Fireworks, Just Don't Work For Us

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by cm301263, Jul 3, 2015.

1. cm301263

cm301263 Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who finds that the fireworks just don't work well to watch? I don't much care about the fireworks at my age but of course I would absolutely participate if it were something that worked for our family. The problem is.....it just doesn't.

My boys (who are 5 now) just can't stay up that late to watch them. They have always been ones to go to bed early. So many people for some time now, have thought it was crazy that they were in bed by 7 and sometimes even a little before that, depending on how crabby they are. It has always worked for our family, they are genuinely very tired by then.

There were a few occasions that they were up until about 8:30 or 9 because of some special event and it JUST did NOT work. They were so upset, tired and crabby and it was worse for them the next day.

Anyway...my point is that waiting until dusk (about 10 here) to watch fireworks is just not an option. I feel bad about that tho but they don't know any different and they don't even ask. I guess it will be something we can do when they are older.

In fact, there are many activities in and around our community going that are awesome and I would love to take them to, but they do not even START until 7pm. There is just no way we can participate which is sad. It is a bummer.

Anyway else in our position??

2. tarcoulis

tarcoulis Well-Known Member

We are lucky to have a great view of the town fireworks from our house so the kids go to bed right after they end but they're 10 now.  In previous years they have slept through the show or woken up to see it then went back to sleep.  

3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My kids do best being in bed early. We're just now able to stay up late (9pm-10pm) very occasionally. But as you said, we usually have to incorporate a recovery day into our late night. I'm not too worried about it. There will be plenty of time as they get older to really enjoy night time events.

1 person likes this.
  4. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine are early to bed kids, too. They did the fireworks last year, but this year we're all going together for the first time. On Sunday we'll probably have a nap time, swimming, dinner and early bed time.

My daughter can stay up quite late but gets GRUMPY. My boys tend to be early to bed, early up kids but can maintain better.

Honestly, I'm just dipping my toe into keeping them up for a special activity. I won't plan an activity that's late, nor attend too many, but a few times a year I can deal with it. :)

5. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

My kids are 5.5 and this is the first year we let them stay up to see fireworks - they were tired, but they made it until 10:30 last night. 

During the school year, they have been in bed by 8 regularly.  DH is a teacher, so we let them stay up until 8:30-8:45 for now since they can sleep as long as they want the next morning unlike during the school year when we get up at 6:45.  They don't really want to go to bed at 8 anyway now with it being light outside so late. 

During the school year, there are quite a few events we skip or leave early because of bed, like family events that don't start until 7, we usually don't bother.  When they were younger and in bed even earlier, we often skipped stuff.  I never felt the need to apologize.  I figure we're the ones who suffer if our kids our grumpy, so it's our choice.

6. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

Honestly, I miss going to see fireworks so much!  Fireworks are one of my favorite things and I haven't been in years because of the kids being too young, etc.  I really want to take my 3 year old tonight. 

7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

This.  My kids are 7 and they go to bed early.  We kept them up for the first time this year to watch fireworks on the back deck.  They did fine but they slept in yesterday and they were ready for bed last night.