Fetal Fibronectin test

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Mommy2PJ, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Mommy2PJ

Mommy2PJ Well-Known Member

Just curious if any of you have had this done? I just read about it in several places because my MFM is going to do one next week or possibly the following week.

If so, how often did you have it done? I'm not sure if he'll do mine weekly or what...

Also, is it just a vaginal swab type of thing like the group b strep, or is it something else? It sounds like they're only reliable if they're negative anyway. And if they're positive they could indicate pre term labor or you could still carry to 35+ weeks.

If you've had a positive one, what did they do? Thanks!

2. Mommy2PJ

Mommy2PJ Well-Known Member

Just curious if any of you have had this done? I just read about it in several places because my MFM is going to do one next week or possibly the following week.

If so, how often did you have it done? I'm not sure if he'll do mine weekly or what...

Also, is it just a vaginal swab type of thing like the group b strep, or is it something else? It sounds like they're only reliable if they're negative anyway. And if they're positive they could indicate pre term labor or you could still carry to 35+ weeks.

If you've had a positive one, what did they do? Thanks!

3. mooshie

mooshie Well-Known Member

I had one at 22 weeks because I was contracting, but I don't think I'd get another one unless it started up again. it's just a swab like with the strep test. mine was negative so we were just glad for the good results, and went on with life.

I'm not sure what they do with a positive one though since you're right, they're really only dependable if they're negative.

HTH
    Michelle

4. JASB

JASB Well-Known Member

I had one done at 30 weeks. It feels like a pap smear. You are correct if it is negative then that means you probably won't go into preterm labor. If it is positive then that means you could go into preterm labor in the next two weeks...the test as I knew it was only reliable for 2 weeks. The site I posted below explains it and it is fairly simple to understand.

My test came back negative, which was great. If it does come back positive then your Dr. could recommend some type of bed rest and probably monitor you more closely.

http://www.marchofdimes.com/professionals/681_1149.asp

5. lkfmommy

lkfmommy Well-Known Member

I had one at 28 weeks, brought on by not finding my cervix measurement at my 28 week u/s. It came back positive, it landed me in the hospital, on bedrest for 3 weeks with steroid shots ASAP.

It basically says if your LIKELY (not WILL!)to go into labor within the next two weeks. Keep in mind, it's very UNRELIABLE for twin pregnancies. I'd certainly follow your doctors orders if he puts you on bedrest from your result, but DON'T PANIC if it does come back positive.

My doc only did them if something indicated I should have one (such as not finding my cervix measurment at my 28 week u/s). Otherwise it wasnt a routine thing. It was over before I knew it, didn't feel a thing. It's just a swab of your cervix.

As an extra note, I had one done 3 weeks later, before I was sent home on bedrest and it came back negative. Almost exactly two weeks later, I had the twins...at 33 weeks. Do I think it was related to the FFN? Nope, it was just time for them to come.

6. stacy j

stacy j New Member

I ended up in the hospital at 27 weeks due to preterm labor. A FFN test was done at that time and it was negative. My doctor has done one every 2 weeks since then. I live in the Phoenix area, and an internationally reknown peri is the father of one of my co-workers. She asked him to stop by to see me, and this is how he explained it. He said that with twins, the test has only a 3% chance of being inaccurate. A negative test means that is is most likely that you will not deliver in the next 2 weeks, which is why my doctor continues to test me. I have been lucky enough to continue to have negative tests, so i don't know how things would change if it was positive. I do know that the procedure includes swabbing behind your cervix for a particular hormone. It is relatively uncomfortable, but doesn't last all that long.... good luck!

7. kuchar

kuchar Well-Known Member

I'm having one done at my next appointment, at 28 weeks. As the other posts have said, it is really only reliable if it is negative. If it comes back positive, it just means they couldn't rule out pre-term labor as a possibility, not that it definately will happen, or even that it probably will.
    Helen

8. hilly

hilly Well-Known Member

I had my first one done this past tuesday (24 weeks). My doc says she does them starting at 24 weeks with twins to be safe. It was a swab and then she checked my cervix, cervix is still long and thin and the test came back negative but she said I'll get it done every two weeks from this point.

She did say that if it came back positive it would be bed rest for me, no walking around and I'd have to arrange childcare for my daughter so I'm hoping it's never positive.