For anyone who's done bedrest...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by anglinstork, Dec 2, 2006.

1. anglinstork

anglinstork Well-Known Member

Question for you...did you find that when you did get up to move around, go to the bathroom, take a shower...that you felt worse than you had before because you'd been laying down for so long!?!?!?

This is one thing that really worries me. I'm an extremely active person. Laying around for days and days - what is it going to do to my body??? I mean the muscles, etc???

And it really seems that when I get up to either go to the bathroom or grab a glass of milk (I'm by myself this weekend) that I get pains and cramping and awful feelings in my lower belly. What the heck!?!?

I wasn't having hardly any of that (unless I was really overdoing it) prior to Thursday...

Thanks!

2. anglinstork

anglinstork Well-Known Member

Question for you...did you find that when you did get up to move around, go to the bathroom, take a shower...that you felt worse than you had before because you'd been laying down for so long!?!?!?

This is one thing that really worries me. I'm an extremely active person. Laying around for days and days - what is it going to do to my body??? I mean the muscles, etc???

And it really seems that when I get up to either go to the bathroom or grab a glass of milk (I'm by myself this weekend) that I get pains and cramping and awful feelings in my lower belly. What the heck!?!?

I wasn't having hardly any of that (unless I was really overdoing it) prior to Thursday...

Thanks!

3. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

I know some people will strongly dislike me for this but I was never uncomfortable being pregnant. I was on bedrest for 7 weeks and there were no ill effects on my muscles or anything. I took it slow after delivery but more because I had a 'full delivery experience' and wanted to not over do it. Once I was discharged from the hospital I started walking daily and it felt great. It really helped with the cooped up feeling I had after the bedrest and the no driving for 6 weeks post c-section restriction but again, no ill effects due to the bedrest.

I am not sure what the pains etc are but if they continue and are a concern to you then I would contact your doc.

4. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

I was on bedrest for 15 weeks. I was able to get up and around pretty quickly after delivery, despite it being a c-section. I haven't found the time, however, to get back to my regular exercise/weight training/yoga/pilates routine so some things still tire me out due to being out of shape more than having been on bedrest.

5. MommyWannabe

MommyWannabe Well-Known Member

Ang, I feel the same way. When I'm up and moving I get tight, achy pains in my lower stomach. I'm pretty sure they are BH. I don't forsee any problems with my muscles after birth. I'm just anxious to get far enough to have me some healthy babies!

6. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

i've been on bedrest for 8 weeks...and probably have another 4-5 weeks.

i do notice that i have to move slowly now when I get up, but i really think that has less to do with bed rest and more to do with pelvic pain, etc. Once i start moving around, i do better...i just have to be careful.

as for your muscles, i thought i would do some exercises in bed (my dr. said fine) - but i just end up not doing it. prior to this, i was still walking or swimming 6 times a week...but it seems my body needed this break. i do get some exercise becuse the parking lot for the hospital is a relative hike to the hospital entrance.

anyway, i would ask your dr. about what types of simple exercises you can do in bed.

miriam

7. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I was a VERY active person also - and now that I have been on bedrest (for a month now) I find that I tire more easily, and I have begun to gain more weight - I don't really feel bad, I just find that a shower makes me feel like I have been working all day!!

8. twomore

twomore Well-Known Member

I was on bedrest for 12 weeks, and yes I felt awfull, my body just ached. I would'nt worry about losing muscle that kind of thing. I had my babies a week and a half ago, and I feel great. I had a c-section so I still have to take it easy, but for the rest I don't feel weak at all. and all the aches a pains are obviously gone.
    Hang in there, and don't worry.

9. Fay

Fay Well-Known Member

I was on bedrest for 19 weeks and spent 56 consecutive days on mag sulfate (muscle atrophy is a side effect of long term use). I had a harder time recovering from bedrest than from any aspect of my delivery. By about 30 weeks I was unable to walk without assistance and it was several days Post Partum before I could. I took a long time for me to regain my strength.

Have you talked to your doctor about physical therapy? It was easy for me to get PT b/c I was in the hospital, but I had a list of exercises to do several times a day. Because of the length of my bedrest and the complications I was having I was extremely limited in what I could do, but the activity was good for my muscles and helped prevent clots. It also kept my upper body stronger...and I was thankful for that as I lugged two babies home!

10. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

I was on BR for 11 weeks and yes I had some trouble after delivery. I have some underlying conditions that may have contributed- but I did a month worth of daily Physical Therapy after delivery.

I wore a lower stomach support band even on bedrest and that helped elliviate some of that lower stomach crampiness when I got up. Ask your Dr.

BUT about 6 month post delivery, I was in the same shape as before- I walked during the spring & summer and that helped tremendously.

11. AWillow

AWillow Well-Known Member

I'm starting week number 4 on bedrest. I have noticed some of the aches and pains that you mentioned. I figure it is due to my increasing size. I haven't had a problem yet with too much weight gain and I'm not worried about losing muscle. I' figure I'll regain my strength by taking care of two babies [​IMG]

I do have more cramps now then I did before i was on bedrest. but when I do too much and don't lay around like i'm supposed to I start having contractions. I'll deal with the cramping, it seems the lesser of evils.