Flying at 11 months

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by BubbleDragon, Aug 18, 2010.

1. BubbleDragon

BubbleDragon Well-Known Member

Sooo... to make my sob story short, my dad's company recently moved his position to Chicago. They're selling their house here in Pittsburgh and bought one in Chicago, but my mum has only 2 more years before she can retire with full benefits here. So she's staying here and living with my grandma till then. My dad moved last week, and as I'm sure you can imagine, he's pretty lonely and depressed.

We're looking to take a visit out there in early October when the boys will be nearing a year old. We'll have to fly, because hubby's got driving anxiety and can't handle highways. It should be a short flight, but I don't know how to handle the flight and then the visit with the babies!

My mom put a pack n play on the moving truck, so he's got one of those out there with him. I figured maybe I'd get something like this: http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=533888&parentCategoryId=85184&categoryId=85218&subCategoryId=86218 for the car seats, because we'd need them when we got there.

Maybe buy some cheap umbrella strollers once we arrive and then just leave that there.

My brother will be moving out to join him in a few weeks, so it's possible I could send some "necessities" with him ahead of our trip, if I can think of anything (maybe a second PnP....)

What kinds of things should I be preparing for that might not spring to mind? We're still nursing plus the boys just eat table food these days anyway, so I'm not terribly concerned about foods while travelling...

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm flying the week of the boys' 1st birthday- Denver to Detroit. I'm planning on using our stroller for them, putting all other junk (2 carseats, 2 bags, EZ 2 Nurse, 1-2 other carryons) in one of those giant airplane cart-things. I have 2 PNPs waiting for me on the other side- my boys never shared a bed. I think I will bring the spare teddy bear that 1 boy loves to pieces in checked luggage, 1 carry-on. I will also wash and dry fresh sheets for the PNP so they 'smell' like home. :) Other than that, it's going to be toys, sippies & Baby Einstein on our laptop.

Best of luck (to both of us!) :laughing:

3. Gigantor

Gigantor Well-Known Member

We just got back from a trip from overseas. On the way home it was daytime, so they took two naps, but in between I was walking with them in the aisles, I had their favorit toys handy and food to nibble on. Have antibacterial wipes with you, it's always handy.

When the plane takes off they need to suck on something so their ears would not pop. Be prepared that they may scream, and it's ok.

It'll be a change for them, and for you too. Try not to worry about it much. If they get off schedule, you'll put them back on once you are back in your own home again.

Best of luck to you!

4. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Think logistics.

Are you buying seats for the babies? If so, then you will need your car seats. That means that you have to push 2 babies, pull 2 car seats, carry bags, etc. If you check the car seats and have the babies as lap riders, then that frees your arms up a bit to juggle through security.

We only do curbside check in. We drive up to the curb. Unload the stroller, lock the kids in their stroller (we traveled with the combi SBS), unload the car seats, get in line at the curb, then DH brings the the bags over one by one, and we scurry our way up until someone from Southwest comes over to give us a hand. They are always really helpful and friendly.

I would send a second pack and play and some diapers and maybe some sippy cups. Whatever you can send ahead of time that you dont need, I would do. Plan for delays in the airport and on the plane. Extra outfits, diapers, toys, and finger foods.

GL!!

5. ssb2e

ssb2e Well-Known Member

We flew about that same age. I didn't have to take pnp's because we had 2 where we were going already. We did take our carseats, but I just put them in a giant trash bag and checked them. The babies sat on our laps. We did wing check the stroller, so we could have that to push them around the airport in. Unless you bought them seats on the plane, I wouldn't buy those things for the carseats, just check them. Mine did surprisingly well. A little fussing, but not much. They both fell asleep pretty soon after takeoff. I just made sure they had something new to play with and plenty of snacks.

6. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

We flew at 11 mos from Denver to Chicago. We still had the infant carseats. We checked those and baby bjorned the girls through the airport. Security was a bit of a pain since you have to take the bjorns off to go through, but they saw us coming and were helpful. We checked one PnP and had one waiting for us. We parked in economy, loaded luggage/equipment on the cart, bjorned the girls and away we went. We gate checked the car seats. VERY IMPORTANT. You will need those at the airport to get to your destination so be sure to ask to check them at the gate. The girls did great - we were exhausted - and the first day visiting was very trying. But overall we were pleasantly surprised at how just the new experience was enough to keep them entertained. We got complimented by several getting off the plane that we had good babies...give me a break! I hate the whole "good baby" or "bad baby" thing. Anyway, it is pretty comical getting on a plane with two...people avoid your row until there is no choice. We are flying with 18 month olds in September...I am pretty nervous. :) Good luck!

7. amymc72

amymc72 Well-Known Member

Just flew with our 11 month twins (plus our three year old and five year old - it was super fun) two weeks ago. I second the recommendation to GATE CHECK your carseats rather than checking them with other luggage. You might consider shipping what you need to arrive about the same time you do so you don't have you drag so much along through the airport, which is a whip. It would be easy for you since your dad is there and has an address. Plus it's not terribly expensive - particularly if you are flying and airline that charges to check bags.

8. talktomei

talktomei Well-Known Member

We just came back from a trip to Las Vegas (from North Carolina) with our 9 week olds. We brought the snap n go, carseats and bases. Checked the bases (for free) and gate-checked teh carseats and SNG. Check with the attendants at the gate - if the flight is not full, they will let you bring the carseat on the plane, which is nice. I wore the moby on the plane for putting my twin into, and my husband wore a baby bjorn for the same reason. the kids did wonderfully.

Mainly you have to worry about sleeping arrangements and feeding. Take care of those 2 things, and the rest is a breeze.