first round of vaccines... what to expect

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by leaudemiel, Aug 8, 2010.

1. leaudemiel

leaudemiel Well-Known Member

Tomorrow we have their 2 month checkups, and the first round of vaccines. What should we expect? Do they get fevers and things now? Or is that the next round? Should I make sure my husband can come (he was going to be home for a contractor)?

2. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

I haven't taken the twins for doctor appointments/vaccines yet but I have with my other children. I think it would be good for your husband to go with you. I know when I take the kids for their shots like the flu they kinda do an assembly line type of thing. I start with the oldest and work my way down. So you husband can be holding one (who may be crying from getting shots) while the other is getting their vaccines.

Tip...do not give tylenol or other type of pain releivers (sp) before you go to the doctor. If something happens where they are sick or getting sick sometimes pedis will delay some shots. Of course you would likely know if your child is sick but sometimes they might have a fever or something else and not know it and the tylenol or motrin can mask those symtoms.

3. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

They can get a little bit of fever and they might have a sore leg and be a bit fussy afterward. I would definitely take your husband with you to calm the first one down afterward, and it's just easier to have a second set of hands if they are fussy. Make sure you have tylenol on hand for home.

If you're nursing, try nursing while they are giving the baby the vaccine. The first nurse we had gave me that tip and it's always worked really well to distract them and then they get the comfort immediately after :)

4. juliannepercy

juliannepercy Well-Known Member

We go on Friday for our first round. Just curious if others got the RotaTeq vaccine?

5. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

Is this the vaccine that protects against Rotovirus? It's liquid and the nurse squirts it in the baby's mouth. Both my girls got the vaccine and we never had any problems or reactions. We never had rotovirus either. My son didn't get it because it wasn't around when he was born.

6. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yeah if you could take your dh with you, I would advise it. When they are so little, they need to be comforted, held, etc. And if you are with one baby, the other is fending for themselves. Of course-if you can't do it-it will be fine. It just makes it a bit easier. And usually the nurses are understanding and will give you some time to settle the other baby down.

As for what to expect-my kids were pretty good with shots-until they were older. But you can expect some redness at the shot area, some slight fever, and irritability. You should get a sheet about the vaccines you are getting with info on what to look for and what to do. Good luck!

7. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

Mine never had any issues but did nap better that day. We did get rotateq too. It has very low chance of side effects and getting rotavirus is HORRIBLE!

8. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

With the first round of shots my two did cry and had a slight fever. But they slept awesome for the following two days after those shots. I cannot remember if they got the RotaTeq shot or not. I did have DH with me for the appointment and I was glad to, they both needed comforting after the appointment. Good luck!

9. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

also sometimes they get a little hard spot where they gave the shot (mine did anyway because their legs were sooooo skinny they had very little fat)...they cried for quite a while and the doc gave us the tylenol dosage based on weight while we were there...he recommended tylenol for 24 hours after ward....first round of shots were tough and they did get easier after that....

10. bbyboo1323

bbyboo1323 Well-Known Member

1st round of shots mine did cry and fuss a little but was over it in a minute. Each time got worse crying wise. Their leg may have been a teenie bit red but there roughest shots I think were the 6mth shots.

I would def try to have someone go with you. Each baby is goign to want comforting and holding afterwards especially

11. sruth

sruth Well-Known Member

I also noticed that everytime they get shots, they act funny for a few days. A bit more cranky than usual and when they got older their sleep was fussy too. So expect that and know it's only temporary...

12. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

Mine generally cry for a minute or two. I try to have them pretty much ready to go becausse if I get them in their car seats and go, they typically stop crying. They are generally a bit fussier or more tired for the rest of the day after their immunizations. But really it hasn't been a big deal at all.

13. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

We always got Tylenol at the doctor's office when we first went in so that we had about 20 mins before the shots. We only did that the first couple appts. They vaccinations were easier as babies than now. I was worried but then they cried for 20 seconds and were fine. I remember at 9 months they had a slight fever for about 24 hours. I think you will want your DH there to soothe one though. You will help hold them as the mother - don't worry - they won't hold it against you. :) You are the best person TO hold them. If you BF, nurse right after the shot and they will soothe very fast.