Fetal heartbearts?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by oblivion, Mar 11, 2014.

1. oblivion

oblivion New Member

Heya guys!

Discovered - last week, actually - that I've got two little ones chilling in my belly. I'm about 13-14 weeks along and had a question for all of you moms that are further along / successful parents already..

I went in today to do a clean catch urine sample ( ding dang bladder infection won't leaaave :c ) and they did a doppler on the twins, but apparently the midwife I saw couldn't manage to pick up the other heartbeat? I thought I heard one at 160 and one at 150, but I'm no midwife / doctor so I couldn't be sure.. Also do need to note we never suspected twins until my 13 week ultrasound, and we'd never picked up dual tones beforehand.

My question to you all is.. did you always hear both twins heartbeats on dopplers? Did you even do dopplers? Will the heartbeats be easier to detect with age? I recently switched my care to another obgyn who seems a lot less ''no ultrasounds for you!! we don't do that here!!" so hopefully I'll have another ultrasound within the next week to affirm both babies are safe and sound.

Sorry for the randomness of this, haha. First time, 20 year old mom here. So you'll have to excuse my naitivty / fears about everything. Even farting is scary sometimes. Lol.

2. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry too much about not hearing the heartbeat that early.   My last pregnancy they couldn't find her heartbeat with a doppler until I was closer to 20 weeks along for whatever reason.  She's a healthy 3 week old now!

Congratulations and welcome to the world of twins!

3. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:welcome: to Twinstuff.

It's harder for them to pick up everyone's heartbeat and make sure it's A: not you B: not the baby they just measured.

I cycled through a practice of 7 obs who mostly either tried and failed to pick up both babies or just busted out the ultrasound machine. It worked for me at the time as I loved watching them, but now I'm a lot less of an interventionist so I might do it differently again.

FWIW, my little boys are 4.5 and healthy. 

4. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yup, totally normal to have trouble finding both heartbeats and confirm separate readings at that gestation. It's actually pretty tricky to get a singleton with a Doppler at that gestation so try not to worry. :)

5. oblivion

oblivion New Member

Katheros - Aah, that's crazy! 20 weeks feels so far away.. Seems all the good stuff happens around that time, haha. Congratulations on your little girl and thank you!

cheesewiz24 - Understandable. Just concerned me as the one they do seem to pick up they pick up almost immediatly and the heartbeat is so strong. We've been able to hear that baby since week 8. Only heard the other with the vaginal ultrasound machine. ( is there a name for that other than ''vaginal ultrasound machine'' LOL? )

Oh goodness. 4.5 is a good age. Bet the time goes really fast, though.

miss_bossy18 - Phew, good to hear. Hopefully I've been worrying over nothing.

Thank you all for the responses! Really do appreciate it. Trying not to get too worked up over it all.