Food quirks...

Discussion in 'General' started by megkc03, Jul 8, 2012.

1. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

So...we had corn on the cob tonight for dinner. And well, I never eat the ends of the corn-the one end because it's nearest the ground, and the other because it's the tip where the opening is. I know-weird. I just think bugs for whatever reason. LOL! So-you can easily pick out the corn I've eaten! :laughing:

Two more I have:

-I never eat the first layer of lettuce. That instantly goes in the trash.
    -I cut off the tip of the banana for the kids. My former boss told me that's where bugs lay their eggs. Ya, no thanks...

SO-are there any you have?!?!

2. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

Things I've never eaten but know I don't like: Herring, whitefish, sardines, anchovies, caviar, lox, (basically anything stinky fish related)

I just started liking beets a year ago, but only raw or roasted, never boiled.

Things I don't like: raisins, coconut, ginger.

The bones in chicken thighs and legs used to gross me out, so I'd make other people cut up my chicken for me :)

I hate baked sweet potatoes but I love them fried.

I eat much more slowly than most people.

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't like my food to touch (I'm much better about this as an adult then when I was a child, I would not even touch a salad because different foods were touching).

I still eat my food one type at a time. I always eat the vegetables first, then usually the side dish, then the meat.

I will never eat ketchup. Like tomatoes. Like spaghetti sauce, but I can't stand ketchup.

I keep trying to make myself like cole slaw and I always will taste it and I still don't like it.

I don't like olives or coconut. Oddly enough, neither does my DH. We both are indifferent to ham too.

4. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

I can't deal with it when a cold food and a hot food touches. Garden salad has to have it's own plate away from typically hot food.

I very much dislike having other foods on my plate with steak. The juices of the steak cannot get into anything else. Actually any food that has liquid like coleslaw or potato salad have to have their own plate.

When I have a lunch meat sandwich I don't like the mayo on the cheese and the salt and pepper has to be on the meat not the mayo, lettuce or condiments.

I can't eat Shepard pie.

5. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

One I get a chunk of fat no matter how small in my heat I cannot finish my meal.
    I only eat white meat
    I will not eat any meat off the bone and will not cut it off. I will eat a chicken breast and pull the meat off but once it gets too low I am done.
    I will space my food out on buffet plates with only 2-3 items and a very small amount. It looks like I am making a million trips.

6. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Coconut looks like toenails. :bad:

3 people like this.
  7. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I hated coconut growing up & into adulthood. Then one day, it was like someone just flipped a switch & suddenly I loved it. Seriously, if it has coconut on it or in it, I am eating it! So weird.

I have issues with meat/eggs. I can only eat them if they come in packages from the store. I have a friend with chickens and, even though I know the fresh eggs should be better than the ones we buy in the store, I just can't eat them. I need them to be at least one step removed from the source or I think about it too much & it disgusts me. Sometimes, if I think about it too much, I can't even eat the ones from the store. I also have a hard time touching raw meat.

8. Christel

Christel Well-Known Member

I'm another one that doesn't let her food touch. And I only eat one food at a time too. I most always use divided plates for that reason!

9. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

I also only eat one food at a time! Usually sides and then meat.

I cannot handle the texture of a hot dog- they make me gag.

I eat the crunchy part of popcorn first and save all the "poofs" for last. That's probably my weirdest quirk that people laugh at.

I eat corn on the cob in systematic rows, leaving none of the corn on the cob. It's completely clean when I get finished.

:) I'm odd.

10. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I do not eat the fat on my meat. I also don't like egg yolks much, so will only eat scrambled eggs although recently I was converted by having a fried egg on my burger. Cheese, cheese powder, cheese flavouring must not touch my food. Except for goat cheese and mozzarella on pizza, that's fine.

I am surprised by all the people who won't touch meat on a bone. I had a friend who was like that and I always thought she was a very strange exception. We always had to peel her chicken wings for her.

But I am a freak for cleanliness in the kitchen. I think I could give the average health inspector a run for their money when it comes to lessons on cross contamination. I have had food poisoning so many times, even requiring trips to the ER. It is very stressful for me to eat at places where I don't know how everything has been handled. I nearly fainted at Christmas when my MIL put a raw turkey on the counter and then wiped it up with the dish cloth that she used to clean my kids' dishes without rinsing it out after.

11. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I only eat white meat...such as chicken and turkey...the dark meat is slimy and too moist to me. I also do not eat wild meat....deer, squirrel, rabbit...anything that someone has killed and cooked. Besides the fact that most of it is dark, it just tastes wild and gross to me. My dad used to go hunting and bring those dead carcusses home, and I used to watch him skin them out in the yard...sort of done me in on eating wild meat. Frog legs...no way...I remember them jumping around in the pan when my mom used to cook them when I was little...g.r.o.s.s!

I eat all the chocolate off of a Three Musketeers candy bar before eating the gooey middle...yummy! I pretty much peel the chocolate off of anything first if I can..it's so yummy.

My husband thinks I'm strange, but whenever I make cornbread, my midnight snack is a glass of milk with cornbread crumbled up in it (thanks, Dad!). I make my cornbread on the sweet side, and its so yummy with milk.

12. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

Probably the weirdest thing I do is put Ranch dressing on cooked broccoli. At least a lot of people I know think it's weird.

I do hate coconut, so good to know I'm not the only one!

When I was younger, I used to put cocoa powder on my cereal. There was one certain brand that was the best and they don't make it anymore. :(

1 person likes this.
  13. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The only cheese I like is wrapped American and curds on poutine (which I just started liking a few years ago)

I will only drink milk in my own home. Will not touch it at work. I hate yogurt with a passion.

Throws out the first 2 pieces of bread to the birds, the crust and the next too crusty one.

No fish ever. (and the cat will not eat fish flavoured treats, we match)

Hummus looks like baby poo.

The only chips I like are regular and BBQ

Olives, cocktail onions, pickles - ewwwww. (I worked in a canning factory on the cocktail onion line once and it was horrible)

White freezies (otter pops/frozen flavored ice in tubes) are icky.

No pancakes/waffles, ewwww.

14. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

Wow, reading all of these makes me feel really normal. :rofl: I don't have too many food related quirks that I can think of although my diet might seem weird to some people. Since I am gluten and dairy free, I eat a lot of things that some people might find odd or different (some of the cheese/dairy subs especially which involve a lot of tofu and/or nutritional yeast). The only two foods I really don't eat are sweet potatoes and tomatoes, although I have learned to love them on a salad (mostly grape tomatoes) or in a sandwich/wrap.

My weird food thing is I hate the sound of people chewing food. Some people are really noisy!

15. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Me too! And I get so many weird looks! LOL!

~I can barely handle raw meat without washing my hands and counters a gazillion times.
    ~Raw chicken makes me gag but I can eat it once its cooked.
    ~I don't drink anything during my meal but chug all my beverage when I'm done (unless its a dry meal I'll take sips)
    ~First layer of lettuce goes in trash, as does ends of bananas, bread, tomatos, onions, cucumbers...anything really.
    ~I put chocolate syrup on my oatmeal sometimes :blush:

16. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

I can't stand to eat meat that's been cooked on the bone. And I especially am not about to eat something still on the bone. EWW! Ribs, fried chicken (yep! Even being from the south!) or anything like that grosses me out. And I don't like dark meat either.

I don't like my food to touch.

I will eat a lot of different types of meat, but texture is a big thing with me. It can't look or feel slimy and I don't like fat. And please cook it. If I even think it may be a little pink it grosses me out. (The exception is steak. Which can be a little pink, but not too much.)

I don't like pizza.

17. Mama_Kim

I would totally gross some of you out. I used to like to suck the bone marrow out of a good steak bone or pork chop. Mmmmm. And it's really good for you too! Haven't done that ina long time because I don't really eat that much meat any more. But once ina while . . .

I would totally gross some of you out. I used to like to suck the bone marrow out of a good steak bone or pork chop. Mmmmm. And it's really good for you too! Haven't done that in a long time because I don't really eat that much meat any more. But once in a while . . .

1 person likes this.
  18. Chrissy Nelson

We went to eat at a wings place with a couple and the guy sat there and sucked the marrow out of the bones. It was NARSTY!!

19. Mama_Kim

But OMG so delicious. Very rich and tasty. Hey, you can't blame me. I'm of French ancestry. Julia Childs would be proud of me

20. Chrissy Nelson

I did not even know it was possible to do that!! His bones were super clean!!

21. Christel

Christel Well-Known Member

Me three but it's Kit Kat for me!!

22. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

You know I used to think I hated coconut--but then I discovered that that shredded office paper stuff they try to pass off as coconut in the US in NOT what real coconut is like. Fresh coconut is divine.

My only real quirk now is I don't eat animal skin. Not chicken skin, not chicarron, not fish skin and I try not to eat organ meat.

I was never real picky, then then when I studied abroad I made a pack to try anything that was served to me and I did. It was well worth it to.

23. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:bad: about sucking out bone marrow, OMG!!! Yuck!

Tina-I am the same about having to have the food I eat once removed and bought from the store or I get creeped out and cant eat it. LOL! My husband hunts and I cant eat what he brings home. Our friend has chickens and I seriously gagged while eating the eggs he gave us.

Oh!! I have to cut the ends off of things like hot dogs, sausage, bananas and corn too!

And coconut is gross!

24. Mama_Kim

It's delicious. Why do you think beef bones makes such delicious stock? :p

I buy the unsweetened coconut flakes and add them to my oatmeal (along with other mix ins like blueberries and walnuts). Delicious!

OK, why do you cut the ends off things like sausage? I understand bananas because I give the ends to my dog but not quite sure about the sausage.

I'd also kill for the fresh laid eggs.

I've been seriously trying to think of something quirky that is food related but other than the marrow am coming up short!

25. lharrison1

I dont know why I do it...I am just goofy! LOL! I do give the ends to my dog! :good:

26. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My BIL does that! I wish I could!
    My DH will not eat fatty meat.

When I was a kid, I used to eat mayo sandwiches :bad: Now, the thought of it makes me gag. Same with liverwurst. Loved the stuff as a kid, now I can't even look at it.

27. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Oh, I forgot that one. No way am I eating any kind of organ meat. Blech. Makes me feel sick to think about it!! :bad:

28. lharrison1

I have not and will not EVER eat organ meat!!! Puke puke puke!!!

29. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

:bad:

Eww! I've never seen anyone do that thankfully! But to each their own!

30. MommyMelissaReturns

MommyMelissaReturns Well-Known Member

I hate the way cooked onions and green peppers feel when you bite on them......GAG!!! I'll eat them raw, but cooked.....no thanks.

31. MommyMelissaReturns

MommyMelissaReturns Well-Known Member

Ick!!! I agree 100% It doesn't smell good either!!

32. Chrissy Nelson

My brother used to eat miracle Whip sandwiches. It was nasty how it would squish out the sides.

33. AlphaBeta

AlphaBeta Well-Known Member

I do not like the taste of cooked bell peppers. Love them raw, but the flavor changes when cooked. Stuffed bell peppers will send me into another room (my boyfriend's mother made them for dinner once and I still don't know how I made it through that meal!). I'm not a huge fan of omlets.(sp?) I'll do scrambled eggs, eggs over easy, and eggs in anything else, but for some reason omlets just seem greasy to me. Eggnog - our special recipie, with real whipped cream, homemade, YUM! Other than that, I avoid super spicy food - I prefer to taste my food, and don't need the additional heartburn.

DH doesn't eat most sea food. He lived in Hong Kong for several years and has bad memories of eating unidentifiable meats, usually fish, so he avoids anything that tastes fishy. He'll do shrimp, lobster, or fresh tuna, but that's it. I wish it was different becasue I like most fish, and would love to cook/serve more fish for the kids, but he can't stand the smell of the house after fish has been cooked, so no go. The kids and I will splurge on sushi when we can.

Other than that, no issues. I don't care if food touches, I don't care if my salad is on the same plate, I don't worry about the ends of things unless they look like they've gone bad or past their prime. I don't eat my food in any order, usually a bite of everything, then go round again and again until it's all gone (or I'm full). I haven't tried organ meats, but would give them a whirl in a reputable restaurant. Not much on game meat, but will eat it if there's nothing else (fortunately that is rarely an issue). Would love fresh eggs. Would love to have meat that I know came from an animal that was treated humanely (for lack of a better word). If I think about it too much, I really want to go vegetarian, but it's too much work with everything else right now, so I just try not to think about it.

34. Mama_Kim

I ate blood sausage in Spain. Never again. :bad: I also would pass on the organs. We're just not raised to eat them here like in other countries and the thought is revolting to me.

35. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I dislike real coconut and coconut milk too. (I've eaten them before, machetes are fun when you're 12!)

I don't eat organs, and prefer wild meats to the stuff you get in the store. I would be in heaven if I could get my hands on a dozen fresh eggs. I do think that growing up on a farm vs. growing up in a city really makes a big difference in your tastes.