsuter

hsuter Well-Known Member

Someone I know just mentioned freeze dried corn. I just googled freeze dried veggies...I didnt even know there was such a thing,lol. Anyway, we've been offering fruits and veggies to no avail...I think the texture freaks them out. I was just wondering if this might be an alternative for now? Of course I will continue to offer non-freeze dried stuff, but has anyone done freeze dried stuff? Would this be a bad habit to start? Can babies even eat this stuff?

2. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

My boys started eating frozen peas right around the same age as your kids; I gave it as a finger food. I don't see anything wrong with it.

3. ohjojo

ohjojo Well-Known Member

gerber actually makes some freeze dried snacks. i've seen apple and corn, they are recommended for 12+ months. i bought some of the apples and after trying them myself, i don't think my LOs are ready for them yet, a little too hard at the beginning.. maybe in a month or so.

i don't think it would be starting a bad habit, the texture/taste is really not like fresh veggies, and if they enjoy them at least they would be getting some veggies..

4. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We did some of the Gerber freeze dried fruits before a year. I believe it was the apples & strawberries. They tended to turn to mush pretty quickly & our two loved them and had no problems with them. I never tried the corn.

5. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

My girls love freeze dried fruit. Just be aware that freeze dried usually doesn't have the same nutrition as fresh or frozen. Fruit skins are taken off before drying, so all that great fiber is gone, and the drying process eliminates some of the nutrients.

6. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

We did freeze dried around 11 months. They really liked (and still do) the apples, but corn wasn't a big hit. I didn't use them at meals, just more at snack. When they wouldn't eat veggies in a finger food, I would still give it to them in a puree. Jake had a lot of texture issues and even now will still eat a Stage 3 dinner when he won't eat anything else.

7. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

We do a lot of freeze dried fruits and veggies. Gerber makes some apple and strawberry ones, and our Kroger sells corn ones in the baby department. There's also a great selection at Whole Foods - we've done corn, peas, apples, pineapples, raspberries, cherries, and various fruit and veggie mixes. I just try to keep to smaller-sized options (or go with like whole apple slices, although that is probably better when they are a little older). You can try it too - the corn especially just dissolves in your mouth. Enjoy - they make GREAT snacks.